Division V State Championship: AP #1 Kirtland (14-0) vs. AP #8 Versailles (14-1)

Kirtland or Versailles?

• Kirtland by 17+

Votes: 20 13.8%
  • Kirtland by 10-16

Votes: 49 33.8%
  • Kirtland by 0-9

Votes: 32 22.1%
  • Versailles by 0-9

Votes: 39 26.9%
  • Versailles by 10-16

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • Versailles by 17+

Votes: 4 2.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
I never saw a official with deer in the headlights stare before but tonight was the night.
9FD8CD36-67E1-4D04-A782-E52230C01D71.gif

Congratulations to Versailles. That team had state title written all over it. Kirtland turned it over FOUR TIMES and still only lost by four. I found it admirable they didn’t give up.

Every streak has to end, but if I want it to end to anyone, it’s to the MAC. Not much more I can say though…I am gutted by the loss, but it will sure be one fun ride to look back on when this settles.

Congrats again to the Tigers on the deserved victory.

Congratulations to Versailles. That team had state title written all over it. Kirtland turned it over FOUR TIMES and still only lost by four. I found it admirable they didn’t give up.

Every streak has to end, but if I want it to end to anyone, it’s to the MAC. Not much more I can say though…I am gutted by the loss, but it will sure be one fun ride to look back on when this settles.

Congrats again to the Tigers on the deserved victory.
Kirtland is a great program that will continue to be great. Not many with a better tradition currently. Can't wait for another Kirkland v. MAC game, will no don't be another classic.

Interesting turnaround by Versailles…obviously they were a power back in the day, followed by some tough times….some coaching changes….and if I am thinking correctly, Jones was far from first choice when he landed the job.

Congrats to the Tigers. Well deserved. Way to represent your community and the MAC.

Kudos to Kirkland and that impressive run. The Hornets WILL be back.

HP threw the ball effectively. Ryan Jones has the Tigers playing hard-nosed football and currently enjoys a mostly senior team with size, strength, speed AND depth. You will see the D line rotate between a total of 6-8 players keeping them fresh. I’ve watched the KL and OG game. KL is very disciplined, athletic and have great fundamentals. A running play which looks to be stopped for little to no gain ends up getting 5-8 yards. Rarely did OG stop a running play for no or little yards. That grind demoralizes defenses. I’ve also watched Vers do this the last two years and defenses ultimately fold. IMO, the team to effectively throw the ball wins.
Called it - The team to effectively throw the ball wins. Was a great defensive battle with both teams able to play solid run defense. Versailles threw the ball well, however. Couple other observations: KL is a class act, Sullivan should be on a D1 roster next year, and the officiating crew called a good game, but what’s their definition of running into the kicker versus roughing the punter. This game was a great HS game to watch.

Reactions: 4GX
Interesting turnaround by Versailles…obviously they were a power back in the day, followed by some tough times….some coaching changes….and if I am thinking correctly, Jones was far from first choice when he landed the job.
That could be, I do seem to recall some questions at that time, but as nice a guy as you will find, and some question if he was TOO NICE to be an effective "general " of the field. Think that got answered this year if not last year. Great X's and O's coach, who at times will do things that cause knowledgeable fans to question the coaches decisions (like going for two for a win vs 1 for a tie late in games) but I have came to realize that as laid back as he appears in conversation inside he is aggressive with his offensive approach, he takes calculated risks putting his players in a position to decide the game on their merits. That little bit of aggressive decision making seems to drag opponets into decisions and circumstances that over the course of a game put them at a disadvantage. Kirtland certainly was forced to respond yesterday, and but for a clock that determines the length of these battles the outcome could have been different in this one.

Kirtland was impressive in their final few drives. The tigers were impressive for the first three quarters and the hole proved too deep for Kirtland to climb out of in that final quarter.

GREAT STUFF FROM BOTH SCHOOLS .

Come Sunday, when the smoke settles, there is going to be some sore young men. Hardest hitting state game I've seen, after every play someone was slow to get up, bodies laying everywhere. Both sides of the field played their tales off every play. Can't question the heart of either of these teams, left it all on the field every down! You may question the calls by the refs and decisions made by the coach's but the determination of these two teams can't be doubted. Hornets, hold your heads high, be proud of the accomplishment you achieved because you earned them, all 55 of them.

First off CONGRATS to the Tigers - they were the better team last night. The Tigers were able to do what other schools have not been able to do - take Kirtland out of their comfort zone and beat them at their own game. Kirtland picked a bad night to have their worst game - but much of that was caused by what Versaillis was doing. Just like advertised they were big and physical. I was in the front row behind the Kirtland bench and I can tell you first hand many Hornet players were playing hurt. There will be a lot of players staying in bed Sunday.

The Tigers were able to get the lead early and control the clock which is exactly how Kirtland likes to play. The time of possession was horribly lopsided. The QB played a great game and the team was able to play loose and free because they had the lead. The Hornets just could not get the big stops they needed to get the offense the ball. It's such a game of inches sometimes. The Tigers second TD was just over the defender the 4th down attempt by Kirtland was short by a inch in the 3rd, etc. But the bottom line is that you cannot turn the ball over 4 times against a quality team like Versaillis and expect to win. The Hornets looked desperate at times and resorted to trick plays and that is never good. I felt the Hornets should have run #20 the way the Tigers ran their QB - almost every play.

That being said every streak has to come to an end. The MAC showed what it always does - that it's the premier small school conference in Ohio, period. If you have to lose to a team you want that team to be worthy and the Tigers were. Congrats to Kirtland on another great season and I'm sure kids will start Sunday on next year - sore and all.

I've watched Versailles football since the early 80s when I was on an opposing team. This school, town, region is made to play competitive sports. It's in their blood, their DNA to be winners. They have their unbelievers but in the end they always make converts of them.
Congrats to the Tigers, welcome back!

Stats that jump out to me...

First Downs
Kirtland - 12​
Versailles - 18​
Total Offense Yards
Kirtland - 263​
Versailles - 263​
Total Offense Plays
Kirtland - 44​
Versailles - 63​
Time of Possession
Kirtland - 14:44​
Versailles - 33:16​
Penalties
Kirtland - 8/75​
Versailles - 3/25​

did i hear right, that a bunch of Versailles players got their phones stolen out of the locker room?

I have not seen Versailles play until last night. I am very familiar with Kirtland.

Is there any film of MSL v Versailles from this year? I can't believe anyone beat that team this year, even MSL. They were big, disciplined and physical. Plus, some of those pass receptions were INSANE. Like sportscenter insane.

I have not seen Versailles play until last night. I am very familiar with Kirtland.

Is there any film of MSL v Versailles from this year? I can't believe anyone beat that team this year, even MSL. They were big, disciplined and physical. Plus, some of those pass receptions were INSANE. Like sportscenter insane.

Versailles receivers made some great catches against MSML this year and last year as well. There just wasn't much running room against the MSML defense. It was also a very physical game just like the game last night. Otte was limping around. Buscher got injured that game I believe. I think the Versailles Qb had to sit out a couple drives from getting banged up.

That's the old Versailles. Take out the pass completions. Big, disciplined and very physical. Impressive when they have good coaching. These kids are hard as nails.

Versailles receivers made some great catches against MSML this year and last year as well. There just wasn't much running room against the MSML defense. It was also a very physical game just like the game last night. Otte was limping around. Buscher got injured that game I believe. I think the Versailles Qb had to sit out a couple drives from getting banged up.
Didn't Versailles have a chance, twice, at the end of the game to win it with a FG but chose to go for the TD and got picked off both times?

Didn't Versailles have a chance, twice, at the end of the game to win it with a FG but chose to go for the TD and got picked off both times?
I think that's right--but the only thing I remember about that game is sitting there frozen thinking we'regoingtlosewe'regoingtolosewe'regoingtolose. I couldn't believe how strong V was--I was floored by their sheer brute strength. But...ML made up for it with razor-sharp skills and tactics. They would have never won otherwise.

Status
Not open for further replies.