Division V State Championship: AP #1 Kirtland (14-0) vs. AP #8 Versailles (14-1)

Kirtland or Versailles?

• Kirtland by 17+

Votes: 20 13.8%
  • Kirtland by 10-16

Votes: 49 33.8%
  • Kirtland by 0-9

Votes: 32 22.1%
  • Versailles by 0-9

Votes: 39 26.9%
  • Versailles by 10-16

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • Versailles by 17+

Votes: 4 2.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

I would love to see Tigerball end this streak. Alot. I'm concerned about Versailles's ability to matchup physically with Kirtland. But then again, I felt the same way about Minster. Hoping for 3 MAC State titles. But my brain is picking Kirtland.

Kirtland 28
Versailles 21

I would love to see Tigerball end this streak. Alot. I'm concerned about Versailles's ability to matchup physically with Kirtland. But then again, I felt the same way about Minster. Hoping for 3 MAC State titles. But my brain is picking Kirtland.

Kirtland 28
Versailles 21
i would put the Tigers as the most physical team in the Mac at this point in the season....

Kirtland 28
Versailles 21
Saturday will be a fun day for you all. May as well just stay in Canton the whole day & watch three games in a row! Expecting to see a very strong showing on the home side at 7:30.

This is the third straight year Tiger LaVerde will face a Tiger-nicknamed team in the final. How ironic!

To me, and feel free to correct me, I feel this Versailles team is something like the Anna team from a few years back; just a stellar class that returned a ton of talent; a class of destiny if you will. And look where it led them…

I can’t wait for Saturday. Best of luck to your Cavaliers against Carey! Sounds like you guys handled business tonight…

i would put the Tigers as the most physical team in the Mac at this point in the season....

Not quite sure I'd agree with that. Marion Local is pretty darn physical and quicker than Versailles. From what I remember in that week 3 matchup, Versailles didn't really overwhelm MSML physically. The two touchdowns Versailles scored were the result of an interception that put the ball inside Marion's 20 yard line. The other touchdown was the result of a long bomb that put the ball inside the Flyers' 5 yard line. It's not like they pushed Marion around with long sustained drives when they did score. The Flyers shut Versailles out in the second half. I'm concerned that Versailles doesn't have enough overall team speed to beat Kirtland. This will be the best team Kirtland has played this year, but I do give the edge to the Hornets when it's all said and done.

The tigerball fans of old will think they are looking at their old game film in this game.

Kirtland are the MAC slayers and win with comfort.

I haven't been particularly impressed by Versailles margin of victory in their playoff games whereas Kirtland has been completely dominant. And I personally think Kirtland has had a tougher path playing better competition, but that's just my opinion. At any rate after the Kirtland-Garfield game or in the thread for the Kirtland-OG game, time and time again posters were saying that the only team capable of taking down Kirtland was a MAC team. Well, now we get that match-up with the mighty MAC to see if Versailles can hang or gets bowled over like the rest. Should be a great game.

And manhandle d CW 24-7 in the finals.

It was actually 28-7. In 2008, I saw Kirtland play Youngstown Ursuline here in Warren. Ursuline came back and won 18-17, which was by far their toughest game of the postseason as they outscored their last two opponents by a combined score of 56-6 (21-0 at state).

Despite the tough loss at Mollenkopf Stadium, I believe that was the night that Kirtland realized that their program was ready to compete with anybody. Now, they're hotter than ever, which certainly wasn't the case when they lost here. I nearly froze to death at that game!

Well, StateChampion, your prediction has come true.
Looking forward to watching the challenge.
Versailles made a running team pass the ball tonight. Can Versailles make Kirtland pass the ball?

Not quite sure I'd agree with that. Marion Local is pretty darn physical and quicker than Versailles. From what I remember in that week 3 matchup, Versailles didn't really overwhelm MSML physically. The two touchdowns Versailles scored were the result of an interception that put the ball inside Marion's 20 yard line. The other touchdown was the result of a long bomb that put the ball inside the Flyers' 5 yard line. It's not like they pushed Marion around with long sustained drives when they did score. The Flyers shut Versailles out in the second half. I'm concerned that Versailles doesn't have enough overall team speed to beat Kirtland. This will be the best team Kirtland has played this year, but I do give the edge to the Hornets when it's all said and done.
Not sure I agree with that. The difference, besides the two turnovers in the last 2 or 3 minutes 9f the game inside the 30.....was the kick return by ML. Other than that a very close game, edge Tigers. Bit great teams find a way to win. We will find out next Saturday if we are in that category.

The tigerball fans of old will think they are looking at their old game film in this game.

Kirtland are the MAC slayers and win with comfort.
Versailles keeps this one from getting out of control. I do not think Kirtland has the firepower to put a running clock on the Tigers. At least not before the 6:00 mark of the third quarter.

Any school who can get close to a winning record vs MAC competition is by definition a MAC slayer, on this we agree.

I will go with Kirtland 66 Versailles 37.

Versailles keeps this one from getting out of control. I do not think Kirtland has the firepower to put a running clock on the Tigers. At least not before the 6:00 mark of the third quarter.

Any school who can get close to a winning record vs MAC competition is by definition a MAC slayer, on this we agree.

I will go with Kirtland 66 Versailles 37.
Bro no way Kirtland drops 66 on Versailles. This isn’t Ashtabula Lakeside where they dropped 63 on them. This is the state finals. On top of that Kirtland will do what they do. Ball control. This is gonna be a 27-14 type game. I think Versailles keeps it close in the first half but the hornets wear them down.

Bro no way Kirtland drops 66 on Versailles. This isn’t Ashtabula Lakeside where they dropped 63 on them. This is the state finals. On top of that Kirtland will do what they do. Ball control. This is gonna be a 27-14 type game. I think Versailles keeps it close in the first half but the hornets wear them down.
If Kirtland does not go to the spread and throw 30 -40 times they may be in trouble.

Just having to focus on stopping the run may certainly lower the score, but would also potentially be favorable to Versailles.

Not sure I agree with that. The difference, besides the two turnovers in the last 2 or 3 minutes 9f the game inside the 30.....was the kick return by ML. Other than that a very close game, edge Tigers. Bit great teams find a way to win. We will find out next Saturday if we are in that category.

A kick return is one phase of the game. Just like Versailles' long pass completion was one phase of the game. Can't dismiss either. My point is that Versailles was not more physical than MSML. Bigger, yes. But not more physical. Hence Marion's advantage in rushing. The way MSML is playing right now, I believe the two best teams D5 through D7 are Kirtland and MSML. That is just my opinion and I hope Versailles proves me wrong because I am pulling hard for all MAC teams next Saturday.

Last edited:
If Kirtland does not go to the spread and throw 30 -40 times they may be in trouble.

Just having to focus on stopping the run may certainly lower the score, but would also potentially be favorable to Versailles.
Kirtland will definitely not throw the ball 30-40 times. Versailles will be lucky if they throw 5 times. The hornets just do what they do. Pound the ball and wear opponents down. Right now nobody can stop it until someone actually does. Versailles is in the finals for a reason and so is Kirtland. If Versailles is that team that finally stops them I will be the first person to credit Versailles.

Throw 40 times - maybe in a full season. Kirtland is not changing their formula. It's real simple and should be simple to stop - they are running the ball and playing swarming defense. That's it. Don't expect the greatest show on turf to show up out of nowhere.

They will run their power I, run their misdirection and run their sweeps - and IF they see a opportunity they will play action to Sullivan. You can watch game film.from Kirtland from the last 10 years to prepare - it will all look identical. They just execute the plays on offense in a very disciplined and methodical way. They always seem to be in 3rd and short situations and the sticks keep moving. Everyone thinks you just load the box and stop the run - yet nobody in 10+ years has done it. They played sloppy by their standards last night and once again was the smaller team - all they did was blow the team out and rush for 375.

It's worth saying this again -- until you actually play Kirtland you don't know what they really are. The speed with which they run their offense is really impressive. Their defensive soundness is crazy. Their DL is undersized for sure. Garfield and OG were both way bigger. I think they're starting a freshman on the interior because of an injury. The kid will probably end up being a legend, but right now he looks like a freshman. And, yet, all they do is stop you. All they do is block, tackle and execute. On like every single play.

I'm 100% sure that Versailles is way bigger than them. And I'm 100% know Versailles has played some really good teams in the regular season (I think their postseason run was really easy, though). But Kirtland is different.

I have Kirtland winning by something like 24-14.

It's worth saying this again -- until you actually play Kirtland you don't know what they really are. The speed with which they run their offense is really impressive. Their defensive soundness is crazy. Their DL is undersized for sure. Garfield and OG were both way bigger. I think they're starting a freshman on the interior because of an injury. The kid will probably end up being a legend, but right now he looks like a freshman. And, yet, all they do is stop you. All they do is block, tackle and execute. On like every single play.

I'm 100% sure that Versailles is way bigger than them. And I'm 100% know Versailles has played some really good teams in the regular season (I think their postseason run was really easy, though). But Kirtland is different.

I have Kirtland winning by something like 24-14.
We all know how good Kirtland is but they are beatable. Versailles does have good size and decent speed esp. at receiver. Versailles does have a good run defense they will rally to the football. Key for Versailles is the play of the QB, if the Tigers can complete some down field throws, they will win. As far as playoff schedules I predicted Kirtland to def. OG 28 - 7, final was 28 - 6, I would predict Versailles to def. OG by the same margin. This game can go either way, turnovers will probably determine the outcome of who wins.

Versailles won all of their state titles with a simple gameplan... Run the ball down your throat, stifling defense and discipline. Sounds like Kirtland copied that recipe.

This will be a very close game. The team that blinks, loses. Kirtland by a td or less.

Status
Not open for further replies.