Division VI State Championship: Carey (14-1) vs Coldwater (13-2)

Who wins the state championship?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Coldwater is coming off of a 35-13 win over the West Jefferson Roughriders and Carey is coming off of a 26-13 win over the Springfield Tigers. This is the first meeting between the blue devils and the Cavaliers. Hoping for a well played game and hopefully state championship #8

Game is Saturday at 3 at Canton

Coldwater 28
Carey 22

Good luck to the Cavs & MAC as they're closer to me. However Carey isn't too far away. Glad the Western side of the state is being represented by WC/NW OH teams. Carey is home to my fellow San Francisco 49ers fans Team Brydon. That young man & his dad are a prime example of the love a father & son share.

Fact of the matter is that CW has problems with power running teams.
See MSML and St Hank.

Now they face a Jerome Bettis type back behind a line that rivals the old Washington Redskins Hogs.

Probably was a better matchup if NMS had won but it is what it is.

I imagine we'll still show up in Canton next week, play hard and do their best and try not to get run over like a freight train vs a Prius.

I'm glad to hear you guys arent big this year. Always intimidating playing the MAC teams, in any sport. I've probably seen the Cavs in person 20 times over the years. Always impressive. Our last deep run was in 94' when, of course, we lost to a MAC team in the semis. May the best team win and the beer flow freely.

Cheers.

Last edited:
Fact of the matter is that CW has problems with power running teams.
See MSML and St Hank.

Now they face a Jerome Bettis type back behind a line that rivals the old Washington Redskins Hogs.

Probably was a better matchup if NMS had won but it is what it is.

I imagine we'll still show up in Canton next week, play hard and do their best and try not to get run over like a freight train vs a Prius.
Yet in the SH game, CW had 4 turnovers and still had a chance to win it at the end.

Left Tackle: Evan Homan 6'2'' 251 Lb Junior #72
Left Guard: Caleb Stammen 6' 203 Lb Senior #58
Center: Josh Kaup 6' 196 Lb Senior #52
Right Guard: Andrew Hicks 5'8'' 227 Lb Senior #77
Right Tackle: Will Fox 6'1'' 254 Lb Junior #64
By todays numbers those are not very big kids. However, I have noticed over the years MAC athletes who were giving up 50 lbs still are often as strong and more agile than their counterparts.

Will this be a blow out? Unlikely, but I will still like the MAC in this one with a big 4th quarter come from behind scenerio as the Carey line gets winded, Coldwater 36 Carey 35.

By todays numbers those are not very big kids. However, I have noticed over the years MAC athletes who were giving up 50 lbs still are often as strong and more agile than their counterparts.

Will this be a blow out? Unlikely, but I will still like the MAC in this one with a big 4th quarter come from behind scenerio as the Carey line gets winded, Coldwater 36 Carey 35.
Our boys play one way. Aint no winded in week 16.

I'm glad to hear you guys arent big this year. Always intimidating playing the MAC teams, in any sport. I've probably seen the Cavs in person 20 times over the years. Always impressive. Our last deep run was in 94' when, of course, we lost to a MAC team in the semis. May the best team when and the beer flow freely.

Cheers.
CW is rarely big.

My head says Coldwater but I'm pulling for Carey. 46 years between appearances? For that alone I'm pulling for them.

One area of concern I think is that NMSL did have receivers open. They didn't connect on a few open receivers and dropped a sure TD that would have cut it to 26-20. I don't think It would have changed the outcome because NSML just could not stop Carey. Coldwater usually has a very good passing game. Of course, if Carey can run the ball like they did against NMSL Coldwater's offense may never see the field. :)

Good luck to both teams.

I'm glad to hear you guys arent big this year. Always intimidating playing the MAC teams, in any sport. I've probably seen the Cavs in person 20 times over the years. Always impressive. Our last deep run was in 94' when, of course, we lost to a MAC team in the semis. May the best team win and the beer flow freely.

Cheers.
Carey has very few kids going both ways?

Carey has very few kids going both ways?

Until lastnight, Conti was the only fulltime 2 way player. QB Lonsway played all night on defense as well, lastnight. Nobody on the line goes both ways and we rotate about 8 to 10 guys in the skill positions on offense. Kemmerly, for instance, is the MLB but he will play 10 or so snaps in the O backfield thru the course of the game.

Last edited:
Big offensive showing again for the Cavaliers last night as they racked up 426 yards.

My head says Coldwater but I'm pulling for Carey. 46 years between appearances? For that alone I'm pulling for them.

One area of concern I think is that NMSL did have receivers open. They didn't connect on a few open receivers and dropped a sure TD that would have cut it to 26-20. I don't think It would have changed the outcome because NSML just could not stop Carey. Coldwater usually has a very good passing game. Of course, if Carey can run the ball like they did against NMSL Coldwater's offense may never see the field. :)

Good luck to both teams.

Yes. WR's were open often. We definately focused on stopping the QB from running all over us. Pick your poison with that stud. As impressive as his running was I loved his throws, even in the snow. Kid is awesome.

It seemed like all of the discussion I saw all but guaranteed a Coldwater-New Middletown Springfield rematch. Really surprised to see NMS get ousted by Carey, but maybe shouldn't be as it sounds like Carey was really dominant. It's nice to see a newcomer (i.e. not a perennial power) in the state title game. Can't help but root for the underdog, but Coldwater seems to be firing on all cylinders these last few games so seems like the Cavs will likely come out on top.

It seemed like all of the discussion I saw all but guaranteed a Coldwater-New Middletown Springfield rematch. Really surprised to see NMS get ousted by Carey, but maybe shouldn't be as it sounds like Carey was really dominant. It's nice to see a newcomer (i.e. not a perennial power) in the state title game. Can't help but root for the underdog, but Coldwater seems to be firing on all cylinders these last few games so seems like the Cavs will likely come out on top.
Carey more than earned their ticket to Canton. You're right, last week it was hard to see Carey beating Springfield, but that was less about what Carey could (and did) do and more about what Brungard (Springfield QB) had done the last 2+ years. What's the old saying - Jimmies & Joes over X's & O's? Going into the game Brungard was the "biggest" Jimmy of them all, but now it appears Mr Vallejo eclipsed him. ; )

Status
Not open for further replies.