Elder Football 1972?

1650227260784.jpeg

Yes, the program is from the '72 season opener; the Panthers won, 44-0. They finished 9-0-1, tying X 6-6. The only points Panther opponents scored that season was 6 by X and 18 by West High.

Yes, the program is from the '72 season opener; the Panthers won, 44-0. They finished 9-0-1, tying X 6-6. The only points Panther opponents scored that season was 6 by X and 18 by West High.
One of the greatest if not THE greatest high school football defenses I have witnessed! If I can recall the St. X game was played in the rain/mud and neither team could get much going. I also seem to remember that this was the first year computer rankings were used to qualify for the playoffs. From what I remember only one team from the area qualified and that was Princeton. The tie with X eventually undid our playoff hopes.

Can anyone that was alive back then confirm or refute that? :unsure:

There were only 48 humans listed on the roster.
What was the enrollment in 72?
Some may have the exact numbers but class sizes back then were 300 - 400. So 1,200 - 1,600 for total school enrollment. A yearbook from the 60's/70's would have those enrollment numbers also.

One of the greatest if not THE greatest high school football defenses I have witnessed! If I can recall the St. X game was played in the rain/mud and neither team could get much going. I also seem to remember that this was the first year computer rankings were used to qualify for the playoffs. From what I remember only one team from the area qualified and that was Princeton. The tie with X eventually undid our playoff hopes.

Can anyone that was alive back then confirm or refute that? :unsure:

Elder finished 4th in Region 4 in 1972. Princeton was #1 to be the Region 4 representative. Princeton went on to beat Massillon Washington 17-14 in the SF and lost to Warren Western Reserve 37-6 in the finals.

Some may have the exact numbers but class sizes back then were 300 - 400. So 1,200 - 1,600 for total school enrollment. A yearbook from the 60's/70's would have those enrollment numbers also.
I was thinking that the enrollment would be something close to that.
Seems odd that there is only 48 listed on roster.

The class of '73 had 408 grads.
408 Grads with only 48 Varsity Football Players is really shocking. Obviously Elder Basketball was in its pinnacle but I would have thought Football would have at least 75 Players. Omar’s dad probably to much of a wimp for Football back then,LOL!

408 Grads with only 48 Varsity Football Players is really shocking. Obviously Elder Basketball was in its pinnacle but I would have thought Football would have at least 75 Players. Omar’s dad probably to much of a wimp for Football back then,LOL!

I wonder if they had tryouts back then to save money on football equipment and jerseys?

I wonder if they had tryouts back then to save money on football equipment and jerseys?
That’s probably the case. My dad tried out for the freshman football team in 1964. At the first try out, 160 kids showed up but they only had equipment for 60. So the kids were told they’d spend the practice running laps around the field until only 60 kids were left.

That’s probably the case. My dad tried out for the freshman football team in 1964. At the first try out, 160 kids showed up but they only had equipment for 60. So the kids were told they’d spend the practice running laps around the field until only 60 kids were left.
That's intense and absolutely hilarious!

Did

Did any O-linemen make the team? :ROFLMAO:

I'll have to get more details from him, but if I remember correctly he said quite a few kids quit immediately when they were told they'd have to run the entire time.

Mike Honold cut when he was the coach, too.

I'm guessing o-linemen then weren't built like today though.

Was that coach Nie’s first year as the freshman coach? ?

I could be wrong but I actually think Coach Nie was around and coaching the freshman team (not sure if he was the head coach) back in 1987.