Early Team Rankings

Brambleberry

Based on last years finishes, players coming back, some of the very first games of the season, and some just plain guesses I would rank the D1 teams as follows

1. Elder
2. St Xavier
3. Hilliard Darby
4. Moeller
5. Centerville
6. Lasalle
7. Lakota East
8. Pick North

Looks like up north both Edwards and Ignatius are having some early season troubles

Ignatius lost a lot, maybe their entire starting unit much like Moeller. Darby lost a lot of production, though I can't remember how many seniors they lose. X returns most of their lineup as does Elder.

I think by season's end you'll have these 8 teams meeting in SWO:
Elder S1
Moeller S2
Centerville W1
Northmont W2
Darby E1
Mt Vernon E2
Eds N1
Ignatius N2

My two darkhorses are Lakota East and Pickerington North

I think Centerville is still a year away. They will be good (as usual) but they are starting 4 juniors and 2 sophomores with only one senior seeing any significant playing time. I'm a Centerville guy and hope that I'm wrong but I think there will be some "growing pains" along the way this year with all that youth.

Think Elder will be ahead of the pack and be the preseason favorite. St X brings back a lot of players, who all played Attack top teams. Moeller basically graduated their lineup, same as Darby. Sure they both have kids ready to take the lead. West I'd guess northmont and beavercreek. Centerville doesn't have much experience playing at the top level of club, two players on a top team U16-18. They will get better as the season goes. Iggy and Eds will advance as usual.

1. Elder
2. St X
3. Moeller
4. Darby
5. Northmont
6. Pickerington North
7. St Iggy
8. Davidson
9. Beavercreek
10. Lakota East

For D2, defending champs Fenwick graduated a lot, still good core there with new coach. Roger Bacon lost some key players but have some height back. McNich will battle them in south. East will be DeSales, bringing back a core group from last years squad, ready to win a title. Waterson and St Charles will try to keep up with them. West will be Fenwick vs Alter in the regional finals. Alter brings back most of their team from last season. North will be Walsh and Hoban. Walsh lost their big middle but return some kids that got good experience in club. They already beat Iggy to start the season.

1. Fenwick
2. DeSales
3. Walsh
4. Alter
5. Roger Bacon

D2

Don't overlook Mt. Vernon in the East. Couple of studs plus a couple of experienced players. If they can consistently pass they will challenge DeSales.
Hoban is itching to get back to States after a two year hiatus.

My too early guess:

1. Fenwick
2. DeSales
3. Alter
4. Mt. Vernon
5. Hoban
6. Walsh
7. Roger Bacon

Isn't Mt Vernon DII?

My mistake, I know they used to be D1, forgot that they moved down to D2 a couple years back.
Sounds like the D2 East race is going to be fun. The D1 East region seems pretty weak outside of Darby. Davdison lost in straight sets to Elder and DeSales over the weekend.

Maybe it is Pick North's opportunity to make it to state.

DI East guesses

Way too early:

1. Darby
2. Pick North
3. Liberty
4. Davidson (had a starter hurt this weekend)
5. Gahanna

DI west

10. Northmont (frustrated best player with incompetent support)

1. Beavercreek
2. Centerville
3. Lakota East

Major edit...

Last edited:
My mistake, I know they used to be D1, forgot that they moved down to D2 a couple years back.
Sounds like the D2 East race is going to be fun. The D1 East region seems pretty weak outside of Darby. Davdison lost in straight sets to Elder and DeSales over the weekend.

Maybe it is Pick North's opportunity to make it to state.

Hmmm... I'm a Hilliard Darby fan, but I really thought this year was Davidson's chance to break the recent stranglehold that Darby has had on Central Ohio D1 boys vb. Bradley has had a nice program, but last year their numbers were down and they didn't field a freshman team - and they graduated some seniors. Sounds like it might be Pick North that challenges Darby this year in the Columbus area.

Hmmm... I'm a Hilliard Darby fan, but I really thought this year was Davidson's chance to break the recent stranglehold that Darby has had on Central Ohio D1 boys vb. Bradley has had a nice program, but last year their numbers were down and they didn't field a freshman team - and they graduated some seniors. Sounds like it might be Pick North that challenges Darby this year in the Columbus area.

Not gonna happen... Darby is down from last year, but still better than Davidson.

Updated D1 Rankings

1. Elder
2. St X
3. Moeller
4. Darby
5. Lakota East
6. Pick North
7. Oak Hills
8. St Edwards
9. Davidson
10. Centerville

Here's what I have:
1. Elder
2. Moeller
3. St Xavier
4. Darby
5. Davidson
6. St Edward
7. Beavercreek
8. Oak Hills
9. Lakota East
10. Pickerington North

Beavercreek, Eds and Davidson have all have had tough losses to start the season, but they've played top level competition. D2's best teams might be better than half of this list in D1. Hoban and Walsh have wins over Eds and Ignatius respectively. DeSales took Darby to 5 and beat Davidson. I didn't penalize those teams for playing and losing to stiff competition.

Last edited:
D2's best teams might be better than half of this list in D1. Hoban and Walsh have wins over Eds and Ignatius respectively. DeSales took Darby to 5 and beat Davidson.

You are spot on here. The top of D2 may be better than anyone outside of the big 3 teams in D1... DeSales gets their starting setter back this week. Result vs. Darby would've been most like reversed with him, and scores would've been much tighter vs. Elder. Alter and Fenwick are probably the two best teams in all the West. Hoban and Walsh have already determined that D2 in the North is > D1.

East
1. Darby (D1)
2. DeSales (D2)
3. Mt. Vernon (D2)
4. Watterson (D2)
5. Davidson (D1)

Alter is likely one of the top 5 teams in the state regardless of division. I think Desales, Hoban, Walsh, and Mt Vernon are all likely comparable to #5-10 teams in D1

It is WAYYY too early to give these rankings and saying who will be in the big dance. I think you have to wait a couple weeks and see how the teams develop before we jump to rankings. I mean as of right now, it is based off of potential. Sooo, in a coupe of weeks, i will throw out my rankings.

Alter is likely one of the top 5 teams in the state regardless of division. I think Desales, Hoban, Walsh, and Mt Vernon are all likely comparable to #5-10 teams in D1

We'll see where Alter stands when they play Elder tomorrow. First big measuring stick match for both teams.

Agree about alter vs elder. Elder is above the rest of state right one though. D2 is a lot more competitive this season with the above mentioned teams plus Fenwick from west. Bacon went 4 with St X in the south too.

It is WAYYY too early to give these rankings and saying who will be in the big dance. I think you have to wait a couple weeks and see how the teams develop before we jump to rankings. I mean as of right now, it is based off of potential. Sooo, in a coupe of weeks, i will throw out my rankings.

Of course it's too early... That's what makes it fun! :)

We'll see how these predications hold up.
Of course many teams are one tweaked ankle away from sucking anyways.

Big matches tonight, first true tests of the season for some of these teams.

Division 1:
St Edward vs. St Ignatius
Moeller vs. Beavercreek
Elder vs. Archbishop Alter
Gahanna Lincoln vs. Mt Vernon

Division 2:
Archbishop Hoban vs. Walsh Jesuit
Roger Bacon vs. Bishop Fenwick
St Francis DeSales vs. Bishop Watterson
Mt Vernon vs. Gahanna Lincoln
Archbishop Alter vs. Elder

Prediction time, who ya got?

My predictions in bold

Division 1:
St Edward vs. St Ignatius Ed in 3
Moeller vs. Beavercreek Moe in 3
Elder vs. Archbishop Alter Elder in 3
Gahanna Lincoln vs. Mt Vernon Mt Vernon in 3

Division 2:
Archbishop Hoban vs. Walsh Jesuit Walsh in 5
Roger Bacon vs. Bishop Fenwick Fenwick in 3
St Francis DeSales vs. Bishop Watterson DeSales in 4

Division 1:
St Edward vs. St Ignatius Ed's in 4
Gahanna Lincoln vs. Mt Vernon Mt.V in 3

Division 2:
Archbishop Hoban vs. Walsh Jesuit Hoban in 5
Roger Bacon vs. Bishop Fenwick Fenwick in 4
St Francis DeSales vs. Bishop Watterson DeSales in 3

To make it easy on the eyes... My best guess

Here's what I'm going with:

Division 1:
St Edward vs. St Ignatius - Eds in 3
Moeller vs. Beavercreek - Moeller in 3
Elder vs. Archbishop Alter - Elder in 4 (long trip for a Tuesday)
Gahanna Lincoln vs. Mt Vernon - Mt Vernon in 4

Division 2:
Archbishop Hoban vs. Walsh Jesuit - Hoban in 5
Roger Bacon vs. Bishop Fenwick - Fenwick in 4
St Francis DeSales vs. Bishop Watterson - DeSales in 3

Division 1:
St Edward vs. St Ignatius Eds in 5 (I dont know a lot about either team)
Gahanna Lincoln vs. Mt Vernon Vernon in 3

Division 2:
Archbishop Hoban vs. Walsh Jesuit Hoban in 4
Roger Bacon vs. Bishop Fenwick Fenwick in 3
St Francis DeSales vs. Bishop Watterson No idea

Predictions in bold

Nomination for Match of the Year in Columbus last night:
Watterson def. DeSales 22-25, 24-26, 29-27, 25-23, 15-13

Don't think you can play a match much closer than that. WOW!
:clap: :clap: :clap:

Looks like EAST Region takes the early lead in D2
DeSales takes down Alter and Fenwick.
Mt. Vernon is undefeated with wins over Ed's and Iggy.

The first official coaches rankings for the year are out on http://www.ohioboysvolleyball.com/index.php/team-ranking

D1 Rankings

1. - Elder (3) - 161
2. - Archbishop Moeller (4) - 158
3. - St. Xavier (11) - 150
4. - Hilliard Davidson - 96
5. - St. Edward - 90
6. - Pickerington North - 59
7. - Oak Hills - 56
8. - Beavercreek - 54
9. - Lakota East - 39
10- Hilliard Darby - 32

D2 Rankings

1. - Mt. Vernon (14) - 157
2. - St. Francis DeSales (2) - 153
3. - Archbishop Hoban (1) - 114
4. - Bishop Fenwick (1) - 113
5. - Archbishop Alter - 103
6. - Walsh Jesuit - 102
7. - Bishop Watterson - 84
8. - Roger Bacon - 64
9. - Archbishop McNicholas - 46
10- Worthington Kilbourne - 11

Couple items of note

Large drop off in overall points from #3-#4 and #5-#6 in D1

D2 definitely is going to have a much closer race at the top in my opinion with 9 teams capable of making a run to the finals