Elder Enrollment Strategy

Why? Because Elder is the highest ranking westside school? Not a single westside public school in the top 25 of publics?

I guess Elder steals all the smart kids too.
Stop being a homer. You know exactly what they're saying, but acting ignorant for the sake of pushing your homerism. Way more public schools than private schools. To be ranked 15 spots behind St X and almost 10 spots behind Moeller is NOT a good thing.

Stop being a homer. You know exactly what they're saying, but acting ignorant for the sake of pushing your homerism. Way more public schools than private schools. To be ranked 15 spots behind St X and almost 10 spots behind Moeller is NOT a good thing.

If economic demographics are as important as they claim, then Elder is doing very well considering where they are located compared to Moeller. When I saw this, I would have liked Elder higher, but they are still in very good company and ranked higher than rivals Lasalle and Cov Cath. They are also higher than their sister school Seton who was not ranked in top 25.

If economic demographics are as important as they claim, then Elder is doing very well considering where they are located compared to Moeller. When I saw this, I would have liked Elder higher, but they are still in very good company and ranked higher than rivals Lasalle and Cov Cath. They are also higher than their sister school Seton who was not ranked in top 25.
What are the demographics of Elder's student body? What percentage is economically disadvantaged? What percentage of students are considered chronically absent? What percentage are on IEPs? What percentage of the teaching staff is highly qualified? Any meet the national certification?

Your first comment is disingenuous at best and ignorant at worst. You know 90% of their students aren't from Price Hill. Sure the average Moeller student likely comes from wealthier family than an Elder student based on location, but let's not act like Elder's a bunch of poor kids from the Westside. There's plenty of Elder families with money.

Elder is a really good school. They've improved their academic footprint substantially since I've been there. They should expect to be ahead of the three schools you mentioned, but they also should be figuring out how to get ahead of Moeller and close the gap on X.

The socioeconomic status of each school's students is really unknown unless someone has that data somewhere? Elder absolutely has some very wealthy families with kids at the school. We know Elder accepts vouchers now also. There are a large of amount of middle class or maybe lower middle class too. Don't think Elder doesn't have their share of poor students. Elder gets a large amount of students from families who reside in Oak Hills School District and Oak Hills did not crack the top 25 public schools.

None of that changes what this publication found that Elder is a very good school, good enough to be ranked #19 among private schools in Greater Cincinnati. I would like to think they can do a little better, but overall this was good to see. I think families currently paying that monthly tuition due are pleased to see Elder ranked vs. unranked.

The socioeconomic status of each school's students is really unknown unless someone has that data somewhere? Elder absolutely has some very wealthy families with kids at the school. We know Elder accepts vouchers now also. There are a large of amount of middle class or maybe lower middle class too. Don't think Elder doesn't have their share of poor students. Elder gets a large amount of students from families who reside in Oak Hills School District and Oak Hills did not crack the top 25 public schools.

None of that changes what this publication found that Elder is a very good school, good enough to be ranked #19 among private schools in Greater Cincinnati. I would like to think they can do a little better, but overall this was good to see. I think families currently paying that monthly tuition due are pleased to see Elder ranked vs. unranked.
You keep beating that poor dead horse of Oak Hills not in the top 25 and Elder being so much better at 19. We get it. But, I will ask you again, how many private high schools are there in the tristate?

You keep beating that poor dead horse of Oak Hills not in the top 25 and Elder being so much better at 19. We get it. But, I will ask you again, how many private high schools are there in the tristate?

I don't know. I would guess at least 50. I'm not picking on Oak Hills, but it is the best comparison for Elder, because so many students for each school live in the Oak Hills school district. I also mentioned Taylor, Colerain, Western Hills, Dater, Colerain, and Harrison not in the public schools list of top 25. Where they actually rank? I don't know they only list top 25. This is just one publication. I'm sure there are others with different data or factors for ranking schools.

Looking at the niche website, it looks like Oak Hills was just behind Lawrenceburg so very near the top 25 public schools in Greater Cincinnati.

It was good seeing such a wide array of grade schools last night. Including more than a few eastside schools.

Heard Elder has a billboard on North Bend by the Speedway (I believe) saying that Elder is only 20 minutes from this sign and includes a map on the billboard.

My fifth grader received a postcard from Elder, joining La Salle, Moeller, Purcell and Bacon the past couple weeks. I thought it looked nice enough. The marketing is certainly better.

He didn’t care for it … haha, it was the only one he asked me to video him for as he tossed it in the trash.

My fifth grader received a postcard from Elder, joining La Salle, Moeller, Purcell and Bacon the past couple weeks. I thought it looked nice enough. The marketing is certainly better.

He didn’t care for it … haha, it was the only one he asked me to video him for as he tossed it in the trash.

I know some eastside friends who received one also. It's good they are trying to expand their reach with the traditional feeder school numbers down.

Any word on the preliminary enrollment numbers for Elder

Heard Seton may have a waiting list so they should be around 200ish. They got a lot of girls from St James again this year.

Heard Seton may have a waiting list so they should be around 200ish. They got a lot of girls from St James again this year.

I'll be curious to hear, too. I know up here in Cbus a lot of people looking to exit public schools. Ohio needs to catch up with other states on school choice. As the saying goes: Fund students, not systems.

Ohio needs to catch up with other states on school choice. As the saying goes: Fund students, not systems.
I agree with you, but I'm not optimistic. Two weeks ago, a large group of Ohio school boards filed a lawsuit challenging Ohio's existing school voucher programs. Lately, the Ohio supreme court has been dumpster fire of bad decisions.

I agree with you, but I'm not optimistic. Two weeks ago, a large group of Ohio school boards filed a lawsuit challenging Ohio's existing school voucher programs. Lately, the Ohio supreme court has been dumpster fire of bad decisions.

Agree - our state leadership is weak - and I'm being kind. If you're on FB or Twitter, follow Corey DeAngelis.

200+ is the expected number. This years Senior class is 170- the smallest of the current 4. Total enrollment will be around 800.

The past decade or so Visi has sent 40-50 kids a year to Elder. I don't think their current 8th grade class will or is that large.

The past decade or so Visi has sent 40-50 kids a year to Elder. I don't think their current 8th grade class will or is that large.
For many many years, Visi has been Elder’s #1 feeder school. That may still happen but the Visi numbers drop significantly beginning this year.

For many many years, Visi has been Elder’s #1 feeder school. That may still happen but the Visi numbers drop significantly beginning this year.
Yes, On a "typical" year Elder gets 40-50 from visi, 20-25 from St Jude and 20-25 victory, as their three largest feeders.

Elder got 11 from Ignatius last year which was great. Hopefully that trend continues.

I'll be curious to hear, too. I know up here in Cbus a lot of people looking to exit public schools. Ohio needs to catch up with other states on school choice. As the saying goes: Fund students, not systems.
Just out of curiosity, if we go to a purely school choice model, can all schools kick students out? Can all schools decide which students to not let into their school?

I love the idea of school choice but I haven't seen a state that actually puts all schools on a level playing field with rules, regulations and transparency.

Yes, On a "typical" year Elder gets 40-50 from visi, 20-25 from St Jude and 20-25 victory, as their three largest feeders.

Elder got 11 from Ignatius last year which was great. Hopefully that trend continues.
Current 8th grade boy classes in feeder schools is very small compared to most years. Visi has ~50 boys, Antoninus & Jude both have about 20 boys in this years 8th grade class. The current 7th grade classes across the feeder schools are smaller as well. Numbers start getting bigger again in the current 4th through 6th grade classes.

Just out of curiosity, if we go to a purely school choice model, can all schools kick students out? Can all schools decide which students to not let into their school?

I love the idea of school choice but I haven't seen a state that actually puts all schools on a level playing field with rules, regulations and transparency.

IMO, there should not be a level playing field. Govt schools are owned by taxpayers and should be accountable to taxpayers. Customers of private schools can decide what they want from those schools. IMO, any school should be able to expel a student.