Division VI State Championship: Marion Local (15-0) vs Kirtland (15-0)

Who wins?

• Marion Local by 17+

Votes: 17 8.9%
  • Marion Local by 8-16

Votes: 56 29.5%
  • Marion Local by 1-7

Votes: 54 28.4%
  • Kirtland by 1-7

Votes: 38 20.0%
  • Kirtland by 8-16

Votes: 20 10.5%
  • Kirtland by 17+

Votes: 5 2.6%

• Total voters
you don’t think Bremen may be on the brinks of D6? i think they are 10 or so boys off. if Bremen were to move up, there’s a good chance they could run into Kirtland as long as they stay D6 as well.
i think they will stay in 7 , the numbers aren't there

This is one of the few times I would ever say this, but they could have played this August 19 and been done with it. I am not sure there has ever been a surer bet than these two meeting in the finals. The great thing about this game is there will be no excuses, perfect weather, horrible weather- doesn’t matter, no one will be whining about the refs, because these two teams play clean. I’m not sure who wins? I’ll take the Flyers because I’m a MAC guy, but pretty sure the true winners will be the fans.

This game reminds me of the 2012 DV State Championship where Coldwater defeated Kirtland, 10-9. I'm almost to the point I would be surprised to see someone score two TD's in the game. Both teams will look to control the line of scrimmage. Should be a classic!

On a side note, I'm a bit surprised to see Drew Pasteur have Marion Local favored by 10. Only because of the respect I have for Kirtland.

People seem to be downplaying Kirtland - I say that's good. The offense and defense are playing the best they have all year. I expect a close hard hitting game. I think both schools are to talented, to proud and to well coached to get blown out.

People seem to be downplaying Kirtland - I say that's good. The offense and defense are playing the best they have all year. I expect a close hard hitting game. I think both schools are to talented, to proud and to well coached to get blown out.
Downplaying Kirtland? Looks about half and half to me

has Kirtland been passing the ball much?

They did a few times last weekend and hit on all but one pass. The pass is usually open because they run so well. I'm not sure how they would pass if they absolutely had to (3rd and long).

All I am going to say on this one is if both teams are not nervous as heck about Saturday morning there is something wrong. This is going to be probably one of the best games that you will watch In the past few years. Both Coach Laverde and Coach Goodwin know each other very well on the football field. If either of them gets much sleep this week I would be surprised. You know they will have their teams amped and focused for this game.

Both team's defenses are almost unstoppable. Which one will break? I can't wait till Saturday its going to be perfect weather and a fun day to be in Canton.

Kirtland 14
ML. 10

I'm going to predict that there will be a blocked punt.

And the team that pulls it off will be the winner in a 14-7 game.

Last week against Fort Frye I think they attempted between 5-8 passes. The week before against Mogadore they didn’t attempt a single pass. I would imagine it depends on what they see on tape and then determine how mi h they will pass

What makes this match-up so intriguing is that the general expectations we have for these two teams when they face other opponents, no longer apply here. Against other opponents we expect to be the better conditioned team. That doesn't apply here. Against other opponents we expect to have the better coaching. That doesn't apply here. Against other opponents we expect to have the more confident group of players. That doesn't apply here. So something has to give on Saturday but we don't really know what that deciding factor will be. That uncertainty is what produces the old butterflies in the stomach feeling.

What makes this match-up so intriguing is that the general expectations we have for these two teams when they face other opponents, no longer apply here. Against other opponents we expect to be the better conditioned team. That doesn't apply here. Against other opponents we expect to have the better coaching. That doesn't apply here. Against other opponents we expect to have the more confident group of players. That doesn't apply here. So something has to give on Saturday but we don't really know what that deciding factor will be. That uncertainty is what produces the old butterflies in the stomach feeling.
Definitely agree with everything you said

Didn't Kirtland have a running back rush for 360 yds. in the state semifinal game? If true, that is unheard of (and more yds. than ML had total in their semi - final game). The Hornets had 9 players make All District 1st team vs 5 for ML. ML did not have a running back rush for 900 yds. on the season QB did not even reach a thousand yds. passing. I picked ML to win because I am a Flyer homer, but K is the clear heavy favorite in this game.

Last edited:
Didn't Kirtland have a running back rush for 360 yds. in the state semifinal game? If true, that is unheard of (and more yds. than ML had total in their semi - final game). The Hornets had 9 players make All District 1st team vs 5 for ML. ML did not have a running back rush for 900 yds. on the season QB did not even reach a thousand yds. passing. I picked ML to win because I am a Flyer homer, but K is the clear heavy favorite in this game.
They did, Tommy Gogolin. However, Kirtland is similar (at least I think so) to Marion Local in that it is the play of the team, not individual stars, that wins them games. During the regular season, I don’t think Kirtland had a RB rush for 1,000 yards (if so it wasn’t much more). They had several RBs between 500-1000’yards on the season (I think 3 of them). They game plan for each team and take what the defense gives them. e.g. one of their other RBs had 4 TDS last week (Rocco Alfieri). And Rocco also rushed for ~250 yards in one of their playoff games (I think against Dalton)

They did, Tommy Gogolin. However, Kirtland is similar (at least I think so) to Marion Local in that it is the play of the team, not individual stars, that wins them games. During the regular season, I don’t think Kirtland had a RB rush for 1,000 yards (if so it wasn’t much more). They had several RBs between 500-1000’yards on the season (I think 3 of them). They game plan for each team and take what the defense gives them. e.g. one of their other RBs had 4 TDS last week (Rocco Alfieri). And Rocco also rushed for ~250 yards in one of their playoff games (I think against Dalton)
Marion Local did not even have a rb rush for 700 yds. on the reg. season, plus the Flyers best all-around player most likely will not play defense Sat. maybe on offense.

Gogolin is a burner. FF didn't have much of answer and when he was in space it was over. Gogolin is not their meat-grinding back. That's the Alfieri kid, I think, but I don't know how he compares to their long run of "Masons" at that position.