Esports

Irwin20

On my former Pennsylvania high schools Facebook page they noted that esports (electronic sports) as a new PIAA approved sport to their varsity sport offering.

Maybe I’m naive but I don’t remember this being an offering in Ohio. Anyone every heard of HS esports?

I tried watching this thing on ESPN once and was thoroughly board. In my world a lot of hype around it as the next big sports marketing thing and a way to grow the business but it is has so far had 0 traction. One guy suggested they start play at 3:00 AM as that is prime time for gamers.

I tried watching this thing on ESPN once and was thoroughly board. In my world a lot of hype around it as the next big sports marketing thing and a way to grow the business but it is has so far had 0 traction. One guy suggested they start play at 3:00 AM as that is prime time for gamers.
They should also have to play from their parent's basement.

Zero traction so far? There's 250 teams competing in the OHSAA supported State Tournament. Nearly every college now offers scholarships. Individual streamers can average 25,000 or more views on their own streams which they then profit off of.

Not really my thing. And obviously not yours. But to say it has gained zero traction is a bit foolish

Not visceral enough. Needs to go in this direction:

1675517635065.png

Zero traction so far? There's 250 teams competing in the OHSAA supported State Tournament. Nearly every college now offers scholarships. Individual streamers can average 25,000 or more views on their own streams which they then profit off of.

Not really my thing. And obviously not yours. But to say it has gained zero traction is a bit foolish
It’s not turning into $s yet, that’s the traction I’m talking about. Many larger companies have bought into various licensing deals and have yet to break even. Ratings are also below expectations. Those participation numbers need to turn into revenue for others at some point or the model will not be sustainable. One theory is this “Sport” is just not cool so not everyone wants to represent the brands unlike another newer sport like X-Games.

Nothing is more boring than watching someone else play a video game.

People hang on every move of a chess match. Different interests for different people I guess. I've never watched someone play a video game. I might try it at least once. I do think Zu has the better idea. Remote people controlling computer generated characters isn't as cool as remote people controlling physical things that smash into each other.

Nothing is more boring than watching someone else play a video game.
I never minded watching my friends play when I was in younger, especially if it was a game or video game system I didn't know how to use. However, my current TV has a bunch of internet channels with a few of the channels dedicated to watching people play specific video games. That stuff does nothing for me.

My school supposedly started up an esports team this year, but I have no idea if and when they meet. The school bought and assembled a bunch of new computers to help the cause. Gaming PCs require a lot more memory and upgraded sound and video vs. a regular PC. My laptop was not cheap but cost pocket change vs. a laptop designed for gaming.

Also, my school just relaunched a chess club for the 100th time. No clue if Academic Challenge season has begun yet and if my school still has a team for it. A couple boys tried to start up a disc golf club years ago, but it died after 1 outing.

I'm still waiting for competitive eating to trickle down to the HS level.

Last edited:
Not visceral enough. Needs to go in this direction:

View attachment 38686
No joke. I've been thinking for some time the direction physical sports may go. Stadium and team costs become tech costs.

WJ-OSU-STEELERS said:
Last Saturday, the first Saturday to not have a football game on tv since August, ESPN had an Excel competition on tv.
I’m waiting for the PowerPoint season to begin.

Access for me. Word anyone?

No clue if Academic Challenge season has begun yet and if my school still has a team for it.
Unless they’re doing the show on WEWS, I’m pretty sure they don’t have one. I’ve never seen them on the circuit (not even when I’m up that way.)

The only school I’m aware of in said county having one is Hoover.

Excel is where I excel. Nobody can freeze pane or find and replace like me!

I can text-to-column and data-sort with the best. We should team.

lol, anyone else remember not too long ago, someone on here was trying to sort some data. For a short term, that thread was as active and competitive as anything in the DB.