Elder Baseball 2021

Bases loaded in Bottom of the 6th. New Albany changes pitchers. Elder needs to jump on this, likely their last opportunity, to claim victory from the jaws of defeat. Go Panthers!

E doing what should’ve been done long ago. This Jack a** is squeezing pitchers. They can’t throw strikes consistently

6-5 end of 6. E needs to stop taking hacks. They’re not throwing “strikes” based on this ump’s zone.

Anyway, I just got back. More thoughts:

This team showed a lot of grit fighting back. I hate cliches, but I don’t know how else to describe it.

Kammerer was outstanding in relief. It felt like Elder was teetering on getting run ruled, but he came in, threw strikes and gave Elder a chance to rally.

The Home Plate ump was awful and should feel awful about his impact on the game. That said, Elder needed to adapt quicker to how the game was called. They should’ve been much more patient and worked the count instead of going up and taking big hacks.

Heading into this tournament this team was a real question mark but they played their best ball at the best time and avenged some regular season losses. Elder surprised a lot of people, myself included on route to the D1 final. I'm glad they came back and fought to make it respectable there at the end. Awesome season and even more impressive after an off-season due to COVID last year. Great season Panthers, very successful Spring.

They surpassed most peoples' expectations. It's tough to make it that far and come up just a little bit short. They still should be proud of the state runner-up finish.

Elder has a nice nucleus back for next season. Coming up a little bit short will leave this team hungry next season.

Returning starters
C Luke Vaughn
1B
2B Kevin Hilton
SS Jeremy Ward
3B
OF Chris Kammerer
OF
OF
SP Kellen Sandhas
SP Jared Eckstein

I have some thoughts on who will fill in for the departing seniors, but I just wanted to list the returning starters they have coming back.

Anyway, I just got back. More thoughts:

This team showed a lot of grit fighting back. I hate cliches, but I don’t know how else to describe it.

Kammerer was outstanding in relief. It felt like Elder was teetering on getting run ruled, but he came in, threw strikes and gave Elder a chance to rally.

The Home Plate ump was awful and should feel awful about his impact on the game. That said, Elder needed to adapt quicker to how the game was called. They should’ve been much more patient and worked the count instead of going up and taking big hacks.
Early in the game they were being patient and that's why they had opportunities in the 1st and 2nd innings. After they went down 5-1 it seemed like they started pressing a little. The NA starter had a great curveball that locked up several Elder hitters.

I agree with your first sentiment though, this team battled and never gave up. Looked dead in the water there through 4th and 5th. Then they string a few hits together, crowd got involved. Not Elder's best game by any stretch, but all things considered they had the tying run 90-feet away with their #3 and #4 hitters up in the 6th after being down 6-1. Sometimes the other guy is just better and the NA closer was just that. He came in and threw like 5-6 straight strikes to Grimmelsman and ended up getting a HUGE strikeout.

I'm sure the wound is still pretty fresh for the players, especially the seniors, but what a ride. Hold your heads high, great season nonetheless.

Elder has a nice nucleus back for next season. Coming up a little bit short will leave this team hungry next season.

Returning starters
C Luke Vaughn
1B
2B Kevin Hilton
SS Jeremy Ward
3B
OF Chris Kammerer
OF
OF
SP Kellen Sandhas
SP Jared Eckstein

I have some thoughts on who will fill in for the departing seniors, but I just wanted to list the returning starters they have coming back.
Great run Elder. You made the Elder nation proud.

This team loses 10 seniors. IF they keep the 3 jrs/rising seniors that played on JV this year that would leave 7 spots open IF everyone comes back?

They have a lot of returning talent. Pitching is always important and I could see Westerkamp (jr) and Curliss (soph), possibly Aamonn (soph) getting a chance on Varsity next yr.

I ended up being able to make last night's game. A few thoughts:

• Stadium was small but very nice for hosting the games. Ended up spending way more time there than anticipated due to the late start. Plenty of easy parking in the area. I'll definitely be back for a Rubberducks game.
  • Home plate ump had a horrible strike zone all night. Felt like it was favoring NA but I definitely had some moments when calls went in Elder's favor and I wondered where those pitches were missing. I was sitting down the third base line so I didn't have a great view but it was extremely frustrating.
  • The turning point in the game was when the Panthers left the bases loaded early. After that you could tell they were getting visibly, and understandably, frustrated by the inconsistent strike zone. Hence why they didn't get a hit until the big rally in the 6th.
  • Runners on the corners with only one out and not able to bring in at least the tying run was heartbreaking. At that point I got wrapped up in the excitement and was starting to think they would take the lead and keep the game from getting to the bottom of the 7th.
  • Despite everything they never gave up and came so close to completing the comeback. Players and coaches should be proud on a fantastic season!

Great run Elder. You made the Elder nation proud.

This team loses 10 seniors. IF they keep the 3 jrs/rising seniors that played on JV this year that would leave 7 spots open IF everyone comes back?

They have a lot of returning talent. Pitching is always important and I could see Westerkamp (jr) and Curliss (soph), possibly Aamonn (soph) getting a chance on Varsity next yr.
This Run was proof you need to 2 studs you can count on if you want to make a deep run. Before last night, Elder’s Relievers threw 2 total innings the entire Tournament. I’m not sure if they keep Ward & Kammerer as Relievers or try to move 1 or both to Starters. I believe Ward started a handful of games this yr.

I can’t give you specifics Bc I don’t know them but a Moeller sophomore pitcher is coming to Elder for next year. He will be a junior and should be among the top 3 pitchers.

Speaking of Moeller, did they lose some transfers to CHCA about a year or two ago or were those just rumors?

I ended up being able to make last night's game. A few thoughts:

• Stadium was small but very nice for hosting the games. Ended up spending way more time there than anticipated due to the late start. Plenty of easy parking in the area. I'll definitely be back for a Rubberducks game.
  • Home plate ump had a horrible strike zone all night. Felt like it was favoring NA but I definitely had some moments when calls went in Elder's favor and I wondered where those pitches were missing. I was sitting down the third base line so I didn't have a great view but it was extremely frustrating.
  • The turning point in the game was when the Panthers left the bases loaded early. After that you could tell they were getting visibly, and understandably, frustrated by the inconsistent strike zone. Hence why they didn't get a hit until the big rally in the 6th.
  • Runners on the corners with only one out and not able to bring in at least the tying run was heartbreaking. At that point I got wrapped up in the excitement and was starting to think they would take the lead and keep the game from getting to the bottom of the 7th.
  • Despite everything they never gave up and came so close to completing the comeback. Players and coaches should be proud on a fantastic season!
I was right behind home plate, which is why I’m still angry. There was no reason for him to squeeze those Pitchers like that. It’s like a ref in basketball who calls a lot of ticky tack fouls and the game turns into a FT shooting contest. It’s also why the game took so long. That guy sucked, no two ways about it.

X and Moeller both have good baseball programs. What would cause them to want to transfer to Elder? If they weren't happy with the innings they were getting, they might just not be good enough and the situation won't change at Elder. Or are they just moving to the westside?

I am not close enough to the program to tell you anything other than the Moe kid is transferring. Ive heard X kid is likely not transferring but again, I dont know.

X and Moeller both have good baseball programs. What would cause them to want to transfer to Elder? If they weren't happy with the innings they were getting, they might just not be good enough and the situation won't change at Elder. Or are they just moving to the westside?
Maybe it’s not strictly sports related? I’d say it’s possible both know players at Elder and maybe feel they fit in better at the school?

Last edited:
All City Baseball teams were selected by the Cincinnati Enquirer.

Coach of the Year
Mark Thompson, Elder
: Thompson recorded his 600th career win in 2021 and led the Panthers to a Division I state runner-up finish. It was Elder’s first appearance in the state tournament since 2010.

Congratulations to
1st Team Jackson Grimmelsman
2nd Team Kellen Sandhas
Honorable Mention Chris Kammerer, Luke Vaughn

First team

Michael Sprockett, Lakota East
Evan Whiteaker, Lakota East
Ben Stuart, Mason
Max Johnson, Mason
Jake Hanley, Mason
Branden Garula, Mason
Michael Murphy, Mason
Max Klare, St. Xavier
William Jaun, St. Xavier
Gavin Vogelgesang, St. Xavier
Jackson Grimmelsman, Elder
Kurtis Reid, Hamilton
Maddox Pennington, Hamilton
Cole Reiman, Moeller
Zach French, Moeller
Josh Overbeek, Anderson
Carter Rust, Lakota West
Zach Weber, Lebanon
Kayden Campbell, Fairfield
Trevor Adams, Goshen
Wyatt Fisher, Oak Hills
Carter Daniel, Harrison

Second team

Ross Carnes, Anderson
Cole Brennan, Anderson
Ricky Berrios, Fairfield
Colin Singer, Fairfield
Bryce Rayner, Western Brown
Ty Cawein, Middletown
Blane Nestle, Moeller
Nate Earley, Moeller
Jonathan Baker, Milford
Jameson Richmond, Oak Hills
Parker Dillhoff, Lebanon
Stephen Stigler, Colerain
JT Brandenburg, Walnut Hills
Michael Conte, Walnut Hills
Devin Taylor, La Salle
Jonathan Berliner, Turpin
Connor Stout, Turpin
Cameron Hering, Harrison
Kellen Sandhas, Elder
Colton Hartman, Lebanon
Toby Hueber, Moeller
Trey Williams, Little Miami
Trevor Conley, West Clermont

Honorable mention

Sycamore: Harrison Barnes; Princeton: Andrew Edrington; Lakota West: Grant Miller; Hamilton: Curtis Moak; Lakota East: Kyle Stoughton, Sam Pennix; Elder: Chris Kammerer, Luke Vaughn; St. Xavier: Joe Kirby; Moeller: Nathan Manley; Lebanon: Brad Beyersdorfer, Connor Smith; Kings: Mason Clark, Tarras Garrett; West Clermont: Gavin Sunderman; Milford: Chase Herrell; Turpin: Nick Kapostasy, Grady Stickney; Harrison: Cade Combs, Braden Zuber; Withrow: Junior Rivera, Brandon Ellis; Western Hills: Thomas Fleming; Jacob Long, Jamon Norman, Taquane Stonestreet.