Early Team Rankings

Interesting that St. X got 11 first place votes, but is 3rd overall...
the other voters must have just left them off their ballots all together!

Too bad St. X isn't in the Buckeye Classic, they would pick up more votes from out of region if people saw them play in person.

weird that St. Xavier got 11 first place votes, and yet still third overall. Did some coaches just leave them off their poll, or rank them really low?

Lakota East is a wildcard, 3-0 but haven't had a tough match yet. Should change this weekend as they play St. Xavier and Fenwick.

I look for Beavercreek to move up, as they are probably the #1 D1 team in the West. They have played a decent schedule so far---battling most of the teams in the North. Beat Walsh and Iggy, and dropped a tight 5-setter to Hoban. I believe they graduated a lot from last year's squad, so they should get better with more experience as the season goes on.

In D2, surprised Fenwick got a 1st place vote, even after DeSales beat them on Saturday. I also agree that the Top 9 can be rearranged anyway and still probably be accurate---D2 will be very tight. Nice to see that all regions have 2 good teams that will probably battle it out in the regional finals, except for the East with 3 teams. Will be interesting who gets the top seed there for postseason....

Northmont over Beavercreek; validation for me thinking Beavercreek is not top 5

Expected more out of Beavercreek, but after this result I can't see either team making much noise in May. Northmont comes to Elder later in the year but neither of these two are in the Elite so we won't get to see where they stand against some of the other state favorites.

Gahanna beats Pick North last night. After the Darby-Davdison result though it seems like those two are going to be the two East reps.

Coaches Week 2 Rankings

Division 1
1. - Elder (6) - 148
2. - St. Xavier (9) - 140
3. - Archbishop Moeller (1) - 133
4. - Hilliard Davidson - 69
5. - Hilliard Darby - 66
6. - St. Edward - 64
7. - Northmont - 61
8. - Beavercreek - 56
9. - Oak Hills - 37
10- Pickerington North - 36

Division 2
1. - Mt. Vernon (11) - 146
2. - St. Francis DeSales - 127
3. - Bishop Watterson (5) - 113
4. - Archbishop Alter - 107
5. - Walsh Jesuit - 92
6. - Bishop Fenwick - 89
7. - Archbishop Hoban - 77
8. - Roger Bacon - 61
9. - Archbishop McNicholas - 24
10- Worthington Kilbourne - 19

One interesting item I would like to point out.
The 7th place team in Division 2 received more "points" than the 4th place team in division 1. Still interesting St Xavier is not first in division 1 after beating both Elder and Moeller.

One interesting item I would like to point out.
The 7th place team in Division 2 received more "points" than the 4th place team in division 1. Still interesting St Xavier is not first in division 1 after beating both Elder and Moeller.

3 things:
many pollsters aren't paying attention
D1 after the big 3 is a bunch of meh...
D2 has a deep pool of talented teams this year.

Observations:
Division 1
- St X beat Elder head-to-head, received more 1st place votes but is still behind the Panthers
- Darby beat Davdison head-to-head but is still behind the Wildcats
- Moeller received a 1st place vote? :confused:
- Beavercreek just beat Eds at the BC but is still behind them
- Northmont should be above Eds and in the top 5 IMO
Division 2
- Top 3 teams are from the East Region, WOW! That regional is going to be intense.
- Roger Bacon is ranked 8th, and they took a game from St X who should be #1. Yikes!
- 3rd ranked team in D2 just beat the top ranked team in D1
- When will the "D2 champ is better than the D1 champ" start? And is D2 better than D1 this year or just deeper?

Earlier on this thread I said I thought 8 teams in D2 had a chance to win the title and I still stand by that statement. I think the top D1 teams (Elder, X, and Moe) would still beat the top D2 teams more often than not, but I think after that the next level of D1 teams (Darby, Davidson, Northmont, St Ed, and Beavercreek) would not do well against teams like Alter, Walsh, Fenwick, Hoban, and Roger Bacon.

This brings up a point that I do not know the answer too. Why is it this year that the D2 teams have caught up to the top D1 teams when there has been such a difference in the past?

My quick thoughts are:
1) Coaching- Are the best coaches in the state at developing talent at the D2 schools now?
2) Have the kids at these D2 schools been playing varsity together since they were underclassmen getting better experience while the varsity players for D1 schools now were on JV teams?
3) Is boys volleyball placed at a higher emphasis at these smaller schools since the best athletes see an easier chance to win state in volleyball then basketball, for example?

Just some of my ideas, because it does seem very weird for schools that used to be irrelevant only two or three years ago now coming out and competing with teams that are contenders for the division 1 state title

This brings up a point that I do not know the answer too. Why is it this year that the D2 teams have caught up to the top D1 teams when there has been such a difference ...[\QUOTE]

I think a combination of all you mentioned plus:

D1 is on a down cycle, happens to correspond to D2 on an up cycle.

Just happened that many of the best club players at 18s & 17s this winter go to D2 schools.

In central region,
DeSales: 3 from vanguard 18-1, 1 from 17-1
Mt. Vernon: 1 from 18-1, 1from 17-1
Watt: 3 from Elite 18-1

In boys volleyball often the team with the best 3-4 wins versus the best depth.

This past weekend marks the halfway point in the season. Only a few more weeks for some and about a month for others. Looks like each region D1 and D2 have at least 2 teams fighting for #1 seeds. So who do you think will get those coveted #1 seeds in each region.

Division 1:
North - St Edward or St Ignatius
East - Davidson, Darby, Pick North, Gahanna
West - Northmont, Beavercreek, Lakota East, Centerville
South - St X, Moeller, Elder

Division 2:
North - Hoban or Walsh
East - Watterson, DeSales, Mt Vernon
West - Alter or Fenwick
South - Roger Bacon or McNick

Who's get the #1 seeds and the easiest path to the Regional Final?

D1
North: Ed's. They won both regular season matchups and have the stronger record.
East: I see Darby repeating with the 1 seed, but look for Lincoln to possible steal the 2 seed from Davidson.
West: Northmont
South: I think X will manage to get the 1st
D2:
North: Walsh won the 1st game in 5 but honestly, it could go either way, venue close games
East: Toss up honestly, Desales or Watterson.
I don't know much about D2 outside these regions

D1

North
#1 Ed's easily
#2 Likely Ignatius but Hudson could overtake them

East
#1 Darby
#2 Davidson
Dark Horse- Pick North

West
#1 Northmont
#2 Lakota East

South
#1 St X
#2 Moeller
#3 Elder- I think Elder ends up making a run in the state tourney and knocking Moe out in regional finals

X and Elder favorites to win state

D2

North
Walsh over Hoban

East

DeSales beats Watterson then Mt Vernon to make state

West

Fenwick over Alter

South

Roger Bacon easily over McNich

DeSales and Fenwick are my favorites to win state

I think Pick North peaked and are now headed towards the middle of the pack... Look for Liberty to be in the top 4 in the East.

As far as D2 is concerned, I think the only region where it matters for seeding is the East. All other regions are two horse races with only one getting the bid to States.

Will be interesting if DeSales gets the 3 who they pick to go against:
Watterson for the known entity and grudge, or Mt. Vernon for the unknown.

All 4 Regional finals in D2 should be straight up fantastic affairs. Almost seems like the year it would be cool to have a final 8 in D2 at the tournament.

Now that I see it, D2 South is definitely Roger Bacon. If there was an 8 team bracket for D2, this could be one of the deepest and most interesting playoffs I can recall. I think DI will consist of the 2 teams coming out of the south and maybe one dark horse could make a run, but as of now, I see a South vs South final.

Quaterfinals:

1. Watterson
8. Roger Bacon

4. Alter
5. Walsh

3. DeSales
6. Hoban

2. Mt. Vernon
7. Fenwick

That would be a pretty fun tournament right there!

It is a shame that only 4 of these teams are gonna advance to tourney and some less than stellar D1 squads are going to be there. Oh well just one of those odd years where D2 is much deeper

I'm assuming the latest poll I just saw on the Ohio High School Boys Vball website are from a poll last year at this time

Anyone know when the draw for Regional Brackets is? I would assume Saturday 5/3 or Sunday 5/4 but figured I'd ask.

4/26 Rankings

Division 1
1. - Archbishop Moeller (11) - 194
2. - Elder (1) - 179
3. - St. Xavier (9) - 176
4. - St. Edward - 109
5. - Hilliard Darby - 98
6. - Hilliard Davidson - 94
7. - Northmont - 83
8. - Beavercreek - 76
9. - Gahanna Lincoln - 39
10- Pickerington North - 19

Division 2
1. - St. Francis DeSales (6) - 184
2. - Mt. Vernon (10) - 169
3. - Archbishop Alter - 147
4. - Bishop Watterson (2) - 140
5. - Walsh Jesuit (2) - 126
6. - Bishop Fenwick (1) - 118
7. - Archbishop Hoban - 104
8. - Roger Bacon - 68
9. - Archbishop McNicholas - 37
10- Worthington Kilbourne - 34

After seeing Centerville Elite, I'd have to say Moeller deserves the #1 seed after the 3 game win over Darby, 4 game win over Elder, and 3 game win over St. Xavier.
Setter Corey Pieper and Middle Hitter Carson Susich from Moeller are definitely names to watch for 1st team awards.

After seeing Centerville Elite, I'd have to say Moeller deserves the #1 seed after the 3 game win over Darby, 4 game win over Elder, and 3 game win over St. Xavier.
Setter Corey Pieper and Middle Hitter Carson Susich from Moeller are definitely names to watch for 1st team awards.

Pieper without a doubt.

Susich must have gotten much better throughout the season, because early on in the season he was a little non-existent when I saw Moeller. I was expecting big things as I knew he was on Attack's 18-1, but he really didn't make an impact (on me or the game).

He definitely looked like he could be a match-comanding player in warm-ups - so I guess he's putting it together in games now.

Who else is on Attack 18-1 that could be 1st team all state?

Herdeman (sp?) S and Smith OH for Elder are two I know of, but hard to imagine a setter in a 6-2 that doesn't play all the way around making 1st team

Who else is on Attack 18-1 that could be 1st team all state?

Herdeman (sp?) S and Smith OH for Elder are two I know of, but hard to imagine a setter in a 6-2 that doesn't play all the way around making 1st team

Elder has been playing a 5-1 for almost 2 weeks now. Not sure how much 6-2 they showed over the weekend, but for 3 of 5 games vs. Moeller, and all of the match vs. X, it was exclusively 5-1.

Still I'm not sure if Elder will get anyone on 1st team. They have made some lineup adjustments lately. They're all solid players, but no one that really takes over a match that can be fed over and over again.

It seems as though Elder's stand out players are players typically left off the state team, such as middles and liberos. From what I saw, the middles and the backrow players were pretty solid players, but those are the positions that typically have the fewest All-State nods and are players that typically can't take over a game due to their limited roles. It'll be interesting to see how it plays out.

It seems as though Elder's stand out players are players typically left off the state team, such as middles and liberos. From what I saw, the middles and the backrow players were pretty solid players, but those are the positions that typically have the fewest All-State nods and are players that typically can't take over a game due to their limited roles. It'll be interesting to see how it plays out.

Are you speaking in terms of this year or just in general? In general I guess that's been true, but for this year I don't think the middles and libero spots are any better or more important than the setter and outsides.

Speaking of Elder, for the first half of their match vs. X, they looked like they had figured it out. They did everything right (except serving) and was wiping the floor with the Bombers. Looked like a completely different team. More comfortable in their roles, more confident, scrappy and smart. If they can figure out how to play at that level for an entire match and not give up easy points they are going to be a tough team to beat in May, regardless of how things have played thus far in the season.

The games I have seen Elder play (mostly confined to Buckeye Classic) they seemed to rely mostly on the middles, that was what I meant. While their other players are still good, I agree they don't have a player that can take over a game. But they are incredibly scrappy and have all the potential to take over the state this year.

Heard Watterson may have an issue with an ineligible player (grades) and may be forfeiting some matches. Anyone verify?

Elder has been playing a 5-1 for almost 2 weeks now. Not sure how much 6-2 they showed over the weekend, but for 3 of 5 games vs. Moeller, and all of the match vs. X, it was exclusively 5-1.

Still I'm not sure if Elder will get anyone on 1st team. They have made some lineup adjustments lately. They're all solid players, but no one that really takes over a match that can be fed over and over again.

What has Elder's new lineup been? Besides Herdemann in a 5-1?