Dublin Coffman 2022

Scrimmage went about as expected . Defense is sturdier and stronger but still has issues containing the run outside . Offense is a work in progress and doesn’t have a reliable passing attack . and should be ok when facing other opponents . Anderson ran well , not a lot of room vs. The Ones , but gashed the twos in the third quarter . 3rd quarter was 10 minutes and I left at the end when the Rocks scored at the end the quartet on a nice quick out route throw on 4th and goal . 4th quarter was slated for 8 minutes . I was heading home at that point .

Sloppiness that is expected in a scrimmage from both offenses in the first half especially with PC having the only extended drive which resulted in a TD . Rocks defense looked good at times . Got a sack and a few pressures . And again was stronger on inside runs . Outside run defense needs some work . When PC needed sure yardage they just tossed Tio the back outside and there was a ton of room to turn the corner . A few too
many holding calls on both teams and some personal fouls were called that weren’t especially bad . Ticky Tack . ( grab of a jersey out of bounds , hit after a dropped pass etc ).

PC QB had a nice slide away from pressure and pass that resulted in a nice gain . PC gave their 1st O a series in the third quarter (that resulted in a score but played their twos on defense and it showed .

Rocks long snapper needs more consistency . Receivers have some potential but the QBs need to be a bit more accurate . Not a bad scrimmage considering who they played . Sledding gets a bit easier next week .
Don’t overlook St. John’s Jesuit. QB is a nice player for SJJ

How are the St. John’s Jesuit WR's ?

Coffman has two new starters who have played very little defense in their high school career starting in the secondary, and two guys who are active in going for the ball and tackles but give up huge huge plays that played last year. One guy gave up a TD in cover1 in 6 straight weeks last year.

No one should be overlooked . The SJ QB is better than they saw last night . That kid is elusive and can hurt them outside as they have been hurt since last year and last night . Have to try to fix the perimeter run problem . it’s a flaw and could prove fatal in some games .
They are stronger up front and more aggressive and mature at LB . Will Smith is a stud . But if they give up the edge easily ? It doesn’t matter if the opponent has some speed and athletes .

O line gave the QB some time on a few occasions but receivers weren’t open and or balls were thrown inaccurately . One under-thrown rainbow should have been picked but was dropped . ( a couple were well over-thrown). There was the pick six and a couple others where Pick got their hands on the ball . Rocks DB made a real nice play on the ball in the end zone on a deep corner shot .

How did the JV go 8 minute 4th go ?

Last edited:

Coffman has two new starters who have played very little defense in their high school career starting in the secondary, and two guys who are active in going for the ball and tackles but give up huge huge plays that played last year. One guy gave up a TD in cover1 in 6 straight weeks last year.
Giving up big plays was a huge problem last year . Went a long way towards giving up 35 a game . At first glance last night a few of these guys as expected look more like varsity players than they did last year. Some needed a year of JV but that’s where things are right now . Look better physically as they should with a year of growth . PC is often not that dynamic offensively from a scheme standpoint to their followers frustration . Pretty sloppy last night but Coffman was aggressive and better than they were last year .

Thete is no substitute for speed and quickness and PC simply ran past and around them at times . Some of their opponents won’t have the athletes and size that the Pickeringtons of the world have .

Week one is huge to build momentum as they hit the road the next few weeks . TSJ doesn’t have great skill guys overall but it’s a close matchup . They have a solid 1-AA QB . Have to take care of business because I don’t believe they are better than either Centerville or CM . Those teams are better athletically than the Rocks . Have to have a win next week

Giving up big plays was a huge problem last year . Went a long way towards giving up 35 a game . At first glance last night a few of these guys as expected look more like varsity players than they did last year. Some needed a year of JV but that’s where things are right now . Look better physically as they should with a year of growth . PC is often not that dynamic offensively from a scheme standpoint to their followers frustration . Pretty sloppy last night but Coffman was aggressive and better than they were last year .

Thete is no substitute for speed and quickness and PC simply ran past and around them at times . Some of their opponents won’t have the athletes and size that the Pickeringtons of the world have .

Week one is huge to build momentum as they hit the road the next few weeks . TSJ doesn’t have great skill guys overall but it’s a close matchup . They have a solid 1-AA QB . Have to take care of business because I don’t believe they are better than either Centerville or CM . Those teams are better athletically than the Rocks . Have to have a win next week
Centerville has a very stout defense.

This years and last sr. class is down across the board at all of the Olentangys. Plus the demographics of the district are shifting even more towards kids who don’t play football. 9/10 grade classes are solid across the district.

Down years in that district shouldn’t result in multiple losing seasons (never 1-9, 2-8) in my opinion .. 6-4, 7-3 yes, numbers are still much higher than most other schools in central Ohio. I think Orange and Liberty are two of the biggest D1’s in central Ohio so talent/numbers shouldn’t be a huge issue. Not saying 9-1, 10-0 is a expectation but 5-5 or better isn’t asking much. Curious how original Olentangy did vs UA.

Not trying to get off topic, from the sounds of it Coffman was pretty competitive against one of the states best. This is a good sign and I stand by 7-3 maybe 6-4 prediction.

Interesting match-up yesterday. PC played very conservatively on offense (as usual), but they do seem to have weapons. It'll be interesting to see how they progress over the season. Coffman's D front seven looked pretty impressive. Tigers have some serious work to do at the left tackle position. Lots of holding... PC does not seem to have a 'super star' player this year, but I like the overall talent level. I thought it was "interesting" that PC played in practice jerseys w/ numbers that didn't match what the returnees wore last season so I have no idea who was doing what (except for the QB and Biles). (Note: PC's secondary will be impressive!) I guess that's one way to keep Olentangy Liberty in the dark...

I’m not sure what they all return, but QB can extend plays and has pretty strong arm in my opinion. His older brother is a Sophomore QB at UC.

Down years in that district shouldn’t result in multiple losing seasons (never 1-9, 2-8) in my opinion .. 6-4, 7-3 yes, numbers are still much higher than most other schools in central Ohio. I think Orange and Liberty are two of the biggest D1’s in central Ohio so talent/numbers shouldn’t be a huge issue. Not saying 9-1, 10-0 is a expectation but 5-5 or better isn’t asking much. Curious how original Olentangy did vs UA.

Not trying to get off topic, from the sounds of it Coffman was pretty competitive against one of the states best. This is a good sign and I stand by 7-3 maybe 6-4 prediction.
True they should never be that bad. Orange and Liberty are actually stagnant or going down in enrollment. Orange is completely landlocked and has very little area to build. Berlin and Tangy are going to be as big or bigger enrollment wise very soon unless their is some redistricting. Orange, Olentangy and Liberty had a great run of really good players from 2013-2019…talent for some reason has dropped off. Freshmen and sophomore classes are much better talent wise. I know Berlin has almost 70 freshmen out this year.

True they should never be that bad. Orange and Liberty are actually stagnant or going down in enrollment. Orange is completely landlocked and has very little area to build. Berlin and Tangy are going to be as big or bigger enrollment wise very soon unless their is some redistricting. Orange, Olentangy and Liberty had a great run of really good players from 2013-2019…talent for some reason has dropped off. Freshmen and sophomore classes are much better talent wise. I know Berlin has almost 70 freshmen out this year.
While Orange is in fact landlocked, there are nearby subdivisions that actually go to Olentangy so when the area around Olentangy gets develop those areas will probably go back to Orange. Neither schools enrollments are going down or even stagnant its just that for the time being until both Berlin and OHS enrollments catch up, those schools will be getting students from the other two schools areas. Both Berlin and OHS will be D1 this year. Olentangy school district is the fastest growing district in Ohio.

We were having a discussion about this in the Lancaster thread until those crybabies said they didn't want to hear about the opponents they are playing this year and only want rah-rah stuff posted about their (mediocre) team.

The dilution caused by the 4th school is permanent. There becomes a saturation point where additional numbers don't guarantee additional talented football players (especially since so many of them are kids of nerds who work at or in support of the Chase complex). Getting 500 new kids doesn't guarantee X number of good football players, if that were the case schools like Mason and Mentor would make the final 4 every year.

Liberty enjoyed a multi-year reprieve on the dilution effect when a large number of kids who should have been redistricted the first year petitioned to stay at Liberty and were granted that right. Those grandfather cases are over though, and having to split the football talent 4 ways hurts, and will hurt into the future. The good thing is, there are at least 2 really good coaches here (hearing good things about Coach Bart at Tangy as well, but will reserve judgement until we see some action) and the kids they do have will be coached up well. And then there's Orange.....
I will agree with you on the large nerd subculture within the district but that seems to have always been the case. If you follow any of the middle schools, the previous two or three years atleast those schools tend to do real well against the non Olentangy schools and often in blow out fashion with essentially the same type of players that have come through the Highschools the previous years.

Last edited:
We were having a discussion about this in the Lancaster thread until those crybabies said they didn't want to hear about the opponents they are playing this year and only want rah-rah stuff posted about their (mediocre) team.

The dilution caused by the 4th school is permanent. There becomes a saturation point where additional numbers don't guarantee additional talented football players (especially since so many of them are kids of nerds who work at or in support of the Chase complex). Getting 500 new kids doesn't guarantee X number of good football players, if that were the case schools like Mason and Mentor would make the final 4 every year.

Liberty enjoyed a multi-year reprieve on the dilution effect when a large number of kids who should have been redistricted the first year petitioned to stay at Liberty and were granted that right. Those grandfather cases are over though, and having to split the football talent 4 ways hurts, and will hurt into the future. The good thing is, there are at least 2 really good coaches here (hearing good things about Coach Bart at Tangy as well, but will reserve judgement until we see some action) and the kids they do have will be coached up well. And then there's Orange.....
Lol….crybaby? Just because the number of schools in the Olentangy School district doesn’t have anything to do with Lancaster football and I could care less about it.
Glad you’ve resorted to name calling.

I think Dublin ( especially Jerome and Coffman ) is in touch with that “. Nerd Subculture “. You speak of . ( check demo’s)
Yeah when I think of Jerome and to a extent Coffman its fairly similar demographics with the Olentangys in that despite the large amount of students who probably aren't into football, there is enough who are and even though they may not have the athletes of other districts what they bring to the table are kids with a high football IQ along with good coaching, even at Orange. Orange by the way may have went 1 and 9 last year but could've easily went 7 and 3 with all the games they lost in the 4th quarter.

Any update on the scrimmage? Made it out to Sunbury to watch Big Walnut and Big Walnut is on a completely different level than Berlin. Looks like it could be another long year in the Olentangy schools, besides maybe the original with their new coach.
Lol….crybaby? Just because the number of schools in the Olentangy School district doesn’t have anything to do with Lancaster football and I could care less about it.
Glad you’ve resorted to name calling.
How did the scrimmage go tonight? Interested because our opening game is against Liberty.

Liberty won 35-13....it was a little closer than score indicates.....Liberty is in rebuild mode though....several sophomores who will be starting...open up up w/ PC, St. X, Glenville and New Albany....
Liberty will be young and you should have a nice night next week . They will be well coached on defense though they lost DC Miley to Westy C . They added two WC coaches though . Still a really good staff . The PC offense was MEH vs. Coffman but you have enough quickness and speed to score on them and Liberty isn’t as strong up front . Coffman probably has a better front seven than OL as weird as that sounds after last year . Rocks have work to do offensively but defense competes well and have some guys up front that are Seniors and they compete well led by Smith who looks great as expected . Outside containment still a problem not to be a broken record but it’s that glaring going back to last year

Last edited:
Yes it is game week. I think starting the season on August 19th is too early. We finally got some cooler weather the past few days and this week isn't going to be scorching but it's projected to be a bit warmer Friday [85 for a high and Sunny} . 7.00 pm. starts with the sun out and the first few weeks can be uncomfortable for players and fans. Better than being cold for some but it stays pretty warm through October it seems now. I always laugh when national commentators talk about the 'cold weather" Big -10. I mean usually there may be a couple weeks of potentially blustery weather and the majority of games are played in very comfortable conditions. Except for really early games which are sometimes really hot.

The Rocks appear to be stronger and more sturdy on defense. Front three is better than last year for sure. LB's are a year better as well. They play with passion and the big thing for them is they are intentionally playing for each other. All good things that will show up on the field. This being said the individual talent level and speed is pretty average overall. Not a surprise of course as we saw this coming for a few years now. Fans and parents taking this type of statement personally doesn't make sense to me. But some will.

In that article that was very good, a player talks about wanting to be a team that doesn't win just on 'talent" as if that's all that happened or went into it previously. It wasn't. There were scores of kids over the years that were more ordinary athletically who due to expectations and solid coaching and program momentum performed over their heads in some cases.

This is a new program, and they are working at it really hard. I was impressed with the effort and improvement from last year in what i saw in the 30 minutes of game scrimmage I saw vs a very good [Not great IMO at least at first glance, offense isn't there} PC team. Rocks Senior and Junior QB's will have to improve as the season goes on and it's a different time in Rocks QB era. O-line has some potential and could be good at some point. Saw some good things against an excllent defense, and they will do a good job against many of their opponents who aren't as good , big or as fast as PC is in some areas.

St Johns is a nice match-up for the Rocks. A common opponent from last year was Findlay and St Johns probably played them a bit better than Coffman did. This doesn't mean much as the teams are different and Coffman defense will be more competitive. They have the QB edge though and that is a fairly significant thing. Blake Lichtenberg isn't as good as UC's Brady , his brother but he is along with Bradley's Fleharty the two best the Rocks will see. Youngstown State offer and he is a legit 1-AA guy. He is elusive within the pocket and outside of it which is a Rocks Achilles heal . Saw some scrimmage footage adn they love to run the motion jet sweep to the slot guy Turner who made some nice gains and scored a TD in the large handful of reps he took executing this play.

Rocks will have to do a better job at defending this particular play along with containing Licht and trying to keep in the pocket. Athletically the teams aren't a lot different, but Rocks could be better up front on defense. They [SJ}have a kid Schuller who looks pretty good and active at DE/LB and some nice athletes in the secondary. Don't think the Rocks receivers will have an edge there. Anderson running about 20-25 times seems like a good bet and his feet and quickness will give this team trouble.

Last year in the pre-season Stokes was talking about the offense and stated at the end of his take on it 'We need to 'somehow " make some explosive plays . The operative word being 'somehow" which tells us that he didn't see it happening easily. I think the same thing may be true this year with new receiver starters and new QB's . Anderson will surely break a few runs at points in the season. Rocks had a nicely executed outside 'Slip' screen that may have been an explosive play called back by an inadvertent whistle against PC last week. That kind of execution can result in a big play vs. some opponents. Big TE needs to catch a couple a game as well,

Rocks didn't get any turnovers, which is something they need to try to create, 4 all season in 12 ballgames is totally unacceptable. Special Teams have to be better as well. There should be a lot of closer games this year than last and getting some key turnovers is a big piece to winning these types of evenly matched games.

Last edited:
Kinda surprised by the dropoff of all the Toledo area teams. Whitmer, SJJ, Anthony Wayne, Perrysburg, all had very solid programs for quite awhile, but last couple years have all been dropping off together. TCC only team maintaining their strength. Better for football if we get some good teams up that way.
I think TCC is getting a nice percentage of the “ dudes “. In that area . TSJ for instance got destroyed by TCC last year . Twice . They are in a different level up there now . Should be for the foreseeable future . PC has been pre season number one in CO for seven straight years . Same teams at or near the top each year .

Coffman could play with TCC until last year . They would have gotten waxed by them just like St John’s did . OCC Central is down talent wise overall as well . Just not a ton of dudes . Bradley I think is a slight favorite . UA loses 19 of 22 starters . Liberty as you point out has less talent after the fuller effect on the 4th HS opening takes hold as now kids can’t opt to stay put anymore . I have a friend whose youngest had the chance to go to Liberty as a Frosh but is at Tangy . Davidson loses most of their offensive output (. Weir and Nixon ) Orange is Orange and that leaves Bradley to me being possibly the top team with the best QB in the league .

Last edited:
There is a lot of buzz about the Kilbourne RB transfer at Orange, but I'm sure ol Zeb will find a way to underperform developing a team around him. Im interested to see all 3 Hilliard schools this year, they still seem to be trending sideways but someone like Bradley is dangerous if they get talent that can run the pro-style offense.
They got the QB Fleharty as a transfer from a smaller school last year so he will know the system better and he is one to watch. , par for the course over there ,[Getting the QB transfer} and a very good receiver who was the best MS skill player in Dublin in 2019 WR Wolfe played at Karrer and whose brothers went to Coffman along with this kid Teah . Jr. Wolfe is tall at 6-3 but a bit on the slight side at 170 But athletic with good hands and he played as a frosh. Teah is 6-1 about 190 or so . A decent RB and a line that has some potential. If UA had a few more back I would say they are the team to beat, but I think Bradley may have just enough to win the league this year. With Fleharty with a year under his belt making a nice jump as a Junior they should be able to throw the football pretty well.

Darby will be pretty decent, Good Junior class, with a couple of Sophs who played a lot last year. LB Marsh is very good and a MAC level LB. Davidson had a pretty good Frosh team and has a few players but lost it's really nice three-year RB tandem in Weir and Nixon. Solis was going to coach the O-Line until the DC needed to be replaced adn he is taking that job on. Big loss for Kilbourne. Calip will help Orange who has some athletes as usual, but they never seem to pop. I thoght they had a nice collection of players back in 2020 when I saw them play Coffman in that Covid year. Probably should have beaten Coffman last year which tells you how dramatic the Coffman fall was. Both Darby and Davidson are what they are. Clinging to the past a bit too much but it is what it is. Darby back in 2007 when they took Coffman to the mat in the regional final was a dynamic offensive team. That was then. Bradley opened and they fell off and went more conservative. Well coached team that gets something from limited talent, but they will stay pretty consistent IMO.

Don't know if the Louie Line will be up for week one and Cal Preps doesn't do actual predictions until later Sept. BUT you can still use their feature project the match-up and some are accurate it seems based on what's coming back and previous performance and some are a ways off. These are the 10 games that I find most interesting in week one. I will include the CP projection as well as usual.

Tol. ST Johns at Coffman - DC - 1Decent line, may be DC should be favored by a few more

Liberty at Pick Central - PC - 32 - too high. PC offense not a light it up unit, at least early on

Lancaster at Pick North - PN - 21 - Pretty sharp line

UA at Burg - UA - 26 - totally based on last year, should be a decent game.

Hartley at Big Nut - BN - 7 Not bad, should be a good ballgame.

Darby at Orange - Orange - 1 - no real feel for this one,

New Albany at Marysville - M-Ville - 6, solid line. M-Ville has built a nice program the last 5 years. Helsp that they have had a few studs, but a really solid culture over there that is impressive. NA loses coach Kidwell, but he built a nice foundation that is consistent.

Bradley at Berlin - Bradley - 3 , I like the Jags in this one, at this price, Harbins can may be give us some more insight into Berlin.

Mason at Gahanna - Gahanna - 14 - Lions best team since they had Landry, Bruckner, that nice RB adn stud D-Lieman Johnson who transferred to PC the next year. Always have a modicum of talent but this year they have more than usual. Can they put it together. Not sure what Mason has.

Perrysburg at Jerome- P-Burg -8 Burg has the stud RB and Jerome with the second-year coach, but they lost some really nice players on offense, but return the QB and a couple solid players. Still can't believe they couldn't beat Coffman last year despite returning 3 kicks for TD's. They won't have to contend with Mr. Maggs this year, but I think they let a nice chance slip away and I sense Coffman wins again this year. [If they can cover kicks lol} Line looks about right

Last edited:
I do lean Darby as well , as they are well coached and physical, but that RB is legit for Orange along with another 3-4 kids who are talented. Orange actually played UA pretty good snap for snap last year in terms of yardage. Mason numbers are huge. It would be like Scioto and Coffman as one school and may be that isn't as big? They should be a bit better you would think. Colerain reign is ebbing at a decent rate, lost the coach , the momentum stopped and the old coach is poised to do what he did at Colerain at Lakota .

On average, the CO D-1 schools are smaller enrollment wise on average than the schools in the Cincy and Cleveland Metro's, , more school splits, and it is a good thing there isn't the larger D-1 Catholics here because that would hurt these schools more most likley. Mason can lose some kids and still be competitive. My cousin's kid went to Carmel HS in Indiana , they usually opt for that ONE really large HS than the communities do here. Hard to get playing time in many sports there. SOOOO many kids. I like that Co splits them. Not great in terms of building really good teams , but overal more kids get to play and it works out well educationally as well.

Well I have been watching a lot of film on TSJ. I must say their qb is legit, he keeps so many plays alive with his legs and has very good vision and arm strength. They also have a huge RB that is a load and runs very hard.

They looked very good in both scrimmages. Their defense did give up some scores , but they can score. Ton of different formations and motion, the qb will look to run and can get the edge when plays break down.

Harry stated earlier in post that his brother is at UC, I would look for this kid to possibly get a couple of bigger offers than his YSU and Butler. Not the biggest at 6'1 185, but he is a gamer.

TSJ's numbers look good, the O-Line also looks very solid. TSJ scrimmaged Toledo Start and Springfield Holland.

I'm not saying that DC can't win, but this is a tough task and the Rocks will need to play well. The JV's and Freshman will make the trip up to Toledo on Saturday.

#Relentless
#All-in

Max preps looks to have a pretty accurate roster , updated yesterday . I did notice some of the heights and weights were a bit inflated . Some were very accurate , some not so much . But it is a solid roster

1660673347169.png

**SNAPSHOT OF LAST 5 YEARS** (Also, posted on the Pickerington thread... Excuse the non-printable characters)