Elder Baseball 2021

It looks like the OHSAA will stream this weekend's baseball state tournament games via the NFHSNetwork.com site. Back at the beginning of the football season, I found a promo code that offers a free subscription to the NFHS Network site.

To sign up:
  1. Start here: https://www.nfhsnetwork.com/users/sign_up?redir=https://www.nfhsnetwork.com/redeem#
  2. Use the promo code: LNS2021
I tried signing up for a few account this morning using that promo code to see if it still works, but got a Javascript error on the site. I was unable to tell if the promo code is no longer valid, if they've stopped accepting promo codes entirely (another promo code I tried also resulted in a JS error), or if there's just a bug on their site.

It's also possible the OHSAA will do a PPV for these streams. (Right now you have to buy a DVD or digital copy of this past weekend's softball games.) So I wouldn't pay to subscribe to NFHS right now, either.
I did this during the fall. I remember that the subscription expired in June of 2021 but not the exact day. I just tried to log on, and my old log in has worked and I am able to watch some replays. I just went and watched a replay of Triway vs Keystone for the D2 state title game by searching OHSAA.

Looks the first of the Final 4 games are Thursday at 10am with CHCA vs Barnesville. So I will try to remember to try on Thursday to see if I can see the Elder game Friday.

If, by Friday, that promo code does not work for people who didn't use it previously and a way for everyone to access a stream of the game without paying or subscribing is not posted here by game time, I'll post updates. If a free way for everyone to access the game is posted here, I'll just sit back, work on my tan, and watch the Panther nine.

The OHSAA released streaming coverage, ticket and schedule information for this weekend's baseball state tournament here: https://www.ohsaa.org/news-media/articles/ohsaa-baseball-state-tournament-pairings

Ticketing Update
Baseball state tournament tickets are available from the Akron RubberDucks at: https://www.milb.com/akron/tickets/single-game-tickets

Children ages 5 and under do not need a ticket for admission, and fans can stay for multiple games/sessions with one ticket, however there is no stadium reentry.

The state semifinal game will be streamed here: https://www.nfhsnetwork.com/events/ohsaa/gam291cbe73fa

The forecast looks rain free in Akron on Friday/Saturday. It would be good to see a bigger Elder crowd supporting the team on Friday in Akron.

I also saw there is a sendoff for the team at Elder on Thursday at 2:30pm. Get out and support the team. This doesn't happen very often.

This is about a once in a decade event. Do you want to sit on the couch watching on your laptop or be at the game? If you have a grade school or high school aged kid, take them to see the game. At the very least, go support the team at the sendoff. Chances are this may not happen again for 10 years.

Last time Elder made the State Final 4 in baseball was 2010. They lost to St. Ed's in the finals 8-3.
Last time Elder won state was in 2005. They beat Toledo Start in the finals 3-0.

Last edited:
This is about a once in a decade event. Do you want to sit on the couch watching on your laptop or be at the game? If you have a grade school or high school aged kid, take them to see the game. At the very least, go support the team at the sendoff. Chances are this may not happen again for 10 years.

Last time Elder made the State Final 4 in baseball was 2010. They lost to St. Ed's in the finals 10-3.
Last time Elder won state was in 2005. They beat Toledo Start in the finals 3-0.
Interesting. I was at the game and do not remember Ed's scoring 10 runs. I actually thought it was a close, low scoring game, but I am old.

What I do remember was the pitcher from St Ed's named Stetson Allie. He would go on to get drafted by the Pirates. I also think I remember the radar during the game having this kid at 95-96mph consistently. Not sure of the accuracy but just pure gazzzz. If anyone has video please share.

Interesting. I was at the game and do not remember Ed's scoring 10 runs. I actually thought it was a close, low scoring game, but I am old.

What I do remember was the pitcher from St Ed's named Stetson Allie. He would go on to get drafted by the Pirates. I also think I remember the radar during the game having this kid at 95-96mph consistently. Not sure of the accuracy but just pure gazzzz. If anyone has video please share.
*The final score was 8-3

Last time Elder made the State Final 4 in baseball was 2010. They lost to St. Ed's in the finals 8-3.
Baseball is hard to predict, but Elder has a ton of young talent. Their best player is still only a Soph. Also, they bring back Hilton, Ward, Kammerer, and Sandhas.

He hit over 100 a few times early in the game. Fortunately, I don’t believe any of the 3 other remaining teams have a kid with that kind of arm.

⚾⚾⚾The game has been pushed back a day. Elder now plays Saturday @ 4pm due to inclement weather⚾⚾⚾

That's correct. He was drafted, but I thought he ended up going to UNC in Chapel Hill. And I heard he was there and ended up getting busted for performance enhancing substances.

⚾⚾⚾The game has been pushed back a day. Elder now plays Saturday @ 4pm due to inclement weather⚾⚾⚾

I just saw that too. Other divisions were scheduled to play Thursday so with a potential storm on Thursday they are pushing everything back a day. Hopefully more fans will attend with the game on a Saturday/Sunday.

Baseball sendoff at Elder is now 2:30pm Friday
Semi-final game is now 4pm Saturday
Final game is now 7pm Sunday

Baseball is hard to predict, but Elder has a ton of young talent. Their best player is still only a Soph. Also, they bring back Hilton, Ward, Kammerer, and Sandhas.

They do have a lot of younger talent. Statistically speaking though, this is about a once a decade thing. You really got to appreciate it when it happens.

That's correct. He was drafted, but I thought he ended up going to UNC in Chapel Hill. And I heard he was there and ended up getting busted for performance enhancing substances.
I think he was a late 1st or early 2nd round pick and opted to go to the minors...which is where he got busted for 'roids.

Makes sense. 99.999% of high school kids cannot throw 100mph

I think he went straight into the Pirates organization after he was drafted. And he actually was converted to a Position Player after he struggled as a Pitcher.

State Tournament Preview

TOLEDO ST. JOHN’S:
The sixth inning proved big in helping Toledo St. John’s advance to the state tournament for the first time in school history. The Titans, rated 14th in the state by Prep Baseball Report, tallied three runs in the last of the sixth to defeat Berea-Midpark 4-3 in the regional finals a day after tallying four in the bottom of the sixth in a 6-3 come-from-behind victory over Bowling Green. Carson Toth had a two-run single against Midpark and Trey Lake a bases-clearing hit versus BG. Jacob Davis has won three tournament games for St. John’s with junior left-hander Reece Majors the number two hurler for first-year head coach Sam Fischer, whose squad dominated prior to regionals with 11-1, 10-0 and 10-1 victories. Sophomore JP Wagner and senior Ryan Snyder are key run-producers for the Titans.

CINCINNATI ELDER: A familiar program is back at the state tournament with Elder making its 21st Final Four appearance, tying Coldwater for most ever. The Panthers, which last advanced to state in 2010, has won 12 championships, three more than any other school in history. Pitching has keyed the Panthers, which have permitted just four runs in five tournament contests. Elder defeated St. Xavier 7-2 in the regional semifinals before a 4-0 eight-inning blanking of Vandalia-Butler behind the five-hit pitching of junior Kellen Sandhas to avenge an earlier-season defeat. Elder had also lost two of three to St. X prior to the regional semis. Jackson Grimmelsman has won three tournament games on the mound while Sandhas, a southpaw like Grimmelsman, has thrown a pair of shutouts. Catcher Brennan Martin and Grimmelsman, a pair of seniors committed to Thomas More, have been hitting leaders for Elder, the 18th-ranked team in the state by OHSBCA and 21st by Prep Baseball Report. Sophomore third baseman Luke Vaughn, junior right fielder Chris Kammerer, junior shortstop Jeremy Ward and senior first baseman Jackson Gutzwiller, a Spalding University recruit, have been other major producers for head coach Mark Thompson, who notched his 600th win in the district finals.

I really like Elder’s chances. They’re hot right now, playing their best Baseball. I’ve always felt confident in their odds with Grimmelsman on the mound, but Sandhas has thrown CG shutouts vs the #8 and #1 team in the state his last 2 starts. My biggest concern is if Walsh beats New Albany, they basically have a Home game playing up in Akron.

I really like Elder’s chances. They’re hot right now, playing their best Baseball. I’ve always felt confident in their odds with Grimmelsman on the mound, but Sandhas has thrown CG shutouts vs the #8 and #1 team in the state his last 2 starts. My biggest concern is if Walsh beats New Albany, they basically have a Home game playing up in Akron.

Elder should be slightly favored vs. St. John's, but would be the underdog vs. Walsh. Walsh has 2 players committed to Michigan, 1 to Xavier, 1 to Ohio U., and a couple others to different schools. Elder just beat Butler who was supposed to have similar talent but Sandhas shut them down. It's certainly possible they can pull this off if they're on their game.

Elder should be slightly favored vs. St. John's, but would be the underdog vs. Walsh. Walsh has 2 players committed to Michigan, 1 to Xavier, 1 to Ohio U., and a couple others to different schools. Elder just beat Butler who was supposed to have similar talent but Sandhas shut them down. It's certainly possible they can pull this off if they're on their game.
Looking at the Tournament draw, Elder faced the most difficult competition of any of the Final Four teams and it’s not particularly close. I think people underestimate this team bc their record isn’t as strong as the other 3 teams, but they played over a month w/o their best player, who is one of the best players in the State.

Looking at the Tournament draw, Elder faced the most difficult competition of any of the Final Four teams and it’s not particularly close. I think people underestimate this team bc their record isn’t as strong as the other 3 teams, but they played over a month w/o their best player, who is one of the best players in the State.
It also seemed like in some of these losses, specifically non-league or sandwich games between league games, they didn't mind if they dropped the game. Not that they went out and intentionally lost, but maybe got some other guys some PT, threw a different pitcher for experience, etc. I wasn't there so I can't confirm that's what happened, but that's how it seemed based on some of the games they lost.
Cov Cath - sandwiched between Moeller and Badin.
Dixie Heights - day before resuming play against LaSalle-
Walnut Hills - day before playing Vandalia Butler

On the flip side, they've shown they can play and beat anyone on any given day:
Moeller 2x
X 2x
Lou X
Butler

It is all folklore. Elder is doing what Elder does, make it to states and make it to the finals. Anything can happen in a one game series and the Panthers have been pitching very well.

I just tried to access the CHCA/Barnesville game using the promo code LNS2021. I clicked "Redeem Code" and it went to "Please wait . . ." and then back to "Redeem Code." Seems it doesn't work for people who didn't first use it last fall, no idea if it will still work for those who did.

It (the code I used last fall) is working for my account. I'm able to watch the CHCA game. I found a few other redemption codes and tried those for a new NFHS Network account I set up, but those didn't work either. My guess is the codes are now expired.

It (the code I used last fall) is working for my account. I'm able to watch the CHCA game. I found a few other redemption codes and tried those for a new NFHS Network account I set up, but those didn't work either. My guess is the codes are now expired.
Bummer for those who didn't use it last fall. Since it seems that there will be no way for everyone to access the game tomorrow for free, I'll post updates.
Best of luck tomorrow to the Panthers!

Bummer for those who didn't use it last fall. Since it seems that there will be no way for everyone to access the game tomorrow for free, I'll post updates.
Best of luck tomorrow to the Panthers!

There is a live stats feed provided by the OHSAA for this weekend. I'm sure a lot of people prefer your updates though. CHCA winning 4-1 currently in the 3rd inning.

I just tried it and my code from the fall worked.

Elder vs Toledo St. John

1st
Pitching for T 4 Jacob Davis RHP
E 0 R 1 H 0 E 1L

Bot
Pitching for E 33 Jackson Grimmelsman LHP
T Nothing across

E 0 R 1 H 0 E
T 0 R 0 H 0 E

Last edited: