Elder Basketball 2022-2023

If Ramsey leaves in the next 3-5 years, Datillo would be my personal preference to replace him. Beyond that time frame, I really like Peyton, assuming he stays on staff.
Why do you like Peyton without HC experience and only a few years of AC experience, but not for the basketball assistants? Is this some kind of weird nepotism projection?

Here is the decision that will need to be made:

If Admin is happy with feeder kids being the basketball team then they can hire someone on staff.

If Admin wants to reach outside the normal feeder school type kids then you make an outside hire.

It's really as simple as that.

Elder had zero coaches at the 7th and 8th grade finals this weekend, players handed out the trophies. At least 4 other schools had coaches watching those games.

Why do you like Peyton without HC experience and only a few years of AC experience, but not for the basketball assistants? Is this some kind of weird nepotism projection?
He’s on staff now. I’d like to see him get 5 yrs of experience as an Asst OC/QB coach. None of the basketball Assts have that level of experience.

Exactly. Odd take.
It’s not an odd take. I wouldn’t want him to be the next coach right now, at this point in time. My caveat is if he gets 5 yrs of experience as an OC and proves himself, then he’s a legitimate candidate.

I also believe he has a more “modern” view on running a program and will work to get more non feeder kids to Elder.

If Admin is happy with feeder kids being the basketball team then they can hire someone on staff.

If Admin wants to reach outside the normal feeder school type kids then you make an outside hire.

Elder had zero coaches at the 7th and 8th grade finals this weekend, players handed out the trophies. At least 4 other schools had coaches watching those games.
Don’t like that. At the same time, you only need a handful of quality players to be competitive in the state. This isn’t KY or IN where the best programs are loaded every yr. In OH, there’s maybe 1 top 25 team nationally every yr. Football is an entirely different animal.

The basketball team has had its most sustained success the last 3-4 years in like 10-15 years and people don't think the staff had anything to do with that? Tough crowd.
Elder has won 20 or more games in 3 consecutive seasons for just the second time in school history. The first 3 times were 71-72, 72-73, and 73-74. Overall this is the 19th time Elder basketball has 20 or more wins in a season.

Elder has won 20 or more games in 3 consecutive seasons for just the second time in school history. The first 3 times were 71-72, 72-73, and 73-74. Overall this is the 19th time Elder basketball has 20 or more wins in a season.
Great stat.

Most people knew Elder could make a state run with the last 3 teams. They have another chance this year. The next couple might be down years based on JV and Freshman results, but you never know.

It’s not an odd take. I wouldn’t want him to be the next coach right now, at this point in time. My caveat is if he gets 5 yrs of experience as an OC and proves himself, then he’s a legitimate candidate.

I also believe he has a more “modern” view on running a program and will work to get more non feeder kids to Elder.
Jordan Murphy has at least 3-4 years experience as the assistant head coach and JS isn't going anywhere anytime soon. He's already a legit candidate. If you just want a big name outsider to recruit, just say that.

As someone mentioned above, if that's the route, it's going to be an outsider. You would also need a new AD to do that, because I don't think the current AD will ever go down that path. He's going to stick with internal guys or guys with some Elder history (Austing).

I do think you would see a much different style of play with Austing.

To be fair, the eight graders have already made their choices. They know the victory kids through the Panthers program, and the Susanna kids did not have a program changer, besides already choosing schools. In the 7th grade, they know the jude kids through the panthers and there were no world class individuals on GA.

To be fair, the eight graders have already made their choices. They know the victory kids through the Panthers program, and the Susanna kids did not have a program changer, besides already choosing schools. In the 7th grade, they know the jude kids through the panthers and there were no world class individuals on GA.
Why were the other coaches there?

It's a bad look and seems lazy to me.

Jordan Murphy has at least 3-4 years experience as the assistant head coach and JS isn't going anywhere anytime soon. He's already a legit candidate. If you just want a big name outsider to recruit, just say that.

As someone mentioned above, if that's the route, it's going to be an outsider. You would also need a new AD to do that, because I don't think the current AD will ever go down that path. He's going to stick with internal guys or guys with some Elder history (Austing).

I do think you would see a much different style of play with Austing.
I want Austing more than anyone. And as I’ve told you, which you keep ignoring, you don’t need to “recruit” to be consistently successful in basketball. The game isn’t as heavily focused on athleticism as it once was.

because they don't have access to the panther program? intend to poach some Jude 7th graders? One of those Jude kids has a pretty well known name....and he had a really good game.
Jude has 2, and I'm guessing there's less than a zero chance 1 of them is going anywhere but Elder.

The other may be open to other options?

7th grade class is ok, but imo, not nearly as strong as the 8th grade class. But things change as these kids develop in high school. Jude was the clear best westside team in 7th grade, and the others were relatively average.

I want Austing more than anyone. And as I’ve told you, which you keep ignoring, you don’t need to “recruit” to be consistently successful in basketball. The game isn’t as heavily focused on athleticism as it once was.
Fair enough. Austing would be a great choice.

But I don't think it's going to come up in the next 5 years. I think JS has some time left, maybe even longer than that.

The experience learning under Coach Joe is more than enough. Cmon, this is high school sports. It's not that serious. Did Coach Joe have experience running a varsity team when he took over? Did Coach Ramsey? You get my point.

Elder has plenty of qualified coaches in house to take over when Coach Joe decides to retire.
If you’re going to do something, do it right. Elder isn’t some small time HS.

Last edited:
Administration will also need to consider if it is necessary for the next HC to be teaching at Elder as well. If so, this limits choices as well.

The basketball team has had its most sustained success the last 3-4 years in like 10-15 years and people don't think the staff had anything to do with that? Tough crowd.
Couple things have helped them in my opinion:
-these past few seasons they've had more pure basketball talent than they had over the prior 10-15 years, maybe combined.
-They've completely changed their philosophy offensively. They're not longer a team than wants or has to play in the 30s or low 40s. They don't hold onto the ball for 1-2 minutes every possession anymore. They're also playing full court man and suffocating lesser teams by turning them over, running the court and getting layups.
-They've also had some star players choose to focus on basketball as their #1 sport. That definitely helps when you can have guys like Keehan, Keller, Menninger, Whitmer, Williams, etc.

For the record, I would also prefer Austing over anyone else on staff, however I wouldn't be upset or disappointed if they went with an in-house hire, such as Whitmer, Schenke or Murphy.

He’s on staff now. I’d like to see him get 5 yrs of experience as an Asst OC/QB coach. None of the basketball Assts have that level of experience.
Murphy has been on staff at least 4 years if not longer. He was class of '10, played ball at Thomas Moore right? So if he joined the staff right after TM, that would be 2015 or 2016.

Murphy has been on staff at least 4 years if not longer. He was class of '10, played ball at Thomas Moore right? So if he joined the staff right after TM, that would be 2015 or 2016.
I can’t keep the Murphys straight. Regardless, if Austing wants the job, it should be he is.

Great stat.

Most people knew Elder could make a state run with the last 3 teams. They have another chance this year. The next couple might be down years based on JV and Freshman results, but you never know.
The last 2 teams. The ‘20 team was decent, but never a serious threat to make a deep run. I agree that Frosh & JV results can be misleading, especially for bball. When you boil it down, less than half of the kids on JV & Frosh will play Varsity. However, having seen both teams, the talent is really thin. Duke is the only player on either team that looks like he’ll be a 1st Team GCL player. Obviously, Cam Williams will be a star as he continues to develop.

The last 2 teams. The ‘20 team was decent, but never a serious threat to make a deep run.
I was referring to this year's team as one of the 3. The low expectations for this team by many was dumb, they had plenty of talent coming back. Last year had better individual talent, this year has a better team overall.

2021 - Regional semifinals, lost to Centerville
2022 - Sectional finals, lost to Turpin, were good enough to make the regional bracket
2023 - Sectional champs, should win District, and make the regional bracket - potential to make a Final Four run

Before that, I don't think they even sniffed the Regional in like 10-15 years.

Last edited:
The narrative that this team was overlooked is dumb. The other GCL teams are rebuilding and we have two college players that have been on varsity for 3 years. I don’t think anyone overlooked them.
that being said, the regions not as good as it was the last couple of years.

The narrative that this team was overlooked is dumb. The other GCL teams are rebuilding and we have two college players that have been on varsity for 3 years. I don’t think anyone overlooked them.
that being said, the regions not as good as it was the last couple of years.
It's a similar amount of good teams as in any year. Last year it was Fairfiled, Centerville Walnut Hills and Elder. This year Elder, Fairfield, Centerville and Princeton? Moeller wasn't wasn't all that good last year. Basically a similar amount of pretty good teams the past 2 years.

There were a few people in this thread saying expectations were low for this team because they lost so much. But in my opinion, it's a better constructed team overall that doesn't rely nearly as much on the 3. Much better defensive team and tougher all around. They lost Harp and Keller, but Browne and Whitmer stepped in. Gutekunst/Murphy are great defenders like Menninger, and the role players this year are deeper, tougher, and can score and defend. Murphy has been amazing on defense and has good scoring games, same with Williams, same with Tieman. They also have kids on the bench capable of coming in and defending and making shots if needed. Way better balance all around.

Last edited:
Couple things have helped them in my opinion:
-these past few seasons they've had more pure basketball talent than they had over the prior 10-15 years, maybe combined.
-They've completely changed their philosophy offensively. They're not longer a team than wants or has to play in the 30s or low 40s. They don't hold onto the ball for 1-2 minutes every possession anymore. They're also playing full court man and suffocating lesser teams by turning them over, running the court and getting layups.
-They've also had some star players choose to focus on basketball as their #1 sport. That definitely helps when you can have guys like Keehan, Keller, Menninger, Whitmer, Williams, etc.

For the record, I would also prefer Austing over anyone else on staff, however I wouldn't be upset or disappointed if they went with an in-house hire, such as Whitmer, Schenke or Murphy.
Agree on all fronts. Both classes (last year and this year) have kids that have been playing together since early grade school. They can still take the air out every now and then, but yes, much improved pace and openness of play. Still think they can be ultra conservative when they can put teams away.

My fear is the next couple of years they will revert back to old school GCL slogball because of a dip in talent. I hope that doesn't happen.

Last edited:
There were a few people in this thread saying expectations were low for this team because they lost so much. But in my opinion, it's a better constructed team overall that doesn't rely nearly as much on the 3. Much better defensive team and tougher all around. They lost Harp and Keller, but Browne and Whitmer stepped in. Gutekunst/Murphy are great defenders like Menninger, and the role players this year are deeper, tougher, and can score and defend. Murphy has been amazing on defense and has good scoring games, same with Williams, same with Tieman. They also have kids on the bench capable of coming in and defending and making shots if needed. Way better balance all around.
I agree 100% with this assessment.

I was referring to this year's team as one of the 3. The low expectations for this team by many was dumb, they had plenty of talent coming back. Last year had better individual talent, this year has a better team overall.

2021 - Regional semifinals, lost to Centerville
2022 - Sectional finals, lost to Turpin, were good enough to make the regional bracket
2023 - Sectional champs, should win District, and make the regional bracket - potential to make a Final Four run

Before that, I don't think they even sniffed the Regional in like 10-15 years.
I thought this team would be decent, but not 20 wins good. They did go unbeaten on the JV Level.