Do swimmers play other sports?

rocketballer08

it seems swimming is a sport of its own, the skills it takes dont really come in handy with others sports. football players generaly wrestle because strenght is important for both and they can even run track, bball players can run track because speed is neccessary for both sports and be solid baseball players because of hand eye cordination. My question is, is their a sport that alot of swimmers tend to do other than swim?

The top swimmers almost never play other sports because swimming is year round for them. The season begins with their club teams in late august or early september and runs through march or april (the high school season is between this season from November to February). Then there is a 2-4 week break and then the summer season starts up and runs through late July or early august...and then the cycle begins again in late August or early September again.

There are some swimmers who either are good at another sport or do not want to take swimming as seriously as they do other other sports, and boy do these sports range. The only sports these swimmers don't play are basketball and wrestling because they are the other two winter season sports in high school, but besides those two every other sport is played by other swimmers.

really? cause our swimmers take swiming seriously along with XC , track, and Baseball. And baseball players dont do track cause track and B-Ball is in the spring. And i dont think football players do wrestleing. only one of our football players does wrestleing. The receivers mostly do track.

yeah rocketboller has a great point swimmers dont play other sports and tapout also has a respectable thought process of thinking swimming isnt a sport. Things i would like to say about that... I am like i would say a third to half of swimmers. I have been swimming my entire life, but have also played other sports. In highschool i play soccer, swimming, and track. There are multiple ppl that play other sports. And the fact that swimming isnt a sport? that guy is one stupid man.

Guys, if you can't discuss the topic in a mature manner, the thread will be closed. And, if the thread is closed, those who cause that to happen will be placed on the moderated poster list.

just a fan said:
Guys, if you can't discuss the topic in a mature manner, the thread will be closed. And, if the thread is closed, those who cause that to happen will be placed on the moderated poster list.

Agreed. We can argue about a topic, but let's do it maturely and not resort to foolish namecalling that won't get the topic anywhere.

Not only is Swimming a sport, but some may say that it is also one of the hardest, and also probably the most time consuming. People don't realize that we have to have two a days over christmas break and that we have to wake ourselves up to get in and swim before school. Its ridiculous how little appreciation swimming gets everywhere. As for swimmers playing other sports, look at Water Polo. Many schools across Ohio and several in Cincinnati, inclding Princeton, where I go, have Water Polo programs. This sport not only includes swimming stamina but speed. On top of that you must tread water the whole game and it includes ball skills similar to basketball and baseball. Playing baseball, basketball, and soccer when I was little helped me make parallels to Water Polo when I got to high school. For the most part every kid on my polo team swims during the winter season and plays polo in the fall, in the spring many play baseball, track, and volleyball.

vikespolo06 said:
Not only is Swimming a sport, but some may say that it is also one of the hardest, and also probably the most time consuming. People don't realize that we have to have two a days over christmas break and that we have to wake ourselves up to get in and swim before school. Its ridiculous how little appreciation swimming gets everywhere. As for swimmers playing other sports, look at Water Polo. Many schools across Ohio and several in Cincinnati, inclding Princeton, where I go, have Water Polo programs. This sport not only includes swimming stamina but speed. On top of that you must tread water the whole game and it includes ball skills similar to basketball and baseball. Playing baseball, basketball, and soccer when I was little helped me make parallels to Water Polo when I got to high school. For the most part every kid on my polo team swims during the winter season and plays polo in the fall, in the spring many play baseball, track, and volleyball.
Nobody gives a ---- about water polo, plus this is the swimming/diving forum so get the ---- out!

alright big man, X Pride forever. My brother went there, and hes got the same attitude as you, it sad that eveyrbody who goes there thinks they are better than everyone else. As for you, I doubt you even contribute to St. X's team.

xbomberd08 said:
Agreed. We can argue about a topic, but let's do it maturely and not resort to foolish namecalling that won't get the topic anywhere.

That is not going to happen. HAve you looked at any other forums? all the name calling and threatning.

StxBomb said:
Nobody gives a ---- about water polo, plus this is the swimming/diving forum so get the ---- out!

I give a ---- about water polo...I was trying to get a team as a matter of fact...and yes I am part of the st. x swim team. So shut your mouth good sir.

vikespolo06 said:
alright big man, X Pride forever. My brother went there, and hes got the same attitude as you, it sad that eveyrbody who goes there thinks they are better than everyone else. As for you, I doubt you even contribute to St. X's team.

I agree what he said was basically a stupid comment, but not everyone at X has the atitude that they are better than everyone else.

Swimming and Wrestling our competely sports. Swimming is a sport where muscles we hardly use are put into great shape(Calves, Abs, Back, shoulders). Also overall its a generally heavy endurance sport, like Cross country, but in water. The water itself builds the tone body of a swimmer because never-ending water resistance. Practices consist usually of large amount of lap to lap intervals, depending on the day, either speed or endurance is focused. Very much like a Cross Country team.

Wrestling on the other hand, is a sport of stamnia and short bursts of a quick and aggressive energy. Much different from swimming, but endurance is the key in both sports, the man with the more energy, pretty much has good upper-hand on there opponent. Overall, Both sports required heavy amounts of training to get the next of "level". Wrestling and Swimming our probably the toughest sports to trian for, and especially if your a swimmer at st.x, theirs only way, as i look at it from seeing them swim, and thats to be the best.

my 2 cents,

Josh Schnieder of Taylor made state last year in swimming (50free) and track (110m hurdles).

Kyle Feagans from Milford both dove and played baseball, there are a few that swim and play volleyball as well.