Euro 2020 Discussion

Chop Stix

24 of Europe's best men's national soccer teams are facing off in the month-long tournament that started Friday, June 11th and is taking place in 11 venues across the continent.

The tournament (which occurs every 4 years) still retains its original name of "Euro 2020" despite being postponed one year and taking place in the summer of 2021.

Please use this thread to discuss countries you are cheering for, players you are excited to watch, and specific match events/results.

Through the first few days of the tournament, some of the major headlines have been:

-Denmark's Christian Eriksen suffering cardiac arrest in the middle of the match and needing to be resuscitated on the pitch.
---The match was suspended in the 43rd minute and was completed several hours later with Finland beating Denmark 1-0

-Netherlands and Ukraine facing off in the most exciting match of the tournament so far with Ukraine coming back in the 2nd half from a 2-0 deficit to tie the game at 2 in the 79th minute. Netherlands would score again in the 85th minute and win 3-2.

-Czech Republic striker Patrick Schick scoring from 50 yards out over Scotland keeper David Marshall in the Czech's 2-0 victory this morning.

A lot of players are not happy about the schedule this year and are worried aboutplayer safety. They had a full club season followed by UEFA club championship followed by Euro 2020 followed by WC qualifying then back to the club season. Not muchof an off-season for the better players.

Spain dominates Sweden in possession but blows a few golden chances to score and the match finishes as the first 0-0 draw of the competition.

Sweden actually had a very good chance to score in each half themselves.

Looking forward to Germany France tomorrow. Germany has 8 Bayern Munich players on their roster while I have always liked Benzema on the French side.

Person A: “I refuse to watch Euro 2020”

Person B: “You don’t like soccer?”

Person A: “I don’t like Europe”

How did France, Germany, AND Portugal end up in the same group? That’s insane

Luck of the draw

• Pot 1: Group winners ranked 1–6 -----Germany, #4 in Pot 1
  • Pot 2: Group winners ranked 7–10, group runners-up ranked 1–2 (11–12 overall) -----France, #1 in Pot 2
  • Pot 3: Group runners-up ranked 3–8 (13–18 overall) -----Portugal, #1 in Pot 3
  • Pot 4: Group runners-up ranked 9–10 (19–20 overall), play-off winners A–D (identity unknown at the time of the draw) -----Hungary, #3 in Pot 4

Looking forward to Germany France tomorrow. Germany has 8 Bayern Munich players on their roster while I have always liked Benzema on the French side.

France has been my favorite international team since I first saw them on TV in 1998.

Les Bleus have 4 players in their squad who play for Bayern Munich, making it the most highly represented club team on their roster.

Looking like the knockout stage will be a bunch of the usuals.

So far I think Italy has looked the most well-rounded albeit against some craptastic teams

Scotland vs. England is the premier match today. Didn't know that their game in 1937 was the largest attended soccer match in history, almost 150,000 packed into a stadium to see these two sides play>

hampden-park-1930s-cup-final.jpg

Scotland vs. England is the premier match today. Didn't know that their game in 1937 was the largest attended soccer match in history, almost 150,000 packed into a stadium to see these two sides play>

hampden-park-1930s-cup-final.jpg

Very cool factoid and awesome picture. I'll be cheering for Scotland this afternoon although I'm not expecting a miracle from them.

Very cool factoid and awesome picture. I'll be cheering for Scotland this afternoon although I'm not expecting a miracle from them.
After a little research I saw that there was basically no seating in the bowl, everyone stood packed in like that the entire match. Also there is a Wikipedia citation: The 1937 Scotland v England match had an official attendance of 149,415, but at least 20,000 more people entered the ground without tickets.
034acdb090b9a22618d1334d10306f54.jpg

It also appears if you had to go that wall was the place to relieve yourself, a couple fans look like they are zipping up after a visit to the latest in 1930s plumbing.

I know it is an easy group but Belgium is looking very solid and worthy of Fifa's #1 ranking.

Denmark's 4-1 win over Russia today produced the most exhilarating atmosphere I've seen in the tournament thus far.

Denmark becomes the first team in Euro history to advance to the knockout stage after losing their first two group games.

Round of 16 games start tomorrow.

Saturday, June 26th
Wales vs Denmark 12 pm
Italy vs Austria 3 pm

Sunday, June 27th
Netherlands vs Czech Republic 12 pm
Belgium vs Portugal 3 pm

Monday, June 28th
Croatia vs Spain 12 pm
France vs Switzerland 3 pm

Tuesday, June 29th
England vs Germany 12 pm
Sweden vs Ukraine 3 pm

I look for
Denmark Italy
Netherlands Portugal
Croatia France
Germany Sweden

QF pairings

Croatia France

Italy Portugal

Denmark Netherlands

Germany Sweden

Last edited:
The two matches up in the air for me are Spain vs Croatia and Wales vs Denmark. Croatia is an experienced team and if Spain show their age, they could lose. There's very little separating Denmark and Wales. I could see them going to penalties.

Italy have been the most solid team of the tournament so far, IMO. They played a weak group but they completely dominated. Austria will need to play the best game they've ever played while hoping Italy forget to show up. 2-0 Italy.

The Czechs aren't a pushover by any means but the Netherlands are going to be too much for them. 3-1.

Portugal has not been impressive to me. They needed a miracle against Hungary and got throttled by Germany, and unless Belgium come out slow, I could see a similar type of game. 4-2 Belgium.

France could sleepwalk this game. 3-0.

As mentioned before, England have looked like dogshat. Germany haven't been the most consistent but they've at least flashed their quality. Unless England suddenly wake up and figure out how to play as a team, they will lose. 2-1 Germany.

Ukraine is probably the weakest team to advance. Sweden is no juggernaut but they are certainly the better team here. 2-0.

QF:
Italy vs Belgium
France vs Spain
Sweden vs Germany
Netherlands vs Denmark

Last edited:
QF:
Italy vs Belgium
France vs Croatia
Sweden vs England
Netherlands vs Denmark

England v Germany is the hardest match to pick, both underwhelming but then again the way the bracket is set up either one could be in the finals. Slight nod to the Three Lions since they are playing in London.

Wild game today. I don’t think Spain has what it takes to beat France but it could be closer than I thought before this last game