Doubledribble, the AARP Boys and Diva

Rich Denamen, Hubbard's center on a good team. (starters Walker, Lindsay Randall (RIP), Charles Taylor, John Cornwallis and reserve Rich Czubek -seniors all) Not completely sure spelling. Too lazy to check. Blast from the past...

I key Walker and only Walker shows when I save. LOL

Rod Walker?

Last edited:
I recall McElroy and Bevly playing men's fastpitch softball back in the late 70's to early 80's in the Youngstown Area League on Margaret Linton's team (Linton Funeral Home). Competitive and "spirited" play.

Last edited:
I recall McElroy and Bevly playing men's fastpitch softball back in the late 70's to early 80's in the Youngstown Area League on Margaret Linton's team (Linton Funeral Home). Competitive and "spirited" play.

I can't say I really remember fast pitch still being played by then. I seem to remember slow pitch taking over. I remember my father playing in the late 50s and early 60s. Mainly I remember everybody arguing that all the pitchers were doing something illegal, I don't know what. That and when they played at Ipe's Field retrieving the foul balls that went into the woods down the left field line when they used the south field.

I do remember the King and his Court coming here and playing an "All-Star" team at Idora Park. This had to be about 1960. I'm sure I was only about 8 years old. My father was playing so we went to watch the game. During the warmups I kept waiting for the rest of the Court team to get there because they only had The King, a catcher, a 1B and a SS. I found out that was the whole team, 4 guys.

I remember thinking all our guys have to do is hit it out of the infield and it's a HR. Yeah, hit it out of the infield. The King didn't even need the 1B and SS. All he needed was the catcher as nobody put a fair ball in play. I think Dad and one or two other guys fouled a few off but that was it. He struck everybody out. He struck guys out between his legs. I seem to remember him going out to 2B and striking guys out one inning. I don't remember what the Court scored but they only needed one run. They could have probably played for a year and locals would not have scored. :)

I think one of their guys was a former major leaguer briefly but I'm not sure.

Earlier post mentioned Bill 'the thrill" Higgins from Dayton Dunbar. I remember seeing him light up YSU when he played for Ashland.

Rod Walker?
Rod was Dck's younger brother. HE74 told me last year Rod died in an automobile accident. I don't remember exact year, but I put his age ~30ish.

Sad. Seemed to have it all. Only knew him from Babe Ruth baseball, but even now I have that occasional, awful feeling about a life lost so early.

Yappi would let me type "Dick", but would not show it. :)

Did it again. I understand, now. Shortened version of Richard. Sigh....

Last edited:
Absolutely great info from those from "The Far East, Youngstown". :) Thanks to YTOWN, coldshoulder, EagleGuy, Garden35 and
ucfpengbuck Your posts were very informative and brought back some memories from yesteryear. (y)

The King and his Court

Eddie Feigner

WW-II USMC Veteran

100px-Eagle%2C_Globe%2C_and_Anchor.svg.png

:>---

EGA

ohiopup - Thanks for posting! I was lucky enough to see Eddie Feigner a few times. The guy was unbelievable!

Also, this date in history:

March 2, 1962: Wilt scores 100
59 years ago today, Wilt Chamberlain scored an NBA-record 100 points in the Philadelphia Warriors' 169-147 win over the New York Knicks, breaking his own record (78 points) from three months earlier.
  • Playing all 48 minutes, Chamberlain also set NBA records for field goals attempted (63), field goals made (36), free throws made (28), most points in a quarter (31) and most points in a half (59).
  • By the numbers: Wilt averaged 50.4 points and 25.7 rebounds per game that season. That week, he averaged a whopping 70 points per game, exceeding 60 in all four of them.

ohiopup - Thanks for posting! I was lucky enough to see Eddie Feigner a few times. The guy was unbelievable!

Also, this date in history:

March 2, 1962: Wilt scores 100
59 years ago today, Wilt Chamberlain scored an NBA-record 100 points in the Philadelphia Warriors' 169-147 win over the New York Knicks, breaking his own record (78 points) from three months earlier.
  • Playing all 48 minutes, Chamberlain also set NBA records for field goals attempted (63), field goals made (36), free throws made (28), most points in a quarter (31) and most points in a half (59).
  • By the numbers: Wilt averaged 50.4 points and 25.7 rebounds per game that season. That week, he averaged a whopping 70 points per game, exceeding 60 in all four of them.

I remember that of course and I always wanted to see some highlights of it but as I remember it the game was played in Hershey, Pa. and there was no film crew there so no video. I do think some audio of part of the game exists but no video. That's the year Wilt averaged over 50 ppg. Hard to believe.

I hope somebody else remembers this regarding Eddie Feigner:

Five or so years after I saw him in person here a softball game pitting Hollywood TV and movie celebrities vs. MLB players was televised. I think James Garner was the starting pitched for the celebs but after he gave up a run Leo Durocher, the celebs manager, made a pitching change. They announced some name I had never heard of as the new pitcher but in reality it was Eddie Feigner. He struck out Willie Mays, Harmon Killebrew & Willie McCovey to end the inning. He threw the pitch he struck Mays out with between his legs. Now, if those guys couldn't hit him how were some poor slob beer and a shot weekend warrior amateurs going to? :)

I hope somebody else remembers this regarding Eddie Feigner:

Five or so years after I saw him in person here a softball game pitting Hollywood TV and movie celebrities vs. MLB players was televised. I think James Garner was the starting pitched for the celebs but after he gave up a run Leo Durocher, the celebs manager, made a pitching change. They announced some name I had never heard of as the new pitcher but in reality it was Eddie Feigner. He struck out Willie Mays, Harmon Killebrew & Willie McCovey to end the inning. He threw the pitch he struck Mays out with between his legs. Now, if those guys couldn't hit him how were some poor slob beer and a shot weekend warrior amateurs going to? :)

EGA

Hello everyone, I'm down here in OWK's state at Panama City Beach. My husband and I bought a condo here to rent out. We enjoyed the city so much when he became an Ironman here last November that we looked into buying a place. They were going like hotcakes, so we had to move fast. Literally, they were selling within a day.

We're repainting and redecorating and working really hard to get it ready ASAP, but we're having furniture delivery issues. Covid has really done a number on the world in so many ways. Production of nearly everything has been affected with shipping times in the months.

We have no TV here yet. ?

We were awakened by a tornado warning on my phone. First time to see the palm trees blowing and the ocean wild in the Gulf.

I hope you're all well. I like OWK's saying of think positive but test negative.

Last edited:
Hello everyone, I'm down here in OWK's state at Panama City Beach. My husband and I bought a condo here to rent out. We enjoyed the city so much when he became an Ironman here last November that we looked into buying a place. They were going like hotcakes, so we had to move fast. Literally, they were selling within a day.

We're repainting and redecorating and working really hard to get it ready ASAP, but we're having furniture delivery issues. Covid had really done a number on the world in so many ways. Production of nearly

We were awakened by a tornado warning on my phone. First time to see the palm trees blowing and the ocean wild in the Gulf.

I hope you're all well. I like OWK's saying of think positive but test negative.

Sounds great, Diva! I think that you guys will really enjoy the Panhandle of Florida. As you know, there are many, many advantages to living in that area. I certainly wish you the best.

Since you have a place in Florida, you have to be able to take some of the Florida sunshine back to Upper. The following should do the trick for you:

Florida Sunshine.jpg

We're repainting and redecorating and working really hard to get it ready ASAP, but we're having furniture delivery issues. Covid had really done a number on the world in so many ways. Production of nearly

Awesome, Diva!!! we were just west of there last fall. Love that area........

Today is April 21st

Happy Birthday to Elizabeth II (Queen of the UK...)
1926 - She is 95 today.

220px-Queen_Elizabeth_II_in_March_2015.jpg

= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =

220px-Manfred_von_Richthofen.jpg

Manfred von Richthofen AKA the Red Baron

Met his fate on this day during 'The Great War' 04/21/1918

Considered by many the most famous military aviator from World War I, credited with
shooting down 80 Allied aircraft. He was shot down by Allied ground fire only two
weeks before his 26th birthday.
He was given a funeral will full military honors by the Allied forces.

He flew a Fokker Dr.I tri-plane painted all red save for the National-ID of
a black cross on white background.

220px-Fokker_Dr1_on_the_ground.jpg

EGA

Here is a problem...solve it...
hint there is no wrong answer, but only one absolutely correct answer.
xyequal.png

asnem

I love puzzles.

How is everyone? I've been incredibly busy the past few months. The condo in Florida is about ready to rent. We have taken four one-week trips down there to renovate it. We really enjoy our Happy Place.

What's keeping you all busy these days?

I love puzzles.

How is everyone? I've been incredibly busy the past few months. The condo in Florida is about ready to rent. We have taken four one-week trips down there to renovate it. We really enjoy our Happy Place.

What's keeping you all busy these days?
Baseball thankfully.

We have our vacation planned-a trip to Orange Beach Alabama. Never been there. Not far from you Diva!

Yes Diva, things have been pretty quiet and there might be a reason for it. It seems like some of the news items haven't been real positive.

As you probably know, we lost singer B.J. Thomas a few days ago:

Sadly, the "local news" story that is getting national attention is not a good one. It's the story concerning the Canton McKinley football coaches forcing a player, supposedly to disciple him, to eat pizza in front of the rest of the team. Making things even worse is that the pizza had pepperoni and sausage on it and eating pork is against the player's religion. This so hard to believe on so many different levels:

If anyone is interested in the situation or "weighing in", there is a thread on Yappi with almost 300 posts about this case: