Dublin Coffman Rocks 2021

Status
Not open for further replies.
Another winning week vs. the Cal Preps line going 5-3 with a few of them right on the button. But for em as always in every level of football it's about covering the number. What I do is based on that and we try to get closer to 60 percent than 50 . We are achieving that vs. CP as usual. Miss the Louie P lines .

A barrage of points later in the second quarter led UA to their first win in 9 years over Coffman. Talked to two parents who of course went to the game and said it wasn't that bad. I guess that what this is about now. It's like asking someone how they are doing and they say 'Not TOO bad " .

Look this season is what it is . But the numbers in this game don't look like a blowout but the bottom line is teams are SCORING , making explosive plays that score. Coffman needs drives and after many plays mistakes often happen. Last year Buttermore said that his team could run the ball well but wasn't efficient of real effective throwing it and making explosive plays. That is why they scored 14 points a lot . he said it again on the post-game show. He is right .

Go back to 2015 and week 10. UA with two Senior transfers QB Murducco and playmaker Speight gave them that explosive element. Rocks with the D-1 QB and some good playmakers won 38-31. The next week in round one UA beat Pick Central 27-17 . Not a great PC team but they beat them. UA beat them the next year in the reg. season as well. Can they do it this year? I don't think so. But it will be interesting . Getting those explosive plays vs rebuilding Liberty and REALLY rebuilding Coffman is one thing , PC is a different animal.

Coffman ran 15 more plays , had three more first downs. Had the ball for 6 more minutes . Weren't terrible on 3rd down 6-14 but were 1-4 on 4th. They ran the ball 45 times for 218 yards. UA only had 35 more yards offense. The Rocks only had 15 penalty yards to 40 for the Bears. UA wins by almost the exact score that I had. I had 41-13 .. Not a bad effort snap for snap , but you need to score.

Liberty I would not have taken if I knew their starting QB the dynamic Soph. Seibert was out . Came all the way back from 17-0 . Then gave up two FG in the last few minutes. Big play was down 7-0 later second quarter Liberty drives to the one-foot line goes for it on 4th down and the backs and QB turn the opposite way, busted play and Davidson gets it at the 5 and then scores to take a 14-0 lead. Liberty outgained Bradley last week but couldn't score but 3 points . They miss that QB in the red zone. The Senior QB had a nice night eventually throwing for 285 as Liberty outgained Davidson by almost 100 yards. Very unlike Liberty to outgain two straight opponents but can't score enough to win. Explosive plays issue? This keeps coming up because it's a fact of life in all levels of football . Settling for FG attempts too often and having to drive the ball long distances too often results in close losses. The ultimate difference was HD being a bit better on third down 46 percent to 40 percent, and 1-1 on 4th down and Liberty 0-1 [Crucial one obviously} and Davidson had ZERO penalty yards to 50 yards for Liberty which helped negate the yardage advantage Liberty had.

Like Coffman , Berlin held up well after one quarter or so but a 21 point second quarter doomed their thoughts of an upset. This game wasn't nearly as close on the sgat sheet as the UA-Coffman game though. M-Ville is not real dynmaic as we know , but they pounded the rock 50 times for a pedestrian 4 yards a crack BUT they were 4-4 throwing for 119 yards !! A bit over 150 more yards than Berlin which those passing ayrds really account for. Berlin had no running game at all . They were also an inefficent 11-28 but did pick up 192 yards. M-Ville was 8-15 on third down and 2-2 on 4th. Berlin struggled going 1-9 on third and 0-2 on 4th. M-Ville is the most consistent team in CO . Springfield awaits most likley but if they play their best game and S-Field palys just well? Who knows. Springfield would be a 7 point favorite currently per Cal preps.

Last week we got a great Sunday early line getting a TD of value but BG still lost to Akron. MAC is a tricky league to figure sometimes. Got two really nice openers that me and the boys hope to cash . Cal was an nice underdog last night as Oregon big hopes dashed in that surreal loss to Stanford is also really banged up physically. Got 13.5 and Cal lost by a TD. Ducks were the last West coast hope for a play-off spot.

Colorado State is really improved it came out at 7 as we had it 11. it is now 11. CSU should beat New Mexico by two scores minimum . Local Favorite Cincinnati is a team I have done pretty well with so far , didn't play the Temple blowout win, because the trends were overwhelmingly pointing to Temple in that spot so i sayed away. Botttom line is they like Ohio State needs to rout as many teams as they can at this point. Cincy much more desperate due to a weaker schedule . Central Florida has eroded after Frost left . Speaking of Frost our UNDER 6.5 wins with Nebraska looks pretty good after Nebraska's tough loss to Michigan last week at home [32-29} . That performance has them a 4.5 favorite on the road at Minnesota. I think this team off of another tough loss in a full 60 minute battel going on the road to take on Minnesota off of a bye week shouldn't be a 4.5 fav. Minnesota + 4.5 is the play.

Back to Cincinnati and a fading CFU program. Laid the 16 which is up to about 21- 21.5 now . Like Cincy to win something like 38- 14 or like .

CO Top dog PC bullied Lancaster pretty well with a 371- 157 yardage advantage pounding the rock for a gaudy 363 ayrds on 38 attempts. No pass game needed, but I think they may need it at some point . Will it be there? Gales couldn't run it that well 41 cracks for 96 yards ? PC is nasty up front no question. Gales did get 61 through the air on 2-4 passing . We had this one pretty much spot on as well.

Thought NA was a bit better than PN and would wear them down and win by a bit more than one point. PN is a good team. They play down to competition sometimes [Frequently the last few years} but they stepped up last night and went toe to toe with what some long time NA fans think is the best NA team in the program history. Could be recency bias and the weaker schedule which resulted in routs every week for a while but they probably one of the top few teams they have had over there.

NA had about 50 more yards and relied on the run game as they usually do getting 305 yards on 47 carries , PN had trouble running it with only 75 yards . They did get 238 through the air{14-25} taking the lead at the half as the PN defense shut out NA. Gut check and big test for NA and they passed .

The Sawmill Express wasn't quite efficient enough to beat Big Nut last night. BW is a surprise team with one signature win vs Westy South and Kilbourne took them to the 4th quarter. Other games were blowouts against weaker comp. As expected BW pounded it with the run game netting 305 yards on 55 attempts , and Scioto had a modest 70 yards on 22 tries . The Irish issue was a - 2 in the turnover battle , and 13-27 for 157 passing line which vs, this team isn't good enough to off-set the run game of the opponent.

Jerome won a wild one vs Olentangy who seems to play in these types of games often. Hail Mary to huge receiver Adolph [6-5.} who barely was in bounds was a killer for Jerome. The Country Clubbers were in control at 14-3 then got outscored by a few TD's and were suddenly behind later in the game .

Some more college opinions for those inclined to care . Two strong trends point to two games which I played . Speaking of trends I liked the Cal -Oregon game fundamentally and situationally , but part of what sealed it was Cal Coach Wilcox was 8-1 ATS last 9 on the road as a underdog and Oregon was on a 0-4 run as a home fav.

UNC - 6.5 [now 7-7.5} over Miami , UNC owns Miami lately and Miami is on a bad ATS run and is off of a tough close loss to UVA and UNC at home needs the win badly and this is a dead spot for Miami who hasn't been on the road this year . UNC by 10-14 seems very reasonable even with UNC really disappointing so far . heading to South Bend for the UNC game in a couple weeks . thought this would be a more marquee game but it's always great being in South Bend for a football weekend.

That Colorado State game I liked fundamentally and line value obviously but the trend that New Mexico is on a horrific 2-15 ATS run at home was a mint on the pillow.

Air Force and playing them UNDER has been very good to us as we saw again last week. Not playing the total, but Air Force grabbing 4.5 vs Boise is a play. AFA had beaten Boise three times as an underdog [2014-2016 and have a similar fundamental advantage} Boise was outplayed snap for snap by BYU last week getting outgained but got a few key turnovers to turn a 10-0 deficit around .

Army travels to Wisconsin off of a loss two weeks ago to Ball State. The game will fly by and opened at Wiscy -10 , I didn't get it at that price but got 12.5 and took it . I made it 13.5. It's now 14. I believe Wisky is better than the record and while Illinois isn't good, it appears that Wisky is at least a bit back on track and will be a tough team to move the ball against the rest of the way after posting the shutout. Wisky has given up a bushel of points at times but fundamentally they should hold this team 13-14 points at MOST and they should score 4 Touchdowns .

Oklahoma got the miracle win and cover last week vs. Texas . They haven't gotten margins in most games and have struggled on offense. Frosh Williams got the offense going and that game was a war . They have not really solved the offensive woes IMO and the true Frosh isn't going to have smooth sailing indefinitely . I think this is a letdown spot and Oklahoma hasn't proven to get consistent margins . TCU is on a pretty good stretch of covering on the road and I like the rising spread [Rule of thumb is bet favs early , dogs later } as they seem to be begging you to take Okie just a smidge under 2 Td's . Oklahoma has had trouble putting teams away all season , I don't think they suddenly start clicking on a ll cylinders, especially off of that huge win. How do they get back up emotionally? TCU has nothing to lose and played a like opponent really close [Texas} .

I feel very good at getting Cleveland in a good situationally spot at - 2.5 to beat Arizona . Now with Murray's shoulder a bit dinged [We saw the difference last year when he hurt it} and nlow with HC being COVID ed along with a couple others .

Miami is reeling and is a bad football team at the moment. Across the pond game with Jax this week. Jax is beyond reeling and is worse than bad . These teams play and the UNDER always comes in [7-1 LAST 8} Not sure exactly why , but it is a strong trend. Opened at 47 and was happy with that number as I made it 44 . It is now 43.5 . Will Jax get a win finally after 20 straight defeats? Not this week as bad as Miami has played.

Liberty I would not have taken if I knew their starting QB the dynamic Soph. Seibert was out . Came all the way back from 17-0 . Then gave up two FG in the last few minutes. Big play was down 7-0 later second quarter Liberty drives to the one-foot line goes for it on 4th down and the backs and QB turn the opposite way, busted play and Davidson gets it at the 5 and then scores to take a 14-0 lead. Liberty outgained Bradley last week but couldn't score but 3 points . They miss that QB in the red zone. The Senior QB had a nice night eventually throwing for 285 as Liberty outgained Davidson by almost 100 yards. Very unlike Liberty to outgain two straight opponents but can't score enough to win. Explosive plays issue? This keeps coming up because it's a fact of life in all levels of football . Settling for FG attempts too often and having to drive the ball long distances too often results in close losses. The ultimate difference was HD being a bit better on third down 46 percent to 40 percent, and 1-1 on 4th down and Liberty 0-1 [Crucial one obviously} and Davidson had ZERO penalty yards to 50 yards for Liberty which helped negate the yardage advantage Liberty had.
Liberty had 3 plays over 50 yards that accounted for 44% of their yards. Maybe it's not enough explosive plays to win, but they had far more of them yesterday than their opponent did.

Solis has an unbelievable knack for losing games his team should have won. Not exactly sure what the problem is, but his teams are definitely snake-bitten.

Big Walnut is a non-story. Would be 5-5 playing Berlin or Tangy's schedule and you would never hear about them. They wont even reach the regional finals and are a complete non-issue. Will grant you that they seem to have younger players on their team and could be building to something better next year, but let's wait and see until they play some actual competition on a regular basis, because they absolutely have not this year.

Liberty had 3 plays over 50 yards that accounted for 44% of their yards. Maybe it's not enough explosive plays to win, but they had far more of them yesterday than their opponent did.
Shut out in the first half and 3 points last week . Davidson defense isn’t stout . Got behind 17-0 nice comeback . Lost anyway . Rebuilding year . Do they routinely get them this year against decent defenses ? They only got them against a MEH defense who was up 17 . If Soph QB plays I think they win fir the record even with the big numbers in the second half. What did they get the last couple times they had the ball when he he game was in the balance ? The only times they have won comfortably is when they had large turnover margins

Solis has an unbelievable knack for losing games his team should have won. Not exactly sure what the problem is, but his teams are definitely snake-bitten.

Big Walnut is a non-story. Would be 5-5 playing Berlin or Tangy's schedule and you would never hear about them. They wont even reach the regional finals and are a complete non-issue. Will grant you that they seem to have younger players on their team and could be building to something better next year, but let's wait and see until they play some actual competition on a regular basis, because they absolutely have not this year.
Not sure Tamgy “ should “ have won despite the lucky heave . Scored 3 in the first half ? Bigger comebacks take something from you and isometimes you have trouble finishing . Basketball teams run into this dynamic . Press and scramble for a while come back and falter from fatigue late

Going back a few pages but the whole discussion about hiring coaches and using Pick Central as an example…

Logically - yes if Coach Sharrett stepped down one would think we would promote from within the program. And I’m fairly certain we would if the AD was selecting the new coach. However the wildcard in the scenario is the district office. It’s hard to tell what they would do. They don’t and won’t get involved or don’t care much when it comes to filling a job like girls lacrosse coach, but football coach is high profile so they might feel the need to stick their noses in. There has been some turnover the past year or two at the district office so it might not be applicable to the current administration but in years past if/when they got involved let’s just say there could be surprises or controversy.

Maybe that is/was the case in Dublin. Maybe the AD and principal at Coffman wanted to stay in house by district HQ pushed for new blood?

Also all this talk sound as though some want the new Coffman coach to be gone sooner than later and some of the Olentangy people taking about firing their coach.

In this day & age the last thing most ADs want to have to do is a coaching search. It’s not as easy as the old days. There aren’t dozens of ‘qualified’ people looking for coaching jobs. And most districts’ hands are tied a bit when it comes to offering coaching jobs that also have teaching positions attached.

Unless the head coach does something inappropriate or illegal, ADs are not going to run them off just because they had a losing season or two.

Local Favorite Cincinnati is a team I have done pretty well with so far , didn't play the Temple blowout win, because the trends were overwhelmingly pointing to Temple in that spot so i sayed away. Botttom line is they like Ohio State needs to rout as many teams as they can at this point. Cincy much more desperate due to a weaker schedule . Central Florida has eroded after Frost left . Speaking of Frost our UNDER 6.5 wins with Nebraska looks pretty good after Nebraska's tough loss to Michigan last week at home [32-29} . That performance has them a 4.5 favorite on the road at Minnesota. I think this team off of another tough loss in a full 60 minute battel going on the road to take on Minnesota off of a bye week shouldn't be a 4.5 fav. Minnesota + 4.5 is the play.

Back to Cincinnati and a fading CFU program. Laid the 16 which is up to about 21- 21.5 now . Like Cincy to win something like 38- 14 or like .
Cincinnati has now covered the spread in every one of their games this season.

Agree about BW, the schedule is terrible. With Solis he is very solid X’s and O’s wise but I have heard from several people close to his program that he is not well liked or easy to play for and a lot of times the culture is a big factor in close games. I am aware kids today are “soft” but coaches have to adjust in my opinion, it’s just a different time to be a coach.

Side note, Solis has been spotted coaching the Olentangy JH teams more than once while his varsity practice is still wrapping up. Besides this being a bad look leaving your own practice before it is complete but he is doing it for selfish reasons to coach the OSU coaches son to get his “in” with the Buckeyes. Day’s son must attend Olentangy feeder?

*Just to be clear I am not saying they should be looking for a coach or anything close to that. Solis is a solid coach. Simply just an observation.

Last edited:
Agree about BW, the schedule is terrible. With Solis he is very solid X’s and O’s wise but I have heard from several people close to his program that he is not well liked or easy to play for and a lot of times the culture is a big factor in close games. I am aware kids today are “soft” but coaches have to adjust in my opinion, it’s just a different time to be a coach.

Side note, Solis has been spotted coaching the Olentangy JH teams more than once while his varsity practice is still wrapping up. Besides this being a bad look leaving your own practice before it is complete but he is doing it for selfish reasons to coach the OSU coaches son to get his “in” with the Buckeyes. Day’s son must attend Olentangy feeder?

*Just to be clear I am not saying they should be looking for a coach or anything close to that. Solis is a solid coach. Simply just an observation.
I have heard the same thing. His staff has turned over several times. He was also at several of shanahan’s 7th grade games coaching up RJ Day on the sideline.

I have heard the same thing. His staff has turned over several times. He was also at several of shanahan’s 7th grade games coaching up RJ Day on the sideline.

Solis is a excellent football coach and has done great things at Olentangy. His personality is out there. He loves him some "me" and deems himself to be a college coach in waiting. He joined a friend and I for a few pops one evening and spent 2 hours telling us how Tom Herman was going to hire him at Texas. He was at Olentangy a couple weeks and one of the teaching and athletic staff told me "he better win or he won't be here long with that personality" To his credit he has held up his end of the bargain. He has been successful despite the Berlin opening decimating his talent pool.

Yes, Day's son is in 7th at Shanny, keep in mind Solis also coached Kevin Wilson's son, who I believe walked on and is on the roster at OSU now. Tangy was given access to OSU practice facility last year when it was 20 degrees out. So he clearly has the connections. Whether or not it will ever lead to a hire, who knows.

The OL QB got hurt last week. The backup is solid, but it's not the same.

Yes, Day's son is in 7th at Shanny, keep in mind Solis also coached Kevin Wilson's son, who I believe walked on and is on the roster at OSU now. Tangy was given access to OSU practice facility last year when it was 20 degrees out. So he clearly has the connections. Whether or not it will ever lead to a hire, who knows.

Wilson has worked his way into the 2 deep at OSU and has played in a lot of games so far this year. With Harry Miller missing a lot of games for OSU this year, Wilson was the backup center. And last week Harry Miller was a backup Guard and Wilson was still with the 2's as a center.

Solis is a excellent football coach and has done great things at Olentangy. His personality is out there. He loves him some "me" and deems himself to be a college coach in waiting. He joined a friend and I for a few pops one evening and spent 2 hours telling us how Tom Herman was going to hire him at Texas. He was at Olentangy a couple weeks and one of the teaching and athletic staff told me "he better win or he won't be here long with that personality" To his credit he has held up his end of the bargain. He has been successful despite the Berlin opening decimating his talent pool.

He has won but not at a crazy rate lost several consecutive games to Liberty (before the split) and has won one regional championship early in tenure in D2. Again, he has won but not much if any more than the other Olentangy’s. People keep saying the split was hard for him but Berlin literally started from scratch a few years ago and I think they are already better.

I mentioned the OL QB being out a few times . Wouldn’t have taken them to win if I knew that . Not a ton of explosive plays with him either overall . Rebuild for them . Back in the hunt next year

He has won but not at a crazy rate lost several consecutive games to Liberty (before the split) and has won one regional championship early in tenure in D2. Again, he has won but not much if any more than the other Olentangy’s. People keep saying the split was hard for him but Berlin literally started from scratch a few years ago and I think they are already better.

I mean, the guy has 10 playoff wins and 4 regional finals in his last 8 seasons, including 2 of those finals post Berlin split. There are very, very few coaches who can say that. There isn't anyone this side of Sharret that stands up when compared to Hale's record, so if you want to compare him to Hale that's fine, but if you compare him to 95% of other coaches in COH, his record destroys theirs this past decade.

Berlin started from scratch with half of his team. Nori is also a very good coach and has done a lot, but they have the raw talent right now too with several D1 prospects on their team. Solis is taking average kids and making them competitive, and they absolutely outplayed Berlin and should have won this year, as they should have with Jerome.

Dublin Coffman-2022

It will be interesting to see the schedule in 2022. They still play Jerome (9-9-22), I know some yappi posters said that Coffman and Jerome won't be playing each other in sports (Not true). I thought the Turpin game was a 2 year contract, could be wrong.

One thing for sure, the Rocks will return much more Friday night experience and starters next year than they had this year. I don't care who the coaches were, this year was a rebuild year with 18 starters gone including 5 D1 players. Also with the Covid year in 2020 and the lack of blow outs, the backups didn't get much Friday night experience.

With the right non league schedule the Rocks should have a better record next year.

Key Loses from this years team:
Maggs- QB-Will play D2 or possibly FCS next year.
Hedderly-WR-Will play D2.
Broskie-LB- Will Wrestle D1.
Diehl-WR-Will play College Baseball.
Smith-LB- Could play D3 Football.

Offense:

OL-3 Starters Back.

TE-1 Starter Back.

WR-5 with Friday Night experience.

QB-Should be a 4 person race. I think 2 QB's will see playing time.

RB- 2 with a lot of Friday Night experience.

Defense:

DL- 2 Starters Back.

LB- 3 Starters, 1 with a lot of Friday Night experience.

S- 1 Starter Back.

CB- 1 Starter, 2 with a lot of Friday Night experience.

P- Starter Back.

K- Starter Back.

LS- Starter Back.

H- Starter Back.

Last edited:
I mean, the guy has 10 playoff wins and 4 regional finals in his last 8 seasons, including 2 of those finals post Berlin split. There are very, very few coaches who can say that. There isn't anyone this side of Sharret that stands up when compared to Hale's record, so if you want to compare him to Hale that's fine, but if you compare him to 95% of other coaches in COH, his record destroys theirs this past decade.

Berlin started from scratch with half of his team. Nori is also a very good coach and has done a lot, but they have the raw talent right now too with several D1 prospects on their team. Solis is taking average kids and making them competitive, and they absolutely outplayed Berlin and should have won this year, as they should have with Jerome.

I Agree but prior to this season I wouldn’t say they “average” kids when compared to many central Ohio schools (Worthingtons, Westervilles, Southwest City Schools, Columbus City, even Hilliard and Dublin’s some years) they traditionally have solid talent at all positions not just skill like Westerville South and they are also hard working disciplined kids which matters a great deal in football and all of the playoff wins are in Division 2 which is not deep in central Ohio. Not taking anything away from him, I think he is a very good coach but to make it sound like he is leading a Westland, Grove City or a Kilbourne level talent to these wins is inaccurate in my opinion. Down this year? Possibly but they haven’t been for the better part of the last decade.

They could make a run this year depending on where they land. Take away Massillon and they could match up with most teams in Region 7.

Last edited:
There was some good news for Rocks football this week after all. They picked up some miracle Harbins with a Hail Mary in the DJ-OL game and Orange finally winning a close one nipping Bradley 29-27 . Groveport beat the Nerk club football team to further add to the Harbie windfall. Rocks are 13th out of 18 teams . Groveport plays Central Crossing so there is a chance for them to win that one, Jerome vs Darby ? Darby most likely and Orange plays a suddenly struggling Liberty team playing without their talented Soph. QB . Rocks make their first ever trip out to the boondocks of Hilliard to take on Bradley to end their worst regular season since ? Well the year before the dark days and undertrained Crabtree era the team was 4-6 under coach Tudor in 2000 and that was with a handful of D-1 kids . He 'Left" , and the team went to the Final four the next year . Not a 500 season since then. But the new golden age is upon us as you have to fall hard in order to get back up from being undertrained soft weak kids who were part of a medicore on a good day program. Bradley is a winnable game I suppose IF they can suddenly stop giving up big plays in the passing and running game . Sounds simple, but when you are giving up an average of almost 40? You aren't going to win many ballgames . Tear down was needed, I am told the reason why the team is losing and it has ZERO to do with the actual coaches of 2021 and everything to do with the previous regime . Just ask the people over at Coffman , they will tell you thier version of the truth and that is the gospel truth. . You just have to ask them. They will tell you just how bad it was and how good it is now.

Good day in CFB even with few last second backdoor losses . NC-6.5 was covering all day , until the end , Utah Statre wasn't but teased them UNC knowing they both probably at least win the games and the backdoor would be closed. It was both won by three . it negated the losses a bit. TCU scoring 31 and not covering was tough. Kid palyed an unreal game in his first start , hats off putting up half a hundred.

Wisconsin gave up a TD with 35 second left to lose that one for us . Lots of easy button wins though adn a very nice day. Cal on Friday covered by a TD . Colorado State crushed New Mexico. Cincinnati box to wire rout , Minnesota getting 4.5 won outright by a TD. Air Force catching 4.5 wins outright by a TD continuing their winning ways for us , Texas A'm -11.5 and Western Michigan - 7 in a large teaser as Mizzou continues being a bad home team [Routed by 30+ vs Tennessee } and Kent got run out by WMU. 2-1 on totals ended a nice day.

Cleveland -2.5 was a larger position for us , They are now - 3.5 on the news that the HC and a couple others are not going to be there after testing positive for COVID. This morning we took Miami - 2.5 now up to 3 as well over Jax . Will Meyer stay there after the game to have an extra order of Fish and Chips? Bangers and Mash ? Cousin over there he needed to see?

Dublin Coffman-2022

It will be interesting to see the schedule in 2022. They still play Jerome (9-9-22), I know some yappi posters said that Coffman and Jerome won't be playing each other in sports (Not true). I thought the Turpin game was a 2 year contract, could be wrong.

One thing for sure, the Rocks will return much more Friday night experience and starters next year than they had this year. I don't care who the coaches were, this year was a rebuild year with 18 starters gone including 5 D1 players. Also with the Covid year in 2020 and the lack of blow outs, the backups didn't get much Friday night experience.

With the right non league schedule the Rocks should have a better record next year.

Offense:

OL-3 Starters Back.

TE-1 Starter Back.

Defense:

DL- 2 Starters Back.

S- 1 Starter Back.

P- Starter Back.

K- Starter Back.

LS- Starter Back.

H- Starter Back.
You are correct. Jerome and Coffman have an agreement to play football in the 2022 season. However Coffman has declined the opportunity to schedule Jerome in both Boys Lacrosse and Baseball. (This is True)

I Agree but prior to this season I wouldn’t say they “average” kids when compared to many central Ohio schools (Worthingtons, Westervilles, Southwest City Schools, Columbus City, even Hilliard and Dublin’s some years) they traditionally have solid talent at all positions not just skill like Westerville South and they are also hard working disciplined kids which matters a great deal in football and all of the playoff wins are in Division 2 which is not deep in central Ohio. Not taking anything away from him, I think he is a very good coach but to make it sound like he is leading a Westland, Grove City or a Kilbourne level talent to these wins is inaccurate in my opinion. Down this year? Possibly but they haven’t been for the better part of the last decade.

They could make a run this year depending on where they land. Take away Massillon and they could match up with most teams in Region 7.
Definite agree they had above avg kids prior to this year, and he made 4 regional finals, including the last 2. Steep drop off this year though, and they are like 3 plays away from being 6-3 regardless.

They are 100% drawing Berlin in the 1st round unless something highly unexpected happens the final week. Unfortunate for both teams, as they might be the 2nd and 3rd best teams in the region right now (both would definitely beat Big Walnut).

Dublin Coffman-2022

Offense:

OL-3 Starters Back.

TE-1 Starter Back.

Defense:

DL- 2 Starters Back.

S- 1 Starter Back.

P- Starter Back.

K- Starter Back.

LS- Starter Back.

H- Starter Back.

Defense can't possibly be any worse . It will likley improve with the experience albeit rough experience gotten this fall. The unit had three proven kids who could get the job done if not shine . DL Smith and Buckley and LB/Saf Hybrid , Broskie. They have all played well. Buckley was used on the O-Line early on. Only Smith returns and he will attend college tuition free somewhere and be one of the topm few DL in the area for sure IMO. Really nice building block up front. How many more kids can playup there with him ? At what level?

Returning starters from a typical Coffman defense over the last 20 years and returnees from this unit are two different things unfortunately. There will be improvment , the kids will lift and train as if they are a member of the Soviet Red Army hockey team from yestery year. Will the get quicker? A bit faster ? More instinctive? Take better angles to the ball? Set ANY kind of edge consistently ? Say the defense improves from giving up 40 and game and lowers it to closer to 20-24 ? The offense loses their top 4 prodcuers . So ? What happens ? The scores will be lower on both sides but will that translate to wins? Now UA won't have a Gresock level RB and Davidson won't have anything like Weir or Nixon unless they are hiding some kids somewhere . That will help. a bit vs the rivals . The Jerome Seniors next year will have beaten Coffman Seniors like a drum since 7th grade , until this year . I mean if not next year after 5-6 years of better feeder teams? When? I though this year was a foregone conclusion . WRONG, Jerome knew what was coming and couldn't stop it for the full 4 quarters and somehow lost a ballgame in which they returned THREE KO's for TD's . Impossible? Not for them it wasn't .

Davidson 2021 level non conference slate would help . But is it possible? I know Stokes keeps saying in the press and everywhere people will listen that they will win once they learn to do things right? Kind of ambiguous isn't it ? Is there some secret forumula of 'right " .Well he didn't have the horses at Minster in 2020 and mediocrity ensued. He trained them for their whole careers and even he couldn't produce a winning season. The program has lost numbers in the Junior and Senior classes . That is part of his legacy as well as the two state titles. He left the program at a low point . He takes over a huge rebuild project here and is struggling. Not unexpected . The extent of the struggle was also unexpected to a degree.

The reason I opined that three years may be a tipping point in this Stokes tenure is based on basic human nature , ego and expectations. He can say until he is blue in the face that he is here for the long haul, most people taking big jobs in any field say the same exact thing . it's irrelevent. The adminstration can say they are giving him 15 years or into infinity , does that mean he stays a long time ? Oh that's right they said it so it's gospel . lmao . He will also tell you if you ask him that it is the previous staff's fault that the kids can't play better . Just ask him .

People take on challenges , say they are here for the long haul and have an expectation of improvment and growth. When that doesn't happen what do human beings do ? They reassess . They look at the chances for success and if they don't see mediocrity ending in a somewhat timely manner? They start looking elsewhere. Happens in every field. Especially guys with ego's who have suceeded before. You think they want to be in a sitaution where the results are MEH for an extended period of time when they may have other options ? How many bosses have any of you had or co -workers say they see themselves here for a long time . Want to settle down here? Two years later? Goals aren't met , they don't see success immediatley on the horizon. What they are doing isn't working in this job. They see obstacles and roadblocks to greater success . No coach wants to go too long without winning . Coaches who are used to winning this goes double for. Hard to predcit the future, may be Stokes wins 7 or 8 the next couple years and this thing works out and he stays. Hope so . Am I optimistic ? Not really . But if it doesn't work I would advise not blaming the previous staff .

Last edited:
For those inclined , adding teaser Rams - 7.5 over Giants and Carolina + 2.5 , Rams need to win by 2 Carolina needs to stay within 8 points .
Chargers + 3 to defeat Baltimore - Baltimore needed a miracle 66 yarder to beat Detroit and Indy to be using thier third string secondary after being absurdly beat up . KC win looks less impressive over time and while Jackson is a magiician the Bolts have a great one themselves and a better overall team at the moment.

UNDER 50 Giants Rams game as well .

Thought we had both the side and total, but Miami has officially hit rock bottom . Corners and two good receivers were out , but up 10 against the worst team in football and you can't put them away , can't gain a half yard [I would have punted seeing as you have no QB sneak option because Brissett is out. Then to give up that quick completion and lose that way ? ROCK BOTTOM . UNDER 47 was pretty comfortable most of the way , but losing another one that was basically covering the whole away is another kick in the butt. Thought we got off to the 2-0 start , but Fins had other ideas.

Defense can't possibly be any worse . It will likley improve with the experience albeit rough experience gotten this fall. The unit had three proven kids who could get the job done if not shine . DL Smith and Buckley and LB/Saf Hybrid , Broskie. They have all played well. Buckley was used on the O-Line early on. Only Smith returns and he will attend college tuition free somewhere and be one of the topm few DL in the area for sure IMO. Really nice building block up front. How many more kids can playup there with him ? At what level?

Returning starters from a typical Coffman defense over the last 20 years and returnees from this unit are two different things unfortunately. There will be improvment , the kids will lift and train as if they are a member of the Soviet Red Army hockey team from yestery year. Will the get quicker? A bit faster ? More instinctive? Take better angles to the ball? Set ANY kind of edge consistently ? Say the defense improves from giving up 40 and game and lowers it to closer to 20-24 ? The offense loses their top 4 prodcuers . So ? What happens ? The scores will be lower on both sides but will that translate to wins? Now UA won't have a Gresock level RB and Davidson won't have anything like Weir or Nixon unless they are hiding some kids somewhere . That will help. a bit vs the rivals . The Jerome Seniors next year will have beaten Coffman Seniors like a drum since 7th grade , until this year . I mean if not next year after 5-6 years of better feeder teams? When? I though this year was a foregone conclusion . WRONG, Jerome knew what was coming and couldn't stop it for the full 4 quarters and somehow lost a ballgame in which they returned THREE KO's for TD's . Impossible? Not for them it wasn't .

Davidson 2021 level non conference slate would help . But is it possible? I know Stokes keeps saying in the press and everywhere people will listen that they will win once they learn to do things right? Kind of ambiguous isn't it ? Is there some secret forumula of 'right " .Well he didn't have the horses at Minster in 2020 and mediocrity ensued. He trained them for their whole careers and even he couldn't produce a winning season. The program has lost numbers in the Junior and Senior classes . That is part of his legacy as well as the two state titles. He left the program at a low point . He takes over a huge rebuild project here and is struggling. Not unexpected . The extent of the struggle was also unexpected to a degree.

The reason I opined that three years may be a tipping point in this Stokes tenure is based on basic human nature , ego and expectations. He can say until he is blue in the face that he is here for the long haul, most people taking big jobs in any field say the same exact thing . it's irrelevent. The adminstration can say they are giving him 15 years or into infinity , does that mean he stays a long time ? Oh that's right they said it so it's gospel . lmao . He will also tell you if you ask him that it is the previous staff's fault that the kids can't play better . Just ask him .

People take on challenges , say they are here for the long haul and have an expectation of improvment and growth. When that doesn't happen what do human beings do ? They reassess . They look at the chances for success and if they don't see mediocrity ending in a somewhat timely manner? They start looking elsewhere. Happens in every field. Especially guys with ego's who have suceeded before. You think they want to be in a sitaution where the results are MEH for an extended period of time when they may have other options ? How many bosses have any of you had or co -workers say they see themselves here for a long time . Want to settle down here? Two years later? Goals aren't met , they don't see success immediatley on the horizon. What they are doing isn't working in this job. They see obstacles and roadblocks to greater success . No coach wants to go too long without winning . Coaches who are used to winning this goes double for. Hard to predcit the future, may be Stokes wins 7 or 8 the next couple years and this thing works out and he stays. Hope so . Am I optimistic ? Not really . But if it doesn't work I would advise not blaming the previous staff .
Stay strong, Harry. Enjoy the ride. You’ll be glad you did.

Season has flown by , and the anticipated rebuilds of Coffman,. Westerville Central and Liberty , three programs that just recently were among the top 5 or higher certainly , in the last decade have dropped off in varying degrees . Westy C the largest perhaps , Coffman who lost to Liberty by 28 and then Liberty who has kind of meandered in between , we are getting it now and well it is a rebuilding year which I opined earlier when they and Coffman were ranked much too high pre-season based on reputation. Darby and Davidson have done better than most predicted although Davidson's early season success was schedule related, they have taken care of business vs Coffman and Liberty and should give UA a decent tussle although it appears Nixon who has been their best back may be hurt.

Solis has done some good work as always as his team in the pre-season looked akin to Coffman in terms of material and heavy losses from the year before but he has done better than the Rocks have overall I think , but that's understandable as he has been there for a while and Coffman is a brand new 'Brand " for lack of a better term. It is though, right? Tear down is deemed necessary is the prevailing wisdom. We will win differently , with different types of players and people and do it the 'Right " way . OK . The previous way was wrong. Just ask the new staff , they will tell you , Ask the Principal and some former coaches who are retired, this is the right way of doing things now after the embarrassment of the previous years . let's go back in time if we can. Make Coffman what it used to be . Oh wait, what did that look like in the 80's ? Oh Some remember . We can make it happen . Old school values and harken back to a more normal time .

Small town American values. A simpler time . Let's just try to forget the last handful of years and leave it all behind us . A clean break , as many of the former bad culture guys need to be banished , gone , reduced to a memory and you don't even have to thank them for their service. They were a big problem . Breath a sigh of relief that they are gone and be very thankful for what we now have I was told. I am and it has nothing to do with some perceived cleansing of Coffman football.

. The so called 'Bad culture " era. I was hearing things like 'You won't believe what you will see, this is going to be a religious experience the great transformation . Well, it has been that so far no question. Very consistent week in a week out product. Like going to church, with the sermon changing a bit but basically the same schedule and experience. Comforting. So much so that I skipped a Friday game because I knew exactly how it would turn out [Check the projected score I gave} } and knew I needed a week off take from the great transformation.

Two weeks left , and best-case scenario is a win over Bradley and a competitive play-off loss . Worst case is a mistake filled 34-13 loss to Bradley and a noncompetitive loss to in the play-offs and an off-season filled with working furiously to not have this once in a 30 years season repeat itself .

Former staff can and probably will be blamed for next year if it doesn't turn out much better, But after that? This staff is on their own . it's not your parents fault, it's your responsibility . You can't tell each other that the kids were mistreated , undertrained, don't know how to work, still don't get it because thew were so poorly trained before 'and are soft because of someone else . It will be your team and your mistakes made each week schematically on defense and on special teams . Who is to blame for the last two years of Minster football by the way?

I still like the hire , think he's a good coach, but this whole rhetoric of it's a trash program that needed this guy to come in and clean up as if it was an unkept eyesore tear down near a vacant lot and that the whole area needed to be tnt'd to the ground is too much a load of bullchit to bear. Of course, a certain faction of the administration and 'community thought there was a big problem that needed fixing. Well let the fixing begin please. The bad culture has been torn down as evidenced by this year . Much better now than it was before . But lets start cleaning up the rubble of a probable 3-8 give up an average of 40 a game season from the worst storm to hit these parts in three decades mess and start rebuilding. One caveat. Stop blaming the past staff as being abusive innatentive parents harming thier 'good kids" not teaching them the right way to do things and start owning at least 'Some" of this mess . The margins at the least are on you . Fix some of that next year for a start. That is the most disappointing thing, The getting beat by a lot most weeks sucks to be sure, but this whole it is so much better around here now stuff is nauseating . Just look forward already

Two weeks left , and best-case scenario is a win over Bradley and a competitive play-off loss . Worst case is a mistake filled 34-13 loss to Bradley and a noncompetitive loss to in the play-offs and an off-season filled with working furiously to not have this once in a 30 years season repeat itself .

Status
Not open for further replies.