Division V Semifinal: R17 South Range (14-0) vs R18 Liberty Center (14-0) at Clyde

Who will advance to the Division V State Championship game?

• South Range

Votes: 78 66.7%
  • Liberty Center

Votes: 39 33.3%

• Total voters
You should be proud of him even if he doesn't play good. Don't be like that dad on Friday Night Lights that bases his son's whole future on his performance in a big-time HS football game. And if it isn't actually your son, you should think of the negative impact it may have on his actual family that may end up reading this.
It is his son and I’m pretty sure he is 100 percent proud of him no matter what the outcome may be

It is his son and I’m pretty sure he is 100 percent proud of him no matter what the outcome may be
Only question I have is, who takes who on the wrestling mat? #62 or the old man 🤭

Friday can’t get here fast enough. I’ll gladly pay the OHSAA fee to stream this game.

Yeah. Kirtland is an awesome program. Marion is a little better and this year I think MSML is actually a couple scores better this particular season

But you're talking about arguably the top 2 programs in the entire state, regardless of division.
I don't think think either team would have anything for the remaining teams in D-I and D-II this year. However they are probably better than everyone in D-III except for the top group of teams, only Tipp, Badin, Chardon, Canfield, Ursuline, maybe a couple others. Then for D-IV they are probably better than everyone but Glenville, Van Wert, West Holmes and maybe a couple others as well. They both have everyone from D-V down covered most likely.

I don't think think either team would have anything for the remaining teams in D-I and D-II this year. However they are probably better than everyone in D-III except for the top group of teams, only Tipp, Badin, Chardon, Canfield, Ursuline, maybe a couple others. Then for D-IV they are probably better than everyone but Glenville, Van Wert, West Holmes and maybe a couple others as well. They both have everyone from D-V down covered most likely.
When is the last time any of the teams you mentioned won their region 3 or 4 times in a row? Better program = more consistently winning no matter who is on the field for them. I don't think OP was saying Kirtland was going to beat the hell out of Ignatius if they played next week.

When is the last time any of the teams you mentioned won their region 3 or 4 times in a row? Better program = more consistently winning no matter who is on the field for them. I don't think OP was saying Kirtland was going to beat the hell out of Ignatius if they played next week.
You would be surprised, there was someone on here that earlier this year claimed Marion Local was top 10 in the state irrespective of division this year.

Some factoids:

*The South Range-Liberty Center matchup is the only of 14 semifinal games pitting a pair of 14-0 teams.

*South Range and Liberty Center also share similar numbers. In fact, both schools rank in the top five in Division V in both points scored (South Range 598, Liberty Center 549) and points given up (South Range 123, Liberty Center 126). The Raiders’ 42.7 points-per-game average is tops in Division V. Liberty Center's points allowed include last week's game, so massively impressive.

*I did not know LC's head coach took over for a legend and is now making his own mark. That's pretty cool. For SR, they still have their "legend" ins Dan Yeagley -- he was picked for the Ohio High School Football Coaches Association Hall of Fame this past summer. His career record is 246-74. This year was the 10th time that Yeagley led the Raiders to a 10-0 regular season in his 28-year stint. It was the 11th time he reached double-digit wins in a season.

So, not only are you looking at arguably the best semifinal matchup in the state this week (maybe Hoban-Massillon), you're also looking at two programs that have a long history of just being good. Pretty cool.
The coach for LC is in his 6th season as head coach but was with the Hall of Famer coach Lingruen for 18 years before he retired. He has kept the Wing-T offense but has added some other formations which you will see during the game.

I see a lot of talk about Kirkland and ML but i guess it comes down to which side of the state you're on. I know both are powerhouse football teams. I see them in the rankings every year. From my side of the state, it's ML and the MAC Legue they come from. That League in its self is a powerhouse. Playing Coldwater was like going into a state championship game for us knowing where they came from. The funny thing is, and I think most in our area would thing the same is, when you know you're going to play someone from the MAC, you already think you 7 points down before you even get to the game and 14 points down when the ball is kickoff.

ive been a Liberty Center fan since 1999, and all of us need to come to the conclusion that the raiders are giving our tigers a good old 1999 butt whopping
Well not sure it will be a butt whopping. I think we are the underdog, but we have been here before and pulled it out. The game still needs to be played until the clock hits zeros. The weather may play a part, Injury's (let's hope not), penalties, turnovers, and most importantly how each team prepares for the other. Neither one knows the other and the films will not tell either one anything. I believe this will be a low scoring defensive battle if both teams make no mistakes. The line of scrimmage is where this game will be won or lost. The team that wins that, wins this game. I also think the state champion comes from this game.

Ain’t no way #ole 56 can hang with #62

I have a suspicion that "ole #56" was playing for LC the last time I saw them play in person. That was 24 years ago in the D5 title game. The three title games LC has played in are the only times I have seen them play in person. I saw highlights of the 43-0 beatdown they put on JFK in the semifinals in 98. Since I have only seen a few clips of them this season it is difficult to talk about match-ups, strengths, weaknesses, etc. As soon as I saw the 34-0 score over Coldwater, without knowing any details of the game, my first thought was "LC is going to be a problem."

This should be a great game. Good luck to both teams, no injuries.

GO RAIDERS!

The statement about being the two best programs wasn't intended as an absolute statement, but a relative statement measuring year-in-year-out success.

No kidding -- St. Ed's or Moeller would annhilate either team. Duh. But in terms of pure winning, you can't beat MSML and I think Kirtland is in the conversation for #2.

You would be surprised, there was someone on here that earlier this year claimed Marion Local was top 10 in the state irrespective of division this year.
Just adding that it’s not entirely outlandish. Drew Pasteur, who is pretty well respected, has ML 11th currently, in all of Ohio. I’m sure the ML Kirtland thread will begin soon; I’d like to focus on SR and LC here.

Will be a physical game. LC offensive and defensive lines are pretty impressive. I’m sure both coaches will have the kids prepared and it would be easy to get kids excited about this one! Hopefully everyone’s healthy and we enjoy a hard fought game Friday. Go Raiders!

Not sure why the negative attitude about Clyde’s stadium. It is far superior than most any D5 school in the state has great access and parking is not a problem like so many venues. Compared to many sites this is fantastic. How about losing the negative vibe and be thankful to be still playing. And no I don’t live anywhere near Clyde
Enjoy the game.

Passing game for LC has been when needed not worried about throwing out routes or te seam passes LC will throw when they want Zeiter is around 1400 yds and 16TDS 6INTs rushing around 900 yds. Top receivers statistically are Chapa & Cruse but Chambers and Hammontree are also in the mix.

Just adding that it’s not entirely outlandish. Drew Pasteur, who is pretty well respected, has ML 11th currently, in all of Ohio. I’m sure the ML Kirtland thread will begin soon; I’d like to focus on SR and LC here.
Drew has mentioned that the algorithm is a little flawed and over estimates the strength of some lower division teams, and doesn't account for depth/injuries/2-way players and other factors that would come into play.
The system works fine for most situations generally, but it isn't perfect, Drew has done an outstanding job over the years and you have to give him a lot of credit, but you have to also understand the limitations of his algorithms and data.
In other words it is not realistic that ML or Kirtland could win a state championship in D-I or D-II l. And anyone who believes otherwise is not very smart.

Back to SR vs L-C, I think L-C will need a key player for SR to get injured like Skirpac to win this game.

Back to SR vs L-C, I think L-C will need a key player for SR to get injured like Skirpac to win this game.
I wouldn’t wish that on my opponent or anyone we(LC fans) want a healthy injury free game. Don’t need people trolling on the next game because of coulda woulda shoulda because of an injury. I remember in 1998 when Warren JFK didn’t want any film on LC because they were gonna destroy LC. 43-0 LC win later I would say know thy opponent and respect the Opponent. Go TIGERS! #foreachother

Since people keep mentioning Canfield so much, I just wanted to drop this little nugget. OG Canfield "Cardinals" is in the D3 Final Four. They played Ursuline earlier in the playoff, and it's not like they struggled with Ursuline, but they played them close. Most everyone would agree that Ursuline is just slightly better than Cardinal Mooney and some would say Mooney could beat Ursuline. South Range absolutely boat raced Mooney...

By that logic, it would seem that South Range would be capable of beating Canfield who could potentially be a D3 State Champ. I don't think they will, but they are one of the last 4 standing so close enough.

We all know what South Range did to Jefferson Area who is a D4 Final Four team. I think just based on this alone we have to agree South Range is a legitimate D5 title contender and no one has played them close all year for a reason.

When it comes to stopping the power run game and the Wing T offense, I'm pretty sure Coach Yeagley knows how to stop it. If I'm not mistaken, South Range ran the Wing T for many years back in the day under their current head coach, who is fantastic by the way. It's not the case for this year's team, but I remember watching games in the past where South Range literally won by being better prepared and executing a better game plan than the other team/coach who was much more talented/bigger/faster etc.

To sum it up they pretty much have it all.

Good luck to Liberty Center!

I wouldn’t wish that on my opponent or anyone we(LC fans) want a healthy injury free game. Don’t need people trolling on the next game because of coulda woulda shoulda because of an injury. I remember in 1998 when Warren JFK didn’t want any film on LC because they were gonna destroy LC. 43-0 LC win later I would say know thy opponent and respect the Opponent. Go TIGERS! #foreachother
I believe Simkon is a Canfield Cardinal guy not a SR guy. So please don’t take that comment as a reflection of how SR feels. No sane person would wish an injury to high school kids. Was the weirdest of comments especially naming our QB.
I think you’ll find at the game that the SR supporters are very respectful and are expecting a great close game. I’ve watched 3 LC films and they are good. Particularly on the OL/DL. Will be our biggest test of the season. Best of luck and hope both teams come out a winner.

I believe Simkon is a Canfield Cardinal guy not a SR guy. So please don’t take that comment as a reflection of how SR feels. No sane person would wish an injury to high school kids. Was the weirdest of comments especially naming our QB.
I think you’ll find at the game that the SR supporters are very respectful and are expecting a great close game. I’ve watched 3 LC films and they are good. Particularly on the OL/DL. Will be our biggest test of the season. Best of luck and hope both teams come out a winner.
I am not saying I hope Skirpac gets injured, just saying I don't see SR losing unless he or perhaps another key player or two gets injured. I am not wishing for players to get injured from either team. But I can only see L-C winning if SR has to play with its back up QB most of the game or without a couple others.

I am not saying I hope Skirpac gets injured, just saying I don't see SR losing unless he or perhaps another key player or two gets injured. I am not wishing for players to get injured from either team. But I can only see L-C winning if SR has to play with its back up QB most of the game or without a couple others.

The ball is oblong and it's bounce can not be predicted. A couple untimely turnovers by SR could be just as detrimental. LC gave up three turnovers to Elmwood last week inside the LC 30. It almost cost the the game.

This game will come down to which coaches put their players in the best situations to execute and then the players fulfilling their assignments. Not more or less.

Since people keep mentioning Canfield so much, I just wanted to drop this little nugget. OG Canfield "Cardinals" is in the D3 Final Four. They played Ursuline earlier in the playoff, and it's not like they struggled with Ursuline, but they played them close. Most everyone would agree that Ursuline is just slightly better than Cardinal Mooney and some would say Mooney could beat Ursuline. South Range absolutely boat raced Mooney...

By that logic, it would seem that South Range would be capable of beating Canfield who could potentially be a D3 State Champ. I don't think they will, but they are one of the last 4 standing so close enough.

We all know what South Range did to Jefferson Area who is a D4 Final Four team. I think just based on this alone we have to agree South Range is a legitimate D5 title contender and no one has played them close all year for a reason.

When it comes to stopping the power run game and the Wing T offense, I'm pretty sure Coach Yeagley knows how to stop it. If I'm not mistaken, South Range ran the Wing T for many years back in the day under their current head coach, who is fantastic by the way. It's not the case for this year's team, but I remember watching games in the past where South Range literally won by being better prepared and executing a better game plan than the other team/coach who was much more talented/bigger/faster etc.
This is one of the rare seasons where Canfield and South Range could play, and it would be a great game. Most years it would be tough for the Raiders to compete against a program like Canfield. They did play a few times back in the early 90's I believe. And if I remember correctly, the Cardinals won something like 3 out of 4 games. That was before Canfield was a regional powerhouse.

I don't know if Jefferson is a good measuring stick. The Falcons gained tremendous confidence by beating Poland a second time and then knocking off Girard, who beat them in the regular season. In other words, Jefferson is a different team than they were back in week 8 when South Range played them.

And you are correct, I think coach Yeagley and his staff are VERY well educated on the wing-T. But it is an offense with multiple wrinkles that a defense has to play disciplined. Hopefully, the Raider players will execute the assignments that they practiced this week.

And Simkon is still an ***hole for even saying anything about getting hurt.
Hope for a great game good luck to South Range and Jefferson representing the NE8
A league Canfield wishes they could take 2nd or 3rd place in
***HOLE

This is one of the rare seasons where Canfield and South Range could play, and it would be a great game. Most years it would be tough for the Raiders to compete against a program like Canfield. They did play a few times back in the early 90's I believe. And if I remember correctly, the Cardinals won something like 3 out of 4 games. That was before Canfield was a regional powerhouse.

I don't know if Jefferson is a good measuring stick. The Falcons gained tremendous confidence by beating Poland a second time and then knocking off Girard, who beat them in the regular season. In other words, Jefferson is a different team than they were back in week 8 when South Range played them.

And you are correct, I think coach Yeagley and his staff are VERY well educated on the wing-T. But it is an offense with multiple wrinkles that a defense has to play disciplined. Hopefully, the Raider players will execute the assignments that they practiced this week.
It is my belief that South Range would have beat Canfield without a shadow of a doubt earlier in the season. Now that Canfield has finally hit it's stride and has all it's ducks in a row so to speak, Canfield would probably win by 1 score, maybe 2, but it wouldn't be to surprising if South Range pulled out a narrow victory if they were to play now. South Range is best described as a well oiled machine. They did have the one off week however where they had their share of issues that could have conceivably cost them the game.