Division V State Semifinal: Kirtland (13-0 (54-0)) vs Ottawa Glandorf (11-3)

Who wins?

• Kirtland by 17+

Votes: 58 52.3%
  • Kirtland by 8-16

Votes: 36 32.4%
  • Kirtland by 1-7

Votes: 2 1.8%
  • Ottawa Glandorf by 1-7

Votes: 10 9.0%
  • Ottawa Glandorf by 8-16

Votes: 3 2.7%
  • Ottawa Glandorf by 17+

Votes: 2 1.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Gotta give it to Kirtland. I thought OG could make it interesting, but Kirtland is just running through them. Tiger LaVerde knows how to get it done.

Their offense is the Death Star. Last week it was 5 yards a carry. This week it seems like more. But they are so fast in everything they do and force you to be so sound. And that’s if you want hold them to 4 yards.

OG gets down to the 21 before getting stopped. Kirtland ball. Hard not to see a 79 yard drive coming.

A stop! OG ball at own 30 with 2:30 in half. In theory they could double up as they get ball to start 2nd half.

Last week Gogolin was sort of their big play guy — especially on that toss counter they run. Rus was the workhorse — SR actually held him to 3.9 ypc but probably didn’t stop him for a loss once. And Sullivan was used mostly as a WR.

This week Sullivan is getting carries and killing OG and Gogolin hasn’t really been used. I wonder if the weather conditions dictated a straight run game and since Sullivan is probably their best playmaker they wanted to make sure he got touches. Eh, whatever.

An interesting difference from last week. Same result.

Gogolin was banged up tonight and did not run the ball and Laverde (their best LB) did not play - it did not matter. Kirtland played their worst game of the postseason and won 28-6. I'm sure the weather had a bit to do with it but not as much as missing two key players. Next week Kirtland does what they always seem to do - play for a chance to be State Champions.

Gogolin was banged up tonight and did not run the ball and Laverde (their best LB) did not play - it did not matter. Kirtland played their worst game of the postseason and won 28-6. I'm sure the weather had a bit to do with it but not as much as missing two key players. Next week Kirtland does what they always seem to do - play for a chance to be State Champions.
This game was Similar to the Garfield game. With score and weather. I think Rus is the top Linebacker and the kid who filled in for LaVerde did a great job. Kirtland won by 3 scores and some posters are shocked it wasn't by more? Take away 1 play and its a shut out win. We are not used to seeing Kirtland fumble and they did have 2 tonight. I think it was pretty slick out there. There really wasn't much doubt in this game. Kirtland did have a couple of punts. Look at this stat though. KIRTLAND RUSHED FOR 375 YARDS AND ATTEMPTED ONLY 1 PASS. I call that dominant. To think if you look at this at their worst game, what would of an average Kirtland game be? We are used to seeing them put up over 40 quite a bit. Still Ill take a 3 touch down win next week.

OG's coach said the same thing coaches in D5 and D6 and the other Divisions have said as well.

“They had a lot of counter action but they did what we scouted,” Schriner said. “But it is hard to emulate that in practice. Their guys up front are nothing fancy but they are good and their running back (Rus) is as good as advertised. They have a number of weapons.”

Gogolin had a injury that he suffered in the SR game and as a precaution he was only used on defense and did not run at all - Gage Sullivan was more then a adequate fill in though. The big missing piece tonight was the LB Leverde. He has a uncanny knack for shooting the gap and making big plays behind the line of scrimmage. I agree that the backup did a fine job - but you can always count on Leverde to make a few dynamic plays. OG played tough and had some size - but it was nothing Kirtland has not seen before. Tonight was not the night to fall behind and have to pass to catch up. The weather and field was poor. I'm surprised at the field condition though. The field crew only cleared half the field pregame and never cleaned it at halftime. The footing was way less then optimal.

Dominant 1st half sealed the deal in this one last night. Kirtland's line play was incredible - especially in the first half. The second half was much closer/competitive to what I expected in this game. Even with the two turnovers Kirtland had they still shut down the Titans, and forced the 4 and out or a punt.
Good luck against Versailles next Saturday night.

It would have been really interesting to see how this game would have gone if there wasn’t snow, ice and rain…it was obvious OG had really good receivers, they made some pretty spectacular catches during the game and just barely missed a few others

It would have been really interesting to see how this game would have gone if there wasn’t snow, ice and rain…it was obvious OG had really good receivers, they made some pretty spectacular catches during the game and just barely missed a few others

It would have been interesting if Kirtland had the 4 missing starters that Tiger spoke about in the postgame. The replacement kids did a great job filling in - but you know the talent that was missing. I know every team is dealing with soreness and injuries this time of the year - but that was not the best Kirtland could put on the field last night and still won comfortably. That is a testament to their preparation.

It would have been interesting if Kirtland had the 4 missing starters that Tiger spoke about in the postgame. The replacement kids did a great job filling in - but you know the talent that was missing. I know every team is dealing with soreness and injuries this time of the year - but that was not the best Kirtland could put on the field last night and still won comfortably. That is a testament to their preparation.
Do you know who was out? I know Phillip LaVerde was out, and Tommy Gogolin limited to defense only

3 TDs over a MAC team? Ok, now that's getting crazy.

If anyone ends this streak before week 16 2022, it's Versailles.
I don't think Kirtland will win next week by 3 td's. That comment was to make a contrast in what some thought was a sloppy win by 3 scores. Some people are used to see Kirtland win by 4-5 tds and consider anything less as bit as off. I don't. I'll take a 3 tds win against anyone.

Last edited:
I don't think Kirtland will win next week by 3 td's. That comment was to make a contrast in what some thought was a sloppy win by 3 scores. Some people are used to see Kirtland win by 4-5 tds and consider anything less as bit as off. I don't. I'll take a 3 tds win against anyone.
Yeah, the streak is confusing some folks. They see "50+ wins in a row" and assume every game is a running clock. Considering how many of the games in the streak are Regional Finals & beyond, you're not going to smoke everyone. And, from my point of view, it doesn't look like Coach Tiger cares to. Every gameplan is simply to win.

watched the replay, Kirtland is still Kirtland, but i saw lots of dropped balls by the OG recievers..... also it looked like OG QB was throwing a bowling ball a couple of times...