Dover Tornadoes Basketball

I mean it is what it is. Dover has a D1 enrollment right now. Nobody in Dover cared when they were beating schools half their size like Indian Valley, Claymont, River View, etc.
You actually think they should be competing in Division 1? If you do you are crazy! Same with New Phila Girls basketball team.. Have no business having to compete at that level! Theres no way Dover has more boys than St V does.. Numbers dont add up somewhere

I mean it is what it is. Dover has a D1 enrollment right now. Nobody in Dover cared when they were beating schools half their size like Indian Valley, Claymont, River View, etc.
What you don’t know is that Dover’s enrollment was smaller. When the ECOL went to Big/small Just one school was smaller than Dover in the scarlet division the difference in enrollment was never close to being twice as big for Dover.

While no one in D2 has twice the enrollment of anyone else, not even close (I think it is around 200 to 350 in CB "point" count), tonight's game flipped would be like Dover playing a borderline D3-D4 team in a tourney and calling it a legitimate divisional matchup.

And D1 basketball has a CB range of 350 to 1200, so the thought is that you only need five to field a team and that's acceptable?
Though with soccer and only three divisions; you need eleven solid players to succeed, which favors the larger schools even more...so even less sensible.

Last edited:
While no one in D2 has twice the enrollment of anyone else, not even close (I think it is around 200 to 350 in CB "point" count), tonight's game flipped would be like Dover playing a borderline D3-D4 team in a tourney and calling it a legitimate divisional matchup.

Right. I understand it stinks. But you fall to DII next year and in the district's you beat a 19-4 Indian Valley team and all the Indian Valley people will say, "We should never have to play Dover. They have XXX number of boys more than us."

The point is it never ends. You are in the division you are in.

Respect to Dover tonight. They played Mentor hard all night. Didn't resort to trying to play a zone as a lot of the overmatched teams Mentor play does. If they are bringing back so much, I think they are going to be a nice team in DI or DII next season. Mentor on the other hand graduates 8 of their top 9.

Right. I understand it stinks. But you fall to DII next year and in the district's you beat a 19-4 Indian Valley team and all the Indian Valley people will say, "We should never have to play Dover. They have XXX number of boys more than us."

The point is it never ends. You are in the division you are in.
Not a Dover fan here...and it's not about the number, it's the percentage. There is a major diff between low and high end of D1 (400%), and D2 (70%)...any crys from an IV fan about #'s would seem silly in comparison to the three to four fold larger disparity in bottom to top D1 matchups.

Why do all four divisions have to have somewhat equal amounts of teams? This leaves the top end division as the largest 1/4 of the schools in the state no matter what the separation is between top and bottom. and of course D2 and D3 just by the makeup of school sizes in the state are the sweet spot for more fair divisional alignment. Not that the football method of 7 divisions is the answer, but one could ask why D1 basketball doesn't start at 600 and you add another division?

Years ago there were more schools then today.,you had 2 divisions A & AA. Football has to many divisions (7). 4 is to many for basketball, with all these divisions, next will be participation trophies for all.

Not a Dover fan here...and it's not about the number, it's the percentage. There is a major diff between low and high end of D1 (400%), and D2 (70%)...any crys from an IV fan about #'s would seem silly in comparison to the three to four fold larger disparity in bottom to top D1 matchups.

Why do all four divisions have to have somewhat equal amounts of teams? This leaves the top end division as the largest 1/4 of the schools in the state no matter what the separation is between top and bottom. and of course D2 and D3 just by the makeup of school sizes in the state are the sweet spot for more fair divisional alignment. Not that the football method of 7 divisions is the answer, but one could ask why D1 basketball doesn't start at 600 and you add another division?
Agree. This is ridiculous for all the smaller schools in each division. Take the top 100 D-1 schools and divide the other 3 divisions equally.

I've said this a million times. It is ABSOLUTLEY LUDICROUS that schools with 350 boys should be competing with schools that have 900-1100. It's a joke. OHSAA needs to fix this.

Actually would need to maybe also make a small along with a large school division with reduced size (that may mean a lot of one game sectionals or sectional byes, but I saw a sectional bye in Girls D1 this year?). Then at least you don't have a D4 ranging from 30 to 200 CB points or something similar.
In a five division system roughly:

D2 300 - 600
D3 150 - 300
D4 75 - 150

That along with the top and bottom divisions would approx. have no one more than twice another's size in the same division?