Favorite HS FB stadium?

There are a number of us who would disagree. If I see a team has a grass field, that tells me that program is either a) poor, b) doesn't care, c) is stuck in the past, or d) some combination of the above. These days, you have to have an artificial surface just to be taken seriously.
I'll inform the citizens, parents, staff and players in Lucas that we are not to be taken seriously. Thanks for setting everyone straight. I've been saying the same thing for years. I've told my friends, "Ya know, we are never going to be taken seriously with this ridiculous natural grass field. All the programs that are taking this serious have turf. We are just stuck in the past. I mean, look around. We are just fooling ourselves here. The AD and the school board here do not care. What are we, poor?" That's what I told 'em.

Soft tissue and non contact injuries are SIGNIFICANTLY higher on turf than grass. So maybe schools aren't poor and care about their kids a little more?

I'll inform the citizens, parents, staff and players in Lucas that we are not to be taken seriously. Thanks for setting everyone straight. I've been saying the same thing for years. I've told my friends, "Ya know, we are never going to be taken seriously with this ridiculous natural grass field. All the programs that are taking this serious have turf. We are just stuck in the past. I mean, look around. We are just fooling ourselves here. The AD and the school board here do not care. What are we, poor?" That's what I told 'em.
Both things can be true. I would think Lucas folk take pride in their small town stadium. While others, lacking the pride the Cubs display, do actually just care much less about it.

There are a number of us who would disagree. If I see a team has a grass field, that tells me that program is either a) poor, b) doesn't care, c) is stuck in the past, or d) some combination of the above. These days, you have to have an artificial surface just to be taken seriously.

as do a growing number of NFL teams.

A good grass field has as much beginning expense as a turf. Getting a good draining base.... The Browns helped several districts install them. But it also takes a district willing to actually mow and care for it regularly. I've seen more than one really good field go to hell because of administrative neglect.

16 of the 30 NFL stadiums have grass.. and it's not b/c they're poor lol
Compare apples to oranges a little more.

Not just apples to apples, the same type of apple. Are you going to look at the biddy program to set the standards? The programs highly vested to their players choosing more and more to natural grass. So, not poor, do care, not stuck in the past or any combination of. Business decision. Same principles we would expect our schools to operate by: safety first and foremost, cost secondary though turf is not clearly less expensive to maintain than simple dirt and grass.

The discussion should IMO only be about the condition of the field.

A properly designed and maintained grass field is not slower, is apparently healthier approach to all the body product (skin, sweat...) that is released during a game, and can look just as good if that's an issue. For high school with its earlier season, this has been and is within the capabilities even of a field playing soccer and middle school football. The turn to turf is just as likely a business relationship with fabricated superiority.

Playability has to be a big reason schools move to turf. Most schools, not all, have their fields lined for football, soccer and lacrosse(boys and girls). Even the best grounds crew would be hard pressed to maintain a quality grass surface with that activity. All it takes is one rainy night.

There are a number of us who would disagree. If I see a team has a grass field, that tells me that program is either a) poor, b) doesn't care, c) is stuck in the past, or d) some combination of the above. These days, you have to have an artificial surface just to be taken seriously
Some folks would like to disagree.

image (1).png
IMG_20210920_092519 (1).jpg
20210930_123008rz.jpg
20211015_103927.jpg

The primary problem with grass fields is that they're almost entirely unused except for the varsity football games. This big expensive stadium and it's used so infrequently. To save the grass.

Turf can be used by so many things regardless of weather or that the varsity football game might be played there the next day. Not one PE class ever stepped foot on my school's grass field. That's a problem.

Turf allows that stadium to be used and get value for building such a stadium.

The primary problem with grass fields is that they're almost entirely unused except for the varsity football games. This big expensive stadium and it's used so infrequently. To save the grass.

Turf can be used by so many things regardless of weather or that the varsity football game might be played there the next day. Not one PE class ever stepped foot on my school's grass field. That's a problem.

Marion Local plays JH, frosh, JV and varsity games on the same field as do most MAC schools. Also band concerts. what is so expensive about maintaining a football stadium ?

Last edited:

Every field is almost entirely unused. Your accessment only for football games is way off though. Even in the old days, fields held up pretty good under practice and multiple sports. I'm of opinion that grass is more resilent and self-repairing than you are.

OHSAA has pretty much demanded turf choice by its play-off hosting rules. I've nothing against turf. Both systems can have their health issues and if that is looked after, all that should matter is field condition and hey, if a game gets scheduled on a less than perfect field, it's 'Merica. Tough it out.

It's old and not fancy, but Marion Local football field--the Flyers. Good concessions, clean bathrooms, grass field, home of The Nicest People in the World. I once took a little tumble (I'm a clumsy old woman) in the stands, nothing serious, but four men jumped from their seats to assist me. Now mind you, we were in the thick of a close game with Coldwater--THE game of the year, which is an understatement. Not once did their faces turn to the field. Their eyes were riveted on me. They literally carried me to the ground, and ALL FOUR were standing right there when I returned from the restroom. I was so embarrassed, but they put me at ease and picked me up and took me to my seat!! I was in tears at their kindness, but no one else even batted an eye. It's what they do, it's who they are. There's so much more great stuff, but after going there for many, many years (I was actually more than an hour away, near Dayton), I still see it as a place of joy, goodness, yummy food, the best high school football in OH, and MAGIC. Beat that!
P.S. What you read above is one of the "reasons" why ML is so good, and why it's so hard to put into words. If you don't understand or think that's a silly statement, please move along...

Like you I am totally bias but agree for several reasons besides what you mentioned. Marion Local is my favorite....

Very well kept small town grass field.
Newer, good size visitors bleachers inside old track, so close to action if you like.
Halftime, 200' to the Korner Kafe with outside bar.
Good viewing and walking around to follow action in front of home stands if you like to stand like me.
Tradition. Many fans show up and 50/50 that almost always goes 4 digits and with the Coldwater game, $10,000 min.
Country atmosphere, something about the sight and sound white noise (when not overwhelmed by the other fan noise) by of a large grain mill drying grain next door at sunset on a calm night, it is truly magical.

Last edited:
Bad location for playoffs, basically next to PA and not much of a midway point between significant fan bases to fill a 7,200 seater. One notable exception could be Steubenville but they have placed them at other Y-Town stadiums in the past.
The Campbell Memorial basketball program had a big revival this past season. Some big crowds came to the field house. Football is a different animal however. But, the main reason for not getting playoff games is that Campbell is simply too far east.

Last edited:
Some of my favorites. A few known and unknown.

Shaker Heights

Chagrin Falls

Beallsville

Caldwell

Steubenville Catholic Central (all because of the grass hill; Only played here due to Covid)

Steubenville (Harding Stadium)

I'll post some out of state ones later.

The Campbell Memorial basketball program had a big revival this past season. Some big crowds came to the field house. Football is a different animal however. However, the main reason for not getting playoff games is that Campbell is simply too far east.
Think Mogadore D6, sometimes D7 could have played there, especially against Springfield...

How do you pronounce Beallsville?

Beallsville /ˈbɛlzvɪl/

hem, well that was helpful

Kind of a long trip. It looks like a fun stadium to visit, cemetary and all. Has a diner, gas station probably still gives green stamps.

Best stadium in the country...

Bristol Municipal Stadium in Bristol, TN. AKA the Stone Castle

Home of the Tennessee Vikings of Tennessee High School.

Got to attend three games here. One back in 2015, and two on the sidelines last spring. Though the games were moved from Virginia to the Stone Castle because of turf. The rain was unrelenting and I didn't get anymore exterior shots. Just the long lens inside the stadium trying to stay dry.

How do you pronounce Beallsville?

Beallsville /ˈbɛlzvɪl/

hem, well that was helpful

Kind of a long trip. It looks like a fun stadium to visit, cemetary and all. Has a diner, gas station probably still gives green stamps.
I've only ever heard it pronounced Bells like ring a bell, ville. Not Ally McBeal's ville.

Second best stadium in the country:

Round Valley Dome in Eagar, Arizona. The only domed high school stadium (owned by the school and just for the school, nobody else plays there)

Unfortunately, the yellow is the lighting. I tried to color-correct it, but it just made Round Valley's black and yellow into black and white. This is the color you see if you're at the stadium. So, I kept it true color as much as possible. Hopefully they update the lighting with some clear LEDs and no more of these old lights.

52 yard field goal at 7000+ feet in a dome. Still counts.

Sykotyk,
Great photos. Especially the Stone Castle. Reminds me of my recent trip to Dubrovnik, with all the cobblestone.

Here's a few from a rather new stadium near me, Tahquitz HS.
Great facility, ho-hum football usually:

Attachments

• Tahquitz visitors.jpg
    Tahquitz visitors.jpg
    240.1 KB · Views: 28
  • Taquitz home.jpg
    Taquitz home.jpg
    226.5 KB · Views: 28