DV State Semi-Final: Valley View (13-1) vs Ironton (14-0)

Who Wins?

• Valley View

Votes: 31 35.6%
  • Ironton

Votes: 56 64.4%

• Total voters

Tough game for VV but if you made it to the final 4, it wasn’t by accident. Interested to hear from some Ironton fans.

this is an interesting matchup. 2 programs with great traditions. yes, Princeton is the site for this game. long trip for Ironton across southern ohio, but to be fair they’re not very close to many places.

Some of us life long Spartans are all too familiar with the Ironton Tigers and their program, they're just tough. Ironton has broken our hearts more than once, none that hurts worse than the 2000 or 2001 game at Princeton, where they took our Qb Dustin Strayer out on a questionable hit. This will be a battle and I am sure that the Spartans will embrace that decided under dog roll

My alma mater was dominate tonight. As usual, a southeastern Ohio team gets screwed on the site. There are plenty of sites closer to half-way that would have sufficed. Chillicothe or Jackson or Waverly would make more sense.
And, I was there in 1999 when the VV QB was taken out by a clean hit...nothing questionable about it.
Go Tigers !

I was there too IHS Alum. Definitely a clean hit. OHSAA gives Ironton another screwing on the game site. So much for being the higher ranked team. I don't know anything about this Valley View team, but I know Ironton is hitting on all cylinders right now.

Go Tigers !

My alma mater was dominate tonight. As usual, a southeastern Ohio team gets screwed on the site. There are plenty of sites closer to half-way that would have sufficed. Chillicothe or Jackson or Waverly would make more sense.
And, I was there in 1999 when the VV QB was taken out by a clean hit...nothing questionable about it.
Go Tigers !
VV to Chillicothe- 1 hour 27 minutes
Ironton to Chillicothe- 1 hour 17 minutes

VV to Jackson- 2 hours, 1 minute
Ironton to Jackson- 1 hour

VV to Waverly- 1 hour, 47 minutes
Ironton to Waverly- 57 minutes

your options aren’t very logical besides Chillicothe..

that’s just part of being in southeastern ohio. if you’re not a town off of 23, 33, or 35, then you’re considered off the beaten path, and that makes travel that much more difficult.

it’s also worth mentioning that the number of schools willing to host next weekend is very small, so there’s a good chance that Chillicothe wasn’t even an option. Princeton has a nice stadium and i hope the long drive on scenic route 32 doesn’t stop you from attending what should be a great matchup.

Valley View plays very fundamental football, they fill gaps extremely well on D and don’t give up many big plays, Offensively VV spreads you around and the best player for VV is their QB and he is very dynamic, very fast, smart in the pocket, and very tough to bring down

When I saw the Ironton final score I just assumed that they ran it down HP's throat, looked at the stats and Ironton ran 30 times for only 81yds. The Wisconsin recruit had 7 carries for 24yds, IHS must be a passing team now.

I predicted a VV victory but was way off on my score predicition. Tanks vs. Sparty, two good teams with rich traditions. As much as I love the Miami Valley football teams, I'm going with Ironton. The gutty, hard nosed, river rat Tigers come out of this game in a big way. I love their town, football tradition, stadium (except for the fake turf, lol) and glad they are back on track.

I recently saw a video of Danny Pride and was brought to tears...what a man! Would love to hear more about the Tigers, past, present and future.

IHS 28 VV 17.

I watched the replay of Ironton vs Harvest Prep. Ironton is big, and they’re fast. They have a good left handed QB who is a dual threat. Their RB is big, quick, and runs hard. They have two very good WRs, one that is 6’3” and going to UC. Defensively there’s also a lot of speed. Both LBs standout. Sideline to sideline players.

After seeing the Harvest Prep game, I’m kind of surprised to see Ironton played close games with Wheelersburg, Jackson, etc. They look like they should’ve won those games going away.

For VV to compete in this game, they’ll once again need to spread the ball around. The ability to have multiple weapons in the passing game will be key. Ironton did allow HP’s QB to run but he was also probably faster than Henson. It’s just one game film, but Ironton scares me. Very good football team.

I watched the replay of Ironton vs Harvest Prep. Ironton is big, and they’re fast. They have a good left handed QB who is a dual threat. Their RB is big, quick, and runs hard. They have two very good WRs, one that is 6’3” and going to UC. Defensively there’s also a lot of speed. Both LBs standout. Sideline to sideline players.

After seeing the Harvest Prep game, I’m kind of surprised to see Ironton played close games with Wheelersburg, Jackson, etc. They look like they should’ve won those games going away.

For VV to compete in this game, they’ll once again need to spread the ball around. The ability to have multiple weapons in the passing game will be key. Ironton did allow HP’s QB to run but he was also probably faster than Henson. It’s just one game film, but Ironton scares me. Very good football team.
Running back committed to Wisconsin and a receiver to UC, pretty impressive.

Do you have a link to that game?

When you are unfamiliar with a team and don’t know how good the teams they play are, it’s quite difficult to get a handle on how good they are compared to the “known“ team I follow.
I have no idea what to expect this year with the three teams left along with SR. I thought LC/Elmwood would be a low scoring slugfest and SR/Perry would be a last possession type game.

All I know is that all three have long traditions of winning (and numerous state titles in GVV and Ironton‘s case).
Those Lutz and Niswonger teams were so great.
Good luck to this years versions!
Running back committed to Wisconsin and a receiver to UC, pretty impressive.
That's more DI players on one team than we have had in last 20 years as far as I can recall.

When you are unfamiliar with a team and don’t know how good the teams they play are, it’s quite difficult to get a handle on how good they are compared to the “known“ team I follow.
I have no idea what to expect this year with the three teams left along with SR. I thought LC/Elmwood would be a low scoring slugfest and SR/Perry would be a last possession type game.

All I know is that all three have long traditions of winning (and numerous state titles in GVV and Ironton‘s case).

That's more DI players on one team than we have had in last 20 years as far as I can recall.
I remember Ironton running the Double Tight, Full House backfield. Now they’re in a Shotgun Pistol every play, spreading you out.

I did like to see on short yardage, Ironton goes into the Wishbone or a similar Full House backfield. Kind of an “Ode to the Old Days.”

Go Tigers !
It was 22 years ago, I know we were up pretty substantial until the hit on Strayer. I thought he was either very close to the boundary or out of bounds when he took the shot that knocked him out of the game...Anyway this will not be for the faint of heart. Go Blue!

I feel like I bring this up every year as we get closer to the state championship and Ironton is still alive. I remember being at the 1999 DIV State Championship with my dad. Ironton needed less than one yard to get a first down and the ball was on their 30-yard line. Ironton was leading 14-10 with 46 seconds to play. They decided to go for it instead of punting to Perkins which had no timeouts. Perkins stops them, gets the ball, scores immediately to win the state championship, 16-14. It was an insane ending to the state championship.

I voted Ironton #1 all year in D5. I think VV is outstanding. But, I'll roll with my #1 vote. No insight. Just rolling with my vote!

As I said in the other D5 thread -- both semifinals are total best on best matchups. No easy path. D5 state champion will really have to earn it.

Some of us life long Spartans are all too familiar with the Ironton Tigers and their program, they're just tough. Ironton has broken our hearts more than once, none that hurts worse than the 2000 or 2001 game at Princeton, where they took our Qb Dustin Strayer out on a questionable hit. This will be a battle and I am sure that the Spartans will embrace that decided under dog roll
I remember Dustin going out, changed the whole game. Let’s change the outcome this year!

I was there too IHS Alum. Definitely a clean hit. OHSAA gives Ironton another screwing on the game site. So much for being the higher ranked team. I don't know anything about this Valley View team, but I know Ironton is hitting on all cylinders right now.

Go Tigers !
Both teams are ranked #1. As a VV fan, I agree that’s a drive for you.
Let’s go Valley View!

Carter LB - Committed to University of Cincinnati
Perkins WR - Committed to University of Cincinnati
Keyes RB - Committed to Wisconsin
Young DB/WR - Committed to Dayton

Gosset SO - OL/DL Offer from University of KY
Pittman JR - WR Offer from University of KY