OCC-CARDINAL- 2020-21 Regular Season

TEAMWLTPCTGBGPDIVISION
Thomas Worthington1850.783-2310-0-0
Marysville1490.6094.0237-2-0
Olentangy13110.5425.5245-4-0
Dublin Jerome9140.3919.0233-7-0
Olentangy Berlin8150.34810.0230-10-0
Hilliard Darby7150.31810.5224-6-0
AHHHH --- you tried to copy and paste a table!

Jerome is the largest school in their division of the OCC. Really no shortage of kids 'with resources.' Thomas Worthington is in the division and they have probably underachieved in recent years.

Looks like Jerome was 9-14 last season. 3-7 in OCC Cardinal with Thomas Worthington, Marysville, Olentangy, Olentangy Berlin, and Hilliard Darby

Also seeing 11-13 in 2019-2020 season...not sure on conference because of realignment.

Last edited:
Agree with everything said above!

Question...at these big high schools, at what point is not winning a reason to move on from a coach? NBA and college seem to do it every year and that is trickling down to HS now. (Not saying it is right at either level.)

Personally, I see....
Year 1 = getting to know school/team, implementing culture and system
Year 2 = continued culture and system build - but show signs of improvement
Year 3 = should see improvement and wins
Year 4 = system and culture in place, should see results
Year 5 = a make or break season

Jerome coach is about .500 after 4 years....is that enough to get a 5th year? They seem to have talent and great facilities. Athletics and winning matters now a-days. Should be interesting with so much player, parent, and social media support.

I am a little curious on this, especially with the pay involved and schoolwide resources involved. The South-Western City Schools play similar competition at a close size and rarely seem to compete, yet it doesn't seem like there is as much pressure to win. Maybe at a school with resources like in Dublin, the leash is closer to college level and winning is more of a priority?

I know at some small schools, the coaches hardly even get a stipend and are occasionally just parents of a player. Then when the player graduates, it's on to a new parent. It's crazy how different the scale can be in high school.

If you dig hard enough, public school salaries/pay scales are public record.
I would guess Dublin Jerome base teacher salary is around 45k and tops out over 100k. Then add in coaching salary of about 10k. (big schools also have much more freedom to "find/create" supplemental money. Like "weight room coordinator" for a coach.
Most small schools base salary for teachers is around 38k and tops out around 85k. Coaching salary of around 6k.

$$$ adds up over time!

Last edited:
I have no problem with Fleer calling out those involved. We are in an age of new media. He doesn't write for the Dispatch. He's made his own platform and can criticize or praise anyone he wants, especially if someone is calling out to be criticized. Perhaps if more of these jagoff administrators were called out for giving in to parents with an agenda, it would happen less. Status quo doesn't work in these instances.

Agree with everything said above!

Question...at these big high schools, at what point is not winning a reason to move on from a coach? NBA and college seem to do it every year and that is trickling down to HS now. (Not saying it is right at either level.)

Personally, I see....
Year 1 = getting to know school/team, implementing culture and system
Year 2 = continued culture and system build - but show signs of improvement
Year 3 = should see improvement and wins
Year 4 = system and culture in place, should see results
Year 5 = a make or break season

Jerome coach is about .500 after 4 years....is that enough to get a 5th year? They seem to have talent and great facilities. Athletics and winning matters now a-days. Should be interesting with so much player, parent, and social media support.
You have to take in consideration the talent at Jerome. Jerome is not an athletics school, it’s academics. This year with Covid that team was hit with injuries/Covid. They didn’t have a full squad until mid-Feb.

I partially agree on Fleer -- while it may be over-the-top to write a tweet overloaded with a hashtag and write several other ones directly putting Jerome's feet to the fire on this, I do think it's fine (and worthwhile) to retweet*highlight what many of his former players (including those playing in college) had to say.

This one especially 'hit different' -- Dan Lee had a very noticeable improvement in his game over the course of his four years and this is one of the many ringing endorsements that's worth paying attention to.
He’s had former players email the admin supporting Richie.

School administration isn't a whole lot different than government - it's all politics and really screwed up and you better watch your back.
Actually the current AD applied for the Boys Basketball coaching job. He didn’t make the final 2. It was Richie and I believe the varsity asst who was leftover from the previous staff, who is his asst there now.

This would be a tough job on the basketball side because of what seems to be a tough place to coach. But I could see it getting a lot of applicants because of it being a big time D1 (talent, facilities, location, etc) and especially on the teacher side of things. The Dublin teacher pay scale would be better than most other schools.
The facilities are not what you might think. Coffman has much better facilities. Jerome is too much of an academic school.

Maybe he should go ? These AD’s /administration have No clue how hard it is in the Columbus D-1 district/ regionals. If you want a coach for only 3-4 years, good luck with that! The merry go round keeps going faster and faster. Sad !

HS athletics is getting tougher and tougher on coaches. I was curious how the Covid year would be looked at by admins on coaching decisions...

Do we know if Beard has officially been not renewed and the job is open? or is there a chance he is still back?

I am curious how COVID impacted decisions as well. I know one coach very well that quarantined three times during his season. I know he was not the only one in Central Ohio or the state to get hit like that.

Same thing happened to Kevin Alkrie the schools original basketball coach when the school opened....

Alkire
Bline
Carlisle
Hale
Pearson
Beard

That’s not a great average, but anymore, it’s probably the common average throughout the State. The days of one coach staying at one place 20-30 years are over.

It's April 16, 2021

Is Dublin Jerome looking for a new Boys Head Basketball Coach to replace Coach Richie Beard III???

:unsure: :D :p :)

This is IUDOGS signing off.