Favorite Season of the Year

What is your favorite season of the year?

• Spring

Votes: 3 9.7%
  • Summer

Votes: 9 29.0%
  • Fall (Autumn)

Votes: 18 58.1%
  • Winter

Votes: 1 3.2%
  • Other - I hate all of the ones above.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
My previous job I would make it a point to come into work on the big snow days as a big F U to the others, who lived closer, would call and say they couldnt make it!
In the trades, if you do not work, you do not make money. There is no guaranteed 40 or vacation fund. When I was still in the field, if I drove to work, I was working. It would be -5 windchill and blowing snow and I'd always take a gauge of the men. Most would come in coffee in hand expecting us to call it. I almost always made the day. Nothing is worse than having a sinus infection, bones aching, and having to get out of your warm truck and work all day in -5 at heights and on cold iron. But I needed to earn money so you did what you had to do. To this day I F-ing hate everything about winter because of those days.

And to make matters worse, if there is a seasonal disorder, I got it. Weeks of grey with everything dead, you wake up it is dark, you get home it is dark. Winter sucks.

In the trades, if you do not work, you do not make money. There is no guaranteed 40 or vacation fund. When I was still in the field, if I drove to work, I was working. It would be -5 windchill and blowing snow and I'd always take a gauge of the men. Most would come in coffee in hand expecting us to call it. I almost always made the day. Nothing is worse than having a sinus infection, bones aching, and having to get out of your warm truck and work all day in -5 at heights and on cold iron. But I needed to earn money so you did what you had to do. To this day I F-ing hate everything about winter because of those days.

And to make matters worse, if there is a seasonal disorder, I got it. Weeks of grey with everything dead, you wake up it is dark, you get home it is dark. Winter sucks.

The real reason IB hates Winter.
a christmas story GIF

I really did look good in that stocking hat. ?

Last edited:
We used to call this "Indian Summer", now racist. As a kid I remember always looking forward to the Tribune's cartoon. It made me fee nostalgic even as a young kid. Fall has always been a signpost in life, punctuating the passage of time.
Joe Walsh captured it pretty well on vinyl:

I prefer Spring and Fall. Color from blooms in the Spring or leaves turning colors in the Fall. Temperature is moderate, not too cold nor too hot. Best fishing is in Spring and Fall. Favorite sports start in Spring ( baseball) and Fall ( football). I hate the snow in winter and humidity in summer, while enjoying a light jacket in moderate temps of Spring/Fall. Summer means cutting grass, winter is shoveling snow while my favorite activity is kayaking in Spring /Fall temps and the colors of nature. Spring brings an Easter egg hunt for the kids and the Fall brings Halloween for their enjoyment. Life is better all round in Spring/Fall.

My previous job I would make it a point to come into work on the big snow days as a big F U to the others, who lived closer, would call and say they couldnt make it!
So last year they made a point of requiring a member of management to be onsite at all times. So during the snow storm in February this year I left for work 2 hours before I had to be at work so that I would make it to work. To add insult to injury the entire rest of my team got to WFH. The following morning my management relief, who lives 5 minutes away, came in and said he considered just working from home due to the roads. I had some not nice things to say to him about that attitude.

We used to call this "Indian Summer", now racist. As a kid I remember always looking forward to the Tribune's cartoon. It made me fee nostalgic even as a young kid. Fall has always been a signpost in life, punctuating the passage of time.

I did say "Indian Summer" didn't I? Beautiful weekend here in Cincinnati. The warm, sunny, days after the first frost of the year is absolutely the best. The sun is warm on your face but the air has that certain chill. The leaves are changing and starting to fall. Thank God for days like the past few.

Last edited:
It's Indian-Summer now in Central and Northern Ohio..
Can't have Indian-Summer until you've had a frost.

Has Cincinnati had a frost yet?

IN the film The Shootist Mrs. Rogers (Lauren Bacall) tells J.B. Books (John Wayne) that the season
is Fall-Spring...

:>---

SALT

Has Cincinnati had a frost yet?

SALT
Yes, two heavy frosts last week. 30 and 29 over night. Impatiens died out the first of the two nights and the geraniums have been badly frostbitten by the two nights together. I've had geraniums and roses come back if it stays nice long enough.

By the way, I heard it as "false spring" but I'll have to watch it sometime with captions.

Fall color seemed to come a few weeks late this year, but it's been on full display these last 4-5 days.

Yes, two heavy frosts last week. 30 and 29 over night. Impatiens died out the first of the two nights and the geraniums have been badly frostbitten by the two nights together. I've had geraniums and roses come back if it stays nice long enough.

By the way, I heard it as "false spring" but I'll have to watch it sometime with captions.

I think you're correct.

With 2 words that end and start with S the sound gets compressed (run together).
Never the less the gist of the meaning is warmer days in a brisk season.

SALT

When working outside.
The body get used to the temperature.
If the high is 60s
Spring time 60s feels warmer.

When working outside.
The body get used to the temperature.
If the high is 60s
Spring time 60s feels warmer.

It's relative...
February is so damn dismal, bare, and dreadful
March isn't much better, dark, damp, bleak, wet
When the nice days come, Those rare warm sunny
days just feel so much better.

EGA

It's relative...

EGA
The big difference tho...come Feb/March you know what is about to come! SUmmer!

Fall....at times very nice but you know that the summer is gone and ole man winter is knocking on the door.

It's relative...

EGA
January and February are just grey. Short days with no sunshine. Blowing and cold. Snow sticks around for weeks and gets nasty. You cannot even clean out your car. At least in March you start to see the sun and get days into the 40's and 50's and can actually do something outside without being absolutely miserable.

I made a thread a couple years ago where I asked the same question but broke the year up into sixths rather than quarters.

Using that same structure, here are my preferences:

1) Early Fall (September-October)
2) Late Spring (May-June)
3) Mid Summer (July-August)
4) Early Spring (March-April)
5) Late Fall (November-December)
6) Mid Winter (January-February)

The big difference tho...come Feb/March you know what is about to come! SUmmer!

Fall....at times very nice but you know that the summer is gone and ole man winter is knocking on the door.
Isn't that the truth!!!!! But I still like the Fall season the best. Best to worst with nothing in between.