Elder Enrollment Strategy

Where did you get that #?
Most of the debt for parishes in the archdiocese comes from two places. Either subsidies to schools or parishes not paying their assessment. The “current realities report” on the beacons of light website is very helpful in this matter. As you can see, about 20% of parishes are running deficits, which turn into debt when they don’t pay assessments or have the archdiocese pay bills for them. It’s not hard to get into millions of debt after years of losses.

D85F2742-BCCC-462F-8B4F-A9D834F7E7ED.jpeg

I would be shocked if only 7 parishes on the westside survived? That number seems really low to me. The thing is do some of these schools that are going to combine have the ability to take on another 200 kids from another school that's closing?
Some do. Obviously Ignatius isn't one as they are busting at the seems. I have mentioned before that Dominic and Victory both have space for hundreds more students. The question will be..... Will they want to do it? Or do these parish families dramatically increase tuition to keep enrollment small but capitalize on revenue?

Or will families want to send their kids to schools that will suddenly be way more crowded. That's one of the biggest draws to the Catholic schools is the smaller class sizes and personal attention.

This will get really interesting and ugly, that's guaranteed.

Some do. Obviously Ignatius isn't one as they are busting at the seems. I have mentioned before that Dominic and Victory both have space for hundreds more students. The question will be..... Will they want to do it? Or do these parish families dramatically increase tuition to keep enrollment small but capitalize on revenue?

Or will families want to send their kids to schools that will suddenly be way more crowded. That's one of the biggest draws to the Catholic schools is the smaller class sizes and personal attention.

This will get really interesting and ugly, that's guaranteed.
This is 100% accurate. It's going to be a show. Victory doesn't accept vouchers, Dominics does. Some parents want the smaller class sizes like you said. So much is going to go wrong with all of this.

Elder is ranked the #19 private school in Greater Cincinnati. St. Xavier came in at #4, Moeller at #10, and Lasalle bringing up the rear at #25.

Seton did not crack the top 25. No westside public school cracked the public school top 25. Oak Hills, Taylor, West Hi, Dater, Colerain, and Harrison all did not crack the top 25.

Elder would rank as the top school option for the westside. Congratulations to all of those responsible at Elder for being a top ranked school.

Elder is ranked the #19 private school in Greater Cincinnati. St. Xavier came in at #4, Moeller at #10, and Lasalle bringing up the rear at #25.

Seton did not crack the top 25. No westside public school cracked the public school top 25. Oak Hills, Taylor, West Hi, Dater, Colerain, and Harrison all did not crack the top 25.

Elder would rank as the top school option for the westside. Congratulations to all of those responsible at Elder for being a top ranked school.

Would not put much (if any) weight on niche ratings.

I noticed a Moeller Open house sign while sitting on race rd waiting to turn L onto West Fork. Does Elder put Open House signs up across town? Excluding Reading.

If looking for academic rankings, average or median ACT score would be best indicator.

Would not put much (if any) weight on niche ratings.
You wouldn't give any credibility to this ranking system below? Do you have another publication ranking schools to look at?

The Best Private High Schools ranking is based on rigorous analysis of data from the U.S. Department of Education along with test scores, college data, and ratings collected from millions of Niche users. Additional data is also collected from schools directly.
Factors Considered

Top Colleges Score
- average score of colleges that students are most interested in or go on to attend - self reported by niche users - Weight 28.5%
Composite SAT/ACT Score - average SAT/ACT composite score - self reported by niche users - Weight 20.1%
College Enrollment - percentage of seniors who go on to four-year colleges - National Center for Education Statistics - Weight 16.9%
Culture & Diversity Grade - based on racial and economic diversity and survey responses on school culture and diversity from students and parents - Multiple Sources - Weight 11.3%
Parent/Student Surveys on Overall Experience - based on survey responses scored on a 1-5 scale regarding the overall experience of students and parents from the school - self reported by niche users - Weight 11.3%
Student-Teacher Ratio - ratio of students to full-time teachers. - National Center for Education Statistics - Weight 11.3%

Nor would I be celebrating being #19 private school. There are far fewer privates than publics.

That being said, the Niche ratings are pretty damn useless.

Why? Because Elder is the highest ranking westside school? Not a single westside public school in the top 25 of publics?

I guess Elder steals all the smart kids too.

You wouldn't give any credibility to this ranking system below? Do you have another publication ranking schools to look at?

Factors Considered

Top Colleges Score
- average score of colleges that students are most interested in or go on to attend - self reported by niche users - Weight 28.5%
Composite SAT/ACT Score - average SAT/ACT composite score - self reported by niche users - Weight 20.1%
College Enrollment - percentage of seniors who go on to four-year colleges - National Center for Education Statistics - Weight 16.9%
Culture & Diversity Grade - based on racial and economic diversity and survey responses on school culture and diversity from students and parents - Multiple Sources - Weight 11.3%
Parent/Student Surveys on Overall Experience - based on survey responses scored on a 1-5 scale regarding the overall experience of students and parents from the school - self reported by niche users - Weight 11.3%
Student-Teacher Ratio - ratio of students to full-time teachers. - National Center for Education Statistics - Weight 11.3%

If you're looking at the overall quality (however you choose to define that), those things can matter. If you are looking at academic results, IMO, it's only objective data that matters. The Board of Regents used to produce a report on what % of each high school's college freshmen needed remediation in math and/or English. That was a good piece of data. Haven't seen it recently ...if they still do it.

Factors Considered

Top Colleges Score

Just found most recent one (2019):

1633609933016.png

Keep in mind, that data only reflects kids going to Ohio public universities.
I am not sure when the data was produced for the report, but Seton is on the rise!! Their incoming classes are full. Their new facilities and upgrades are first class. And parents and students cant stop raving about the wonderful experience and education they are receiving. In the past 2 years, St James has sent over 20 girls to Seton. St Ignatius more than that. They have tapped into the market that would have considered Mercy and Mccauley.

Why? Because Elder is the highest ranking westside school? Not a single westside public school in the top 25 of publics?

Um, apparently you didn't quite understand my post. There are FAR more public schools in the tri-state area than privates. There are 22 public school districts in Hamilton County alone. I'm not at all surprised that there are not any west side publics in the top 25. If you happened to notice, the top 25 high public high schools service higher income students. They also have a far less "chronic absenteeism rate." So, go figure, wealthier parents value education more, and actually send their kids to school.

Here's the breakdown. The average percentage of students that are "economically disadvantaged" in the top 25 public high schools comes out 19.8%. And, go figure, the numbers trend up as you head down the top 25. The average percentage of students labeled "chronically absent" comes out to 6.7%.

If you take those same numbers and compare them to the West Side public schools (Oak Hills, West High, Dater, Taylor, Harrison, Gamble, Colerain, Northwest, Finneytown, Mt. Healthy, and North College Hill) you get quite a different picture. The average percentage of students that are "economically disadvantaged" is 61.65%. The "chronic absenteeism" in those same schools comes out to 20.13%.

That is exactly why you don't see any westside schools in the top 25 of the region, because the west side is much poorer than the rest of the tristate.

The fact that most parents aren’t paying that tuition for a failing student has no affect on Elder’s test scores? Take off your purple blinders.

Um, apparently you didn't quite understand my post. There are FAR more public schools in the tri-state area than privates. There are 22 public school districts in Hamilton County alone. I'm not at all surprised that there are not any west side publics in the top 25. If you happened to notice, the top 25 high public high schools service higher income students. They also have a far less "chronic absenteeism rate." So, go figure, wealthier parents value education more, and actually send their kids to school.

Here's the breakdown. The average percentage of students that are "economically disadvantaged" in the top 25 public high schools comes out 19.8%. And, go figure, the numbers trend up as you head down the top 25. The average percentage of students labeled "chronically absent" comes out to 6.7%.

If you take those same numbers and compare them to the West Side public schools (Oak Hills, West High, Dater, Taylor, Harrison, Gamble, Colerain, Northwest, Finneytown, Mt. Healthy, and North College Hill) you get quite a different picture. The average percentage of students that are "economically disadvantaged" is 61.65%. The "chronic absenteeism" in those same schools comes out to 20.13%.

That is exactly why you don't see any westside schools in the top 25 of the region, because the west side is much poorer than the rest of the tristate.

You might be right. There is no way to prove/disprove that. However, it doesn't change the fact that this ranking system placed Elder at #19 among private schools ahead of Lasalle who came in at #25 and ahead of Seton who came in unranked.

Regardless of why or why not, no westside public school cracked the top 25.

I think parents sometimes question if the amount of money they are spending is worth it. Well, studies like this add some validity to paying to go to Elder when the free options aren't great.

The fact that most parents aren’t paying that tuition for a failing student has no affect on Elder’s test scores? Take off your purple blinders.

I'm not sure what you are getting at. Elder has an IEP program now. Elder also takes students with low test scores. SAT/ACT scores are only one part of their ranking system if you read my post earlier.

You might be right. There is no way to prove/disprove that. However, it doesn't change the fact that this ranking system placed Elder at #19 among private schools ahead of Lasalle who came in at #25 and ahead of Seton who came in unranked.

Regardless of why or why not, no westside public school cracked the top 25.

I think parents sometimes question if the amount of money they are spending is worth it. Well, studies like this add some validity to paying to go to Elder when the free options aren't great.
No way to prove/disprove what?

And again, I wouldn't be bragging about being #19. I didn't even know some of these schools on this list even existed.

And I am aware of no westside public school cracked the top 25. But, any westsider can go to #2 Walnut Hills for free. So pay over 11k for #19 or go to #2 for free?? Seems like a no brainer for west-siders questioning if the amount of money they are spending is worth it. Seems like that free option is pretty great.

Is there an intertwined list somewhere where the public and private schools are all put together? I wonder where Elder would fall in a list of top 50 schools in the area, regardless of private or public.

No way to prove/disprove what?

And again, I wouldn't be bragging about being #19. I didn't even know some of these schools on this list even existed.

And I am aware of no westside public school cracked the top 25. But, any westsider can go to #2 Walnut Hills for free. So pay over 11k for #19 or go to #2 for free?? Seems like a no brainer for west-siders questioning if the amount of money they are spending is worth it. Seems like that free option is pretty great.

Walnut Hills is not exactly westside. It's south for sure, but central(between east and west) in the 275 loop. I'm not sure how easy it is to get into Walnut Hills either.

Why would Elder not be proud(or even brag) about being ranked #19? This is Greater Cincinnati including part of Indiana and Kentucky. 4 private schools ranked ahead are all girls schools. When considering the options for westside boys students, Elder should be at or near top of their list. It is nice to have a publication back that up. Being ranked ahead of Cov Cath, Lasalle, and Seton is also noteworthy.

Walnut Hills is not exactly westside. It's south for sure, but central(between east and west) in the 275 loop. I'm not sure how easy it is to get into Walnut Hills either.

Why would Elder not be proud(or even brag) about being ranked #19? This is Greater Cincinnati including part of Indiana and Kentucky. 4 private schools ranked ahead are all girls schools. When considering the options for westside boys students, Elder should be at or near top of their list. It is nice to have a publication back that up. Being ranked ahead of Cov Cath, Lasalle, and Seton is also noteworthy.
I never said Walnut Hills was westside. I said any west side high schooler can attend, regardless of your local school district. CPS is open enrollment, so anyone can attend their schools, even Walnut Hills..

How many private high schools are in the geographical area we are discussing? 30? 35? Being ranked in the bottom half of the schools we are talking about wouldn't be something I'm advertising. I'd be looking at flaws in the study. I'd be looking to see if our test scores are higher than those ranked ahead of me. I'd be looking at college acceptance rate, total scholarship dollars awarded by senior class, average out of pocket expense (not tuition), partnerships with local companies, etc. I'd be pissed to be ranked #19, and ranked lower than schools with lower tuition costs.

I'm not dogging Elder, I just think to be proud of this ranking isn't something Elder faithful should be happy about. Finding concrete answers to some of the questions I mentioned are things all these private schools should be focused on. And if it isn't where you want it, fix it and market the crap out of it. You are all competing for many of the same students.

I never said Walnut Hills was westside. I said any west side high schooler can attend, regardless of your local school district. CPS is open enrollment, so anyone can attend their schools, even Walnut Hills..

How many private high schools are in the geographical area we are discussing? 30? 35? Being ranked in the bottom half of the schools we are talking about wouldn't be something I'm advertising. I'd be looking at flaws in the study. I'd be looking to see if our test scores are higher than those ranked ahead of me. I'd be looking at college acceptance rate, total scholarship dollars awarded by senior class, average out of pocket expense (not tuition), partnerships with local companies, etc. I'd be pissed to be ranked #19, and ranked lower than schools with lower tuition costs.

I'm not dogging Elder, I just think to be proud of this ranking isn't something Elder faithful should be happy about. Finding concrete answers to some of the questions I mentioned are things all these private schools should be focused on. And if it isn't where you want it, fix it and market the crap out of it. You are all competing for many of the same students.

They only gave top 25. I believe Elder is always looking at ways to improve the school. It's safe to say they are doing a lot of things right and are a top school in the city, but more specifically arguably the top school on the westside.

cincifbfan working hard to fill the void left by trey’s recent departure. Troll on baby, troll on…. ?