Dublin Coffman Rocks 2021

Status
Not open for further replies.
MitSulHer, that was a nice pass and catch for UA. The Rocks CB #13 and FS #6 give up at least 1 TD every week in a cover three (Deep 3rd Zone) Yes zone, no one deeper than you.

As a longtime UA person, what were your thoughts on Coffman?
If you can't say something nice then? Non reply from Mitt hit is telling.

Season has flown by , and the anticipated rebuilds of Coffman,. Westerville Central and Liberty , three programs that just recently were among the top 5 or higher certainly , in the last decade have dropped off in varying degrees . Westy C the largest perhaps , Coffman who lost to Liberty by 28 and then Liberty who has kind of meandered in between , we are getting it now and well it is a rebuilding year which I opined earlier when they and Coffman were ranked much too high pre-season based on reputation. Darby and Davidson have done better than most predicted although Davidson's early season success was schedule related, they have taken care of business vs Coffman and Liberty and should give UA a decent tussle although it appears Nixon who has been their best back may be hurt.

Solis has done some good work as always as his team in the pre-season looked akin to Coffman in terms of material and heavy losses from the year before but he has done better than the Rocks have overall I think , but that's understandable as he has been there for a while and Coffman is a brand new 'Brand " for lack of a better term. It is though, right? Tear down is deemed necessary is the prevailing wisdom. We will win differently , with different types of players and people and do it the 'Right " way . OK . The previous way was wrong. Just ask the new staff , they will tell you , Ask the Principal and some former coaches who are retired, this is the right way of doing things now after the embarrassment of the previous years . let's go back in time if we can. Make Coffman what it used to be . Oh wait, what did that look like in the 80's ? Oh Some remember . We can make it happen . Old school values and harken back to a more normal time .

Small town American values. A simpler time . Let's just try to forget the last handful of years and leave it all behind us . A clean break , as many of the former bad culture guys need to be banished , gone , reduced to a memory and you don't even have to thank them for their service. They were a big problem . Breath a sigh of relief that they are gone and be very thankful for what we now have I was told. I am and it has nothing to do with some perceived cleansing of Coffman football.

. The so called 'Bad culture " era. I was hearing things like 'You won't believe what you will see, this is going to be a religious experience the great transformation . Well, it has been that so far no question. Very consistent week in a week out product. Like going to church, with the sermon changing a bit but basically the same schedule and experience. Comforting. So much so that I skipped a Friday game because I knew exactly how it would turn out [Check the projected score I gave} } and knew I needed a week off take from the great transformation.

Two weeks left , and best-case scenario is a win over Bradley and a competitive play-off loss . Worst case is a mistake filled 34-13 loss to Bradley and a noncompetitive loss to in the play-offs and an off-season filled with working furiously to not have this once in a 30 years season repeat itself .

Former staff can and probably will be blamed for next year if it doesn't turn out much better, But after that? This staff is on their own . it's not your parents fault, it's your responsibility . You can't tell each other that the kids were mistreated , undertrained, don't know how to work, still don't get it because thew were so poorly trained before 'and are soft because of someone else . It will be your team and your mistakes made each week schematically on defense and on special teams . Who is to blame for the last two years of Minster football by the way?

I still like the hire , think he's a good coach, but this whole rhetoric of it's a trash program that needed this guy to come in and clean up as if it was an unkept eyesore tear down near a vacant lot and that the whole area needed to be tnt'd to the ground is too much a load of bullchit to bear. Of course, a certain faction of the administration and 'community thought there was a big problem that needed fixing. Well let the fixing begin please. The bad culture has been torn down as evidenced by this year . Much better now than it was before . But lets start cleaning up the rubble of a probable 3-8 give up an average of 40 a game season from the worst storm to hit these parts in three decades mess and start rebuilding. One caveat. Stop blaming the past staff as being abusive innatentive parents harming thier 'good kids" not teaching them the right way to do things and start owning at least 'Some" of this mess . The margins at the least are on you . Fix some of that next year for a start. That is the most disappointing thing, The getting beat by a lot most weeks sucks to be sure, but this whole it is so much better around here now stuff is nauseating . Just look forward already

Two weeks left , and best-case scenario is a win over Bradley and a competitive play-off loss . Worst case is a mistake filled 34-13 loss to Bradley and a noncompetitive loss to in the play-offs and an off-season filled with working furiously to not have this once in a 30 years season repeat itself .
Don't forget the new Principal has extensive coaching experience at the Middle School Level that has helped shaped the "new" program at Coffman.

MitSulHer, that was a nice pass and catch for UA. The Rocks CB #13 and FS #6 give up at least 1 TD every week in a cover three (Deep 3rd Zone) Yes zone, no one deeper than you.

As a longtime UA person, what were your thoughts on Coffman?
Sorry, honestly just saw this. I thought Coffman ran the ball pretty good. The RB was good. I think he was getting some good blocking. Don't remember much about Coffman pass game. UA threw the ball very well, but they have been doing that on everyone all year, so i didnt consider that a Coffman issue. Cannon had a kick return for a TD but again he has multiple KO and PR's for touchdowns. Gresock ran for 170 yds and another 20 receiving yds. I know M. Broskie and E. Birden personal and they are both very hard working tough players. I think you will see a very talented player over the next couple years with Birden.

One thing........at halftime I mentioned to someone that our punter is too SLOW getting the ball off and he is going to get one blocked. The guy I was sitting with mentioned high school teams wont address problems like that until it happens. Then they will work all the next week on it. So thank you Coffman for blocking that punt. It may matter later in the year. UA punter needs a little sense of urgency when punting.

One last thing, i sat on the Coffman side because Liberty and Coffman are the worst visitor stands because you are so far from the field. I didnt hear people complaining in the stands. Mostly just cheering. But i also got a sense from several people no one likes the new coach much. For whatever reasons.

Some days are tougher than others being a Monday Morning QB. Totals and teasers 4-0 . Rams Carolina teaser gets there , Raiders beating an overrated Denver team who played a terrible le schedule early and after not playing at all for their racist coach the week before , rallied around the fact that he is gone played with the Patriots got there . Carolina and the Patriots both losing in OT but staying within the margins . Despite a garbage time scoring binge the Giants- Rams total of UNDER 50 stayed at 49 . Browns -Arizona crept over 48.5 no thanks to the Brownies who are slipping back to what they usually are . Disappointing. Penalties and turnovers against good teams ? LOSSES. Can't get off the field on third down? LOSS .

OK Justin Herbet was the new favorite NFL QB flavor. The NFL QB position especially can be as humbling as it gets to a professional athlete. Hitters who can never really get a handle on hitting breaking pitches comes to mind as well. As happens frequently in the NFL once the hype and hyperbole starts mounting a certain expected crash will happen at some point. Well a Ravens defense that was struggling to play well and an offense that was having trouble starting games well , turned on a dime and did the opposite yesterday. The Ravens were GREAT . In all phases. The Chargers after a few weeks of hype and Herbert being talked about as a top 5 QB i the league in only his second season, came crashing sideways.

Just noncompetitive drek so bad that the network went to another game at some point . Who would have thought that ? Pittsburgh laying the 5.5 was just a tad high for me , but I was regretting not pulling the trigger for a long while , until I wasn't regretful when the hawks stormed back and looked as if they were going to win.

Why in a college football landscape where because of COVID just up and changed the transfer rule , making the word 'portal" a household name did they not change the number of teams making the play-offs? I mean of all years to do it ? This year has more parity than any I can remember. Georgia is the best and Alabama probably second but you can't have at least 6 in with two byes? What is taking so long?

Sorry, honestly just saw this. I thought Coffman ran the ball pretty good. The RB was good. I think he was getting some good blocking. Don't remember much about Coffman pass game. UA threw the ball very well, but they have been doing that on everyone all year, so i didnt consider that a Coffman issue. Cannon had a kick return for a TD but again he has multiple KO and PR's for touchdowns. Gresock ran for 170 yds and another 20 receiving yds. I know M. Broskie and E. Birden personal and they are both very hard working tough players. I think you will see a very talented player over the next couple years with Birden.

One thing........at halftime I mentioned to someone that our punter is too SLOW getting the ball off and he is going to get one blocked. The guy I was sitting with mentioned high school teams wont address problems like that until it happens. Then they will work all the next week on it. So thank you Coffman for blocking that punt. It may matter later in the year. UA punter needs a little sense of urgency when punting.

One last thing, i sat on the Coffman because Liberty and Coffman are the worst visitor stands because you are so far from the field. I didnt hear people complaining in the stands. Mostly just cheering. But i also got a sense from several people no one likes the new coach much. For whatever reasons.
The team did run the ball well at times from what I heard and the numbers show and the offense has been good at times and the QB i think can be a very good player at the next level becasue he isn't nearly a finished product as a one year starter . I think like a guy like Solis , the new coach has a strong personality and the results are something that we haven't seen before. It's not all on him certainly and was a huge rebuild , but I think his preceived or otherwise disrespect to what has gone on here over the last 20 years is a turn-off to many . Everything was wrong and he is here to make it right rhetoric is not only not neccessary but counter-productive IMO. You can implement your own systems and make it your program without suggesting that the previous one was crap [Obvioulsy it wasn't that } Good luck to UA going forward, Nice team and you have the right coach obvioulsy.

The team did run the ball well at times from what I heard and the numbers show and the offense has been good at times and the QB i think can be a very good player at the next level becasue he isn't nearly a finished product as a one year starter . I think like a guy like Solis , the new coach has a strong personality and the results are something that we haven't seen before. It's not all on him certainly and was a huge rebuild , but I think his preceived or otherwise disrespect to what has gone on here over the last 20 years is a turn-off to many . Everything was wrong and he is here to make it right rhetoric is not only not neccessary but counter-productive IMO. You can implement your own systems and make it your program without suggesting that the previous one was crap [Obvioulsy it wasn't that } Good luck to UA going forward, Nice team and you have the right coach obvioulsy.
Interesting approach for the new coach i guess. I would think you can move forward with your plan and still honor past programs. Coffman has been VERY good for a lot of years. No point in "trashing" that if that is what is going on. If Coffman can beat Bradley (toss up game) they could move up in R2 and get a winable playoff game, or two.

Interesting approach for the new coach i guess. I would think you can move forward with your plan and still honor past programs. Coffman has been VERY good for a lot of years. No point in "trashing" that if that is what is going on. If Coffman can beat Bradley (toss up game) they could move up in R2 and get a winable playoff game, or two.
Good post . You don’t have to honor or speak respectfully of the previous long term coach (. He did say this in an interview “. They have won a lot of “ regular “. season games of course implying that they didn’t win enough playoff games ( lost some they should won no question ) , but in the same interview he said and continues to say the kids don’t know how to work and are undertrained and basically implies frequently that the program is a tear down .

He’s a very good leader and football coach and should mold the program in his own image and he is doing that . The other bull crap I state above needs to go away though .

Last edited:
Saw that . always very sad .Coffman had a sudden passing of a football /baseball player in 2014. He was a Sophomore also . I remember how sad that was for the family and community . Thoughts and prayers to the family and greater Braves community

irresponsible bullchit making a post like this....second hand eh?....sounds more like a narrative you and others onhere are trying to create about coach and the current DC program........any other bullchit any of you you want to post?.........let us see what other rumors we can create and spread......almost funny how quickly so many of you turned on coach just because it hasn't been perfect or even OK for the first year......real fans of the program eh? fair weather more like it.
I have no reason in the world to believe it didn't happen exactly as described, given who related it to me, but I did not hear it with my own ears, which makes it second hand. I have no interest in creating a 'narrative' about the DC program. Couldn't care less about DC, but as long as I'm typing, I'd say two things: First, as an outsider whose kids competed against Coffman, I find the criticism of the previous regime somewhat ridiculous considering their success. Second, if my kid were on that team, I'd be fine with the coach questioning the kids' work ethic directly to them. Doing it publicly serves no purpose except to say the lack of success this year isn't the coach's fault. It's unnecessary and self-serving to air it publicly. If you expect the kids to be men, be one yourself.

I have no reason in the world to believe it didn't happen exactly as described, given who related it to me, but I did not hear it with my own ears, which makes it second hand. I have no interest in creating a 'narrative' about the DC program. Couldn't care less about DC, but as long as I'm typing, I'd say two things: First, as an outsider whose kids competed against Coffman, I find the criticism of the previous regime somewhat ridiculous considering their success. Second, if my kid were on that team, I'd be fine with the coach questioning the kids' work ethic directly to them. Doing it publicly serves no purpose except to say the lack of success this year isn't the coach's fault. It's unnecessary and self-serving to air it publicly. If you expect the kids to be men, be one yourself.
yea.....sure sounds like you arent trying to promote or push a narraitve......not at all....also sounds like you really dont care ab DC either coming back to a post from ab week ago.....just an innocent bystander huh? LOL

I think Friday will be the first colder night of football all year . May dip into the 40’s during the game .

Week 10

PC. - 16. Burg - -17

Big Nut - 21 at Canal. - 20

Darby. - 11. Jerome. - 11

Marysville. - 32. at Tangy. - 29

Bradley. - 18. Coffman. - 17

UA. - 27 Davidson. - 20

PN. -3 At Gahanna. - 4

Liberty. - 11 Orange. -10.

PC has a good tuneup before the playoffs facing a very good QB

Nut looks to finish reg season unbeaten

Darby plays a lot of close ones . This one could be another one .

MVille looks to finish unbeaten playing an emotional Tangy team . Really Tough week for them .

Rocks need to improve pass defense this week . Facing a talented Soph.

UA line is too high but is Nixon out ? Weir is very good but when you have both it’s harder to defend obviously and the QB dues better with the two of them in there .

PN loses a tough one , not sure what they have left .

Orange gets that potential goose egg monkey off of their back . Liberty not the same without athletic QB

I would say Nixon is probably out. Not sure of the severity but he could not put any weight on his ankle leaving the field. I say they play it safe and hope to get him on the field for the playoff game. With or without him, they are losing to UA anyway. They will probably plug in #4 at RB to give him some reps for next year. If the defense was any good, I would say they have a small chance but that is not the case. UA will move the ball at will against Davidson like every average to good offense has done so far. The head coach is as stubborn with his defense as White was with the offense. No adjustments at all and almost blew the Liberty game because of it.

Canal hopeless without Byrd

Tangy hopeless run D all year, just got killed by prior WingT/TO teams, despite the emotional focus cant see them avoiding running clock

Coffman keeps this one closer than expected maybe?

PN has better team foundation IMO, Gahanna too inconsistent, loss to Mason looks horrible now. Centerville nothing to get excited about.

Mentioned Orange in the other thread, don't be surprised if they win that game. Its still 60/40 Liberty, but Orange has a chance.

One last thing, i sat on the Coffman side because Liberty and Coffman are the worst visitor stands because you are so far from the field. I didnt hear people complaining in the stands. Mostly just cheering. But i also got a sense from several people no one likes the new coach much. For whatever reasons.

Good stuff MitSulHer, I agree Heard at times has looked very good running the ball. Maggs has also looked solid. For some reason, they run the ball with success, then struggle in in the red zone and come away often with zero pts.

I think the defense has really been hurt by the health of the defensive coordinator missing games and practices. He missed the 1st three games and had a seizure the Davidson week and that game, so the defense was way out of whack vs Davidson, they didn't even have a defensive practice that week, just team D no individual or group defense practice, not good when going against a power running team like that.

I never knew that about the DC and OL visiting bleachers, very interesting. Good luck to UA, you should be fine vs Davidson. Your passing attack is great.

Saw that . always very sad .Coffman had a sudden passing of a football /baseball player in 2014. He was a Sophomore also . I remember how sad that was for the family and community . Thoughts and prayers to the family and greater Braves community

Really sad news. The young man played Football, Wrestled and baseball and even travel ball. Very sad, you never know what type of things kids and adults are going through. My thoughts and prayers are with him, his family and the Olentangy Braves community.

I would say Nixon is probably out. Not sure of the severity but he could not put any weight on his ankle leaving the field. I say they play it safe and hope to get him on the field for the playoff game. With or without him, they are losing to UA anyway. They will probably plug in #4 at RB to give him some reps for next year. If the defense was any good, I would say they have a small chance but that is not the case. UA will move the ball at will against Davidson like every average to good offense has done so far. The head coach is as stubborn with his defense as White was with the offense. No adjustments at all and almost blew the Liberty game because of it.

That stinks to hear, that hurts Davidson's chances for a win.

Question for you Tiger Alum, what's the break down on seniors starting for Hilliard Davidson this year?

That stinks to hear, that hurts Davidson's chances for a win.

Question for you Tiger Alum, what's the break down on seniors starting for Hilliard Davidson this year?

Honestly, it all starts and ends with the 3 seniors in the offensive backfield. QB Pettit and RB's Weir and Nixon. The 3 headed monster that has done the job pretty much every game this year. It's been fun watching those 3 and they will be sorely missed. The loss of those 3 is huge especially if the defense does not improve significantly next year. The backup QB is a freshman and needs to put on some weight to take the pounding in that system. The good thing about their offense is you can almost always find someone to run the ball effectively. Of course not nearly as effective as the 3 that graduate this year. In all the years I have watched this program, the only year the cupboard was bare with the RB position was 2014 but at least the defense was strong which saved them from a losing record. Again, the defense MUST improve next year as they will not be able to rely on the offense like they have this year.

Honestly, it all starts and ends with the 3 seniors in the offensive backfield. QB Pettit and RB's Weir and Nixon. The 3 headed monster that has done the job pretty much every game this year. It's been fun watching those 3 and they will be sorely missed. The loss of those 3 is huge especially if the defense does not improve significantly next year. The backup QB is a freshman and needs to put on some weight to take the pounding in that system. The good thing about their offense is you can almost always find someone to run the ball effectively. Of course not nearly as effective as the 3 that graduate this year. In all the years I have watched this program, the only year the cupboard was bare with the RB position was 2014 but at least the defense was strong which saved them from a losing record. Again, the defense MUST improve next year as they will not be able to rely on the offense like they have this year.
Cupboard wasn't quite bare in 2014 after they allowed a future professional to tote the ball a few times, but get what you are saying. I loved watching the RB's always get yards after contact, and a sometimes funky running style that looked like they were falling down. But again only needed to get 3 yards per carry!

Cupboard wasn't quite bare in 2014 after they allowed a future professional to tote the ball a few times, but get what you are saying. I loved watching the RB's always get yards after contact, and a sometimes funky running style that looked like they were falling down. But again only needed to get 3 yards per carry!
Yes they gave it to Bailey when they really needed a 1st down on third and 4th and shorts .

Minster is D - 6, small divisions can have small classes. Marion Local a perennial small school power in 2012 I believe had just 7 srs.
I realize that . Two Minster sources whose kids played for him held him
Somewhat responsible . Team was a bit down last year and way down this year . Happens . Hadn’t happened at Coffman in over 20 years . Not blaming Stokes for the rebuild but it’s been worse than anyone thought possible TBH and I was thinking the 20 year run of no losing or even 500 seasons was probably done after losing so many starters and good players but giving up 40 a game has been rough

Nixon will start, but the risk of recurrence is obviously high. I assume you mistyped when you said #4, since he suffered a season ending injury a couple of weeks ago that reshuffled the defensive backfield.

Status
Not open for further replies.