Fairport coach resigns due to low numbers

Fairport is still going to try and have a season under an interim coach. Sounds like their numbers will be closer to 15 or 16 soon. They had 24 players that were in grades 9-11 at the end of 2020. Not sure how that number dropped to 9, but it appears that the coach implied his impact on the program and getting guys plugged in had been exhausted. The coach seems to have a good reputation among his peers and even some in the Fairport community. Who knows what happened. Tough to be a coach, let alone one in a tiny district.

sort of reminds me of Sidney's old field right next to the school. The coaches in the press box were actually in a classroom of the school
that was pretty cool place to play.... dress in classrooms, and walk down thru the stands to get to the field......

No shame in it, you are more than welcome to try and get people to play us if you want. Its a struggle every year.
Bro come now I have no dog in this fight but if JFK is having that much of a problem finding a team to play then start scheduling up a division or 2 or play a out of state team lol

Finding local teams to play is damn near impossible. I'm very glad that we have joined the PTC.
Now that we can agree bro being a Massillon fan and having a nice amount of high schools in our area an only 2 play us every year is absolutely ridiculous

Fairport is still going to try and have a season under an interim coach. Sounds like their numbers will be closer to 15 or 16 soon. They had 24 players that were in grades 9-11 at the end of 2020. Not sure how that number dropped to 9, but it appears that the coach implied his impact on the program and getting guys plugged in had been exhausted. The coach seems to have a good reputation among his peers and even some in the Fairport community. Who knows what happened. Tough to be a coach, let alone one in a tiny district.
That's Sooooo crazy to hear for because I coach youth football and our new program we got 9 teams over 220 kids and our 8u team was about to have 34 kids if we didnt make another team its crazy how a high school can struggle on numbers that bad

Bro, Kennedy only had 1 team from D7 on its schedule, Bro, and that was Fairport. Takes about 5 minutes to see we always play up, bro.
Bro come now I have no dog in this fight but if JFK is having that much of a problem finding a team to play then start scheduling up a division or 2 or play a out of state team lol

That's Sooooo crazy to hear for because I coach youth football and our new program we got 9 teams over 220 kids and our 8u team was about to have 34 kids if we didnt make another team its crazy how a high school can struggle on numbers that bad
Youth teams almost always have more interest per grade than high school. Kids get jaded over time and drop off during 5th-9th grade. That’s how it works everywhere. If interest kept getting higher and higher, Massillon would have 50+ seniors every year.

Do you know anything about Fairport? It is a tiny community with around 25-30 boys per grade. Getting 25% of the boys in your school to come out for football is not an easy thing to do.

Youth teams almost always have more interest per grade than high school. Kids get jaded over time and drop off during 5th-9th grade. That’s how it works everywhere. If interest kept getting higher and higher, Massillon would have 50+ seniors every year.

Do you know anything about Fairport? It is a tiny community with around 25-30 boys per grade. Getting 25% of the boys in your school to come out for football is not an easy thing to do.
When they get into the 9th grade, the eligibility rules takes place. So many good athletes; unfortunately, don't work as hard in the classroom as they do on the field. One of the reason there is a drop in participation.