Division III State Championship: Hamilton Badin (14-0) vs. Chardon (15-0)

Who wins?

• Chardon by 17+

Votes: 30 27.3%
  • Chardon by 8-16

Votes: 31 28.2%
  • Chardon by 1-7

Votes: 24 21.8%
  • Badin by 1-7

Votes: 17 15.5%
  • Badin by 8-16

Votes: 5 4.5%
  • Badin by 17+

Votes: 3 2.7%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Unfortunate that Badin lost their QB in the regional final. I really feel like they win this going away with him. Congratulations to the Hilltoppers.
I doubt it, he'd be seeing white jerseys in his sleep tonight too. It appeared that in the 4th Chardons D had better stamina and were too quick for Badins O-line. Coach Hewitt has always said they're not the largest kids but play with "heavy hands". Chardon seemed to be disguising their pass coverage better too. Badins #20 had that one good run and a couple good short squirts but could never get in a rhythm like id seen him do in other playoff games. Chardons Bruce (#1) is a sophomore and may be the quick RB they need to complement their QB. There was no doubt Badin was committed to stopping the run and they were impressive. But it became a field position ball game and Chardon gave themselves a shorter field to play on. Either way both teams obviously deserved to be there and they represented their schools as well as anyone could.

Chardon acts like the Wing T is some foreign language and that they are the only ones in the state that run the Wing T. You're not that special. Badin has plenty experience with the Wing T. The hell with the Hilltoppers!!!! Go Badin Rams !!!!!!!!
Well, it seemed liked it worked pretty well tonight. Back 2 back state champs. Way to go toppers.

Having seen Chardon on offense, they aren't the (Buck Sweep, Trap, Waggle) Wing T...they are a hard nosed POWER football operation. They are good at what they do but not a Wing T team
Chardon runs the ball, hence the Wing T. They are 2 timing state champs. So I'm my opinion I think they do it well enough.

#17 for Badin, is he related to Mike Singletary ? ?
Lot of really GOOD football players on that field yesterday.
Chardon , who I’m not a alum but have become a fan. The way they play the game takes me back to my teen years.
Plus I loved over achievers. And that coach gets every ounce of effort out of them young men.
I had a coach ounce like that.?
-really wish I could watch that game again.
I was impressed & respect both of teams.

Happy Holidays

Best game of the weekend by far. Two tremendous defensive performances. 157 total yards combined at half is the stuff I’m here for. Hands down the two best in D3 this year.

Heck of a game. Tremendous fundamentals on both sides. Tackling, pursuit, getting off blocks. Was great to watch.

I doubt it, he'd be seeing white jerseys in his sleep tonight too. It appeared that in the 4th Chardons D had better stamina and were too quick for Badins O-line. Coach Hewitt has always said they're not the largest kids but play with "heavy hands". Chardon seemed to be disguising their pass coverage better too. Badins #20 had that one good run and a couple good short squirts but could never get in a rhythm like id seen him do in other playoff games. Chardons Bruce (#1) is a sophomore and may be the quick RB they need to complement their QB. There was no doubt Badin was committed to stopping the run and they were impressive. But it became a field position ball game and Chardon gave themselves a shorter field to play on. Either way both teams obviously deserved to be there and they represented their schools as well as anyone could.
Badin’s starting QB was also their punter and a very good one, so his loss hurt a lot

Great game. Two teams that were mirror images of each other. There was a reason both were undefeated going into the game. Best defensive game I have seen in ages. Chardon swarmed the ball and Badin's front D-line and MLB looked like men among boys. If ever there were two teams deserving to be co-champions this was it.

This was a battle and could have gone either way. It was a very physical game and for a bit I thought I would be watching an OT game. A huge play in that game was the dropped screen pass that was probably a TD and would have put Badin up by 7 late in the game. I feel bad for the young man. But that was a critical play. Congrats to both teams. Both were undefeated going into that game, and they both showed why. Awesome game.

1 thing I have to ask Chardon fans. Chardon has a really good kicker. Their punter was dicey to put it nice. Why doesn't their kicker also punt for them. I can't image the kicker can't punt a football. That part of the game very easily could have lost the game for them. It was brutal watching that. Very curious.

1 thing I have to ask Chardon fans. Chardon has a really good kicker. Their punter was dicey to put it nice. Why doesn't their kicker also punt for them. I can't image the kicker can't punt a football. That part of the game very easily could have lost the game for them. It was brutal watching that. Very curious.
Tager is our kicker and backup punter. Although the sample size is extremely small, since we didn't punt much this season, it's hard to tell if Tager would've had a better leg punting than our current punter (McDonald). McDonald did a good job punting this season, from the few times we had to do it. A lot of what you saw in the game yesterday was likely nerves and poor snaps that required him to alter his routine.

Than
Tager is our kicker and backup punter. Although the sample size is extremely small, since we didn't punt much this season, it's hard to tell if Tager would've had a better leg punting than our current punter (McDonald). McDonald did a good job punting this season, from the few times we had to do it. A lot of what you saw in the game yesterday was likely nerves and poor snaps that required him to alter his routine.
The nerves thing makes sense. He did settle down a bit his last couple punts. Thanks.

Not much more to say than what has already been said, but Badin was as advertised and it was an incredible matchup and game. I never felt comfortable until the 0:00 on the clock, and the heart rate monitor on my watch confirmed it ?.

Hats off to Badin - truly a great team. I know it isn’t much consolation to them, but well coached, disciplined, tough and athletic kids, and either team would have been a worthy champion.

I was impressed with the Badin student section, too!! Our Chardon Crazies are amazing, but maybe they can take some tips from Badin. I loved the atmosphere, and another great example of Ohio football.

Congrats to the Toppers! Made plays when they had to, displayed incredible mental and physical toughness, and played their hearts out. Over-achievers across the board.

Last note - I thought the refs were very good. Kept their hands off of their flags and let the kids play. Stark contrast to our semi-final game.

Not much more to say than what has already been said, but Badin was as advertised and it was an incredible matchup and game. I never felt comfortable until the 0:00 on the clock, and the heart rate monitor on my watch confirmed it ?.

Hats off to Badin - truly a great team. I know it isn’t much consolation to them, but well coached, disciplined, tough and athletic kids, and either team would have been a worthy champion.

I was impressed with the Badin student section, too!! Our Chardon Crazies are amazing, but maybe they can take some tips from Badin. I loved the atmosphere, and another great example of Ohio football.

Congrats to the Toppers! Made plays when they had to, displayed incredible mental and physical toughness, and played their hearts out. Over-achievers across the board.

Last note - I thought the refs were very good. Kept their hands off of their flags and let the kids play. Stark contrast to our semi-final game.
Totally agree on all counts, just two incredibly good, hard nosed teams that left it all on the field

I believe they prefer Mcdonald to punt in the event a return guy gets loose since he's more adapt to tackling. Tager is a soccer player and didnt play football till last year i believe, so his tackling skills may be limited, at best. Tager can actually punt deeper down field, but i think Mcdonald could match him if he had proper cleats, i dont think footwear is the same for a kicker and down lineman.

Badin’s starting QB was also their punter and a very good one, so his loss hurt a lot
"hurt a lot" is a nonquantitive statement. Its impossible to measure. Badins backup punter had a few "generous" bounces. I believe one punt rolled farther after it hit the ground then it traveled in the air. And Chardons punter didnt exactly have the greatest afternoon so I believe one could say they cancelled each other out. Just like saying Badins #20 dropped a short pass that was a guaranteed big play, Chardons #16 did the same, which led to a punt instead of extending the drive. Again, cancelling each others mistakes.

Stop that nonsense
That's his schtick-- he likes to be the first person to call the outcome of the game-- so he does it before the game is really decided-- and often ends up WRONG-- as he was with the Division IV title game-- which is why Brian1227 calling the game for your team (either before or during the game) is considered the kiss of death for a team-- it's like getting on the cover of Sports Illustrated...

He usually follows up be denigrating whichever team lost-- either for being terrible (if they were outmatched) or stupid (if they lost when he thought they should win)-- the guy is the most notoriously wrong NO(s)Tradamus on the site-- he's also the most ridiculed poster on the site.

Last edited:
#17 for Badin, is he related to Mike Singletary ? ?
Lot of really GOOD football players on that field yesterday.
Chardon , who I’m not a alum but have become a fan. The way they play the game takes me back to my teen years.
Plus I loved over achievers. And that coach gets every ounce of effort out of them young men.
I had a coach ounce like that.?
-really wish I could watch that game again.
I was impressed & respect both of teams.

Happy Holidays
If you paid for the game, you CAN watch it again-- paying for the live stream entitles you to free replays... I watched last year's Division I title game again 9 months later.

Status
Not open for further replies.