Does anyone else want a dome stadium in Ohio?

I always said the HOF was dumb for building an outdoor stadium. a 30k seat dome could have been used for so many purposes that would attract even more people to your HOF Village. There never would have been any more questions about where the finals should be. The HOF game would be a bigger draw.. concerts throughout the year to bring people to your HOF village... attracting NCAA tournaments for basketball. They missed the boat for sure.

I always said the HOF was dumb for building an outdoor stadium. a 30k seat dome could have been used for so many purposes that would attract even more people to your HOF Village. There never would have been any more questions about where the finals should be. The HOF game would be a bigger draw.. concerts throughout the year to bring people to your HOF village... attracting NCAA tournaments for basketball. They missed the boat for sure.
Then Mr. Benson should have put up the $$.

Short sighted is what we do in Ohio.

The fact that both the Browns and Bengals didn't build a dome and the local governments were OK with it says it all. Now the Browns want a new stadium and the Bengals want significant upgrades to their stadium.....all at taxpayer expense of course.
The City of Cleveland built the stadium. The Browns franchise was inactive at that point. The ridiculously short timeline set by the NFL resulted in a generic, cookie-cutter football stadium. My bet is on a new dome stadium in 2029.

Last edited:
When I win the lottery:

I am building a dome outside of Minster. It will hold 5,000-10,000 for football, and I will financially encourage MAC teams to play a MAC Game of the Week there on Thursday nights. It will have turf and permanent camera fixtures for NKTelco and WOSN. We will "convince" the OHSAA that they can hold the D1-D4 championship games wherever they wish, but the D5, D6, D7 and 8-man divisions will hold their championship games here.

In the winter it will be like Syracuse's Carrier Dome and have a basketball court for various tournaments / MAC games of the week.

We will came this dome: The MAC Arena.

Now I just need to figure out how to work in a cycling velodrome around the field.

When I win the lottery:

I am building a dome outside of Minster. It will hold 5,000-10,000 for football, and I will financially encourage MAC teams to play a MAC Game of the Week there on Thursday nights. It will have turf and permanent camera fixtures for NKTelco and WOSN. We will "convince" the OHSAA that they can hold the D1-D4 championship games wherever they wish, but the D5, D6, D7 and 8-man divisions will hold their championship games here.

In the winter it will be like Syracuse's Carrier Dome and have a basketball court for various tournaments / MAC games of the week.

We will came this dome: The MAC Arena.

Now I just need to figure out how to work in a cycling velodrome around the fiel
Some may confuse it with the bullriding place in Celina called the Mack Arena.

How about some naming rights

The Dannon Dome?
The Dicke Dome?

The University of Northern Iowa in Cedar Falls, Iowa, has the UNI Dome.
It opened in 1976 and has a capacity of 16,234.
It's used for football, wrestling, indoor track and softball, as well as several other public events and concerts. It was also home to the college's basketball team until a separate facility was built in 2006.
The state high school semifinals and finals in football are held there for all divisions.

View attachment 36115

This is the Round Valley Dome in Eagar Arizona. Drove by this one year ago. Reportedly this is the only high school football dome in the country. Completed 30 years ago for $11 million. Seats 5,500 for football.

Of course they need a dome in that part of Arizona as the weather there is horrible....not.

First, I was at a game there last year. Secondly, Eagar is at 7,080 feet. So yeah, they definitely prefer having a dome than being in the snow zone in winter.

The yellow is the lighting. it's the old style lights, and there's no ability to color correct. home team wears black and yellow, and if you adjust colors, they'll look black and white. But, this is a true color of what your eyes sees there. It's just all yellow.

52 yard Field Goal

It is a wooden-beam roof. Seats about 5000, but that's debatable. The visitor side is tiny and at field level. The stadium was funded by a tax levy that passed. Since the bulk of the land in the district is owned by a power plant, the power plant essentially funded the stadium. It's the only high school football stadium that's domed. Every other domed stadium that hosts a high school (Frisco, Cedar Falls IA, Pocatello ID, Vermillion SD, etc) are either owned or co-owned by another group. Ford Center in Texas was partially funded by the Cowboys. THe other three are college stadiums where the local high school plays their home games there as well.

The Round Valley Dome, however, is owned and operated by the school district and built just for the school district.

I would love it, more fans would go, and it could be used year round. Would eliminate those rainy, windy games that pretty much no one likes to go to and really affects games the most. And to be able to sit in a domed stadium in November, December for playoffs when its 25 and wind chill in the teens would be nice. No jacket/coat needed. No brainer (IMHO).

Everyone grossly overestimates the amount of
people who would now go to games because of ticket prices, location or in this case a dome.

Just because we are on a message board where we think the sport(s) we follow would see an increase in attendance from any or all of these things, doesn’t mean the general public (who doesn’t care) would participate. There just isn’t the same interest level in high school sports as a whole anymore.

I was just at the UNI-Dome this past weekend for 13 of the 14 games. The week before I was at the Fargodome for 8 games. UNI-Dome is the better stadium for fans. Fargodome has endzone seats. While UNI-Dome is all on the sidelines. It feels louder, too.

Dakota Dome is another one in Vermillion (SD). Then there's the Tacoma Dome (WA), the Walkup Skydome (AZ), Kibbie Dome (Moscow, ID), Holt Arena (Pocatello, ID), Alerus Center (Grand Forks, ND), Superior Dome (Marquette, MI), and JMA Wireless Dome (formerly Carrier Dome, Syracuse, NY). Can't think of any more college domed stadiums.

Fargodome:

Side note: Down 7-0, score a TD. Go for 2. This is the pass attempt for 2. No call for DPI? What's your thoughts?

UNI-Dome:

Dakota Dome:

Tons more photos of all my games at http://www.flickr.com/sykotyk/sets/

Last edited:
Everyone grossly overestimates the amount of
people who would now go to games because of ticket prices, location or in this case a dome.

Just because we are on a message board where we think the sport(s) we follow would see an increase in attendance from any or all of these things, doesn’t mean the general public (who doesn’t care) would participate. There just isn’t the same interest level in high school sports as a whole anymore.
Scenario: It's 35 degrees and they're expecting 3 inches of rain during the game. Would you go?

Scenario: It's 70 degrees and dry. Would you go?

If there's even a difference in your consideration for ANY game offered to you to watch based on those two options, then yes, a dome would increase ticket sales. It's disingenuous to argue it wouldn't.

Scenario: It's 35 degrees and they're expecting 3 inches of rain during the game. Would you go?

If there's even a difference in your consideration for ANY game offered to you to watch based on those two options, then yes, a dome would increase ticket sales. It's disingenuous to argue it wouldn't.
Agree with the comfort at the stadium, but distance from the stadium will factor into a decision to attend as well.

Does anyone realize the revenue that's needed to be generated just to maintain a building like this ?

I didn't think so.........

Does anyone realize the revenue that's needed to be generated just to maintain a building like this ?

You have something that shows the revenue need to be significantly more than one exposed to the weather? It would be interesting to read.

And wouldn't a dome have more opportunity to raise revenue? Be more efficient year round? I don't know any schools holding January events in their football stadiums.

As for atmosphere, those weather games certainly hold the memory better. We talk every year, the Sylvania-Hoban game at Fremont. Fortunately, a lot snuck in heaters.... and shared. It got cuddly with strangers. I don't recall a single game in which the thought came, gee I wish this was in a dome!

Though if I was sitting in a dome, I don't think I'd be thinking how neat it would be to have a foot of snow on the field and ice in my coffee.

Eh, just play the game. I'll go.

Agree with the comfort at the stadium, but distance from the stadium will factor into a decision to attend as well.
But that's the whole 'all else being equal' aspect of it. Other variables will change the outcome. But if the only difference is the atmospheric conditions you, the fan, will be sitting in change your decision to attend ANY game, then yes, it does matter. Extrapolate that out to even more fans, and you have an idea just how many tickets are being left unpurchased.

Initial cost for a dome like the UNI-Dome (probably easiest construction setup) would be a lot. But the ability to use it year round and for a lot of events. Realize, the UNI-Dome hosts Cedar Falls High School football home games. So, cost of operations can't be too much if a high school plays their home games there instead of their own home field. But, hosting things like conventions, conferences, youth tournaments, basketball, lacrosse, soccer, etc. And that's for a small dome at a MAC school.

A large stadium in Cleveland or Cincinnati? The worst thing Cleveland has done, financially, was build on the cheap the Browns stadium for 99. They didn't even have escalators. 5th level? You had to walk up the sweltering, foul smelling ramps the whole way up. At least they had the stairwells for quick exits after the game. But a stadium that's only used a dozen or so times a year? No. That's a waste of money. As much as i like the outdoor games and the Bills-Browns 8-0 game ranks high in my memory bank for experiences, I also know that game had about 20,000 actual live bodies inside the seating bowl at any time during the game. And I'm sure the Browns are well aware of that issue. The newer stadiums are about luxury if they want to get the high ticket prices for the bulk of the seats. Gone are the days of stadiums trying to add more and more seats. instead, it's about maximizing the per ticket profit from a smaller, stadium. Better seats, sightlines, amenities (wifi, video/score/stat screens), better concessions and restrooms, etc.

Would more people go? Sure. But what is that number? Let’s for argument say it is 1,000 people at $10 a ticket. That’s $10K. Nothing to sneeze at, but not anywhere near justifying a $50-$100M investment, even if they are playing 50 games a year there.

Would more people go? Sure. But what is that number? Let’s for argument say it is 1,000 people at $10 a ticket. That’s $10K. Nothing to sneeze at, but not anywhere near justifying a $50-$100M investment, even if they are playing 50 games a year there.
Well, not for a stadium built just for high school games. A stadium built for college games at college prices, with concessions, parking, enhanced fundraising for alumni donations, campus atmosphere to sell to prospective students, etc.

There's a lot of intangibles. But then the _university_ could then use that venue for a lot of additional uses, such as high school games, conventions, concerts, etc. Once built, any additional day it's used just softens the annual operating costs.

Look at Youngstown with the Covelli Centre. They literally make nothing hosting Youngstown Phantoms hockey games. But it allows them to have an actively used venue for all the other one-off events by having regular staff instead of hiring for one off events each time.

- So build it and they will come?
- Remember, you just don't turn off the lights and turn down the heat/AC when the day is done.....
- When the roof needs replacing, who's writing the check? (multi millions)
- Who/What are you competing with for all these concerts, conventions, conferences?
- Who is the main tennant?

It's nice to dream....... 😉

But that's the whole 'all else being equal' aspect of it. Other variables will change the outcome. But if the only difference is the atmospheric conditions you, the fan, will be sitting in change your decision to attend ANY game, then yes, it does matter. Extrapolate that out to even more fans, and you have an idea just how many tickets are being left unpurchased.

But as has been discussed all year here, attendance is down at regular high school games. There is significantly less interest from the public at large (not necessarily from people on here, although I would be curious if Yappi has any numbers about active users/threads for this past fall as opposed to previous years)

Weather, game location, or ticket price isn’t all of a sudden going to influence a person to attend who isn’t currently going to their local high school game drive to see their own team play (or two teams they don’t have ties to).

I’ll use myself as an example. I’m in my mid 40s, and between work and kids activities, by Friday nights at 7pm, I am beat. I’m either relaxing at home, enjoying a rare evening out with my wife (if she’s not exhausted also) or stopping over a friend’s house. I didn’t attend one of the local school’s games this year and I live about 8 blocks from the stadium. I’d check in on social media and see how they were doing, but going was not on my priority list. 20 years ago, I wouldn’t have missed a game.

Life changes, and the younger people who grew up going to games every Friday/Saturday night like I did, aren’t as interested anymore for a variety of reasons.

But as has been discussed all year here, attendance is down at regular high school games. There is significantly less interest from the public at large (not necessarily from people on here, although I would be curious if Yappi has any numbers about active users/threads for this past fall as opposed to previous years)

That would be cool. But, I definitely think Yappi's demographics are going to skew gray.

Weather, game location, or ticket price isn’t all of a sudden going to influence a person to attend who isn’t currently going to their local high school game drive to see their own team play (or two teams they don’t have ties to).

I think it affects more people than you think. If it was a home playoff game, I got to imagine a much bigger crowd as many will be in a short drive or walk from the school. While, a neutral site means both sides need to travel. Sure, the road team might not travel as much as the home side, but I think those same limiting factors that make road fans fewer also affect neutral site games for both sides.

I’ll use myself as an example. I’m in my mid 40s, and between work and kids activities, by Friday nights at 7pm, I am beat. I’m either relaxing at home, enjoying a rare evening out with my wife (if she’s not exhausted also) or stopping over a friend’s house. I didn’t attend one of the local school’s games this year and I live about 8 blocks from the stadium. I’d check in on social media and see how they were doing, but going was not on my priority list. 20 years ago, I wouldn’t have missed a game.

I totally understand that. A bit younger than you (40), but with my daughter if she went with me, it definitely lessens which game I could go to and weather would definitely affect it more. I think a big factor for younger fans is cost. I had a job 20 years ago roughly that paid $9.24/hr. With no experience or college degree. And yet, it's hard to find that now with those parameters. So, $10 tickets (if more than one going) start becoming a pricy night out. We've seen social outings drop among younger populations thanks to things like streaming video, social media, better/more popular video games, etc. $20 for two plus parking, plus travel cost, plus lost time, etc... going to a high school game in that 18-32 age range is probably not going to rank high for 'money well spent' to them.

At our age? It's everything else. It's more the energy and desire to go.

Life changes, and the younger people who grew up going to games every Friday/Saturday night like I did, aren’t as interested anymore for a variety of reasons.

Both PA and OH have done a bang up job at making attending a high school game as boring as possible. In PA, there's no noise makers, can't be shirtless, can't have signs, etc. Ohio is a little less restrictive, but if you ever listen to that opening PA announcer screed they basically expect a golf crowd.

Go to other states, and games still have the lively exciting atmosphere that are becoming harder to find in Ohio. And nearly extinct in much of PA.

Even New York has a better 'per person' atmosphere. And their solving of it is that most schools have free admission. You want to go, go. No ticket cost. No parking cost. Just go. But that's because in NY State they mostly adhere to the idea that Ohioans try to espouse as sports being 'educational' and in NY if it's educational the state will pay for it. So, it's a cost of education, not a sunk cost looking for reimbursement. Though the crowds in NY are smaller for various reasons (a lot of them are very tiny schools that co-op together that you'd rarely see in Ohio try to play individually), but the crowds are far more 'into it' even for a regular season game. And their playoffs are about as 'open' to everyone as they're now in Ohio.

I would be curious if Yappi has any numbers about active users/threads for this past fall as opposed to previous years
Things have been good on here as they keep increasing.

Active Daily Logged-In Users (we have about 5-7 lurkers per real logged-in user). Basically, 10,000 unique people come here daily on average:
1668570754087.png

Average Daily Posts:
1668570819510.png

* Switched to this software in July, 2019.

The Covelli Centre at one point had an indoor/arena football team, I wonder if space permits for a regulation football field. It seats like seven thousand I think. But the caveat is that a regulation field may not fit.

The Covelli Centre at one point had an indoor/arena football team, I wonder if space permits for a regulation football field. It seats like seven thousand I think. But the caveat is that a regulation field may not fit.
Nah, it definitely wouldn't fit. Even with the one endzone seating area pushed back, most you'd fit is probably 70 yards and still only be about 30-35 yards wide at best.