Elder vs West Hi on Thanksgiving

Vincent and Regina

The game stopped being played on Thanksgiving before my time, but I had a few questions about the game/day.

I know the Parade happened before the game, Is it true that the direction of the parade always went from the visiting school to the hosting school? So in other words the direction of the parade could sometimes go west on Glenway and other times east on Glenway depending on the year?

What years did the game happen at Riverfront? What were the crowds like?

What time did the game happen? Did it wait for the parade to end before the game?

The game started at 10AM, most of the games I remember where played at Elder. One game was played at the old high school where Cincinnati State is now. A couple games where played at Riverfront Stadium.

The game always started at 10 in the morning, because a lot of people ate their dinner early. The parade was a big deal, both schools had floats in the parade. I always remember it going from West High to Elder.

The final Thanksgiving game was played at Riverfront Stadium in 1978; West High had lost 20 straight to the Panthers. In the second quarter, Elder had fourth and goal at the one, but the Mustangs, led by Linwood Marshall, held. They later scored a td and won 6-0. Marshall went on to play at the Ohio State University before finishing up at U.C.
That year West High won its first outright Public High School League championship in 20 years. The Mustangs also had the best record in Price Hill that year at 8-1-1 because Elder finished 8-2; I bet that hasn't happened again since then.

I remember my two aunts taking me to my first Elder game in like 1972. We came up into the Pit from the entrance in the Horseshoe. It was so cold and we stood up in the end zone closest to the school. My two biggest memories were seeing guys live Steve Grote and the Miller brothers play. Also St. Lawrence bakery sold glazed donuts and hot chocolate and I’m not sure donuts ever tasted better.

I also remember going to the last Thanksgiving game in 1978. My day was ruined after that. Lol

I saw my cousin play in the 1975 or 78 game at Riverfront. The crowd was large and electric! Gosh I remember all the parades down Glenway. It is so cool the tradition lives on!

I saw my cousin play in the 1975 or 78 game at Riverfront. The crowd was large and electric! Gosh I remember all the parades down Glenway. It is so cool the tradition lives on!
The 1956 game was billed as the City Championship. Elder won the GCL and West Hi won the PHSL. My brother was the Elder Captain. West Hi won 20-13. The first and last time I heard my dad use the f word. Cold turkey that day. Worst Thanksgiving ever

The game started at 10AM, most of the games I remember where played at Elder. One game was played at the old high school where Cincinnati State is now. A couple games where played at Riverfront Stadium.
Trechter Stadium @ Central High School / Courter Tech High School. My uncle started at center a couple of years in the late 50s. Alma mater of Dave Parker.

Last edited:
At least in my lifetime, while rarely competitive, there was a lot of anticipation and build up for the game.

Both teams typically had around two weeks off. Elder, Seton, and West Hi kids would paint seasonal and/or game themed scenes in business windows all along Glenway from Prouts Corner out to West Hi. I never really cared for parades, so I didn't go out of my way to see it. The back way on St. Lawrence Ave. worked much better if going straight to the game. And of course, most of us knew we were coming home to an early feast with family. After that on tv, the Lions would lose to somebody.

You younger guys never saw this. Try to imagine The Pit with 13-14000+ people backed to the gills. All aisles and steps were full of fans. The entire hill and steps by the flagpole were packed. The end zone at the open end had people standing. It would be great to share if anyone has an old photo. The older guys know I'm not exaggerating. I wouldn't be surprised if safety concerns forced it to move after the '72 game. What's the problem, they were only 40% over capacity. Great times.

This photo is tiny, but gives an idea of how crowded The Pit was for the Thanksgiving Day game. This is from the 1971 game.

1638481403782.png

Saw the photo recently on FB: https://www.facebook.com/groups/625762414694115/posts/954575631812790/

In the video at the top of this thread and in the one posted today, I noticed female cheerleaders for Elder. What years did this occur? Me being younger, I never knew about the female cheerleaders.