Elder Wrestling 2021-2022

You are correct POTP, this young man had one of the best State Tourney's I have seen from an Elder Wrestler (obviously not the State Champs) in a while. His only loss was to (IMHO) the eventual State Champ. Congrats to Konner and all involved with his success.

Coach McCoy
You called that one right, Coach. Cole Evans won by decision 4-0 over Adam Butler, St. Eds.

First of all, farewell to seniors Brent Stahl, Drew Magness, Cody Wolf, and Connor Woods. Best of luck to them in all their future endeavors, whether or not that includes wrestling in college.
Before last weekend the Wall of Champions had 50 entries representing 38 Elder wrestlers who have placed at the state tournament. In a memorable freshman season Konner Lambers added his name to the Wall, joining only Nick Spatola to have done so as a freshman (I think, I’m 99 and 44/100% sure I am correct on this one). Three Panthers placed three times: Nick Spatola (’98, ’99, and ’01), Orlando Scales (’07, ’08, and ’09), and Ian Korb (’09, 10, and ’11). No Panther has ever placed four times.
Merely out of curiosity, I wonder whether Spatola did not make it out of the district tournament his junior year or he had suffered an injury. Coach McCoy, any recollection on this one?
As for next year, here is the Panther lineup at the Middletown sectional minus the seniors and with the other starters’ classes as of next year:
106: Konner Lambers (sophomore)
113: Joey Thamann (sophomore)
120:
126: Joey DiTullio (sophomore)
132:
138: Brady Mentz (junior)
144: Andrew Thamann (senior)
150: Lucas Kurzhals (junior)
157: Anthony Lay (senior)
165:
175:
190: Ian James (junior)
215: Bradley Sims (senior)
285: Michael Yerian (junior)
Some of these wrestlers took their lumps this year, but they can look to Kody Kaimann (’21) for inspiration: he had a tough sophomore year (under .500), improved to an over .500 record his junior year, and was a state qualifier as a senior.
Or they can look to Adam Klaserner (’18). As a junior, Klaserner didn’t wrestle a varsity match. His senior year, he claimed 138, wrestled in every meet and tournament, and was a district qualifier. He tallied a pretty impressive 30-17 senior campaign.
As for next year’s GCL-S, LaSalle will return six of their nine state qualifiers, including Holden Huhn (sophomore next year), who finished second at 113. In the finals Huhn ran into fellow frosh Marcus Blaze of Perrysburg, whose 113 title at Ironman last December was a sign that Blaze was going to have a big year. He beat Huhn by major decision and finished 55-0.
Moeller will return three of their seven state qualifiers. They are Jared Johnston (junior next year), who finished fourth at 113; Londen Murphy (sophomore next year), who finished fifth at 126; and Will Adkins (sophomore next year), who wrestled at 215.
St. Xavier did not have any state qualifiers this year but they will return three of their district qualifers. They are Ty Wynn, Luke Conway, and Abraham Duvall; all will be seniors next year.
Until next year, aloha.

First of all, farewell to seniors Brent Stahl, Drew Magness, Cody Wolf, and Connor Woods. Best of luck to them in all their future endeavors, whether or not that includes wrestling in college.
Before last weekend the Wall of Champions had 50 entries representing 38 Elder wrestlers who have placed at the state tournament. In a memorable freshman season Konner Lambers added his name to the Wall, joining only Nick Spatola to have done so as a freshman (I think, I’m 99 and 44/100% sure I am correct on this one). Three Panthers placed three times: Nick Spatola (’98, ’99, and ’01), Orlando Scales (’07, ’08, and ’09), and Ian Korb (’09, 10, and ’11). No Panther has ever placed four times.
Merely out of curiosity, I wonder whether Spatola did not make it out of the district tournament his junior year or he had suffered an injury. Coach McCoy, any recollection on this one?
As for next year, here is the Panther lineup at the Middletown sectional minus the seniors and with the other starters’ classes as of next year:
106: Konner Lambers (sophomore)
113: Joey Thamann (sophomore)
120:
126: Joey DiTullio (sophomore)
132:
138: Brady Mentz (junior)
144: Andrew Thamann (senior)
150: Lucas Kurzhals (junior)
157: Anthony Lay (senior)
165:
175:
190: Ian James (junior)
215: Bradley Sims (senior)
285: Michael Yerian (junior)
Some of these wrestlers took their lumps this year, but they can look to Kody Kaimann (’21) for inspiration: he had a tough sophomore year (under .500), improved to an over .500 record his junior year, and was a state qualifier as a senior.
Or they can look to Adam Klaserner (’18). As a junior, Klaserner didn’t wrestle a varsity match. His senior year, he claimed 138, wrestled in every meet and tournament, and was a district qualifier. He tallied a pretty impressive 30-17 senior campaign.
As for next year’s GCL-S, LaSalle will return six of their nine state qualifiers, including Holden Huhn (sophomore next year), who finished second at 113. In the finals Huhn ran into fellow frosh Marcus Blaze of Perrysburg, whose 113 title at Ironman last December was a sign that Blaze was going to have a big year. He beat Huhn by major decision and finished 55-0.
Moeller will return three of their seven state qualifiers. They are Jared Johnston (junior next year), who finished fourth at 113; Londen Murphy (sophomore next year), who finished fifth at 126; and Will Adkins (sophomore next year), who wrestled at 215.
St. Xavier did not have any state qualifiers this year but they will return three of their district qualifers. They are Ty Wynn, Luke Conway, and Abraham Duvall; all will be seniors next year.
Until next year, aloha.
Unfortunately Spatola was injured at the District Tourney that year (severe ankle injury in the quarterfinals). He had to default that match and tried to come back the next day but it was impossible. He was definitely a top 6 in the state that year and would have placed. But life is not always fair right. He had an outstanding high school career.

Coach McCoy