Does open or concealed carry actually make us safer?

oxat622

Gun rights advocates and enthusiasts often make the claim that society would be safer if more people owned guns and carried them in public. I'm not anti-2A by any stretch, but I'm very skeptical to that position. Case in point in Utah:

So, does open or concealed carry actually make us safer? How prevalent is the good guy with a gun? Does more guns = more disputes devolving into the brandishing or use of a gun?

Last edited:

Gun rights advocates and enthusiasts often make the claim that society would be safer if more people owned guns and carried them in public, we would have a safer society. I'm not anti-2A by any stretch, but I'm very skeptical to that position. Case in point in Utah:

So, does open or concealed carry actually make us safer? How prevalent is the good guy with a gun? Does more guns = more disputes devolve into the brandishing or use of a gun?
Do you have any conservative views? As the life long conservative you claimed you were ?

Gun rights advocates and enthusiasts often make the claim that society would be safer if more people owned guns and carried them in public. I'm not anti-2A by any stretch, but I'm very skeptical to that position. Case in point in Utah:

So, does open or concealed carry actually make us safer? How prevalent is the good guy with a gun? Does more guns = more disputes devolving into the brandishing or use of a gun?
I guess it made him feel safer? Nothing more hilarious than youth sports Dads trying to flex on each other.

post warriors GIF

Sure.

Now, care to weigh in on any of my questions or is placing my ideologies in a box more important to you?
I just find it curious that you would start a thread on gun control and preface it by saying you're not necessarily against the second amendment. It seems with your history on here that you probably are very against it

So I take it the idiot Marxists will also try to carry this argument with outlier cases, just like BLM and dead innocents. Ignore the causative behavior that people that know better consciously choose. I would know that I am safer if I was to be carrying a weapon, and everybody around me would be as well.

Last edited:
I just find it curious that you would start a thread on gun control and preface it by saying you're not necessarily against the second amendment. It seems with your history on here that you probably are very against it
How often have you seen me comment on gun control?

Can I not start a thread with genuine interest in the topic? Or do I have to be a raging psychopath in either a liberal or conservative direction to start a thread here?

Why did you take a Utah twit Tweet about open carry and drag conceal carry in to it?

Got any stories about a conceal carry gunfight at a youth sports contest? Sensationalize much?

Your "example" of what happens when irresponsible guys have guns is pathetic actually.

Why did you take a Utah twit Tweet about open carry and drag conceal carry in to it?

Got any stories about a conceal carry gunfight at a youth sports contest? Sensationalize much?

Your "example" of what happens when irresponsible guys have guns is pathetic actually.
Because the point of the conversation isn't open carry vs concealed carry as much as it is ANY carry and whether the presence of guns, whether open or concealed, leads to more safety or more disputes involving guns.

And there was this:

I don't know if the shooter was conceal carrying or just went to his car to get his piece, but he was not open carrying.

Because the point of the conversation isn't open carry vs concealed carry as much as it is ANY carry and whether the presence of guns, whether open or concealed, leads to more safety or more disputes involving guns.

So basically what you're asking is should we have guns or not, and you thought you'd confuse it by talking about open carry/concealed carry when that has nothing to do with it.

Great job.

So I take it the idiot Marxists will also try to carry this argument with outlier cases, just like BLM and dead innocents. Ignore the causative behavior that people that know better consciously choose. I would know that I am safer if I was to be carrying a weapon, and everybody around me would be as well.
Exactly what I was going to state.

:>---

EGA

So basically what you're asking is should we have guns or not, and you thought you'd confuse it by talking about open carry/concealed carry when that has nothing to do with it.

Great job.
Sorry if you were a misled and thought this was a concealed carry vs open carry debate. I'm lumping the two together.

Of course it makes us safer. If the other guy had a gun, do you think the "bad guy" would have threatened him?

I think it is kinda funny that the tweet references a "semi automatic rifle" As if that is of particular significance, and it is likely as not to be inaccurate.

Ohio has had open carry for a long, long time. I'm not aware of any shoot outs occurring here.

And there was this:

I don't know if the shooter was conceal carrying or just went to his car to get his piece, but he was not open carrying.
Interestingly, there is more to this story. I was told by "someone in the know" that the shooter who was a coach, who is paralyzed in a wheelchair, left the gym to get away from an angry parent who followed the coach to his car...at that point, the coach shot the parent. The coach was not legally allowed to carry a firearm for other issues but it makes you wonder what would have happened...

Sorry if you were a misled and thought this was a concealed carry vs open carry debate. I'm lumping the two together.

I wasn't mislead. You brought it up. Why didn't you just ask if gun ownership was worth the price of gun violence?

You'd make more friends if you'd just be honest.

Interestingly, there is more to this story. I was told by "someone in the know" that the shooter who was a coach, who is paralyzed in a wheelchair, left the gym to get away from an angry parent who followed the coach to his car...at that point, the coach shot the parent. The coach was not legally allowed to carry a firearm for other issues but it makes you wonder what would have happened...
Never know what will happen in a battle between someone doing something illegal and an idiot!

I would never carry open.. don't need to advertise. Whoever wants to carry open so be it.
It does not matter the statistics on the use of a gun to protect ones self. It is a fundamental right to possess the means(this means guns) to protect your life.

Under Ohio law, county sheriffs are responsible for issuing, renewing, denying, suspending, or revoking concealed carry licenses. In 2016, 158,937 licenses were issued or renewed, 1,669 licenses were suspended, 797 licenses were revoked, and 1,634 licenses were denied.

797 revoked is a small percentage of 158K.. they state that revoked is:
Sheriffs must permanently revoke the license of any person who no longer meets the eligibility requirements to carry a concealed handgun (e.g., moved out of state, died, was convicted of a disqualifying crime, became subject to the law’s restrictions on people who are mentally ill or who are dependent on drugs/alcohol)