Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Brookville - 8-3

Votes: 3 8.1%
  • Greenon - 6-4

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Bless Em All

2022 regional alignments have been released and Division V, Region 20 is rare opportunity for someone to win a regional title that hasn't before. There is no Taft, Coldwater, Versailles, etc. in this region to content with.

Team with 2021 record; discussion.

My top 12:
1. Milton-Union
2. Valley View
3. Preble Shawnee
4. Brookville
5. Mariemont
6. Greeneview
7. Zane Trace
8. Springfield Northeastern
9. Waynesville
10. Carlisle
11. Purcell Marian
12. Greenon

Last edited:

I like to go on league pages and see what grade a team's all-conference players were in. If they were mostly underclassmen, seniors, or a mix.
That is certainly not definitive, but a part of the picture.

I'll go with 3 tiers:
favorites:
Milton-Union - returns 8 kids who were 1st team all-league (4 were all state), and 4 more 2nd team. 8 starters back on D, 9 on O.
Valley View - loses some key players (Ferguson and Cotterman!) but QB and RB both back and very good
Brookville - Beat Valley View by 14 last year, MU beat VV by 4.
Preble Shawnee -Really loses 1 key RB from last years team. Easier schedule than the other 3 could hurt, but will be very good.

threats:
Mariemont - beat Blan by 26 in the playoffs last year.
Greeneview - good returners, 10 point loss to Mechanicsburg in 2021 playoffs shows promise. coming up from d6
Purcell Marian - lost some pieces, but Goodloe and a few other standouts return
Zane Trace - I am incredibly unfamiliar with them. Maybe they're great. I'll put them here based on last years results

dark horses:
Waynesville - yet to perform at the level of the last 2 coaching staffs. Maybe this year it all clicks
Northeastern - beat up on some bad teams in '21. I think they lost a good class.
Carlisle - beat teams their size or smaller in '21, lost to bigger teams. Was that a good class or is the triple now a threat there?
Blanchester -Will be better, but have a way to go to catch the front of their league and look like a real threat

I am sure this means nothing (I predicted Covington would go 9-1 last year..they went 1-9) but it is fun to try!

Last edited:
I like to go on league pages and see what grade a team's all-conference players were in. If they were mostly underclassmen, seniors, or a mix.
That is certainly not definitive, but a part of the picture.

I'll go with 3 tiers:
favorites:
Milton-Union - returns 8 kids who were 1st team all-league (4 were all state), and 4 more 2nd team. 8 starters back on D, 9 on O.
Valley View - loses some key players (Ferguson and Cotterman!) but QB and RB both back and very good
Brookville - Beat Valley View by 14 last year, MU beat VV by 4.
Preble Shawnee -Really loses 1 key RB from last years team. Easier schedule than the other 3 could hurt, but will be very good.

threats:
Mariemont - beat Blan by 26 in the playoffs last year.
Greeneview - good returners, 10 point loss to Mechanicsburg in 2021 playoffs shows promise. coming up from d6
Purcell Marian - lost some pieces, but Goodloe and a few other standouts return
Zane Trace - I am incredibly unfamiliar with them. Maybe they're great. I'll put them here based on last years results

dark horses:
Waynesville - yet to perform at the level of the last 2 coaching staffs. Maybe this year it all clicks
Northeastern - beat up on some bad teams in '21. I think they lost a good class.
Carlisle - beat teams their size or smaller in '21, lost to bigger teams. Was that a good class or is the triple now a threat there?
Blanchester -Will be better, but have a way to go to catch the front of their league and look like a real threat

I am sure this means nothing (I predicted Covington would go 9-1 last year..they went 1-9) but it is fun to try!
Love this breakdown and agree on most. I agree on your top tier. I saw MU last year and if they stay semi injury free that is gonna be a very, very good team. They are my pick to win the region.
Zane Trace did lose their QB but had a really good Sophomore in waiting so will depend how long it takes him to get his feet wet. They have a very good coaching staff as well that does feature former Amanda Clearcreek HC Ron Hinton as one of the assistants. Their league is very solid so not sure how much they will be tested besides Paint Valley.
Pretty sure Waynesville returns a great deal as well. Mariemont always seems to struggle come playoff time.

my tiers:

top tier:
Milton Union
- return a ton of talented players. well coached. schedule sets them up for a high seed.
Valley View- always competitive. they have talent. new coach is a Skidmore disciple. some question marks, but should be very good.
Preble Shawnee- QB is a complete stud. should finish 10-0. proved last year they can beat some good teams

second tier:
Greeneview
- almost everyone back from a squad who won the league and had #1 seed Mechanicsburg on the ropes. very well coached and run the ball as good as anyone.
Brookville- such a talented squad. a lot of speed. also well coached. will be battle tested playing some tough SWBL teams and Anna. but they always seem to disappoint in the playoffs.
Zane Trace- only challenged by Paint Valley in the league. they were very good last year. i don’t know a ton about them, but they deserve to be here based off last year.

won’t win the region, but have the potential to make some noise
Mariemont
- seem to have solid teams every year but haven’t beat a “great” team in the playoffs yet
Waynesville- not sure what they bring back. might be good. more question marks. have won some big games recently.
Blanchester- usually do well with pretty easy regular season schedule but not much playoff noise.
Northeastern- tons of talent coming back. if they’re going to have a great year, this is the one for them.
Greenon- losing a good bit so most roster question marks they’ve had in awhile. well coached and can keep games close on defense.
Purcell Marian- athletic team, don’t know what they return. were decent last year.
Carlisle- big playoff upset last year. the SWBL will test them early and often. but by running the triple option well they can keep low scoring games close. need to be more consistent. true dark horse team.

Shawnee and MU are familiar with each other from the SWBL days. I’m not sure how this team from Milton faired vs Shawnee current team. I can’t remember the last loss to Shawnee. Wasn’t that long ago.
I think MU will be much stronger on defense and the depth the Dogs will bring could make the difference vs Valley View and Shawnee.
I think Shawnee will finish 10-0 again and push to win the Region. I like them to beat everyone they play in league by at least 14. TriVillage and Arcanum will push them.
Their nc schedule isn’t that tough with Miami East on the slate. Meanwhile, Milton travels to Gtown and welcomes Oakwood. The league slate for MU will be a chance to build depth and stay healthy. I really don’t see a single team in the TRC giving the Dogs a game. Maybe Bethel if they get a bunch of transfers or Riverside with their QB and tradition. I just think the Dogs have too much for these teams. After Oakwood, which I think is a trap game again, the sailing SHOULD be smooth. Milton hasn’t finished 10-0 since 1982 when they beat Versailles, 8-0, in the first year of the SRC. 40 years ago…I’m getting old!
MU week-to-week predictions:
vs. Nat Trail (away) MU 56-0
vs. Valley View (away) MU 22-16
vs. Oakwood (home) MU 35-17
vs. Lehman Catholic (home) MU 56-7
vs. Troy Christian (home) MU 42-3
vs. Miami East (away) MU 42-6
vs. Covington (away) MU 49-8
vs. Bethel (home) MU 42-6
vs. Northridge (away) MU 49-0
vs. Riverside (home) MU 44-7
##yes, had some free time this morning…?

Last edited:
I still don't understand why high schools struggle at the XP. Can't you at least get the best kicker on the soccer team to kick on Friday night?
i’m pretty sure all of Greenons kickers last 5 years are on the soccer team

why more schools haven’t thought to do this is a big mystery!

Last edited:
I still don't understand why high schools struggle at the XP. Can't you at least get the best kicker on the soccer team to kick on Friday night?
Milton's kicker was 1st team all state. Eaton blocked the first XP, and MU went for 2 and failed on the 2nd.

MU also played without their leading rusher. To be fair, Eaton had a QB injured too. Eaton missed their kid less than MU did. Part of the game.

Shawnee and MU are familiar with each other from the SWBL days. I’m not sure how this team from Milton faired vs Shawnee current team. I can’t remember the last loss to Shawnee. Wasn’t that long ago.
I think MU will be much stronger on defense and the depth the Dogs will bring could make the difference vs Valley View and Shawnee.
I think Shawnee will finish 10-0 again and push to win the Region. I like them to beat everyone they play in league by at least 14. TriVillage and Arcanum will push them.
Their nc schedule isn’t that tough with Miami East on the slate. Meanwhile, Milton travels to Gtown and welcomes Oakwood. The league slate for MU will be a chance to build depth and stay healthy. I really don’t see a single team in the TRC giving the Dogs a game. Maybe Bethel if they get a bunch of transfers or Riverside with their QB and tradition. I just think the Dogs have too much for these teams. After Oakwood, which I think is a trap game again, the sailing SHOULD be smooth. Milton hasn’t finished 10-0 since 1982 when they beat Versailles, 8-0, in the first year of the SRC. 40 years ago…I’m getting old!
MU week-to-week predictions:
vs. Nat Trail (away) MU 56-0
vs. Valley View (away) MU 22-16
vs. Oakwood (home) MU 35-17
vs. Lehman Catholic (home) MU 56-7
vs. Troy Christian (home) MU 42-3
vs. Miami East (away) MU 42-6
vs. Covington (away) MU 49-8
vs. Bethel (home) MU 42-6
vs. Northridge (away) MU 49-0
vs. Riverside (home) MU 44-7
##yes, had some free time this morning…?
I see VV as the best team come playoff time . I’m not saying they’ll go undefeated in the regular season but they’ll have played by far the harder schedule than anyone in contention for region 20 and they’ll be better for it . I heard MUs Coach Pearce was talking several months back at a coaches clinic about how they were a very small D4 and thought they’d be D5 this upcoming season and was shell shocked when he was told VV would be dropping as well .
This won’t be VV from last year with Mr 1 and done at the helm , what a fiasco … did you guys get the news that VVs Superintendent that organized all the football coaching shenanigans has left the building ? He’s the Super at Tiffin now . Also the AD he brought in bounced last week . Things are getting back to normal at the View .
-Brookville is always solid no matter how much or lack there of on talent . Plus they’ll be battle tested.
-PS is good but Tri Village will be there only test with Arcanum having a new Coach and system , same with Ansonia
- MU has an absolute Stud in the Brumbaugh kid and returns a lot which bodes extremely well for them .

it’ll b fun to watch it unfold

Eaton played well at home. Giving MU credit, they played well but the special teams mistakes will kill you in the playoffs. I have no doubt that Valley View will be there in the playoffs. It’s tradition there.

I see VV as the best team come playoff time . I’m not saying they’ll go undefeated in the regular season but they’ll have played by far the harder schedule than anyone in contention for region 20 and they’ll be better for it . I heard MUs Coach Pearce was talking several months back at a coaches clinic about how they were a very small D4 and thought they’d be D5 this upcoming season and was shell shocked when he was told VV would be dropping as well .
This won’t be VV from last year with Mr 1 and done at the helm , what a fiasco … did you guys get the news that VVs Superintendent that organized all the football coaching shenanigans has left the building ? He’s the Super at Tiffin now . Also the AD he brought in bounced last week . Things are getting back to normal at the View .
-Brookville is always solid no matter how much or lack there of on talent . Plus they’ll be battle tested.
-PS is good but Tri Village will be there only test with Arcanum having a new Coach and system , same with Ansonia
- MU has an absolute Stud in the Brumbaugh kid and returns a lot which bodes extremely well for them .

it’ll b fun to watch it unfold
Was this coaches clinic before or after they beat Valley View? Just wondering… Pearce loves the competition and would never be shell shocked over Valley View or any school. He probably thought that the community was bigger than that. Don’t go adding more locker room quotes for them.
I love the rivalry.

Was this coaches clinic before or after they beat Valley View? Just wondering… Pearce loves the competition and would never be shell shocked over Valley View or any school. He probably thought that the community was bigger than that. Don’t go adding more locker room quotes for them.
I love the rivalry.
I was told Spring of this year in Cincinnati.
last 5 games
VV 36-19 2018
VV 49-48 2019
VV 57-14 2020
VV 35-0 in playoffs 2020
MU 26-22 2021
they've had serious troubles stopping VV. Last season was a disaster for VV football but it’s back now . But yes MU has the current bragging rights .

last 5 games
VV 36-19 2018
VV 49-48 2019
VV 57-14 2020
VV 35-0 in playoffs 2020
MU 26-22 2021
they've had serious troubles stopping VV. Last season was a disaster for VV football but it’s back now . But yes MU has the current bragging rights .
True, but...the DC for MU '18-'20 is no longer with the team. In '21 MU brought back Antonides as DC (also brought back Dickison and Blackburn). It is now most of the staff from 2005-2012.
If you get to bring up new (old) coaching, so do we! :cool:

Last edited:
MU beats VV this year. VV dropping to D5 helps them come playoff time. But next year (fall 23) they have a problem. Having crossover games with Edgewood and Ross is brutal. IF playoff system was at 8, they wouldn't even make playoffs. Since its at 16, they will make it every year they are in D5. I'm not saying this to be mean, VV is a great area with huge traditions. But they seem to live in the past a lot. They will always be successful or over .500 but the days of deep playoff runs are over. MU has built their program up, I can see them winning the TRC for years to come and making a push

I was told Spring of this year in Cincinnati.
last 5 games
VV 36-19 2018
VV 49-48 2019
VV 57-14 2020
VV 35-0 in playoffs 2020
MU 26-22 2021
Let’s go all the way back to the old SWBL and look at how MU used to destroy Valley View. It’s high school football and Valley View has had its ups and downs along with MU. Lack of respect for an opponent is a huge mistake.
I’m sure the Dogs have circled the game in GTown as their highest priority, rightfully so. It’s a great program! That’s a hard place to play and win.
But to say Pearce was “shell shocked” is a stretch. They didn’t even know the CB numbers at that time. I know coach Pearce and he is a gamer, meaning, he will take on any challenger. He welcomes the challenge of playing VV.
Skidmore was a good coach and had success, but, all I heard before the ‘21 season was how great this new coach was and how Valley View was going to walk over MU. Not so.
I think I’d give the new coach some slack if I were VV. They have a rough schedule.

Let’s go all the way back to the old SWBL and look at how MU used to destroy Valley View. It’s high school football and Valley View has had its ups and downs along with MU. Lack of respect for an opponent is a huge mistake.
I’m sure the Dogs have circled the game in GTown as their highest priority, rightfully so. It’s a great program! That’s a hard place to play and win.
But to say Pearce was “shell shocked” is a stretch. They didn’t even know the CB numbers at that time. I know coach Pearce and he is a gamer, meaning, he will take on any challenger. He welcomes the challenge of playing VV.
Skidmore was a good coach and had success, but, all I heard before the ‘21 season was how great this new coach was and how Valley View was going to walk over MU. Not so.
I think I’d give the new coach some slack if I were VV. They have a rough schedule.
I gave you the scores from the last 4 years which might have some relevance to VV vs MU for this season . Most the staff is back at VV that coached during that period EXCEPT for last season . In a game MU won by 4 . BTW their fake punt was an illegal formation that went uncalled and allowed a first down on a TD drive . Not an excuse for a loss but is just a fact from the game including 26-22 MU win being fact . You’re friends with Coach Pearce ? Ask him about that fake punt vs VV I’m sure you’ll get a good laugh after he tells you about it . I understand him to be a great coach and a good human being . I mean absolutely no disrespect to him or his program . The “shell shocked” comment was real . Coach Pearce knows who’s back in Gtown , not saying he’s scared but like I showed you in the scores of recent games - MU didn’t fare well . I would imagine VV getting out of region 16 with some great teams was somewhat of a relief ? Doesn’t make you scared . You want the #1 seed or #8 ? I hope you’re getting my point . He knew he was going D5

I’m sorry if you weren’t informed but some people knew the CB numbers for their schools several months back including Pearce , What they didn’t know was if D1 was getting expansion and or if CB numbers would remain the same .

As far as Coach Moyer from last year at VV , obviously you were misinformed . That was a complete train wreck . The School Board has flipped, Superintendent has dipped and AD has left town . They screwed up a good thing , but now it’s back thankfully .

I do respect your opinion and passion for MU . My opinion is if both teams are healthy for a week 2 game that VV will be better prepared and win the game .
Some will say VV lives in the past and that’s fine . 3 State Championships is 3 more than
Most . I’m not going to into records and playoff appearances and Reginal and Semi finalists appearances . You can google it . If you don’t think they’ve been good in recent years you’re lying to yourself or jealous …

I gave you the scores from the last 4 years which might have some relevance to VV vs MU for this season . Most the staff is back at VV that coached during that period EXCEPT for last season . In a game MU won by 4 . BTW their fake punt was an illegal formation that went uncalled and allowed a first down on a TD drive . Not an excuse for a loss but is just a fact from the game including 26-22 MU win being fact . You’re friends with Coach Pearce ? Ask him about that fake punt vs VV I’m sure you’ll get a good laugh after he tells you about it . I understand him to be a great coach and a good human being . I mean absolutely no disrespect to him or his program . The “shell shocked” comment was real . Coach Pearce knows who’s back in Gtown , not saying he’s scared but like I showed you in the scores of recent games - MU didn’t fare well . I would imagine VV getting out of region 16 with some great teams was somewhat of a relief ? Doesn’t make you scared . You want the #1 seed or #8 ? I hope you’re getting my point . He knew he was going D5

I’m sorry if you weren’t informed but some people knew the CB numbers for their schools several months back including Pearce , What they didn’t know was if D1 was getting expansion and or if CB numbers would remain the same .

As far as Coach Moyer from last year at VV , obviously you were misinformed . That was a complete train wreck . The School Board has flipped, Superintendent has dipped and AD has left town . They screwed up a good thing , but now it’s back thankfully .

I do respect your opinion and passion for MU . My opinion is if both teams are healthy for a week 2 game that VV will be better prepared and win the game .
Some will say VV lives in the past and that’s fine . 3 State Championships is 3 more than
Most . I’m not going to into records and playoff appearances and Reginal and Semi finalists appearances . You can google it . If you don’t think they’ve been good in recent years you’re lying to yourself or jealous …
VV better hire a Super who is from Gtown then. Because last year will happen again over a span of a few years. Gtown doesn't like "outsiders". Never has.

MU beats VV this year. VV dropping to D5 helps them come playoff time. But next year (fall 23) they have a problem. Having crossover games with Edgewood and Ross is brutal. IF playoff system was at 8, they wouldn't even make playoffs. Since its at 16, they will make it every year they are in D5. I'm not saying this to be mean, VV is a great area with huge traditions. But they seem to live in the past a lot. They will always be successful or over .500 but the days of deep playoff runs are over. MU has built their program up, I can see them winning the TRC for years to come and making a push
WOACDADDY ! You can be mean if you want I’ll be OK . They played Ross last year in a close game and play again this season week 3 . Edgewood will obviously be a challenge but that’s how you get better and prepared for the playoffs .

I mentioned it in my previous post but since they live in the past in Gtown why don’t you do us all a favor and look up the last say 5 or 6 seasons and post their record and playoff wins/losses so we all can see ? I think you’d change your tune .

MU has a Good Coach in Pearce and he’s highly regarded in the Gtown area I promise you that . But what have they built ? They moved to a league that is not very good gentlemen . They should be in the running for that league as long as they’re in it and Pearce is at the helm . That’s not me being mean either that’s the truth .

I guess your interpretation of "shell shocked" is the question.
Pearce knew MU was going d5. He was surprised to hear VV was as well. Shell shocked makes him seem scared. I think if you'd have used "surprised" this wouldn't have been an issue with some of us.

You are still giving VV all the credit in the world for having their old coaching staff back, and none to MU for the same thing. Questionable.

And stuff like missed calls on fake punts happen, just like phantom OPI happens (cough, cough, 2019). One happened on the first drive of the game and gave the whole rest of the game to recover from. The other took away the winning TD on the last play of regulation.

I do think the VV kids took MU lightly last year (how could you not after 2020?) and I don't expect that will happen again this year.

Last edited:
I guess your interpretation of "shell shocked" is the question.
Pearce knew MU was going d5. He was surprised to hear VV was as well. Shell shocked makes him seem scared. I think if you'd have used "surprised" this wouldn't have been an issue with some of us.

You are still giving VV all the credit in the world for having their old coaching staff back, and none to MU for the same thing. Questionable.

And stuff like missed calls on fake punts happen, just like phantom OPI happens (cough, cough, 2019). One happened on the first drive of the game and gave the whole rest of the game to recover from. The other took away the winning TD on the last play of regulation.

I do think the VV kids took MU lightly last year (how could you not after 2020?) and I don't expect that will happen again this year.
You’re right about the shell shocked comment but that’s how it was relayed to me . Surprised would have been a better choice of words .

that 2019 game was crazy . Brumbaugh was just a freshman playing Corner on D . VV goes for 2 and the win in OT . VV ran a Halfback toss pass as the 2point conversion and got Brumbaugh to bite on the run and threw it over his head for the win. I’ll say it again though , Brumbaugh is a Stud

2018 was a game where MU led at the half. The score makes it look like a worse game than it was.
2020 was the only year the games weren't close.
I expect this year's game to be a good one too. Maybe twice.

2018 was a game where MU led at the half. The score makes it look like a worse game than it was.
2020 was the only year the games weren't close.
I expect this year's game to be a good one too. Maybe twice.
2018 POURING the rain , MUs run game was working it in the first half , VV turned it up in the second Half . Don’t remember the halftime score but I do remember MU being up .I believe MU had a great Nose Tackle that year

WOACDADDY ! You can be mean if you want I’ll be OK . They played Ross last year in a close game and play again this season week 3 . Edgewood will obviously be a challenge but that’s how you get better and prepared for the playoffs .

I mentioned it in my previous post but since they live in the past in Gtown why don’t you do us all a favor and look up the last say 5 or 6 seasons and post their record and playoff wins/losses so we all can see ? I think you’d change your tune .

MU has a Good Coach in Pearce and he’s highly regarded in the Gtown area I promise you that . But what have they built ? They moved to a league that is not very good gentlemen . They should be in the running for that league as long as they’re in it and Pearce is at the helm . That’s not me being mean either that’s the truth .
What does records from 5/6 years ago prove. Those kids are gone do the kids this year really compare to those teams only time will tell.