Dublin Coffman Rocks 2020

Yes an amazing sight ,especially after the year we’ve had . Loved the scenery as well . Ryder cup held there “. The war at the shore” . I was pulling for Watson big time myself . Nicklaus winning the Masters footage is always chill inducing .
i really enjoyed every hole..... it was great TV

i really enjoyed every hole..... it was great TV

Yes it was , the wife had some ideas of socializing on Sunday outside away from a TV. Saturday night I told her that I would be inside watching golf from roughly 3 to 7 . If Mickelson wasn't in it ? I am not sitting inside from 3 to 7 lol. Too good a story and a potentially historical happening. Also, a fan of Lefty. Good lesson in perseverance for people of all ages. He had a couple years of futility. He was out of the top 20 in many consecutive tourneys. He pressed on with enthusiasm and kept working at it . Remade his body at 50 . Looks in much better shape than he was in his late 30's. Still cranking it long down fairways. More flexible now. Looks great . All the work culminated in his winning a major on an audacious track that was as long as a day living in Reseda .

Phil like many of the greats is a 'Gym rat", a grinder . Guys like Michael Jordan , Larry Bird and in the more modern era Steph Curry are notorious 'gym rats" to name just a few . He purposefully trained by playing practice rounds of 36 holes or more to make 18 seem like a short casual Friday. He controlled his breathing and moved around the course in a measured slowness that conserved every ounce of energy that he may need later. His shot from the shorter rough on the edge of the fairway was that last shot he had to make to ensure a sure two putt to win it . He executed that shot flawlessly and then he and Brooks got a little more familiar with the crowd. Surreal . Had never seen a crowd get that close to a golfer as he walked up that last fairway to the 18th green to win a tourney . Chills.

Also was watching some College lacrosse as the quarterfinals were being played at Notre Dame . Two former Coffman players and leaders from that great 2019 group that won a state title were playing in the games . Both guys teams lost by a goal one in OT dashing the hopes of their teams meeting in the final 4. Evan James was a force for Loyola MD. in their OT loss to Duke and Nick Harris played for Notre Dame in their narrow loss to Maryland. What a great team that was. Speaking of Lacrosse , this year's team just beat Liberty to advance to the state quarterfinals . Big win as they had lost to them in the regular season by 4 goals, I believe . 11-10 nail biter with Liberty gamely coming back from 5 down , but couldn't get over the hump. Great Job by the Rocks .

Every so often I go to you tube and watch parts of an old football game from say the 70's 80's or 90's and it is always a bit jarring to see just how far advanced the Quarterbacks are now . Completion percentages were often in the 40's back then. Lower TD- INT ratios . Footwork , polish and accuracy was nothing like it is today. Of course, like anything else , it's all about the reps. There weren't 7 on 7's, as many quarterback camps and so called 'guru's and private teachers. Different world . Release points , quickness in the release , weight transfer , you name it , many QB's were lacking in these fundamentals. Accuracy suffered obviously. Kids simply put a lot more time into it now at younger ages. More is available to them. Weight training has evolved. Speed and agility coaches exist now. Receivers can be tutored and learn nuance in High school.

Kids are bigger obviously now as all of us in their 40's 50's and beyond know. But the level of instruction or personal training that is available is so much greater. Kids do develop 'Earlier", but do they 'Peak" earlier? It is a complex dynamic to be sure. Of course, doing some good work , and being taught by good coaches is invaluable. Learning fundamentals is a must for attaining future success.

Getting stronger and a bit bigger is going to help performance obviously. But at what point are kids overtraining ? How many hours should 14–17-year olds be putting in ? How fanatical should they be? How specialized should they become and at what age? Of course, at the college level there is a notion that some Alabama guys 'Peak" and every ounce of ability and potential has bene tapped into and what you see at 22 is kind of what you are going to get at the next level? Happens sometimes . Sometimes not. Some HS kids are training like Ivan Drago.

Pushing themselves { Or being pushed to } beyond the normal limits. I am not trying to say that kids shouldn't put some serious time into their activities . But the early specialization, the quitting of a second sport so they can lift and train for their main sort more manically can be counterproductive IMO. I have seen kids burn out in soccer, quit football to play fall lacrosse , basketball and baseball.

Some Kids are working so hard and for so many hours that they are losing their enthusiasm BEFORE they get to college . Every kid is wired differently of course and have different motivation levels. The earlier skill development , the added resources and coaching improvements and advances is a good thing . Don't misunderstand , but it must be said that there is a tipping point. Having sports become a 'Job" at 15- 16 years old can be counterproductive to success and enthusiasm for that sport down the road. Putting in the work is a good thing . Focused improvement is key to greater success. Life is about getting reps, growing , learning from mistakes and experience and improving. But it must be kept in mind that there has to be some fun involved, some room for added enthusiasm and focus down the road. Having an all-consuming maniacal approach as a younger teen can lead to a lack of passion and enthusiasm later on . The process seems to be rushed now, how early you develop is seen as some kind of goal and victory . It's often misguided. Kids need to be kids at some level. There is a tipping point .

Last edited:
Yes it was , the wife had some ideas of socializing on Sunday outside away from a TV. Saturday night I told her that I would be inside watching golf from roughly 3 to 7 . If Mickelson wasn't in it ? I am not sitting inside from 3 to 7 lol. Too good a story and a potentially historical happening. Also, a fan of Lefty. Good lesson in perseverance for people of all ages. He had a couple years of futility. He was out of the top 20 in many consecutive tourneys. He pressed on with enthusiasm and kept working at it . Remade his body at 50 . Looks in much better shape than he was in his late 30's. Still cranking it long down fairways. More flexible now. Looks great . All the work culminated in his winning a major on an audacious track that was as long as a day living in Reseda .

Phil like many of the greats is a 'Gym rat", a grinder . Guys like Michael Jordan , Larry Bird and in the more modern era Steph Curry are notorious 'gym rats" to name just a few . He purposefully trained by playing practice rounds of 36 holes or more to make 18 seem like a short casual Friday. He controlled his breathing and moved around the course in a measured slowness that conserved every ounce of energy that he may need later. His shot from the shorter rough on the edge of the fairway was that last shot he had to make to ensure a sure two putt to win it . He executed that shot flawlessly and then he and Brooks got a little more familiar with the crowd. Surreal . Had never seen a crowd get that close to a golfer as he walked up that last fairway to the 18th green to win a tourney . Chills.

Also was watching some College lacrosse as the quarterfinals were being played at Notre Dame . Two former Coffman players and leaders from that great 2019 group that won a state title were playing in the games . Both guys teams lost by a goal one in OT dashing the hopes of their teams meeting in the final 4. Evan James was a force for Loyola MD. in their OT loss to Duke and Nick Harris played for Notre Dame in their narrow loss to Maryland. What a great team that was. Speaking of Lacrosse , this year's team just beat Liberty to advance to the state quarterfinals . Big win as they had lost to them in the regular season by 4 goals, I believe . 11-10 nail biter with Liberty gamely coming back from 5 down , but couldn't get over the hump. Great Job by the Rocks .

Every so often I go to you tube and watch parts of an old football game from say the 70's 80's or 90's and it is always a bit jarring to see just how far advanced the Quarterbacks are now . Completion percentages were often in the 40's back then. Lower TD- INT ratios . Footwork , polish and accuracy was nothing like it is today. Of course, like anything else , it's all about the reps. There weren't 7 on 7's, as many quarterback camps and so called 'guru's and private teachers. Different world . Release points , quickness in the release , weight transfer , you name it , many QB's were lacking in these fundamentals. Accuracy suffered obviously. Kids simply put a lot more time into it now at younger ages. More is available to them. Weight training has evolved. Speed and agility coaches exist now. Receivers can be tutored and learn nuance in High school.

Kids are bigger obviously now as all of us in their 40's 50's and beyond know. But the level of instruction or personal training that is available is so much greater. Kids do develop 'Earlier", but do they 'Peak" earlier? It is a complex dynamic to be sure. Of course, doing some good work , and being taught by good coaches is invaluable. Learning fundamentals is a must for attaining future success.

Getting stronger and a bit bigger is going to help performance obviously. But at what point are kids overtraining ? How many hours should 14–17-year olds be putting in ? How fanatical should they be? How specialized should they become and at what age? Of course, at the college level there is a notion that some Alabama guys 'Peak" and every ounce of ability and potential has bene tapped into and what you see at 22 is kind of what you are going to get at the next level? Happens sometimes . Sometimes not. Some HS kids are training like Ivan Drago.

Pushing themselves { Or being pushed to } beyond the normal limits. I am not trying to say that kids shouldn't put some serious time into their activities . But the early specialization, the quitting of a second sport so they can lift and train for their main sort more manically can be counterproductive IMO. I have seen kids burn out in soccer, quit football to play fall lacrosse , basketball and baseball.

Some Kids are working so hard and for so many hours that they are losing their enthusiasm BEFORE they get to college . Every kid is wired differently of course and have different motivation levels. The earlier skill development , the added resources and coaching improvements and advances is a good thing . Don't misunderstand , but it must be said that there is a tipping point. Having sports become a 'Job" at 15- 16 years old can be counterproductive to success and enthusiasm for that sport down the road. Putting in the work is a good thing . Focused improvement is key to greater success. Life is about getting reps, growing , learning from mistakes and experience and improving. But it must be kept in mind that there has to be some fun involved, some room for added enthusiasm and focus down the road. Having an all-consuming maniacal approach as a younger teen can lead to a lack of passion and enthusiasm later on . The process seems to be rushed now, how early you develop is seen as some kind of goal and victory . It's often misguided. Kids need to be kids at some level. There is a tipping point .
you know he talked about two things that have made the difference, his meditation and also getting the inflamation out of his body( like Tom Brady) .... being a old guy , i"m doing some research on that----(DIET, getting rid of sugars) .....

you know he talked about two things that have made the difference, his meditation and also getting the inflamation out of his body( like Tom Brady) .... being a old guy , i"m doing some research on that----(DIET, getting rid of sugars) .....
Good points , I wouldn't think he can win another one , BUT then again he as oppsed to the few others who came 'close" to winning some at advanced ages, his transformation so to speak is more pronounced. Despite a long period of failure he has kept up his focus with the same enthusiasm , culminating in his putting it all together on Sunday . I think he can contend in another one or even two in the next couple years.

Thanks for the props from a few of the guys who went with us , picking a couple spots in the NBA play-offs, with two teams down 1-0 and short favs { - 2} in game two's .Nuggets pummeled the Trailblazers on Monday and the Lakers got the 7point win to even up that series with Phoenix. Laid off the Clippers which feels like a win. 4-1 start to the play-offs . Philadelphia - 8 looks very good as I think they handle the Wizards again , but by a handful of points more. Wizards shot 55 percent from the field and 40 percent on the deep balls and STILL lost by 7 . Think this one is decided by about 12-15 with the Sixers playing better defensively.

Really tempting to play Utah { - 8.5} in a similar spot as the Lakers and Nuggets , BUT Memphis has simply been too good as an underdog in the last 13 games covering 11 of them and winning 8 outright.

Last edited:
Getting closer to the start of the season as the last few months have flown by as the country starts getting more back to normal with a greater level of immunity . Never start the new season's thread too early as in some years I haven't been sure I am going to post enough to have the thread . I know that sounds weird seeing as I post quite a bit in season { Not as much now going as while between posts. } but including this year , I am not sure if I am going to do it again. Enough to justify a year's thread heading . So as we get top the second week of June the season and camp is getting close enough so you can actually see it in the distant horizon and feel it . NFL caps are about 5-6 weeks away . HS kids have enough time to get that last bit of work in { about 6 weeks} and train intensely where they can feel prepared mentally and physically for camp and the rigors of the season.

In the years I've followed Coffman football , this up coming season is without a doubt the biggest rebuild I have seen. This is the most uncertainty heading into a season. In every other year I have had some kind of idea how the team may be . Some years more of an idea than others of course but you could pretty consistently gauge how the team was going to do . Consistency is the first word that came to mind during the Crabtree era. Usually a few D-1 kids, and a program strong enough to have role players every year do their jobs well enough to complement them, Always a better than average QB . Sometimes better than that. This year they have the QB who is better than average . He will be the 4th- Senior 1st year starting QB in the last 6 seasons. They lose their entire starting O-Line for the first time that I can remember [ Has to be pre-date my following} . A couple receivers who played full time come back . First time I can remember that they don't have even ONE definite D-1 player . They have a handful of guys on defense that saw significant snaps including 3 full time starters back { 2 in the front 4} and another one who would have but missed the season. { Injury}

Then of course you have a new coaching staff. A couple of Crabtree's staff will remain to help the transition. Stokes brings his right hand man at Minster with him to coach the defense . Some around town think the team will be better than some others think , and some think it will be a tough year. Stokes is a tremendous leader. The team will be well coached and be tough mentally and physically. It will take time . Stokes is involved in a blog with Centerville basketball coach Brook Cupps { won the state title this year} that I recommend people go to get a bit of a better understanding of who Stokes is and what his beliefs on leadership and team building are. It's next level leadership stuff that is uncommon.

I enjoyed rifling through the posts that go back about a year or so and seeing some of the things that I saw in some of my best coaches growing up and some of the things that I learned and were covered in some of the leadership workshops and seminars I have gone through as an adult over the years . Excited to see this new era with an exceptional leader who is always striving to learn and grow . Doesn't claim to have everything figured out and knows the Process is life long . Success and growth is never linear . It can go sideways sometimes and that doesn't equal failure . It equals a chance to get back up and learn . The name of the blog , is 'blue collar grit " and I will have some thoughts on it shortly.

Getting closer to the start of the season as the last few months have flown by as the country starts getting more back to normal with a greater level of immunity . Never start the new season's thread too early as in some years I haven't been sure I am going to post enough to have the thread . I know that sounds weird seeing as I post quite a bit in season { Not as much now going as while between posts. } but including this year , I am not sure if I am going to do it again. Enough to justify a year's thread heading . So as we get top the second week of June the season and camp is getting close enough so you can actually see it in the distant horizon and feel it . NFL caps are about 5-6 weeks away . HS kids have enough time to get that last bit of work in { about 6 weeks} and train intensely where they can feel prepared mentally and physically for camp and the rigors of the season.

In the years I've followed Coffman football , this up coming season is without a doubt the biggest rebuild I have seen. This is the most uncertainty heading into a season. In every other year I have had some kind of idea how the team may be . Some years more of an idea than others of course but you could pretty consistently gauge how the team was going to do . Consistency is the first word that came to mind during the Crabtree era. Usually a few D-1 kids, and a program strong enough to have role players every year do their jobs well enough to complement them, Always a better than average QB . Sometimes better than that. This year they have the QB who is better than average . He will be the 4th- Senior 1st year starting QB in the last 6 seasons. They lose their entire starting O-Line for the first time that I can remember [ Has to be pre-date my following} . A couple receivers who played full time come back . First time I can remember that they don't have even ONE definite D-1 player . They have a handful of guys on defense that saw significant snaps including 3 full time starters back { 2 in the front 4} and another one who would have but missed the season. { Injury}

Then of course you have a new coaching staff. A couple of Crabtree's staff will remain to help the transition. Stokes brings his right hand man at Minster with him to coach the defense . Some around town think the team will be better than some others think , and some think it will be a tough year. Stokes is a tremendous leader. The team will be well coached and be tough mentally and physically. It will take time . Stokes is involved in a blog with Centerville basketball coach Brook Cupps { won the state title this year} that I recommend people go to get a bit of a better understanding of who Stokes is and what his beliefs on leadership and team building are. It's next level leadership stuff that is uncommon.

I enjoyed rifling through the posts that go back about a year or so and seeing some of the things that I saw in some of my best coaches growing up and some of the things that I learned and were covered in some of the leadership workshops and seminars I have gone through as an adult over the years . Excited to see this new era with an exceptional leader who is always striving to learn and grow . Doesn't claim to have everything figured out and knows the Process is life long . Success and growth is never linear . It can go sideways sometimes and that doesn't equal failure . It equals a chance to get back up and learn . The name of the blog , is 'blue collar grit " and I will have some thoughts on it shortly.
What’s the name of the blog?

I like watching the good college football games from the 90s. In particular I enjoy watching the Nebraska teams from 94/95. They just punished the opposition s as Nd made few mistakes. As great as Tommie Frazier was he could not throw.

Every once in a while, something will just pop into your head that you hadn't thought about for a while. It could just be a person in general , a conversation or an idea. With Coffman not only rebuilding , but having a new coach , a short conversation with a coach I had in 6th grade was remembered. The coach was a former player at the HS in our town and part of the new coach's first two teams. He was telling us that we were lucky to be part of something that was going to be special .

He was telling us this as we were at a game on a Sunday scouting the 7th grade{ B team} opponent of our B team the next week. He was saying that his two years with coach was the transition. Things weren't in place yet. He said that by the time we got up there , the program would be a force. He said that while we had good athletes and good kids, it would be the 'program "that would be the difference. We were learning the basic offense{ Wing T} and defensive schemes that we would eventually use to a degree later.

He was too early to have the program get to the point it would when we got up there. Scouting , running the same system from 5th grade on , better practice habits, a better staff etc. would be the key . He was going to coach HARD . Be interested in building the program by training the players from an earlier age and that the continuity would reap rewards. Hes aid that our teams would be better than the ones he played on and that it would be the 'Program" that would sustain success. You need the players , but the real strength was going to be in the level of the coaching we got and the program would be the key.

I also remembered our defensive coordinator saying out loud{ He would become a HC a couple years later at another school and win 3 state titles and become a legendary hall of fame coach } that he really needed only a couple 'ballplayers " { His term for difference makers or playmakers} on defense, build arou9nd their strengths and the rest of the guys would be mentally and physically tough kids who would always line up right do what they were supposed to do , and he would have a good defense. Throw a bit more talent in and he would have a great defense . He was right . When he got 3 D-1 kids and a couple 1-AA kids on defense one year , no one really scored on us, including a team with 5 D-1 and a couple 1-AA kids with a huge O-Line with every player eventually playing in college. {They got 13 points} .

Attention to detail, always knowing what we were supposed to be doing { Never once felt unprepared or unsure about what i was supposed to be doing before a game from 7th grade on } .

Stokes is building the Coffman program from closer to scratch than can be imagined. It was the end of an era . 20 seasons and 19 of them saw the program win at least 7 games . Very good talent overall . Coaching continuity . The core values that coach Stokes has is the main reason I believe he got the job. I was impressed immediately and said so straight away after a very quick look at what he was about .

I felt it was going to be hard to not give him the job . His leadership skills have been cultivated and sharpened by making intentional choices to learn and work on them. That process never ends . You never have it fully figured out.

As I have said I recognized some of his core values and what he thinks are the keys to strong leadership and team building from personal experience over the years in practice and seminars , workshops etc. A couple of the concepts of the blog I read stuck out were the basic ones. It goes into a pretty deep dive with some more advanced team building dynamics.

Embracing the process. Learning to enjoy it. Purposeful improvement, and taking action to improve. Ownership , taking responsibility , accountability , with coaches taking the ultimate responsibility of guiding and leading and taking responsibility.

Excellence vs success. Success is fleeting and can't be trusted but overall excellence is more enduring . The standard is the standard { We do what we do} 80-20 rule. You get the bulk of the results and success from the key 20 percent you do and practice. So you practice and pay attention to this 20 percent and you will thrive. Control the controllable and keep things simple. Process over results.

Positive body language , picking up teammates , becoming a closer team through sharing vulnerability and being uncomfortable. Real lasting ideals that eventually build that trust in each other that leads to common people achieving uncommon results. Real smart in depth leadership concepts that build strong successful teams . And really give a blueprint to the players for lasting sustainable success as people in whatever they do .

We all remember a few things here and there that a former coach and teacher might have said that has bene helpful . I hope Coach Stokes get to teach his leadership class at Coffman. Be a favorite for sure and beneficial for student's long term. Confidence is about more than previously demonstrated ability , it's more about confidence in the process of getting towards excellence
and getting to the standard. Limited options of behavior and doing what it takes to get there. Embracing the 'It takes what it takes " principle and that process becoming innate. If you've ever gotten to this point as a team member in any capacity, it is really special . I think the Coffman program and school got a tremendous leader in Coach Stokes.

Lastly congrats to the Girls Lacrosse state title winners who beat two team they had previously lost to on their way to ultimate victory. Losing by 12 to UA and 11 to New Albany just a month or so ago and beating both in the tournament was quite the feat and a testament to improvement and sticking to it without losing confidence . beating 4 time defending champ UA in the regional final and then after edging Loveland in the Semi , beat a excellent NA team at the buzzer after being up most of the game , only to see NA score two in the closing minutes to tie it , the Lady Rocks went about 60 yards downfield in 6 seconds and set up a shot right before the buzzer to win their first state title over a team that handled them just a month before. Great stuff.

Also a shout out to the girls 4 by 800 relay team that got second at the state meet edging third place finishing Hilliard Davidson who had beaten them out at Regionals but a couple seconds. Rocks steadily improved their times by a large margin the last couple weeks . Another example of finishing strong and showing great improvement without losing confidence. Sticking with the process and finishing strong .

Harry - I think you may have exaggerated a bit when you said "Stokes is building the Coffman program from closer to scratch than can be imagined."

Building a program from scratch would be taking over a Westland, Franklin Heights, Thomas Worthington…….you know the schools. Dublin does not have any Section 8 housing, trailer parks, probably less than 5% of the kids on the free lunch program - there is not economic problems to deal with. Yes, good people unfortunately fall into these situations and great kids/people rise out of them but it’s difficult to win football games if a large percentage of your players are living in these conditions. I believe Dublin has a few more people (administration, parents, community 'leaders') who will believe they know more about the football team than the coach but every community has a few of these people - some schools more than others. I think this will be Stoke’s greatest obstacle.

Harry - I think you may have exaggerated a bit when you said "Stokes is building the Coffman program from closer to scratch than can be imagined."

Building a program from scratch would be taking over a Westland, Franklin Heights, Thomas Worthington…….you know the schools. Dublin does not have any Section 8 housing, trailer parks, probably less than 5% of the kids on the free lunch program - there is not economic problems to deal with. Yes, good people unfortunately fall into these situations and great kids/people rise out of them but it’s difficult to win football games if a large percentage of your players are living in these conditions. I believe Dublin has a few more people (administration, parents, community 'leaders') who will believe they know more about the football team than the coach but every community has a few of these people - some schools more than others. I think this will be Stoke’s greatest obstacle.
I meant to say than you MIGHT imagine. He is building it in HIS image and this is a new era and in his first year there is less experience . I said that because there is a stark difference in the coaching style and the talent level at this moment . Of course he isn't rebuilding a long time losing program that is in a poor community { Less than affluent communities with below average academic performance CAN AND DO win big. You know some of the schools that I am talking about. He got Minster to a different level than they had been in a few years before he got there He didn't really struggle until this year when the talent dipped there. Have talked for the last couple years of how programs runs usually don't extend beyond a certain point . Minster has no economic hardships either. Affluent suburbs have runs and have to rebuild a bit eventually . Happens all the time . Well off communities often struggle for long periods of time in football . Or they go on runs and then fall off . Not sure how many people tell the coach what to do and think they know more than he does. I don't see that being much of a problem to be honest. If it was such a mess at Coffman as some trolls suggest , you don't win consistently for 20 years . This IS A NEW ERA. This IS A REBUILDING YEAR . This could be a 2-3 year rebuild .

As Coffman embarks on a new 'era" , with a new coach and staff , and a clear rebuilding task in front of the program no matter who the coach was going to be , doing a dive into the new coach and his philosophy has been interesting to me. I have always been very interested from a young age when I was going to the local HS games in various sports and then as I got older seeing our coaches up close as to how teams were built . Programs built . I saw up close how the football program was basically built with a new coach coming in when I was a third grader , and how he eventually ran it from 7th grade on with a system and a plan.

Coach showed up at the youth football awards night. He periodically came to the practice fields of the youth program and looked on . He talked with coaches. We ran the same basic offense as the varsity. The coaching level was elevated sometimes with sometimes college kids who played for him working as assistants. By the time you got up to the HS as a 10th grader you knew what to expect and you knew the system. Some programs don't require the Middle schools or younger to run their systems.

I really believe that the involvement from the HC at the HS facilitating the relationships with the younger teams within the system and the support he gives and receives = higher player turnout and a desire for more kids to want to be part of something BIGGER than they are .

Times change , and the one town one program may be ideal for this type of program building effort , but it can be done in this situation. We grew up wanting to be part of that. We got excited seeing the Varsity coach around town and at some of your games and at the practice field. The varsity captains were at our awards nights . They came to the middle school to speak to us about 'entering" the 'Program". Actually, encouraged the kids who may not be the best athletes to hang in there and keep playing 'Up at HS. More kids = better depth. We grew up idolizing the older kids in all of the sports , but most especially for many, the Football players.

Obviously, it was easier for coach Stokes to foster this 'Community " feel at a school and town the size of Minster. A bit harder here . I mean one of the MS is split between Jerome and Coffman . There is some redistricting where my neighborhood kids always went to the Coffman only feeder Sells MS but will now go to the Jerome only feeder Grizell.{ They will still be Rocks I believe at the HS level but prep for HS with Jerome kids there as well } Of course once you get to 9th grade that's it .

I really think there is a good chance that participation will eventually rise a bit with coach Stokes . I believe he will put a lot of effort at facilitating the relationships around the district to eventually get that special feeling around the program. Stokes is a new school leader . He is 36-37 years old with some solid experience under his belt running a program. As I have seen in business over the years the ' Stokes leadership style is a bit more complex and stepped in inclusion and vulnerability. That's not as it sounds , in other words not a bad thing. Authenticity is a crucial aspect of leading a group. Honest vulnerability and being relatable { Being real} is becoming more popular and proven to be a successful model.

No one has all the answers and is always right .Being honest with your team builds trust and encourages the rest of the team and coaches to be honest and share which brings more closeness and trust. I am really excited for the kids and the program going forward even in this large rebuild phase and new "Era" with the newer age leadership concepts being employed. It will take time , but the benefits for the kids not only playing for the football program but for their whole lives will be great. I have learned many of these concepts at various times over the years and will share periodically as we get near the season. Have seen it up close and how successful it can be. The kids willlearn a lot about themselves and each other and if incorporated well will help them be successful adults.

It takes a certain courage and confidence to open yourself up and let the team see who you really are as a leader. The great thing, is this will translate to the TEAM having that confidence to be real , and be able to be honest and have uncomfortable e conversations that promotes growth , trust and eventually better results and hopefully excellence .

QB-1 Mason Maggs having a really nice Spring /Summer and getting some attention and offers at the lower levels and I believe the way he is making strides and working really hard could get some more attention at a higher level . Doing well at camps and working to improve his skills.

Last edited:
I think Coffman will be good. I watched practice this week. It was a different era. I was standing with an administrator and he was pretty clear that stokes was beginning to instill accountability and discipline that has not been seen. I expect the rock to win games. And can’t wait

I think Coffman will be good. I watched practice this week. It was a different era. I was standing with an administrator and he was pretty clear that stokes was beginning to instill accountability and discipline that has not been seen. I expect the rock to win games. And can’t wait
I’m excited too . But rewriting the history of 20 years of success is pathetic . But that’s who you are .

Yes indeed. Awesome display of resilience over the weekend by Jon Rahm who has handled his removal from the Memorial about as well and with as much class as anyone could have. He didn't whine , unlike many casual observers with an agenda. Didn't blame anyone else. Took responsibility , held himself accountable and moved on. Moved on to winning the freaking US Open. Great to see. Really happy for him.

You get that football is around the corner feel when the Phil Steele college football preview is available. Always must read and resource for anyone who wants to be informed and of course handicap the action. Future win totals are being worked on as the transfer portal minutia is gone over. It's a new day in CFB. Talk of the expanded play-off next year, the TP and after a year of COVID? Normalcy .

Crowds, no restrictions. Of course, the Virus is not dead. Especially in areas where the vaccination rates are lower. But overall things are looking good. The expanded CFB play-offs will be a nice change for CFB that has really become over time to be extremely top heavy. An un healthy majority of the top 100 - 150 HS players are basically going to a handful of programs. The four-team play-off contains the same 4-6 programs.

Now the expanded play-offs will not change this per se. The thing that it will do is make the regular season more interesting IMO because teams will schedule tougher games and not be as fearful of not having a shot at that final four. There will be less urgency perhaps but the potential juicy match-ups will be more plentiful. Scheduling should become less protective and shrewd.

Big year for High school players in terms of overall development. Just a difficult situation last year for everyone. Grateful what there was for the kids and getting a season in , but it does feel so much better this year of course. It is tougher to get a bead on some teams after the COVID season. There are more questions than usual. A changing of the guard appears on the horizon in some conferences. Hilliard Davidson has been slipping a bit the last 5 years , and it culminated in a really tough season for them last year. By their standards especially . End of an era over there for sure .

Brian White steps down and they hire a guy who is a program guy but who had jumped on Fishinger and crossed the river to UA for a season . White hasn't forgiven him or the program for hiring him back after that display of disloyalty . They are kind of caught halfway from the past and a step towards the future? Coffman Crabtree era is officially done and an exclamation point has been added. When Coach Stokes was hired over Coach Crager things were purported to get very awkward if not hostile on Coffman road. Understandably so perhaps. Well the coach who was going to be a Coffman parent the next year{ His words } and just watch his son play Frosh football at Coffman ? The son was then rumored to be going to DeSales { Two sources told me this} . OK. Loyalty was not shown and that's that. Fast forward a couple months later and the ex 20-year coach at Coffman who built a really nice successful consistent program goes back home. Full circle .

Not as the HC . But as a possible offensive contributor of some kind? Crager? A LB coach perhaps ? Both demotions of course but one was retired supposedly and one was passed over for HC jobs this past spring but is surely going to get one at some point IMO. Passed over coach now coaching the retired long time HC 's son at another school . Interesting . 20 years , three kids going through Coffman{ coached two sons} a 4th and final one poised to and play for the right-hand man? Wasn't to be . Coffman got a tremendous young leader who had a lot of success at the D-6 -7 level elevating a program playing in the toughest small school league in the state. Dynamic. New school concepts, with old school touches?

The more authoritarian way of leading can and has worked for some teams and organizations , but the growth and new way of thinking is taking hold . Stokes has won a couple state titles. Winning one at the D-1 or D-2 level is a different animal . He will be an exceptional leader and a positive force in the building and in the kids' lives no matter the record IMO. His collogue and friend Coach Cupps with his Blue-Collar Grit blog and leadership resource just won a D-1 hoops title with Centerville. This leadership style works. Gets results. And very importantly is very impactful in the kids' lives long term.

Junior DL Will Smith could have a breakout year this fall. He has the tools to become a D-1 player { 6-3 250 . Gets off the ball well , uses his hands . Really improved over the year last year and I believe will make a big jump this year. Senior DL Buckley is another full time starter coming back and could give Coffman a good building block in having a solid defense. A few others who played behind D-1 studs and one who was injured also return and a few saw some action and gained a bit of experience . Broskie is a playmaking LB who started last year.

Been a longer time coming than I expected as I though the tipping point with the outrageous money that people were making from big time college sports had arrived 6-7 years ago . Been calling for this type of concession since 2013-2014 . How is it that in any 'Business" and this is a business the supervisors , the administration , the Presidents and vice presidents of the corporations get such a large slice of the pie? Don't get me wrong, the scholly is huge , especially in this age of exorbitant college costs. Leaving debt free is a big deal for people as they get started in whatever they are going to do after college.

But they were paid like it was a 'paid "internship , but of course they were much more important to the businesses bottom line than any intern. The NCAA execs , the coaches and college administrators were paid as if they founded the corporation. it was their business and they operated it in a way that would pay the 'Help" as little as possible under the guise of an outdated 'Amateur " model. They hid behind the 'Definition "of what the business model was. Coaches didn't start this business . It isn't theirs. They took no risks to start it. They are important of course. But is it their business? If they left does the business just go down the tubes and suffer greatly because it's 'theirs"?

The AAU " ation" if you will of sports is something I have opined about over the last decade or so. The NBA joining forces era , the College football generation of the top 3-5 programs dominating recruiting and getting a large percentage of the top 5 percent of the players . This has trickled down to the HS level where many of these elite private and even large publics becoming AAU like with large numbers of transfers dotting the rosters as the mega powers travel longer distances to play each other and who have the same model. Kids coming from long distances in many cases to play at one of this elite programs. Here in Ohio, it's small potatoes .

Some top programs that kid's want to play for get a Kid or two to come in after Frosh year , may be a rising Junior ? Some years none at all . California Texas and Florida programs to name just a few often get a handful each year of a few rising Juniors and even Seniors to 'Join forces and try to grab a ring. Lax rules , different cultures , and this train has run off the tracks in some states. Mega sized HS's in Texas with 4 to 5 thousand students getting a few high prized transfers makes it almost unfair. Heard a podcast from the Mission Viejo{ Ca.} coach Chad Johnson who used to coach at AAU like St.John Bosco in Bellflower which was featured a couple years ago in the Netflix show QB-1 that in order to compete with the SJB and the Mater De's they were going to have 'Attract and get more transfers in order to compete at that next level. They are open about it . It is what it is .

Speaking of AAU , I was saying to some of the NBA guys { 21-13 with a 6-2 Larger BB record in the play-offs} that the Nets were the quintessential AAU type NBA team. Miami with LeBron and Bosh going down there and joining Wade was AAU like as well of course. { Celtics actually were a bit ahead with Garnett and Allen joining Paul Pierce and winning a title} Nets of course couldn't stay healthy and they were never really al that 'together" as a team. The NBA as a rule has always been about the teams growing together over some time , going through some stuff, some failure, and fighting through it , Eventually they persevere and win it all . You grow as you go through hardship . Fight the wars together. Learn from failure and overcoming obstacles. Nets were seen as too talented to fail. But they weren't able to overcome the setbacks they endured. This could be a rare year of a title not being won by a collection of stars and a team put together in shorter fashion. Clippers without their star this year were put together to win it all last year may be beaten by Phoenix a team more traditionally put together . Milwaukee isn't a team rife with stars who 'Joined" forces. Atlanta is a non-traditional power {2 conference finals appearances in 50 years.

Futures OVERS New England and Cleveland{both 10-win teams which is enough to cash } and looking for a few more { A couple Unders are close to being in play in particular} CFB futures will be a bit later with the transfer portal dynamic being in play for the first time to this degree.

One of the things that I have mentioned about a key aspect of leadership that coach Stokes is a big proponent if is fostering a feeling that every member of the team feels like they are a part of the process. A valuable member of the team. Plays an important role whether they are QB-1 , the head coach or a back-up Right tackle, a scout team player , or an inexperienced Assitan Freshman coach.

Creating this type of culture is instrumental in as many of the team members trusting and embracing the 'Process". To working as one to reaching a certain standard that is in concert with the program values that will eventually lead to true excellence. A program that really doesn't care who gets the credit, doesn't care who comes up with solutions and ideas , and has a culture that promotes and recognizes EVERYONE'S efforts to trying to reach excellence . Ego's and selfishness will not be tolerated or get in the way of progress. No one is bigger than the team. Shared ownership throughout the organization. Kids want to be coached hard. Be held accountable . Be part of something bigger. This part of belonging can go down to the MS levels. Kids growing up in the district should look at the older kids and want to someday be a part of that. Lofty goal in this day and age .

The best company's organizations , and team's leadership wants to be around smart motivated people . Their egos don't control them . They don't have to the one to have all the answers. Always be the top dog. This type of attitude trickles down to the better players on the team who won't feel like they have to be the star at all times . Think they always have to have a large role. A starring role.

It isn't all about them. Being of service to your teammates and the company is embraced readily. The best teams root for each other and want their teammates to be the best they can be and celebrate each others success.

What makes team sports so great is that there is no better feeling than working towards a goal with your brothers that you have sacrificed with, failed with , bled with , may be cried with , but ultimately sharing a level of excellence that will stay with you long after you stop playing and will help you throughout your life . Corny ? May be , but a lot of the best and most enduring things are sometimes.

Learning the lessons of embracing the process, being a good teammate { selfless encouraging, helpful } embracing your role no matter what it is , and ultimately achieving excellence as a group is something that you will be able to draw on for life.

I really think Coffman made a great hire. Like you mentioned Harry ,this year will be somewhat of a struggle considering all they lost but in the years ahead, I fully expect bigger results for this guy vs Crabtree who did a great job and was very solid. As far as Davidson goes, and I am usually patient on new hires but I just don't think a players coach is the right direction for that program. The talent level at HD just isn't there to run any other system than what they do. They need to get every ounce of effort and toughness that they can. If they tried to go to a conventional offense, they are just a tick ahead of Grove City and maybe Central Crossing. I saw some things last season like players avoiding contact alot on defense and special teams that I had not seen hardly at all during White's tenure. The QB was in the shotgun the first few games IIRC and then they want back to the typical Davidson offense the rest of the year with mixed results. What was that all about ? No doubt HD was down last year on talent and had been sliding since really 2013 but the toughness in general was still there until last season. I think the Scally tenure at Davidson could very well be a short one. In a way, it's kind of out of his control. He can clone White's system and run it all the time but he isn't White tyhe motivator. I saw that on the field last year. If he changes the offense to a conventional spread, the talent level isn't good enough to win more than a few games a year especially with that defense I saw last year. I just do not see a path for success going forward. Just my honest opinion and hope I'm wrong.

I really think Coffman made a great hire. Like you mentioned Harry ,this year will be somewhat of a struggle considering all they lost but in the years ahead, I fully expect bigger results for this guy vs Crabtree who did a great job and was very solid. As far as Davidson goes, and I am usually patient on new hires but I just don't think a players coach is the right direction for that program. The talent level at HD just isn't there to run any other system than what they do. They need to get every ounce of effort and toughness that they can. If they tried to go to a conventional offense, they are just a tick ahead of Grove City and maybe Central Crossing. I saw some things last season like players avoiding contact alot on defense and special teams that I had not seen hardly at all during White's tenure. The QB was in the shotgun the first few games IIRC and then they want back to the typical Davidson offense the rest of the year with mixed results. What was that all about ? No doubt HD was down last year on talent and had been sliding since really 2013 but the toughness in general was still there until last season. I think the Scally tenure at Davidson could very well be a short one. In a way, it's kind of out of his control. He can clone White's system and run it all the time but he isn't White tyhe motivator. I saw that on the field last year. If he changes the offense to a conventional spread, the talent level isn't good enough to win more than a few games a year especially with that defense I saw last year. I just do not see a path for success going forward. Just my honest opinion and hope I'm wrong.
Agree with you . They do have two excellent SR running backs (. Weir and Nixon ) and the O- line will probably be better . I don’t think they will ever run that same exact run only triple option offense again . Could be wrong , but I don’t see it . Last year was the only time I remember seeing that lack of physicality on defense . As I said after Coffman’s blowout win scoring almost 50 the almost avoiding the physical confrontations was a first . They have had clubs with limited physical ability and some size issues but they competed their butts off . Didn’t see that last year .
Funny my daughter was hone from college and went to the game with us and even she said “. What happened to Davidson ?? We kind of saw it coming but they really struggled at times . They will compete better this year and they played may be their best game va. Pick North in the playoffs . Era’s can end and take time to rebuild . Coffman has what I think is an exceptional leader to do this .

Win or lose the kids will benefit from his leadership . I think Scally is a good football coach and definitely has a different style than White obviously. You have to be who you are though . Who he is may not be what they need at this point . I say rip the band aid off and go with a newer staff . I think you can develop talent to a degree . I think a little balance may be what they need .

Last edited:
Scally did a great job at UA. White left for a reason. Don't think the results would have been different with him at the helm. Give Scally some time... That league is a grinder. Good programs and coaches every week.

Scally did a great job at UA. White left for a reason. Don't think the results would have been different with him at the helm. Give Scally some time... That league is a grinder. Good programs and coaches every week.
I think he is a good football coach. I do think he is under a huge shadow at Davidson and he may be unsure how to proceed . UA was different. Be himself and not be as rigid and exacting as White but of course he didnt have the personnel to win ina very competitive league . The schedule is really light the first 5 weeks . I know they won a title 13 years ago , times have changed a bit since them , but I would say that I haven't seen a program that has won two state titles withn a 15 year period have a schedule this less arduous in the non conference portion of the season.

I know some teams still use the triple option [CFB and HS } but it seems like it is very antiquated at this point. Wood racket in tennis ? Rotary phone ? If you don't run 98 percent of the time, it doesn't mean you have to justy start throwing it around 40 times a game . White is gone . Embrace a different way . His way was his way . It worked. The new guy is not him . It's OK to evolve a little. You can develop skill kids to be efficient and effective. You don't need jaguars all over the field . Balance . You have a guy like Weir who can be a good receiver and running back . White and Crabtree left at the time they felt a tide was turning. Didn't want a rebuild in a program THEY BUILT . Crabtree I figured was going to go into his early 60's and get out after his youngest graduated. I was wrong . He didn't want to do it anymore after losing all that talent which he couldn't win enough close games with . He said he was going to be just another Coffman parent and watch his son . His right hand didn't get the job . Son ? DeSales? Coffman wasn't a program that was now suitable for his son . DeSales it is . He followed , and so did his right hand .

Good luck to all of them . Kind of neat to go 'Back home" again . Even as an assistant offensive contributor and the bonus of your right hand getting a job and may be coaching your LB son ? Crager going to be OK with job coaching LB's ? Of course some will argue that Crabtree was forced out because of changing times and players and some weren't comfortable with the changes. 1997 isn't coming back , those Demo's and sensibilities are long gone . Some hate this fact. Suks for them I suppose. Coach Crabtree issued a supportive message last summer during the protests after George Floyd's killing. I remember someone opining that it was done for a selfish reason . That guy is a racist .He knows who he is .

So…what’s the prediction for the season record for Coffman?
Really tough prediction . Lost 18 starters 5 D-1 guys , new coach , biggest rebuild in over 20 years . New era . Haven’t had a losing season ( or a 500 season ONE 6-4 ) )!in 21 years ( 4-6 ). Have averaged 8 wins in the regular season over that time . 500 season ? Hopefully not a losing one ?

Coffman will be just fine. This coaching staff is LOVING the fact that everyone is kicking dirt on them. Players/parents who are leaving this program and this coaching staff are making a big mistake. The road to greatness requires one to get pushed to an uncomfortable spot in order to reach new heights. Some are fleeing that uncomfortable spot while others are running headfirst into it.

Coffman will be just fine. This coaching staff is LOVING the fact that everyone is kicking dirt on them. Players/parents who are leaving this program and this coaching staff are making a big mistake. The road to greatness requires one to get pushed to an uncomfortable spot in order to reach new heights. Some are fleeing that uncomfortable spot while others are running headfirst into it.
Well said . While I respect the job that Coach Crabtree and his staff have done in their long tenure and the consistency of success and the influence and benefits to the kids . I am excited for the program and the kids who are now part of a new " Era " under Coach Stokes. I wish the DeSales departee's well going forward , as well as the other coaches and or players wherever they have gone{ West down Brand road? } .

Last edited:
Well said . While I respect the job that Coach Crabtree and his staff have done in their long tenure and the consistency of success and the influence and benefits to the kids . I am excited for the program and the kids who are now part of a new " Era " under Coach Stokes. I wish the DeSales departee's well going forward , as well as the other coaches and or players wherever they have gone{ West down Brand road? } .
so what's going on, is there players leaving the program?

so what kind of DIRT is being kicked on them? whats going on?

Nothing” happened” It’s just been the normal thing of a few kids not returning to the program for various reasons. This happens when coaching staffs turn over.

What he is referring to is the general rough transition after the right hand man didn’t get the job . Things got a bit ugly in the building . Some acted in let’s say an unbecoming way . HC who stepped down’s kid suddenly is heading to DeSales . They let some.time pass and voila the two top Coffman coaches are over there as well . Then it appears some ex Rocks coaches will be coaching with a Coffman rival . General ugliness and some involved let’s say have seen “. Classier “. Days .

so what kind of DIRT is being kicked on them? whats going on?
He means that the expectation and perception is that the program will be down . Most starters lost in 20 years . 20 year regime is ended. New coach . Big transition without nearly as much individual talent .( dirt being kicked over the grave of the program ) End of an era written all over it . This usually means the same longer term success will end . It’s over . It remains to be seen of course and Stokes is an exceptional coach and leader .

Critics of the old regime may point out that in the last decade that when playoff games kind of hung in the balance in the second half and could have gone either way the Rocks lost all of them . Some bad luck and circumstance but each time this occurred the team lost . Let’s just say culminating with the coaching changes , handling endings in the recent past has not been a strong suit for the program and it’s people .

Last edited: