Drew Pasteur is coming back!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Of course it doesn't. he doesn't need to "admit" that, it should be plainly obvious to anyone who understands even the first thing about computer models. The only way to put any integrity into out of state games is to rank those teams AND all their opponents and opponents opponents the same way with the same level of scrutiny, which I'm sure there just isn't time for. Which is yet another reason the Harbin system is such a joke, for the half-assed way they "mail it in" on out of state games.
Tell us how u really feel ?

It's quite a positive that Drew chooses not to foul up his data with the out of state games. Nothing corrupts a system of calculations faster than poorly sourced data. His rankings would be a 500% improvement over Harbins for playoff seedings. And don't tell me that just because so many teams make the playoffs now that the ranking system doesn't matter. We shouldn't use crap technology, the kids deserve better. You wouldn't enter a horse and buggy in the Daytona 500
Firstly, what’s your solution? You hate Harbins but that’s all I see from you, the problem. Give us your solution or solutions and educate. Anyone can get on here and bash the current system after 40 years of use. It’s still better than pre-Harbin era.

Make ya own site then
Well spank my @$$ and call me Judy! Did I say anything bad about it? Heck, it really doesn't matter how accurate his site is now, 16 teams get in! Back in my day, only TWO, so head to head should have mattered. How can a 10-0 team be overlooked for a 9-1 team the just got spanked by the 10-0 team. That's all. But now all that is mute. If you can't be the top 16 in your region, you don't deserve the playoffs.

Well spank my @$$ and call me Judy! Did I say anything bad about it? Heck, it really doesn't matter how accurate his site is now, 16 teams get in! Back in my day, only TWO, so head to head should have mattered. How can a 10-0 team be overlooked for a 9-1 team the just got spanked by the 10-0 team. That's all. But now all that is mute. If you can't be the top 16 in your region, you don't deserve the playoffs.
Alright Judy. TLDR

It's quite a positive that Drew chooses not to foul up his data with the out of state games. Nothing corrupts a system of calculations faster than poorly sourced data. His rankings would be a 500% improvement over Harbins for playoff seedings. And don't tell me that just because so many teams make the playoffs now that the ranking system doesn't matter. We shouldn't use crap technology, the kids deserve better. You wouldn't enter a horse and buggy in the Daytona 500
I grew up Amish, so if back then dad was entering the race..........

I agree with your points above and have felt the same way. I will save myself time and let you continue on.

I think a final score can be misleading, especially HS football. How many 35-0 2nd half games end up 35-14 because the winning team took the foot off the gas and started putting in backups. Unfortunately I can see the same 35-0 games end up 49-0 to get more playoff points. Accusations of running up the score and not letting back ups get in the game in an obvious blowout will be discussed. Especially week ten when a bubble team is beating down some 1-8 team. Or a team is trying to get top 4 to ensure 2 home playoff games

I think a final score can be misleading, especially HS football. How many 35-0 2nd half games end up 35-14 because the winning team took the foot off the gas and started putting in backups. Unfortunately I can see the same 35-0 games end up 49-0 to get more playoff points. Accusations of running up the score and not letting back ups get in the game in an obvious blowout will be discussed. Especially week ten when a bubble team is beating down some 1-8 team. Or a team is trying to get top 4 to ensure 2 home playoff games
Couldn't agree more. I have also seen many games where the score is close, but one team completely dominated the other.... It was just a couple of big plays that led to a misleading score.

Excited Season 7 GIF by The Office

And not even just blow-outs, there would be games where a team is up by 2 td's and instead of running out the clock and ending it they would be incentivized to try to score again and run it up. There will never be a system in place where margin of victory/defeat matters as that just incentives running up the score.

Drew posted his divisions and statewide top 10s and his top games for week 1 on the @OhioF50 Twitter account

Literally ANY computer model that accounts for scoring value to games regardless of win or loss, so it isn't just completely ignoring loss games. Losing 24-21 to Moeller isn't the same as losing 49-0 to Middletown Fenwick, but the Harbin ratings treat those to games EXACTLY the same. It's an absolute travesty for the kids, and insulting to any human being with half a brain.

The fact that Harbins have been allowed to be used for 40 years should be making everyone EXTREMELY pissed off. There are 20 better possible solutions, but if you want 1, Drew's computer does an INFINITELY better job of arranging the teams than Harbins do.
I get it but again you give no concrete solution. Just generalizations. Harbins have been around for many years because no one has come up with a better solution and presented it. Sounds like a good move for you. Going forward, there is no need to get so angry on here. All we see are your childish put downs. Watch the language on your posts going forward. Just a warning. I love that Drew does his own thing and I believe it typically ends up very close to the Harbins. If you're over 40 you should remember the days when score was 100% if the deciding factor. Not who you beat and strength of schedule. Urbana beats Northwestern 89-0 and they get tons of "points" from the sports writers. Happened that way in the 70s.

So I guess you are just not going to read my posts at all?

I just gave you a 100% concrete solution, Drew's computer would be an INCREDIBLE improvement over the Harbin computer.

I realize you are an incredibly dense person from the moderation decisions you've made in the past and I have zero idea why someone so ignorant is given moderation privileges, but you don't get to just completely change the meaning of my posts in your response and reduce it to "generalizations".

There are literally hundreds of computer models out there that could be used, right now. The criteria that any of them use are far more sophisticated than Harbins. S/P+ could easily be adapted, it has allowances for output/stats during parts of the game where the score is a blowout and backups are likely playing so that it weights those items far less into the teams ability ranking.

All we need is any computer model that ranks teams from 1 to X. I guarantee everyone that if you were to do a side-by-side comparison of ANY modern model along side the results of Harbin that they will make a lot more sense. If you want a concrete example, use Drew50 and compare how he did regions in prior years vs what Harbins spit out. Make the change today, while a more permanent solution is worked on with detailed metrics like S/P+ has.

Is that a clear and concrete enough explanation for you?
Another satisfied customer. I’ll add you to the plethora of other keyboard tough guys that think they are smart. There is no reason for you to be so angry and abusive. Listen, Mr. Obvious, what you think of me and your attitude on here tells me all I need to know. Your childish responses and outbursts are laughable. I am a mod and that’s to keep jerks like you off of this site.

Status
Not open for further replies.