Division V State Championship: AP #1 Kirtland (14-0) vs. AP #8 Versailles (14-1)

Kirtland or Versailles?

• Kirtland by 17+

Votes: 20 13.8%
  • Kirtland by 10-16

Votes: 49 33.8%
  • Kirtland by 0-9

Votes: 32 22.1%
  • Versailles by 0-9

Votes: 39 26.9%
  • Versailles by 10-16

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • Versailles by 17+

Votes: 4 2.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree with you when you say Kirtland's defense rivals Marion Local's. I will stop short also on saying which is better. I don't see Versailles scoring more than 21 points and it may be fewer than that. So the Tigers defense will have to dig deep and swarm to the ball all night. They haven't seen a rushing attack like Kirtland's yet.
I will counter by saying Kirtland hasn’t seen such a blend of speed, strength, & balance from an offense like Versailles has this season. Some teams have had two of the three elements down really well (South Range comes to mind especially; without the size per se), but not all three. Looking at this week’s stream & having watched the Week 3 game against Marion Local during Kirtland’s bye week, I think the Tigers have all three elements.

On a different note, it sounds like this is one of Marion Local’s better teams in the last couple years. You guys are well on your way to the first 16-0 season, as is our neighbor Chardon (who has a tough matchup with a stingy Badin team).

The last time Kirtland played Maria Stein Marion Local , the Hornets pulled out a 16-7 win in 2018. This year should be a great game.
I remember that game well…Brandon Fleck of MSML was giving me an ulcer making tackle after tackle. Kirtland struggled to get off big runs )even though they won) because they couldn’t get past him

I will counter by saying Kirtland hasn’t seen such a blend of speed, strength, & balance from an offense like Versailles has this season. Some teams have had two of the three elements down really well (South Range comes to mind especially; without the size per se), but not all three. Looking at this week’s stream & having watched the Week 3 game against Marion Local during Kirtland’s bye week, I think the Tigers have all three elements.

On a different note, it sounds like this is one of Marion Local’s better teams in the last couple years. You guys are well on your way to the first 16-0 season, as is our neighbor Chardon (who has a tough matchup with a stingy Badin team).

Versailles has good receivers also, at least the last two years against Marion Local, I've been impressed with them. This is going to be a very good game Saturday night. As fortune has it, they may be saving the best game for last this weekend.

I remember that game well…Brandon Fleck of MSML was giving me an ulcer making tackle after tackle. Kirtland struggled to get off big runs )even though they won) because they couldn’t get past him

Kirtland was just too strong on the line that year and MSML ended up being part of this long winning streak.

I'm really impressed by the Kirtland fans and the MAC fans on this board. You are proud, yet humble. You don't show the arrogance that some other fanbases do--in particular a fan base which has zero state titles. Good luck to everyone.

Just because your high school team is elite does not mean you have to be D-Bag. I love watching teams with great kids that do things the right way. Kirtland has more right then anybody to be arrogant and cocky - but it's not in their DNA. They usually respond to other teams that talk trash online or during the game by winning between the lines.

Thanks BigKat! The press pro magazine is a really great site…I am jealous northeast Ohio doesn’t have similar. I read up on Versailles (as well other MAC teams…they really are the gold standard of divisions). I am really starting to think this is going to be a slobber knocker of a game, similar to Kirtland’s games against MSML (except for the one where they put a running clock on Kirtland?…actually I believe that was Kirtland’s last loss)
This versailles team, is the real thing, they have beat taken beatings for the last few years, and now they have a VERY tough bunch of Seniors , that have been thru them, and have dished it out this season, plus my understanding they have a couple of back to back solid classes coming up.... and they finally gets what Tigerball is all about, I think this will be the best team you play all season.... hope the weather forecast holds out for Sat up in Canton!!!!

This versailles team, is the real thing, they have beat taken beatings for the last few years, and now they have a VERY tough bunch of Seniors , that have been thru them, and have dished it out this season, plus my understanding they have a couple of back to back solid classes coming up.... and they finally gets what Tigerball is all about, I think this will be the best team you play all season.... hope the weather forecast holds out for Sat up in Canton!!!!
Weather forecast looks good so far. Also looks like Versailles chose the right coach in Ryan Jones

Excerpt from Chris Easterling's writeup in The Repository on all the games this weekend.

"Here's who's to watch out for in this game:

Carson Bey, Versailles, quarterback/linebacker​

The two-way standout helped the Tigers return to the state championship game for the 10th time overall, but first since a state runner-up finish in 2004. Bey’s performance this season as a linebacker has been enough to help Versailles to a 14-1 record and just 44 points allowed over five playoff games. It’s also earned him Southwest District Division V Defensive Player of the Year. However, his offense has been where the stats have really popped. Bey’s been the definition of dual-threat quarterback, as he’s been able to hurt opponents both through the air and on the ground. The state semifinal win over Harvest Prep was just the latest example, where he was an efficient 6-of-9 passing for 80 yards, while running for 181 yards on 22 carries.

Landon Henry, Versailles, running back/linebacker​

Henry is just another of a long list of two-way standouts for the Tigers, who come to Canton on the prowl for their seventh state title. Speaking of prowling, that’s what the senior does on defense, much to the chagrin of the opposition. In each of the last two weeks, Henry has come up with a critical interception to help spark Versailles. Two weeks ago in the regional final against Preble Shawnee, he had an interception in the 28-0 victory to go with 8.5 tackles and 51 rushing yards. In the 28-22 state semifinal win over Harvest Prep, he followed up another interception by him with a TD run.

Ramon Lescano, Kirtland, quarterback​

It’s not easy being the new guy behind center on any team. To be the new starting quarterback on a dynasty, though, is a whole different level of pressure. For Lescano, though, that’s not been an issue as he took over for Liam Powers as the QB for the record-setting Hornets. Instead, he’s simply stepped right in and kept the machine rolling along. Lescano will quarterback a team that’s not only looking to win a 56th consecutive football game, but also one that’s eyeing its fourth state title in a row and seventh since 2011. On the season, Lescano has completed 55 of 98 passes for 1,175 yards with 20 TDs and, just as important, only three interceptions. He’s also been a nice counter to record-setting running back Mason Rus with 456 yards and seven TDs on 94 carries. He’s also returned six punts for 83 total yards, including a TD.

Mason Rus, Kirtland, running back/linebacker​

The senior helps power the Hornets defense and running game, the two key components fueling the powerhouse Hornets — winners of 55 straight entering this state title game in Division V. With the Hornets destroying their first two playoff opponents, Rus didn't need to do a whole lot offensively (186 yards on just 23 carries). When the Hornets needed more, though, in the regional semis against Garrettsville Garfield, Rus delivered (31 carries, 234 yards, 2 TDs). He has 1,959 yards and 25 TDs for the season, eclipsing 100 yards in 13 of 14 games. As good as he is running the ball, it's on the other side where he earns his accolades. He was the Northeast Lake District Defensive Player of the Year after making 18 tackles for loss and 78 total tackles in nine regular-season games, despite often sitting out the entire second half of many of Kirtland's routs.
#77 Tyro OFF and DEf line for the Tigers, 6'5" 290, going to Ball State, best lineman in the MAC, seems like he plays pissed off.... real good motor.... is one to watch..

Thanks BigKat! The press pro magazine is a really great site…I am jealous northeast Ohio doesn’t have similar. I read up on Versailles (as well other MAC teams…they really are the gold standard of divisions). I am really starting to think this is going to be a slobber knocker of a game, similar to Kirtland’s games against MSML (except for the one where they put a running clock on Kirtland?…actually I believe that was Kirtland’s last loss)
check their podcast out on press pros, i think they do it on Monday, probably will have a segment in the hour or so show on the HS playoffs.....

#77 Tyro OFF and DEf line for the Tigers, 6'5" 290, going to Ball State, best lineman in the MAC, seems like he plays pissed off.... real good motor.... is one to watch..
Great…now I’m having John Dirksen flashbacks from 2017 all over again. Thanks a lot, @bigkat haha.

Kirtland’s biggest o-lineman has got to be 6’0, 240 & change. That is very concerning to me…

Last edited:
Great…now I’m having John Dirksen flashbacks from 2017 all over again. Thanks a lot, @bigkat haha.

Kirtland’s biggest o-lineman has got to be 6’0, 240 & change. That is very concerning to me…
Yeah Dirksen was very problematic for Kirtland that game…so was their tight end I believe

they have a couple dudes around 250.....

I think there there OFF lineman are the best part of their team...

Taran Tyo #77, 6'3" 300 . He will be in contention for HW D 3 state champion in Wrestling and track discus state champion. He doesn't turn 18 until March.

His brother Dylan is an inside backer on this years team......
By the way watching replay of your game with OG now and the Sullivan kid looks fast....

His brother Dylan is an inside backer on this years team......
By the way watching replay of your game with OG now and the Sullivan kid looks fast....
He is fast. Not the fastest as he plays fullback, but he is fast. Their RB is faster but not as powerful…hence Rus getting the majority of carries

He is fast. Not the fastest as he plays fullback, but he is fast. Their RB is faster but not as powerful…hence Rus getting the majority of carries
Sorry you were talking about Sullivan. Yes he is fast, tall and great hands, which is why he normally plays WR…Kirtland’s RB was hurt in the OG game which is why Sullivan played RB. But Rus, the FB is deceptively fast for a fullback

If
Also if you watch highlights from the 2019 & 2020 title games you will see how good of a WR Sullivan is
If I remember correctly didn’t Sullivan have a pretty good game against Ironton last year? I remember Kirtland had some big splash plays that really helped jump on Ironton last year.

Taran Tyo #77, 6'3" 300 . He will be in contention for HW D 3 state champion in Wrestling and track discus state champion. He doesn't turn 18 until March.
looks bigger then 6'3", and the boy is NOT a overweight type of kid, solid as heck.....by the way , how far has he thrown the disc?

If

If I remember correctly didn’t Sullivan have a pretty good game against Ironton last year? I remember Kirtland had some big splash plays that really helped jump on Ironton last year.
Mason and Gage both had big games including the Half Back pass for a TD. Mason was MVP of the game last year.

It sounds to me like Versailles plays great team-ball which has been one of Kirtland’s greatest strengths the last ten seasons. Asking some MAC fans…given that this is Kirtland’s first time playing Versailles, is there anyone or anything to be on the lookout for that we haven’t seen from a MAC team before?

How about this…for those that are very knowledgeable with the conference, which team would they compare this to? Any of the Coldwater, Marion Local, or Minster teams of the past few years? I saw someone floated that this team similar to Anna’s class of destiny in 2019…is that the best comparison?

It sounds to me like Versailles plays great team-ball which has been one of Kirtland’s greatest strengths the last ten seasons. Asking some MAC fans…given that this is Kirtland’s first time playing Versailles, is there anyone or anything to be on the lookout for that we haven’t seen from a MAC team before?

How about this…for those that are very knowledgeable with the conference, which team would they compare this to? Any of the Coldwater, Marion Local, or Minster teams of the past few years? I saw someone floated that this team similar to Anna’s class of destiny in 2019…is that the best comparison?
From what I’ve read the past couple of days this could look like the Kirtland Coldwater final from 2012. Maybe with a bit more scoring. Something like a 20-17 or 17-14 type of final score. I’m all for it! I’m just excited for this game like everyone else is!

I don't agree with the comparison to Anna, outside of the fact they both seem like teams of destiny.

For myself I would compare them closest to some of the very good Coldwater teams in approach and style.

They are their own unique team and it's unfair to Versailles and the MAC teams of the past to attempt to draw too many comparisons. At their best they will give Kirtland all they can handle, and I would expect a minimum offensive output of around 30 points. At less than their best, Kirtland will control both sides of the ball.

As stated earlier, the key will be how the Tigers offense progresses through the game vs the hornet's defense. Can they force Kirtland to have to score to keep up instead of plodding along with the long drives that end in scores? Something tells me we will know 12 minutes into the game the likely outcome of this one, as that will tell us if Kirtland is in full control or if we have a back and forth last team with ball and fewest mistakes wins scenerio.

"They play great team ball". That is often said of teams who lack the superstar athlete but have few weak spots. That is how I best describe Versailles myself. It's not one or two key players, its 25 -30 who all contribute at a very high level for a school of their size.

just looking at Stats, Tigerball... gave up 52 yards rushing a game, and 128 yards passing a game during the regular season

OFF averaged 249 yards rushing a game and 118 yards passing

Averaged 36 points a game and gave up 9 points a game

led the MAC in Defense total and points a game and rushing a game

the key is the offense line and def line, if they control it...... they have a great chance of winning this game...

not sure how much the Kirtland throws the ball( from what i have seen in the past, not much), but for them to beat the Tigers they will probably have to throw the ball more then they have in the past this season

I agree with you that Versailles will matchup well physically. That offensive line looks mammoth & there are great athletes everywhere based on the Spectrum stream I watched. To me, this game will be very much like the Tigers’ matchup against Marion Local in Week 3. Tigers should have had that one, but ML came up big when it mattered most.

That being said, I think Versailles has the best defense Kirtland has faced this season. I was impressed at their ability to bottle up Harvest Prep’s marquee back, much like how we bottled up Ironton’s running attack in recent years. Versailles also has a great balance on offense much like some of the Marion Local teams we’ve run into in years past. That being said, I think Kirtland rivals Marion Local’s defense (I will stop before saying one is better than the other, as it’s too hard for me to tell).

Score-wise, I would guess something in the 17-14 range one way or the other. Will come down to who makes the big play in the fourth quarter, who controls the ball the longest, and (obviously) who makes the fewest mistakes. Perhaps whoever can crack 20 points first will be the winner…

Another thing I just have to mention…I took some time & went back to read some write-ups on the Versailles teams of the 90s & Al Hetrick and got goosebumps. Why? Because it sounds so eerily similar to the Hornets & Tiger LaVerde. Smashmouth TigerBall is what the Hornets have run for the last ten years; earning them six titles & three runners-up. Versailles heading into this game…? Six titles, and three runners-up. Ryan Jones & this great class of seniors have certainly brought TigerBall back from the sounds of it, and both deserve a ton of credit.

I swear this game was meant to be, and I can’t wait for Saturday night.
What a great comparison. I can definitely see similarities between the Versailles teams of the 90's during their streak and what Kirtland is in the midst of now. I agree with you on the score as well. I almost chose 17-14, but went with 14-10. That TD could be there difference in who wins. Good luck this week! I look forward to seeing Kirtland play each year in the state finals. One of the most enjoyable programs, in my eyes, to watch.

Status
Not open for further replies.