Favorite HS FB stadium?

Not many high schools have a double decker stadium.

There is a wall beneath the upper level section (the gray section in the picture) for fans who prefer to stand to watch games. That wall is part of the original 1936 structure and was preserved for that reason. The upper level seats are among the best in the area. The stadium does not have a band shell because the numbers of the band are small.

I was in uniform. That was a fun locker room afterwards.
I know this is old, I haven't been on here in a while, but just wanted to stop and say the locker room was indeed NOT fun after that game.

In all seriousness looking back 10+ years later I am still in awe about being a part of the pinnacle of the SH/CW rivalry. I will never forget the atmosphere around town the week leading up to that game, and then going into the stadium for warmups, I still get chills. We had that game won so many times, but I give you guys all the credit you never rolled over, never gave up. Its been 13 years and I still lay awake some nights thinking about that game.

To everyone saying I'm wrong about the distance to the field compared to the height, I want you to go to a game at The Pit, and make sure you sit in the front row at the 50 yard line. You will be closer to the action than probably any venue in the state. Tell me how great your viewing experience will be.

As I stated before, the distance from the field does very little to your viewing compared to your elevation.
The visitor stands in Steubenville have to be the closest any fan can get to the field. The sideline can’t be more than 6 feet wide. But your point is well taken.

The visitor stands in Steubenville have to be the closest any fan can get to the field. The sideline can’t be more than 6 feet wide. But your point is well taken.
IIRC, the Visitor bench itself was a tad under....or even with...the front overhang of the stands.

Mansfields Stadium is by far my favorite.

Attachments

• 8A4F21E7-B8EF-4CCF-92B8-DF442A9C8368.jpeg
    8A4F21E7-B8EF-4CCF-92B8-DF442A9C8368.jpeg
    67.5 KB · Views: 58
Mansfield Tyger stadium is under-appreciated by many. Outstanding high school football venue. Also, Upper Arlington's Moorhead Memorial Stadium is also under-rated. An excellent facility.

Best stadium in the country...

Bristol Municipal Stadium in Bristol, TN. AKA the Stone Castle

Home of the Tennessee Vikings of Tennessee High School.

Got to attend three games here. One back in 2015, and two on the sidelines last spring. Though the games were moved from Virginia to the Stone Castle because of turf. The rain was unrelenting and I didn't get anymore exterior shots. Just the long lens inside the stadium trying to stay dry.

Looks more like an 1800’s prison from the outside😂

Honestly, just looking up other associations, reading newspapers from those states, etc. A lot of it is just researching because I'm interested in going to those states for games. Then once I know of them I just keep tabs to see how things change.

Like this season will be the first state wide state championships in New Jersey.
Sykotyk, you’ve been all over the country and seen the best of the best and probably some of the worst. Does Harding Stadium in Steubenville make your top 20 best?

I've always been a sucker for the way Lakewood First Federal Stadium gets rocking when my eagles face those wildcats! Go Eagles!

Dover was named as having the best atmosphere in the country, but as far as watching a game Steubenville takes it, you are basically on the field.

The visitor side and end zones seating are nothing special. The home side is what gives the stadium a unique look and style.

Good morning all.

Several years ago, my best friend and I started what I called The Friday Night Express. Since all of our kids were finished with high school, we decided to just pick "a game" every week somewhere in Northeast Ohio and attend. It really became something to look forward to each season as we weren't being locked into watching our own schools same 7 or 8 opponents every season. We have seen some real duds of games and we have seen some thrilling finishes. Can't have one without the other.

Along the way, I have seen a number of really cool facilities our youngsters play in. I don't want to limit this to just NE Ohio, but I would like to hear what everyone's favorite places to see a game are. If you want to say why, that's cool too. I will start with a few of mine.

Griffin Stadium - Buchtel: I grew up back in the '60s on the west side of Akron. My brother and I would walk the half a dozen blocks to Buchtel for a Saturday afternoon game. There was a kind, older gentleman working the ticket gate who would see us, and when the time was right - he would let us into the game to watch for free. We both still love HS FB, and that man's discretion was a key reason why. We both looked up at the players then and thought they were the size of monsters. Great memories!

Green Street Stadium - SVSM: This is my current "home" stadium, but this facility is tied heavily into my family's history. My dad was V51. As a adolescent and high schooler, he was on the work crew that built the original stadium. A lot of my family's relatives were too. So there always is that special connection with family no longer with us when I go to Green Street. My daughter was a percussionist in the Marching Band in her high school years. Anyone who is or was a parent of a band member knows you become married to the concession stand during your child's time there. I met some lifelong friends through that.
Now when I go to the renovated and rebuilt stadium, it is even better. Once the sun sets, the panorama of the downtown Akron buildings is breathtaking. Make you appreciate how that stadium was shoehorned into a landlocked piece of real estate.

Alumni Stadium - Uniontown Lake: I have been here half a dozen times. I always liked how the natural landscape of a bowl was used for the seating. It insulates the players from the surroundings. I do remember watching a playoff game out here one year and being the coldest I have ever been. I could not stop my teeth from chattering.

Wildcat Stadium - Mogadore: If I had a top 3 list, this facility would definitely be included. When I read John Grisham's book "Bleachers" the mental image I had in my head was Mogadore. The entire Mogadore community embraces the Wildcat program. It seems like the entire town rolls the sidewalks up and comes to the stadium on Friday nights. Special.

JAG Field - Garretsville Garfield: Been here a couple of times. Again, I really dig the rural smaller school experience. JAG Field rises above Route 88, and its lights pierce the night sky. Let's just say the seating can be "intimate". But if memory serves me correctly, the concession stand serves "G Men Nachos" which are the absolute bomb - best I ever tasted.

There are many more - but I want to hear for the Yappi community. Have at it.
The pic of Withrow, appears to be a lot like IGGY'S homefield, that was on the front of their game program, in 2002.

That being said, I think one of the most unique stadiums that I have seen in my home state is, Elbert County's Granite Bowl, in Elberton, Georgia. The proclaimed granite capital of the world. It is located adjacent to their old high school. And it was honed out of a granite hill in the form of a horseshoe. Many claim that it has a capacity of some 15,000 seats. And it is the high school homefield of UGA/K.C. Chiefs WR Mecole Hardman. It also sports what may possibly be the best high school scoreboard in the country. UGA was about to update their previous scoreboard. When an Elbert County/UGA alum, asked what they would do with the old one? The answer was, Salvation Army. And all that needed be said was, The Elbert County Football Booster Club, will handle the shipping cost to Elberton! And the rest is history.

The visitor side and end zones seating are nothing special. The home side is what gives the stadium a unique look and style.
If you mean the support poles for the roof. It's very similar to Mills Memorial Stadium in Albany, Georgia. The previous home for the Albany Cardinals minor league baseball club. Where the outfield previously resided, now sits a new 10,000 seat homestands. The old home seating is now provided to accommodate visitors of Monroe/Westover High Schools. Stadium capacity of approx. 17,000.

This is where it all started for my buddy and me. We went up to Parma to see Ignatius take on Glenville. Great game. Wildcats win it in the last 20 seconds on a diving catch in the end zone.

View attachment 29593
LOOKS as though they've added quite a few seats to the visitor's side, since I went to see the top twenty-five matchup between IGGY and Erie Cathedral Prep in 2002!

The pic of Withrow, appears to be a lot like IGGY'S homefield, that was on the front of their game program, in 2002.

That being said, I think one of the most unique stadiums that I have seen in my home state is, Elbert County's Granite Bowl, in Elberton, Georgia. The proclaimed granite capital of the world. It is located adjacent to their old high school. And it was honed out of a granite hill in the form of a horseshoe. Many claim that it has a capacity of some 15,000 seats. And it is the high school homefield of UGA/K.C. Chiefs WR Mecole Hardman. It also sports what may possibly be the best high school scoreboard in the country. UGA was about to update their previous scoreboard. When an Elbert County/UGA alum, asked what they would do with the old one? The answer was, Salvation Army. And all that needed be said was, The Elbert County Football Booster Club, will handle the shipping cost to Elberton! And the rest is history.
Seen the stadium but not for a game. Definitely on my long term list to attend a game there.