Division V State Semifinal: Kirtland (13-0 (54-0)) vs Ottawa Glandorf (11-3)

Who wins?

• Kirtland by 17+

Votes: 58 52.3%
  • Kirtland by 8-16

Votes: 36 32.4%
  • Kirtland by 1-7

Votes: 2 1.8%
  • Ottawa Glandorf by 1-7

Votes: 10 9.0%
  • Ottawa Glandorf by 8-16

Votes: 3 2.7%
  • Ottawa Glandorf by 17+

Votes: 2 1.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Ask these guys about that
View attachment 23922
Good idea. I see 2020 Otsego there. I’m glad we aren’t playing the 2020 Kirtland team, for sure!

2021….Any Otsego folks want to compare your last year’s team to this year? And what they thought of OG this year compared to last year?

Elyria Catholic is a NE Ohio D5 team. Ask them what they thought of OG.

Clearly many of you don’t know anything about us. I’ll help you out because you clearly haven’t bothered to look yourself.

2020- We beat the D4 state champs Van Wert last year by 1. Ask their fans about us. I’m sure you Kirtland fans think you would have destroyed Van Wert easily last year and this year.

Did not play well against Otsego in Regional Championship Oh yeah, our head coach who is also our offensive coordinator was sick and not able to be there.

2019 - Lost 17-10 to D4 state champions Clyde in the Regional Championship. You probably would have destroyed them easily also, right. But maybe Clyde fans will weigh in here and give some input.

2018 - 5-5, a very average team. No playoffs.

2017 - 3-7, lost our first, second AND third string QBs to injury. First and second string was before the Week 1.

2016 - Lost to D4 State Champion Bishop Hartley 38-35 in the Regional Championship. Ever hear of them? Hint: They went to D3 in 2017 and we went to D5 with competitive balance. Kirtland would have beat Hartley that year easily I’m sure though.

2015 - Lost to D4 State Champion Bishop Hartley 42-14 in the Regional Semis.

2014 - 8-2, did not make playoffs.

2013 - 6-4, did not make playoffs.

2012 - 10-0, lost to Bishop Hartley in the Regional Championship.

YES, we know your history and your success. Great record, great run of state titles and winning streak. Phenomenal head coach and staff. We get it.

OG fans- y’all have a GREAT team. But please understand losing by 14 is the expectation for anyone playing Kirtland right now. It’s not an insult it’s just that most of us have watched this again & again owner the last 10 years.

perspective- Kirtland was moved up to the higher division of their conference this year. The year after they graduated 20 seniors from a D5 roster…and they’re right back where they’ve been the last decade.

Once playoffs start unless they run into one of those 2011 vintage “small” school Mooney teams, they’re going to be expected to win. As an opponent just embrace it. Don’t be offended by it.

Good idea. I see 2020 Otsego there. I’m glad we aren’t playing the 2020 Kirtland team, for sure!

2021….Any Otsego folks want to compare your last year’s team to this year? And what they thought of OG this year compared to last year?

Clearly many of you don’t know anything about us. I’ll help you out because you clearly haven’t bothered to look yourself.

2020- We beat the D4 state champs Van Wert last year by 1. Ask their fans about us. I’m sure you Kirtland fans think you would have destroyed Van Wert easily last year and this year.

Did not play well against Otsego in Regional Championship Oh yeah, our head coach who is also our offensive coordinator was sick and not able to be there.

2019 - Lost 17-10 to D4 state champions Clyde in the Regional Championship. You probably would have destroyed them easily also, right. But maybe Clyde fans will weigh in here and give some input.

2017 - 3-7, lost our first, second AND third string QBs to injury. First and second string was before the Week 1.

2016 - Lost to D4 State Champion Bishop Hartley 38-35 in the Regional Championship. Ever hear of them? Hint: They went to D3 in 2017 and we went to D5 with competitive balance. Kirtland would have beat Hartley that year easily I’m sure though.

YES, we know your history and your success. Great record, great run of state titles and winning streak. Phenomenal head coach and staff. We get it.
Im not from Kirtland or am I a fan. Just being a realistic football fan.

There is no disrespect by anyone form Kirtland towards OG. Its just the opposite. There is a very good reason why. OG made the final 4. You might hear very high confidence from people who follow Kirtland but posters from Kirtland don't do the put down talk about OG.

There is no disrespect by anyone form Kirtland towards OG. Its just the opposite. There is a very good reason why. OG made the final 4. You might hear very high confidence from people who follow Kirtland but posters from Kirtland don't do the put down talk about OG.
Kirtland fan here…being a Browns fan I have learned over the years not to talk trash…every time I did the Browns disappoined and I would have to eat crow???

What is your point with Bishop Hartley? Bishop Hartley had to move up to Division 4 in football in 2015 to win a championship because they couldn't beat Coldwater the prior years. Bishop Hartley was 0-3 against them in a two year span.

Kirtland fan here…being a Browns fan I have learned over the years not to talk trash…every time I did the Browns disappoined and I would have to eat crow???
OUCH !!! LOL Browns ( AKA CLOWNS ) fan here - for a VERY Long time, 1960's - so I feel your pain! Most of us are expecting a well played hard nosed physical game.
100% with you on trash talking - from some that obviously have yet to learn or are not as old as some of us!
I hope for an injury free game with both teams showcasing their best !

Nice history. My proposed scenario is accurate. Your team will lose by at least two touchdowns. The game will feel close. It will feel like victory is still a possibility into the third quarter even, but it will be over after Kirtland's first score. Embrace the horror. You had a good run this season.

Hey GoTitans thanks for posting that recap for OG.

I live near Kirtland and have many friend's kids that play there now and in the past.
It's a class program and they respect their opponents.
Believe me they are not taking OG lightly.
The Kirtland fans are respectful and are not the ones talking big on here.
There are some jock riders on here that either:

1) their teams have gotten kicked by Kirtland so they feel like they have to act like the Hornets are unbeatable to make themselves feel better.
2) they wanna sound like they know what they are talking about by picking Kirtland to roll.
way to stick your next out there since they have the longest win streak around lol.

I follow OG and have watched several of their games cuz the coach is an old buddy.
I follow Kirtland because how can I not living right next door to them.

I give Kirtland the edge but OG is the type of team that will eventually end the win streak for the Hornets when the time comes.
May not be this week but this type of team will be the one to do it.

I live near Kirtland and have many friend's kids that play there now and in the past.
There are some jock riders on here that either:

1) their teams have gotten kicked by Kirtland so they feel like they have to act like the Hornets are unbeatable to make themselves feel better.
2) they wanna sound like they know what they are talking about by picking Kirtland to roll.
way to stick your next out there since they have the longest win streak around lol.

I follow OG and have watched several of their games cuz the coach is an old buddy.
I follow Kirtland because how can I not living right next door to them.

I give Kirtland the edge but OG is the type of team that will eventually end the win streak for the Hornets when the time comes.
Or there are some of us who have seen our school win multiple state championships so we know what it looks like.

You can also add Ursuline with Mooney. ?
Yeah, I got my years wrong (getting old). 2011 was the Ursuline run, I was thinking back to mid 2000s Mooney that won D4 or 5 by outscoring opponents 200-50 in playoffs. Remember it coming up a few years later when SEVERAL guys from that Mooney team were playing in the Ohio St-Penn St game. . . yikes!

This made me chuckle. Pretty sure we could go back through this year alone and find at least 20-30 posters that went from "this time it's different" to "no one can beat them" in the span of a week.

Most of whom seemed to realize what they did and deleted the bookmark to this site. : )

This is what I was about to say. The Kirtland fans that post on here are usually humble & very objective. We do not overlook our opponents; and posters like myself expect a great game on Saturday. As I said a couple days ago, Ottawa-Glandorf has everything to gain & nothing to lose this week.

This made me chuckle. Pretty sure we could go back through this year alone and find at least 20-30 posters that went from "this time it's different" to "no one can beat them" in the span of a week.

Most of whom seemed to realize what they did and deleted the bookmark to this site. : )
Raylan I loved "Justified" lol.

You are correct in your analysis.

Or there are some of us who have seen our school win multiple state championships so we know what it looks like.
I believe you that you've watched great teams win state championships
I'm not picking on anyone.
All I'm saying is Ohio State Championship teams come in many different forms, styles and paths.

I've watched my hometown school win the state championship too and hope to watch them do it again next Thursday.
I like to be anonymous on Yappi so I'll leave the rest out.
Most teams that win OHSAA state football championships are not like Kirtland.

Good luck to both squads.

This is what I was about to say. The Kirtland fans that post on here are usually humble & very objective. We do not overlook our opponents; and posters like myself expect a great game on Saturday. As I said a couple days ago, Ottawa-Glandorf has everything to gain & nothing to lose this week.
This is the truth.

You have always been a great poster for Kirtland.
Keep it coming and have a fun trip to Clyde Saturday.

Say hello to Roxy Carmichael for me.

Everything has a start and a finish - start with some teams from the MAC -

Minster - who I know the folks from Kirtland know - won the first MAC football title, but had a drought until a few years ago- but then it gets interesting - St. Henry WAS the power that followed with great teams. and star power - Jim Lachey, Bobby Hoyng, etc. - that ran into the next power Delphos ST Johns - who has the record winning streak at 57 games I believe? Then Coldwater, followed by MLMS that once Tim Goodwin arrived they haven't looked back on expecting to be in the title game year in and out. I am old enough to have remembered when Coldwater left the WBL and Delphos joined - only to leave for the same reason Coldwater did - they were everyone's homecoming and struggled to win more than 2-3 games a year in the WBL - but that WAS years ago!! Hard to imagine that today !!
Mogadore has had its ups and downs - but in small schools - on your side of the state I put them right there with Kirtland in tradition - just not as consistently as Kirtland has been in the last 12 years or so?
Probably the greatest comeback of all time I witnessed was Mogadore - St. Henry in 96 I believe? The greatest Upset - Galion over Mooney.

SO even though YOU have seen your school win - there is always a start ( in High Schools determined by the head coach for the most part - but the carried on by the community typically) and a time it ends - Versailles with Hetrick coaching before they joined the MAC- who has a nice team this year is another example!

I know what you speak of -in recognizing championship performance - only at O-G it is known as a basketball town first with many regional appearances and state titles in D2 & D3 ...... Ken Schriner has done a fantastic job @ O-G- who knows maybe this is HIS year to break through - as long as they stay away form Turnovers I think it is very possible??

Last edited:
Agreed, well said.

Kirkland's performance speaks for itself. Their fans have no need to pump it up. It's generally the "outsiders" beating the Hornet drum that are the ones that bring any kind of resentment. MAC teams tend to get the same thing.

Agreed, well said.

Kirkland's performance speaks for itself. Their fans have no need to pump it up. It's generally the "outsiders" beating the Hornet drum that are the ones that bring any kind of resentment. MAC teams tend to get the same thing.

Ohhhh Jeezz , Im there with you. I'm a Hornet, Buckeye and Browns fan. I always feel that every team that makes the Final 4 didn't get there by luck. It wasn't until 2011 that Kirtland cracked that nut and made the final 4. The only thing that I know about OG football is that they are having a great season and earned a right to be in this game. In 2011 I don't think Coldwater knew anything about Kirtland and they were already a state power. That was the first Kirtland title and the next year we lost to them by 1pt. We have been where OG is now. We know we are going to have to play at our highest level to win a game like this. The thing is, a lot of us have seen the Kirtland teams rise to a challenge and have mostly been successful. We are confident of our teams and don't have a need to dis anyone because that's just false bravado.

These are 2 programs that certainly won't be intimidated and will come out full of confidence. Kirtland plays a schedule full of D2-D4. OG is a D5 in a league with 6 D3's, 2 D4's, and 1 other D5. Both are used to being the proverbial little guy and punching above their weight. Both have outstanding coaches and amazing traditions....OG's championship tradition just happens to be basketball instead. BUT the kids will NOT be star struck or intimidated. They've seen the big stage and they expect to be there.

It'll come down to OG's usually high powered offense getting on the board first and not wasting possessions. If they let Kirtland get that 1-2 TD early lead and suck the air out of the game, it's a long night. But if they can get an early TD and a stop? Who knows. It's why they play the game. Tiger and Ken Schriner are 2 of the finest coaches and men this state has. I expect a good battle here.

In the end I think Kirtland wins by 2 TDs, but I'll be rooting for the WBL and NW Ohio Boys to shock the world. Let's Go Titans!

Bit of trivia, hoping @YTOWN can validate.

According to my records, of the teams undefeated in state semifinal games:
  • Kirtland has the most victories at 9.
  • Second place belongs to Cincinnati Princeton at 6.
  • Third place belongs to Huber Heights Wayne and CAPE at 4.

I know OG well. My wife is from Ottawa. I've been there many times. I have in-laws there. I know kids on the team. I know the attitude of the town. And that is why I think OG has a great shot. I also think they match up every well with Kirtland. It's kind of crazy that people are predicting that people are going to walk all over OG. Maybe they will, but from what I have seen of both teams, Kirtland does not look that much better. I could be wrong, but from my perspective, OG has more than a slight chance of getting the win.

One of the reasons I hit up Yappi is to learn about other teams. I think last year Van Wert won the DIV 4 championship 31-28 over Lake Catholic. Kirtland played Lake Catholic last year also to open their season. That game was a bit of blow out. I say right here that I as a Kirtland fan don't know much about OG. Its not a disrespect thing, it just its impossible to know everything about every team in D5. Prior to 2011, nobody outside REG 17 knew much about Kirtland. They probably knew something about Mogadore and Ursline. I don't know much about Elyria Catholic either, other then the program is having a resurgence at the moment. I do pay attention to the Reg 17 rankings to keep attract of the possible seedings come playoff time. Saturday should be a great game.

Last edited:

Having followed Otsego and most NBC/NLL teams, I would say Otsego’s defense was significantly not as good as last year. I heard they were playing 4-5 sophomores on defense this year. If that is the case Og is gonna have a hard time scoring. When they play OG a few weeks ago, they were alos without their LB that was a 1st team all-conference kid. Might have made a difference.

in all honesty. OG is lucky to be playing in this game as Otsego blew a couple chances to win that game. Especially the play on 4th and long when the OG QB threw up a prayer. If Otsego knocks the ball down, they win. Crazy weird broken play. If Otsego’s FG unit actually blocked on the game winning FG, they win also. Otsego’s kicker was money all year

I am sure this will ruffle some some feathers in OG country, but you might hang for a little while. Kirtland will physically wear down anyone in D5. I would also venture to say that Kirtland is glad OG knocked off Otsego. If I remember correctly Otsego played Kirtland really tough for a half without their stud RB. And then the 2nd half came and Kirtland imposed their will on them.

Good luck OG. I am sure there is plenty of locker room material there. Then again, everyone has locker room material the week they play Kirtland

Last edited:
Having followed Otsego and most NBC/NLL teams, I would say Otsego’s defense was significantly not as good as last year. I heard they were playing 4-5 sophomores on defense this year. If that is the case Og is gonna have a hard time scoring. When they play OG a few weeks ago, they were alos without their LB that was a 1st team all-conference kid. Might have made a difference.

in all honesty. OG is lucky to be playing in this game as Otsego blew a couple chances to win that game. Especially the play on 4th and long when the OG QB threw up a prayer. If Otsego knocks the ball down, they win. Crazy weird broken play. If Otsego’s FG unit actually blocked on the game winning FG, they win also. Otsego’s kicker was money all year and clutch.

I am sure this will ruffle some some feathers in OG country, but you might hang for a little while. Kirtland will physically wear down anyone in D5. I would also venture to say that Kirtland is glad OG knocked off Otsego. If I remember correctly Otsego played Kirtland really tough for a half without their stud RB. And then the 2nd half came and Kirtland imposed their will on them.

Good luck OG. I am sure there is plenty of locker room material there. Then again, everyone has locker room material the week they play Kirtland
Ok, I hear ya. I do believe that if OG won then they deserved to. I cant speak with any authority on this as I didn't see the game. Kirtland had a dog fight with Ursine years ago for the regional championship. The Hornets were down 24-0 at half time and by the end of the 3rd qt were leading, and it was decided on the last play with Kirtland stopping them on the goal line. One of our state championship games against I believe Marion Stein or Local maybe (?) they came out hot heavy in the first half and it looked like it would just be a miracle if Kirtland could make the game at all respectable. The Hornets did win that one. The reason I bring this up is not to brag about Kirtland's awesomeness cant be beat B>S, Al that matters is the win. If you are down and for what ever reason you win, its because you know how to fight and not give up. You make it this far in the playoffs, its not luck. That's just my take.

Ok, I hear ya. I do believe that if OG won then they deserved to. I cant speak with any authority on this as I didn't see the game. Kirtland had a dog fight with Ursine years ago for the regional championship. The Hornets were down 24-0 at half time and by the end of the 3rd qt were leading, and it was decided on the last play with Kirtland stopping them on the goal line. One of our state championship games against I believe Marion Stein or Local maybe (?) they came out hot heavy in the first half and it looked like it would just be a miracle if Kirtland could make the game at all respectable. The Hornets did win that one. The reason I bring this up is not to brag about Kirtland's awesomeness cant be beat B>S, Al that matters is the win. If you are down and for what ever reason you win, its because you know how to fight and not give up. You make it this far in the playoffs, its not luck. That's just my take.
You are right. OG won and deserved to. Otsego didnt make plays when they had to and OG did. They had a 4th and long and threw up a long pass that was caught right before the goalline. At the 2:44:00 mark:

in all honesty. OG is lucky to be playing in this game as Otsego blew a couple chances to win that game. Especially the play on 4th and long when the OG QB threw up a prayer. If Otsego knocks the ball down, they win. Crazy weird broken play. If Otsego’s FG unit actually blocked on the game winning FG, they win also. Otsego’s kicker was money all year

So catching a long fourth down pass downfield and blocking a FG is just "lucky". Agree that it was an unlikely, low percentage play. Game could have gone either way, for sure.

But if their stud QB/FS couldn't cover the guy on a long pass, and their stud RB couldn't block his gap on a FG, I'd say OG took the game away from them.

You can go ahead and call it "luck" if you want.