Division IV Region 16

Archbishop McNicholas 24
Eaton. 0

Probably the most complete game the Rockets have played all season. They may have a chance against Taft.

McNicks corners completely locked down Eaton's WR's all game. Ebright had no where to throw the ball
Yes, they were playing great pass defense, really have all year. Eatons only choice was to throw underneath mostly to 23. Eaton fans showed up tonight. Well behaved and gracious. Offense just couldn’t get any rhyth.

35 0 final for Wyoming. Shawnee couldn't score on them but they did move the ball. Final offensive outputs were within 50 yards of each other

Nice Job by Massie tonight. They actually beat 2 teams tonight….Urbana and the officials…..seen a lot of HS football and that may have been one of the worst officiated games I have seen at the HS level. I really hope that OHSAA reviews this crew and really thinks hard before allowing them to do another playoff game. The White Hat was the worst by far…it seemed pretty obvious he was taking any chance he could to penalize Massie. Was watching the game next to a group of old retired officials and they were appalled.

Urbana had a nice offensive team. Their QB was impressive and their WR’s caught almost everything thrown at them that was close enough to catch….made several very tough catches.

Massie secondary unit probably dropped 4-5 INT’s.

Refs tried to keep it close.

take the Refs out of it and we make a couple of those interceptions and this one becomes a blowout pretty easily.

Nice Job by Massie tonight. They actually beat 2 teams tonight….Urbana and the officials…..seen a lot of HS football and that may have been one of the worst officiated games I have seen at the HS level. I really hope that OHSAA reviews this crew and really thinks hard before allowing them to do another playoff game. The White Hat was the worst by far…it seemed pretty obvious he was taking any chance he could to penalize Massie. Was watching the game next to a group of old retired officials and they were appalled.

Urbana had a nice offensive team. Their QB was impressive and their WR’s caught almost everything thrown at them that was close enough to catch….made several very tough catches.

Massie secondary unit probably dropped 4-5 INT’s.

Refs tried to keep it close.

take the Refs out of it and we make a couple of those interceptions and this one becomes a blowout pretty easily.
I love watching a game where I am, as they say, "have no dog in this fight". I was impressed with how quick Massie's RB were. For the life of me I dont know who was better #6 or #8 and just when I think I'm leaning towards #6, #5 breaks out a long run. I was impressed with their backfield. However, I was surprised the QB never kept the ball on a boot, with the all the counters they run. The offensive line was big and quick and really did a nice job opening holes. Not a lot of mystery in what they want to do but they did it well.

Urbana, I was impressed with the QB and his ability to run and extend plays. Kind of a skinny kid but he could play and did a great job at running their offense. You are correct, their receivers were impressive and I thought did a nice job at snatching about everything thrown to them. There Achilles heel was they really had no running game, even when Massie only had 5-6 in the box, they really could not run the ball. Overall, I saw Urbana's demise as scoring too quickly and giving the ball back to that grinding Massie offense.

Now for my disagreement with your post and again, no dog and no fight. Potential 4-5 INTs??? not so sure about that. I know there was one early in the game where the Massie DB made a good play on the ball but it was difficult and would have been impressive had he pulled it in. Another missed was #10 in the end zone and he misjudged it and it was almost completed for a TD. I think U scored a couple of plays later though. The whole missing INTs can be summarized, "if a frog had wings it wouldn't bump its butt when it hopped" sort of thing. Sorry, you cant count those missed and perceived missed opportunities to increasing the score or leading to a blow out...just the way it works. When you dont make the plays, you dont make the plays and in the end those dont count to the end result...that is part of the game. So that is a no argument to an increased score...."blowout".

Now, the big one, the refs. I have made comments on this board about the refs and I was called on the carpet, by a friend, for making those comments, though I was right but my comments were wrong to put on this board and I apologize. I have a tendency to watch the game for what it is and how something happens early in the game can affect/effect future calls. That early unnecessary roughness penalty against Massie in the 1st quarter, when their wide out blocked an Urbana DB 5 yards out of bounds and shoved him into the base of the "stands" may have been an early indicator to the refs to control this games potential chippiness. That happened directly in front of me and where I was sitting (10 yards away), so NO ARGUEMENT there, since you would have been over 70 yards away...if sitting on the Massie side. If you noticed the refs got together a couple of plays later and I think on their part they decided to call anything close to unsportsman like or unnecessary roughness to maintain control of the game. Hats off to them for doing that. However, there were more deadball fouls called throughout the game on both sides but keep in mind Massie set the precedent and your team may not be as innocent as you think you are. I know there were several calls against Massie for late hits out of bounds and most were on the opposite side of the field and from my vantage point, I cannot argue one way or another. Again, those calls may have been simply the refs maintaining control of a game and who can fault them for that....you?
Now, if this film is turned into the state for them to take action against these refs, you better have better evidence to convict than the LA prosecuting attorney did in the OJ trial.

It was a good game, it was an exciting game, it was a high scoring, running and passing game. Massie earned their win against the 11 Urbana players on the field and that's all there is to it. Take your win and prep for Wyoming next week, that should be a good game.

Good luck.

Now to be a smartazz. All cars come equipped with turn signals and an engineering degree is not needed to engage said signal. Cars can actually merge into roundabouts without waiting for all other cars to exit. Looking at traffic lights and waiting for another shade of green to appear before entering the intersection is highly frowned upon (as far as I know, any shade of green, means go...). Texting and driving is against the law in I dont know, all states. Finally, driving 65 mph in the left lane on Highway 68 is not a personal leisure lane. There is a whole other world out there the Clinton County residents should experience.

Last edited:
35 0 final for Wyoming. Shawnee couldn't score on them but they did move the ball. Final offensive outputs were within 50 yards of each other
Really??? Can you share some details. The score indicates a blowout but your stated yardage would indicate not so much. Curious to hear what happened and your opinion of Wyoming.

Looks like:
Wyoming (2 playoff shutouts) and Clinton Massie (struggle with Urbana)
McNicholas (shut out Eaton) and Taft (struggle with Alter)

I'm thinking Wyoming and McNick in the regional finals. Wyoming in the state semis.

Really??? Can you share some details. The score indicates a blowout but your stated yardage would indicate not so much. Curious to hear what happened and your opinion of Wyoming.

Looks like:
Wyoming (2 playoff shutouts) and Clinton Massie (struggle with Urbana)
McNicholas (shut out Eaton) and Taft (struggle with Alter)

I'm thinking Wyoming and McNick in the regional finals. Wyoming in the state semis.
shawnee had a nice qb. they did move the ball. but wyoming had 2 picks, a scoop and score on a sack/fumble, and were tough on 4th down conversions. the D is something else. in 12 games, 9 shutouts. shawnee spread it out, bunched 4 receivers for screens, and mostly struggled to run the ball. massie will be different, of course. also, shawnee stacked the box to stuff hester, and wyoming and hester were most effective on the edges.

I’m not sure what I think about the Saturday matchups. I can make a case for any of the 4 to win, with McNick being the least likely despite Taft struggling to beat an average Alter team. It will be interesting to see if the Massie run first (and last) offense can do to Wyoming what they did last year, winning going away. I think Massie will have to score over 30 to win and by all accounts that pretty much more points then the Wyoming team has given up ALL YEAR. Not certain what Alter exploited to make the Taft game close (I haven’t seen much info on that game) but the Rocket coaches are smart enough to try and duplicate that if they can. McNicks defensive weakness has been stopping the run however the last two games they have been very good in that area. (13 rushing yds in 21 attempts last night). Pass defense has been lights out. ( 123 yds last night mostly underneath in 3-4th and long situations)

So:

Wyoming 31 Massie 21
Taft 28 McNick 24

Last edited: