Dublin Coffman Rocks 2021

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looking at some of the numbers from last night and a few are eye popping. At one point later in the third quarter I said to my guy “. Does he ( Maggs). Have 30 carries ? He said “ probably . Not sure how accurate we were but the kid ended up with 47 carries for 227 yards and 4 touchdowns .

Coffman ran FIFTY ONE more plays than the Country Clubbers did . They ran a whopping 90 plays from scrimmage .

They had the ball for 33 minutes . Ran 63 times averaging 5 yards a pop. Had over 200 more yards than Jerome . Penalty yards and turnovers were even , but the Coffman TO was inside their own 10 resulting in a quick score by Jerome to take the lead at the start of the second half .

Rocks ran a great 2 minute offense to end the first half to tie the contest at 14 . That including the second half they scored FIVE straight touchdowns and one 2 point conversion to match Jerome and send into OT .

How do you combat giving up THREE kick off returns for Touchdowns and your turnover resulting in an 8 yard TD drive due your opponent ? You hold them to 1-7 on third down and 0-1 on 4th down . You go 9-20 in third down and a beyond clutch 6-6 on Fourth down . Most of these were crucial and critical and not converting even one of them probably equals a loss .

Well deserved win for the Rocks. Looks like their Senior kicker / Punter did quit the team ? Back up kicker doesn’t have the leg the quitter had . Beyond rough night for the kick-off team . 2 is absurd, 3 is twilight zone material . About 6 minutes left , Mr. Maggs scores his third TD to make it 35-34 . New kicker was a perfect 4 for 4 on his XP’s , but a Jerome kid flashed off the edge and the kick was off as a result and I thought ? Is this going to be the difference ? KO number 3 is returned for a TD , and I think this is over . Jerome hasn’t had a stop for about 2 hours at this point . They are due aren’t they ? About 5 and half left down 8 and I’m thinking even if Jerome can’t get a stop , the Rocks still have to get the two points to tie it .

Is that going to be the way they lose this game? Rocks convert some clutch 4th downs Jarel Heard makes a few plays to help Superman Mason out a bit (. Heard with a couple receptions and 77 rushing yards on 12 attempts ). They score and it comes down to a two point try . Handoff and reverse throwback to Maggs was the perfect call and we’re heading to OT .

Not so fast . Rocks have to kick off yet . They squib it so Jerome doesn’t return it for a 4th score . But they quickly move towards mid field with some time to complete a couple more to get into long game winning FG range. They complete one into Rocks territory and the faithfuls fear of losing this at the final gun is real . Well there was holding on that play so the game does indeed go to OT and the Rocks who have scored on five straight possessions and have really worn down the Celtics at this point score again . 8 yards in first down but a 5 yard procedure penalty makes it 2nd and 7 instead of second and short . Is this going to be the difference ? No because this train had been rolling downhill for so long that Jerome had run out of the necessary energy to stop it . TD. Kick good , Jerome on third and short fumbles the ball trying to get to the stick , Coffman recovers , ballgame and the field is stormed . Incredible night and win .
something tells me conditioning and kids getting the offense scheme is paying off.... they ran their offense in the game... like they run it in practice, 10-15 seconds to get the play off....

I don’t know how many games the team can or will win , but I think the community understands the nature of this rebuild and the situation . They know that the program had graduated a lot of talented very productive players over the last few years and that this team has a lot less experience , less depth and less size and speed than many previous editions .

Most know that transitions can be difficult in football especially with a new staff , new ideas and philosophy’s . Different culture is being developed and that takes time . There is no need to disparage the old regime which skinned the cat in a different way which was successful for them.

Lets just enjoy the night for what it was . A huge win . The first win . A great atmosphere against a district rival who was 3-0 and whose classes had beaten Coffmans classes coming up through the ranks and was favored to win this one .

What I did see was a great effort snap for snap and a team that didn’t quit , kept its poise and executed well with no margin for error due to really poor specials teams coverage . It’s a positive development in the process and the kids showed a lot of positive attributes on the field and the coaches deserve some credit . The expectations for this years team shouldn’t have been high . Dublin community won’t be happy with losing over the next couple years . This year ? I think we need to manage expectations and embrace positive developments which last night certainly was . Physical game , Maggs is going to need a glacier of ice probably after 47 carries , the team should enjoy the win and be proud of their resilience and executing under pressure . Build on it and go at it hard next week looking for another win . Have to be impressed if only for this week with their physical and mental toughness and finding a way to get it done despite three KO returns for TD’s .
GO ROCKS

Pumped up for those seniors on Coffman's squad. They have been through a lot and this will definitely be something they can hang their hat on this season.

I am very surprised Jerome wasn't able to make adjustments to Coffman's basic offensive game plan.

Overall just a great community event. Hopefully the reports that Coffman's AD does not want to play Jerome anymore are not true.

Thoughts are with the Coffman player injured on the Kickoff.

Best of luck to both teams the rest of the way!

Another really nice weekend in College football as we had some nice easy blowouts in some of the games we shared here, ith Houston, Air Force , Toledo , and a close win with South Carolina who got in a 14-0 in the first half before rallying and only giving up 3 more points. MTSU missed by a point vs VA Tech . Nice totals narrow cover with Iowa -Iowa State staying under 48.5 . Going to be traveling all week so it could be a rare very limited if much of all posting this week. My guys who are with us can always PM me and I'll get back to you. Maybe I can post here or there but it's a few parts nine-day trip. rocks traveling to Groveport this week. GPM has picked up the pace offensively scoring 60 plus points in the last two weeks against Kilbourne and Westland. Rocks need to come down off the first win high in that epic Friday night thriller and be ready to bag another win because they can , they just have to re-focus fully . 90 plays run for the Rocks and Mr. Maggs is going to need some rest this week and he won't be able to carry the rock like that this week anyway.

Some more numbers , Scioto continues to be kind of an enigma. Ran 75 plays this week 330 yards but had three picks in their loss to South. about 6 yards an attempt [21-43 passing} a lot penalty's and a minus 2 TO margin hurt them. But consider this. South ran for a ton of yards [371} on 41 carries, but were 0-10 on third down and 0-4 on 4th down and had 140 yards in penalty's ? How often do you win with that kind of dynamic? Win comfortably ? If you playing Scioto i guess it's not that unusual .

Darby grinded out a nice win , but Davidson never quits and made it interesting. Darby out Davidisoned , the old Davidson. Cats are evolving a bit I think. Ran 17 more plays than the Cats , had the ball for 30 minutes, and who I think is the MVP of CO Horvath was again outstanding, gaining 206 yards rushing , adding 54 passing . 9 yards a carry as Davidson run defense continues to be iffy and may be the fatal flaw ultimately. Nixon was the big rusher this week for them but as always Weir was effective and even completed a long pass downfield that helped make the game close in the 4th.

Not surprising that Liberty defeated Berlin, as I had that getting 6 points as well BUT the margin was surprising. The stats don't show much of a difference save ONE. Patriots only had 30 more yards. Both teams had trouble running the ball with 3 yards a carry like averages were even [17} the scales tilted a bit with Liberty being better on third down[ 50%} to Berlin's 36 percent and Liberty was 3-4 on 4th down , Berlin only 1-4 . Liberty took care of the ball and had no turnovers and Berlin had 4 . Nuff said.

With the score 14-14 , Olentangy had the ball in orange territory facing a 4th and 7 play , mid-way through the 4th so a HUGE play. Soph QB Grunkemeyer , hit Dubby over the middle , the Orange defense played the Ole defense , [Waved } 21-14 Braves they ended up winning 24-21 keeping Orange winless and a getting a huge first win in a big rebuilding season. Pioneers continue to struggle throwing the ball with only 54 yards on 5-14 attempts. Had a very respectable 254 on the ground on 5 yards an attempt. Tangy had about 60 more yards , finally getting a run game going with 5 yards a carry and 138 yards. Talented Soph. QB was an efficient 16-25 for 226 yards. Sloppy game as Orange had 100 yards in penalties and Tangy 70 yards. Turnovers even.

Pick North barely cracked 100 yards , had three first downs and beat PC . PC had 265 yards offense but was poor on third down and was held to under 4 a rush . Oh and while trying to run the clock out nearing a minute left fumbled , North scooped it and scored to tie the 10-3 game. North basically completed one longer pass and got a Fumble and scored . It gets worse. Central drove it and missed a short field goal that would have won the game at the gun. OT a pick in the end zone and a North FG wins it.

Marysville is one of those teams that has an identity . Many teams do , some never find it and or always struggling to maintain it. This was classic M-Ville 27-7 beatdown of Bradley. Rock solid defense holding Bradley to 127 yards , and 7-20 for 52 yards passing. Both teams stunk on third down [20 percent} but bradley couldn stop the M-Ville run game as the Monarchs went for 300 hundy plus getting six yards a crack.

New Albany as we thought would handle Lenkuhster, and they did just that . Ran the ball really well as they usually do pounding it 52 times for 347 yards [6.5 } For good measure they added 91 passing yards on only 4 attempts , completing three of them . NA defense held the Gales to under 4 a carry rushing which was key because the Gales added 191 through the air. NA outgained the Gales 438 to 322.

Westy C got crushed by UA as their rebuilding process continues. UA called off the dogs as the second half was played with the fast clock. [Shrooms were eaten a bit early at Houly's for some lol.

NFL today and opening day is always one of mystery. You know some things but there will be some developments that you didn't see . We like the Panthers to beat the Jets by a TD , Rams just need to win vs the Bears to finish the TB teaser [This one won't make us sweat like that TB - 7.5 having to win by 2 [ late money lost as the line went to 9- 9.5, importance of getting the early price sometimes is the difference. Denver by one score over the Giants and a tickle towards the Under [42, now 41.5}

Added Pittsburgh + 6.5 as I think that Pitt is a bit undervalued off of their bad finish last year and Buffalo has a couple holes that some aren't wanting to notice.

Atlanta by a TD over rebuilding Philly seems reasonable if not probable. Still finishing the card up as I ready for travel before the very interesting 4 game 4.00pm slate .

Thanks for the props on some of the games guys got wins from yesterday. Got a handful of questions about NE over Miami and I missed the number under 3 so I am not playing at 3.5 and paying for [Extra juice } at - 3 may not happen for me either. These numbers have been up so long at this point, and I got some nice early prices but missed that one. Been a excellent first three weeks of CFB. NFL pre-season was a profitable as well. Futures plays with really early totals were NE OVER 9 [Went up }, Cleveland OVER 9.5 [Now 10.5 due to heavy dough being thrown on them} UNDER 6.5 on the Jets OVER 8.5 Broncos , added UNDER 6.5 wins for JAX and Urban Meyer recently. think the transition will be bumpy for Urbie. Favored on the road by 3 -3.5 . What does that tell you about Houston? Real tempted to grab the ridiculous 3.5 and play the Texans.

Got a little pushback for kind of calling the Senior kicker a quitter within the context of my thoughts on the game Friday. I was told he quit the team. He wasn't kicking on Friday. He is a good kicker who waited his turn behind a now graduated solid kicker with a D-1 leg. He will be missed. I know it's not just me certainly but a pet peeve of mine is people who quit mid season or mid job, or mid campaign or mid project . For some reason these types of things irk me . I don't know all the circumstances , so I apologize for referring to him as the 'Quitter". I am sure he had a good enough reason to fold up the tent and go[stay} home . Happy for the new kid who who calmly booted the XP in OT , after missing the previous one he attempted [Rocks got the two points to force OT on the last TD in regulation}. and having to deal with the trauma of THREE KO returns for TD's . 5 of 6 XP in your first Friday night isn't bad young man . good on ya.

Last edited:
Is UA in the discussion of being the best division 1 team in Central Ohio this year ? Darby looks very vulnerable to deep OB option pitches and speed on the edge. Horvath is an absolute beast at running the ball. It took Davidson a quarter and a half to put a spy LB on him. Slowed him down a drive or 2 but unless your Pick Central, you cannot stop him for long. All in all it, it turned out to be a good game. Midway through the 1st quarter, down 14 to 0 and nothing working on offense or defense, I was thinking of leaving early but Davidson showed some heart and adjusted to getting the ball to the edge where Darby struggled. Congrats on the Rocks win !

Is UA in the discussion of being the best division 1 team in Central Ohio this year ?
I think UA will prob be favored in their last 6 games. That just means there is an opportunity for the Bears. 5 of the 6 remaining games will be a very tough, regardless of records.

I think Reynoldsburg will still win 5 or 6 games. Hopefully they haven't thrown in the towel.

Last edited:
Is UA in the discussion of being the best division 1 team in Central Ohio this year ? Darby looks very vulnerable to deep OB option pitches and speed on the edge. Horvath is an absolute beast at running the ball. It took Davidson a quarter and a half to put a spy LB on him. Slowed him down a drive or 2 but unless your Pick Central, you cannot stop him for long. All in all it, it turned out to be a good game. Midway through the 1st quarter, down 14 to 0 and nothing working on offense or defense, I was thinking of leaving early but Davidson showed some heart and adjusted to getting the ball to the edge where Darby struggled. Congrats on the Rocks win !
So Marysville and Pick Central on top in Central Ohio. After that, is it a group with UA, New Albany and Darby and some others?

Groveport vs Coffman any predictions! Groveport is athletic and fast. I think it’ll be a close game!
Unless DC makes personnel changes on kickoff , expect another KOR for a TD for Groveport. Punt could be interesting this week also.

Groveport has a explosive guy back there I expect them to kick it away!

That would be nice if they did, but the current players on Dublin Coffman's Kickoff team are JV players and even a 153 pound freshman. Of the 11 players on kickoff 3 players are varsity starters, the rest are all undersized 9th and 10th grade jv players. You might be able to get away with that on kickoff return, but not kickoff.

There have been kickoff and punt returns all year returned against DC, several were caught before scoring. But 1st and 10 from the 6,15, 21, 23 35, 38, make things really hard on your defense and team. You can't make these numbers up. Then 3 to the house last week and 1 to the house vs Princeton. Some tough times over at DC on special teams.

That would be nice if they did, but the current players on Dublin Coffman's Kickoff team are JV players and even a 153 pound freshman. Of the 11 players on kickoff 3 players are varsity starters, the rest are all undersized 9th and 10th grade jv players. You might be able to get away with that on kickoff return, but not kickoff.

There have been kickoff and punt returns all year returned against DC, several were caught before scoring. But 1st and 10 from the 6,15, 21, 23 35, 38, make things really hard on your defense and team. You can't make these numbers up. Then 3 to the house last week and 1 to the house vs Princeton. Some tough times over at DC on special teams.
Maybe bigkat can answer. Was it Stokes’s MO to put underclassmen on special teams at Minster?

Maybe bigkat can answer. Was it Stokes’s MO to put underclassmen on special teams at Minster?

I have no idea who makes the decision on special teams at DC, i just know the problems aren't a scheme problem but a personnel problem.

Good lucks Rocks, surprise Groveport

yes he did put underclassmen on special teams ( we had usually 50-65 kids on the team, including freshman)....a lot times it was kids that have busted their tails in practice.... just a feeling that some of the boys might be replaced this week, they will work their TAILS off on special teams this week to correct the mistakes....

Last edited:
DC won Freshman and JV last week against Dublin Jerome. Clean sweep!
are the freshman and Jv"s hustling to the ball.... are the varsity players able to go to the JV games? In the MAC , JV games are Sat morning, and Stokes always had the varsity boys at the games, helping coach the players that play their position..... which was kind of fun to watch......

are the freshman and Jv"s hustling to the ball.... are the varsity players able to go to the JV games? In the MAC , JV games are Sat morning, and Stokes always had the varsity boys at the games, helping coach the players that play their position..... which was kind of fun to watch......
Definitely a cool idea. I like it.

On the road so not a lot of time as normal but these are some Interesting games this week in CO HS Cal preps line followed by mine .

Westy South -7 at Big Nut. WSIB - 12
Groveport -2. Coffman. GP - 3
Scioto. -14. Kilbourne. DS -11
Pick C. - 28 Bradley PC - 26
Berlin. - 8. Lenkuhster. OB - 4
R Burg. - 13. Olentangy. RB -16.5
Liberty. -9. at. Westy C. OL. - 16
Pick North. - 19 at Orange. PN. - 17
Upper Arl. - 45. at Central Cr. UA - 34
Davidson. - 24. at. YOTW HD - 24

Nice slate of games, Big Nut should finally get exposed Friday. Dont know much about Kilbourne's team this year, but I expect Scioto to dish it out there. I will be surprised if Berlin can cover 8 pts, but then can win the game. Give me Burg big over Tangy, same with Liberty and PN. Davidson seems like too many points, YOTW playing better these days.

Status
Not open for further replies.