Do you root for your alma mater or someone else?

Do you root for your alma mater or someone else?

• Alma Mater

Votes: 56 52.8%
  • Someone Else

Votes: 10 9.4%
  • You can root for both I guess

Votes: 40 37.7%

• Total voters
I'll always root for my alma mater the hardest. But like SC12, I typically root for other conference members. Especially when they're in the state finals. It's a MAC thing, for sure.

There are schools that I do like better than others though, and not just in conference. A determining factor that I personally go by is how many friends I ran around with in my youth from certain schools. Same goes for the flip side, if I met more d*ckheads from certain schools, I typically still root against them to this day.
I'm a child who still holds decades old grudges... but then again, those people don't usually move out of their hometowns and raise more little sh*ts, so that's my justification.

Who I root for:
1. Fort Recovery (alma mater)
2. Jay County
3. Versailles
4. Parkway

Who I root against:
1. Fort Loramie
2. St. Henry
3. Coldwater (sorry SC12, you're cool)
Oh believe me I've heard from people from at least 4 different MAC schools that they really don't like us. Makes me laugh actually.

That got me thinking about who I root against and that's schools that don't play by the same rules or were just unpleasant to play/be around.

From my personal experience I root against:

Hamilton Badin
Youngstown Ursuline
Kenton
Cincinnati Hills Christian Academy

Probably some more I'm not thinking of

I live one street over from where I grew up, and my kids went to my alma mater, so I'm always true to my school.

If I'm at a neutral game with friends or family, I root for their kids' teams.

I root for my alma mater, also the school my kids attended and finally the school my son-in-law coaches. I also root for any public school playing a private school although many of the publics recruit as much as the privates.

Alma mater, come playoff time county teams and the WBL minus Kenton. Will even extend it to all of extreme NW Ohio if someone makes a real run....except Napoleon. Eff them.

Edit: for 9 years I lived I a different town than my Alma mater. So I rooted for the home town school too. Too bad they won approximately 5 games in those 9 years (exaggeration, but not by much lol).

Grew up in the Nordonia school district and went to Walsh. Played sports growing up with a ton of Nordonia HS kids (and still friends) so we always had that competition between schools. Back then I always wanted them to lose. Now, I follow my freinds kids at Nordonia and like to see them do well. I still root for Walsh first, then Green HS where i live now.

Will always support my Alma Mater and the community I live in but I still have more fun supporting the team that plays the school with the most obnoxious fans.....

I will pull for my alma mater first and foremost, if my alma mater isn’t playing, especially during tournament time, I will pull for the local schools not named St. Ignatius, Lake Catholic, or Euclid to represent NE Ohio.

My alma mater consolidated few years after i graduated. I dont root against them, but dont care much. I root for my kids' school.

I know a bunch of fans who root for their alma mater....but root for another team to lose, more than for their team to win. It's quite amusing.

I've been a Canton McKinley fan since '55 but went to Canton Timken which is no longer with us...a Trojan letterman in '64...BAM!

Given my avatar, I support my alma mater first and foremost. But I rarely go to their games. Maybe one a season. It's just not the same as when I was in school or the decade after.

But I do support the high school of every district or town that I live in. If my alma mater ever plays one of them, then I'd cheer for my alma mater.

I just enjoy going to the games. Seeing different towns, teams, stadiums, cultures, bands, etc. It's an interesting insight into Americana.

I've seen games in New York City, Philadelphia, in suburban Toronto Canada, and little dots on the map in places like Montana, North Dakota, Kansas, New Mexico, etc.

I'll always put seeing somewhere new higher on my schedule than going back where I've already been. With a few exceptions.

1. My alma mater, La Salle
2. GCL schools
3. Any local schools who are the last standing in the area come playoffs time
4. The opponent of Fort Thomas (Ky.) Highlands
5. In the past, I'd root for the opponents of Dayton Wayne and Massillon, but not so much anymore

I follow my alma mater, but I do support our local schools when they play teams outside our area. As a side note, public or private institution is immaterial to me. I’ve always found it repulsive to play that card.

Keep tabs on my alma mater but tbh, they annoy me. Its a new school, new league, new stadium - I feel no connection to them whatsoever. Heavily invested in the school where I live now (because of my kids) and root for them the most....

I live a mile away from one of the top program in the State, St Ed’s and go to several games a year. My alma mater is a division 4 school that went winless last year. While I enjoy division 1 football, my heart still belongs to my hometown school.

I follow my alma mater but I don't really root for them. They're terrible, they are run poorly (from admin on down), and most of the people I knew from my days are gone. I mean I hope they do well, but I don't really care that they're awful. That situation has really helped me embrace my kids' district.

I’m a fan of the alma mater that I played for , the schools I coached for and my kids schools that they played for.

I root for...

My Alma... Huron. Also Edison, Vermilion, and Margaretta. SBC teams in the playoffs. Anna in the MAC. And anyone playing Oak Harbor starting in 2023.