Division III Region 9

Chardon replaced 8 starters on defense and 9 on offense. Averaging 39 points a game and giving up 6.8 with a couple scores coming against the JV defense in running clock situations - have played five teams that will be hosting playoff games this week and a couple more playoff teams that got in under the new expansion format. St. Ed's and Marysville are the only teams in the state to accumulate more Harbin points. Not sure anyone would have predicted this. Have played 2 bad halves of football on offense (2nd half of New Philly and 2nd half of Ursuline - 3 turnovers in each of those halves) and 1 bad half on defense against a powerful Ursuline offensive machine while protecting a big lead with the offense turning it over three times - tough to even call it a bad defensive half. 24-3 at home in the last five years. 58-7 at home since coach Hewitt took over in 2011. Last loss at home was in 2018 to Akron East in a first round playoff game. No one will be overlooking the Dragons. Anyone who wins this region will have had to have run a gauntlet, stayed healthy, and taken care of the football. Region 9 is not for the faint of heart.

Lots of opinions in this thread going back to August. Most people seem to feel 8 to 10 teams could win Region 9 when the season started. Regardless of Record or seeding, what are now your top 5 in order?

Lots of opinions in this thread going back to August. Most people seem to feel 8 to 10 teams could win Region 9 when the season started. Regardless of Record or seeding, what are now your top 5 in order?

My opinion:
1) Chardon
2) Dover
3) Canfield
4) Aurora
5) SVSM/Steubenville

If Aurora gets their QB back, I’d move them back up to 2

Chardon is going to win the region if they don't have an off night. That's possible of course but I wouldn't count on it. If it does happen I think Dover or a full strength Aurora could definitely do some damage in the final four as well.

Chardon is going to win the region if they don't have an off night. That's possible of course but I wouldn't count on it. If it does happen I think Dover or a full strength Aurora could definitely do some damage in the final four as well.
Isn’t that how games are won and lost in sports ??? Eventually someone makes mistakes, lol.

Yeah of course! I'm just saying that the only way Chardon doesn't win the region is if they beat themselves. Further, I wouldn't count on them underperforming.
I agree with Chardon has the best chance to win this region, but I don’t think defenses intercepting a pass or stripping the ball or hard hit causing a fumble is considered a mistake by Chardon. IMHO that is defenses making a play and more of a cause and effect than a mistake.

I agree with Chardon has the best chance to win this region, but I don’t think defenses intercepting a pass or stripping the ball or hard hit causing a fumble is considered a mistake by Chardon. IMHO that is defenses making a play and more of a cause and effect than a mistake.
Where did you get that? I never made that argument even slightly. Of course an interception or a forced fumble can be considered a defense playing well. I never brought either of those scenarios. I will be more specific in what i say though: Chardon will not lose a game in the region unless they have a penalty filled night with dropped passes, missed blocking assignments, and broken coverages. They follow too tight of a game plan to underperform.

Last edited:
Top 8 in Region 9 are 69-9 won/loss. No other region even close. 15 teams in the other regions who are in the playoffs would not be in if they were in Region 9. Region 9 is not for the faint of heart. Still trying to figure out how it goes from the Ohio river to a few miles south of Lake Erie and covers the best teams in each county but, hey, you've got to play whoever they put in your region. If you are a high school football fan, it's a fun time of the year for sure.

1) Chardon - they are the defending champs and will be difficult to dethrone for any team
2) Aurora - excellent Defense and Offense is getting healthy. Well coached
3) Canfield - probably best QB in Region. If he gets hot they could beat anybody
4) Dover - Tornados will be tough out for Aurora in Qtr Finals at home
5) If Steubenville gets by a tough Tallmadge they should beat Kenston on the road and be in semis

1) Chardon - they are the defending champs and will be difficult to dethrone for any team
2) Aurora - excellent Defense and Offense is getting healthy. Well coached
3) Canfield - probably best QB in Region. If he gets hot they could beat anybody
4) Dover - Tornados will be tough out for Aurora in Qtr Finals at home
5) If Steubenville gets by a tough Tallmadge they should beat Kenston on the road and be in semis

I do think that Dover has probably the best coaching in the region with coach Ifft having his first losing season at Dover ever last year when they were 4-5 overall (he’s been the head coach since the mid 90’s), and coach Wakefield as the DC who was historic at Massillon Perry for ~30 years. That’s not to say that Aurora isn’t “well coached”, but that is definitely true for Dover with their two hall of fame coaches, as well.

Of course Steubenville also has a nice coaching advantage.

Division III, Region 9
16 Akron East (5-5) at 1 Chardon (9-0) - Chardon
9 Chesterfield West Geauga (7-3) at 8 Streetsboro (7-2) - Streetsboro
13 Chardon Notre Dame-Cathedral Latin (5-5) at 4 Canfield (9-1) - Canfield
12 New Philadelphia (6-4) at 5 Hubbard (9-1) - Hubbard

15 Akron St. Vincent-St. Mary (4-6) at 2 Dover (9-0) - Dover
10 Ravenna (7-3) at 7 Aurora (8-2) - Aurora
14 Painesville Harvey (5-4) at 3 Chagrin Falls Kenston (9-1) - Kenston
11 Tallmadge (7-3) at 6 Steubenville (8-2) - Steubenville

8 Streetsboro @ 1 Chardon - Chardon
5 Hubbard @ 4 Canfield - Canfield
7 Aurora @ 2 Dover - Aurora
6 Steubenville @ 3 Kenston - Kenston

1 Chardon vs 4 Canfield - Chardon
7 Aurora vs 3 Kenston - Aurora

1 Chardon vs 7 Aurora - Chardon

Here is my shot at it.

#1 Chardon vs #16 Akron East- East maybe tougher than most 16's around the state but it wont matter here. Chardon 49-7
#8 Streetsboro vs #9 West Geauga- I think WG can slow down Streetsboro a enough. WG 28-21
#4 Canfield vs #13 NDCL I think NDCL will give a run at it. Canfield pulls it out late. Canfield 28-14
#5 Hubbard vs #12 New Philadelphia- I think Hubbard will get out coached, they could squeak it out. Schedules matter here. NP 24-21
#2 Dover vs #15 ASVSM- Not buying the upset. Dovers D is too good. Dover 28-14
#7 Aurora vs #10 Ravenna Aurora 49-0
#3 Kenston vs #14 Harvey Kenston 48-7
#6 Steubenville vs #11 Tallmadge- The big red fans are really quiet. Ill take Tallmadge 35-28

#1 Chardon vs #9 West Geauga- Chardon 49-6
#4 Canfield vs # 12 New Philadelphia- Canfield D. 28-7
#2 Dover vs #7 Aurora- Dover D too good. Aurora still hurt? Dover 17-10
#3 Kenston vs #11 Tallmadge.. Kenstons had some questionable games. Tallmadge sneaks it out! Tallmadge 28-27

#1 Chardon vs #4 Canfield- Chardon has had some questionable games also, there is one constant though. The D! Canfield is better than they get credit for. Ill still take the champs though. Chardon 21-14
#2 Dover vs #11 Tallmadge. The run ends here. Dover 31-7

#1 Chardon vs #2 Dover- I could see either team winning, I just think a couple big plays from Chardon is the difference. Chardon 29-28 OT
I then think Chardon steam rolls the semis and wins the title.

I do think that Dover has probably the best coaching in the region with coach Ifft having his first losing season at Dover ever last year when they were 4-5 overall (he’s been the head coach since the mid 90’s), and coach Wakefield as the DC who was historic at Massillon Perry for ~30 years. That’s not to say that Aurora isn’t “well coached”, but that is definitely true for Dover with their two hall of fame coaches, as well.

Of course Steubenville also has a nice coaching advantage.

Here is my shot at it.

#1 Chardon vs #16 Akron East- East maybe tougher than most 16's around the state but it wont matter here. Chardon 49-7
#8 Streetsboro vs #9 West Geauga- I think WG can slow down Streetsboro a enough. WG 28-21
#4 Canfield vs #13 NDCL I think NDCL will give a run at it. Canfield pulls it out late. Canfield 28-14
#5 Hubbard vs #12 New Philadelphia- I think Hubbard will get out coached, they could squeak it out. Schedules matter here. NP 24-21
#2 Dover vs #15 ASVSM- Not buying the upset. Dovers D is too good. Dover 28-14
#7 Aurora vs #10 Ravenna Aurora 49-0
#3 Kenston vs #14 Harvey Kenston 48-7
#6 Steubenville vs #11 Tallmadge- The big red fans are really quiet. Ill take Tallmadge 35-28

#1 Chardon vs #9 West Geauga- Chardon 49-6
#4 Canfield vs # 12 New Philadelphia- Canfield D. 28-7
#2 Dover vs #7 Aurora- Dover D too good. Aurora still hurt? Dover 17-10
#3 Kenston vs #11 Tallmadge.. Kenstons had some questionable games. Tallmadge sneaks it out! Tallmadge 28-27

#1 Chardon vs #4 Canfield- Chardon has had some questionable games also, there is one constant though. The D! Canfield is better than they get credit for. Ill still take the champs though. Chardon 21-14
#2 Dover vs #11 Tallmadge. The run ends here. Dover 31-7

#1 Chardon vs #2 Dover- I could see either team winning, I just think a couple big plays from Chardon is the difference. Chardon 29-28 OT
I then think Chardon steam rolls the semis and wins the title.
Honestly just waiting to see who plays at this point, injuries are that bad.

This has to one of the staffs toughest years from injuries and kids simply quitting. I think they’ve lost 6 to injury and about 8 younger players quit.

It’s been rough year for sure.

Rodney James is the most impactful player that is not returning due to season ending injury. His style of running is more of a home run hitter than the rest but I’m confident that the other 5 or 6 backs that will rotate in will do what is asked of them and get the job done.

With Hill back that makes a tremendous difference in how open we can be in the passing game and the play calling.

If we don’t turn the ball over this 8-2 team that nobody is talking about will surprise a few of the “TOP” teams in region 9.

Rodney James is the most impactful player that is not returning due to season ending injury. His style of running is more of a home run hitter than the rest but I’m confident that the other 5 or 6 backs that will rotate in will do what is asked of them and get the job done.

With Hill back that makes a tremendous difference in how open we can be in the passing game and the play calling.

If we don’t turn the ball over this 8-2 team that nobody is talking about will surprise a few of the “TOP” teams in region 9.
Let em sleep...

It would be really nice to get Bozica back. And whatever happened to Savier Faulks?

Faulks should be back next week if he doesn’t see any action this week. Bo should be back soon as well
I’d say they are both, a maybe for a few more week.

not to mention multiple lineman and now a CB.

We will see who dresses buttttt getting 18 back is huge. Can spell 1 of the RBs at DE at times. You already know what he can do at WR

I’d say they are both, a maybe for a few more week.

not to mention multiple lineman and now a CB.

We will see who dresses buttttt getting 18 back is huge. Can spell 1 of the RBs at DE at times. You already know what he can do at WR
The CB was initially thought to be done the rest of the year with the hand injury but his mom said he is cleared to play. Don’t know if he will play this week but he should be back next week I’m assuming

Kenston might surprise some.Not saying they will win the region,but might go a few rounds now that they will be close to full strength.They have been 1 dimensional with the loss of their QB and TE with them back they will be able to spread teams out.Last time Bombers were counted out was 2018 in the regional finals when everyone picked Canfield,that was a 33-7 Bomber victory……

1. 112 ALLIANCE ALLIANCE III 9 374
  2. 802 KENSTON CHAGRIN FALLS III 9 374
  3. 698 HARVEY PAINESVILLE III 9 372
  4. 472 DOVER DOVER III 9 368
  5. 146 AURORA AURORA III 9 366
  6. 902 LOUISVILLE LOUISVILLE III 9 360
  7. 736 HOWLAND WARREN III 9 359
  8. 1106 NEW PHILADELPHIA N PHILADELPHIA III 9 355
  9. 478 EAST AKRON III 9 352
  10. 994 NILES MC KINLEY NILES III 9 342
  11. 1384 ST VINCENT-ST MARY AKRON III 9 335
  12. 634 GENEVA GENEVA III 9 328
  13. 428 COVENTRY AKRON III 9 320
  14. 483 EAST YOUNGSTOWN III 9 320
  15. 358 CHANEY YOUNGSTOWN III 9 306
  16. 1472 SPRINGFIELD AKRON III 9 305
  17. 304 CANFIELD CANFIELD III 9 301
  18. 1522 TALLMADGE TALLMADGE III 9 300
  19. 274 BUCHTEL AKRON III 9 300
  20. 360 CHARDON CHARDON III 9 295
  21. 1180 NOTRE DAME-CATHEDRAL LATIN CHARDON III 9 295
  22. 964 MARLINGTON ALLIANCE III 9 289
  23. 1488 STEUBENVILLE STEUBENVILLE III 9 288
  24. 1281 RAVENNA Ravenna III 9 286
  25. 1496 STREETSBORO STREETSBORO III 9 284
  26. 738 HUBBARD HUBBARD III 9 272
  27. 1678 WEST GEAUGA CHESTERLAND III 9 271
Teams in BOLD made the playoffs, Teams in Italics earned a home game (top 8 seed)
Just something interesting to look at comparing the enrollments with the playoff teams. Just goes to show that sheer number of boys doesn't always correlate with success. Hubbard is an excellent example of this, they are the 2nd smallest team in D-III but are still very competitive. The funny thing is Alliance was nearly a D-II school and they couldn't even do anything in D-III this year. Conversely Louisville played that tough schedule and looked a lot more competitive than Alliance, granted their only win was against Alliance.

the thing that really makes me scratch my head on Streetsboro is the loss to Woodridge, the following week Woodridge was soundly defeated by Ravenna. A Woodridge team that barely beat Cloverleaf. Were the Rockets missing a bunch of key players in that one?

1. 112 ALLIANCE ALLIANCE III 9 374
  2. 802 KENSTON CHAGRIN FALLS III 9 374
  3. 698 HARVEY PAINESVILLE III 9 372
  4. 472 DOVER DOVER III 9 368
  5. 146 AURORA AURORA III 9 366
  6. 902 LOUISVILLE LOUISVILLE III 9 360
  7. 736 HOWLAND WARREN III 9 359
  8. 1106 NEW PHILADELPHIA N PHILADELPHIA III 9 355
  9. 478 EAST AKRON III 9 352
  10. 994 NILES MC KINLEY NILES III 9 342
  11. 1384 ST VINCENT-ST MARY AKRON III 9 335
  12. 634 GENEVA GENEVA III 9 328
  13. 428 COVENTRY AKRON III 9 320
  14. 483 EAST YOUNGSTOWN III 9 320
  15. 358 CHANEY YOUNGSTOWN III 9 306
  16. 1472 SPRINGFIELD AKRON III 9 305
  17. 304 CANFIELD CANFIELD III 9 301
  18. 1522 TALLMADGE TALLMADGE III 9 300
  19. 274 BUCHTEL AKRON III 9 300
  20. 360 CHARDON CHARDON III 9 295
  21. 1180 NOTRE DAME-CATHEDRAL LATIN CHARDON III 9 295
  22. 964 MARLINGTON ALLIANCE III 9 289
  23. 1488 STEUBENVILLE STEUBENVILLE III 9 288
  24. 1281 RAVENNA Ravenna III 9 286
  25. 1496 STREETSBORO STREETSBORO III 9 284
  26. 738 HUBBARD HUBBARD III 9 272
  27. 1678 WEST GEAUGA CHESTERLAND III 9 271
Teams in BOLD made the playoffs, Teams in Italics earned a home game (top 8 seed)
Just something interesting to look at comparing the enrollments with the playoff teams. Just goes to show that sheer number of boys doesn't always correlate with success. Hubbard is an excellent example of this, they are the 2nd smallest team in D-III but are still very competitive. The funny thing is Alliance was nearly a D-II school and they couldn't even do anything in D-III this year. Conversely Louisville played that tough schedule and looked a lot more competitive than Alliance, granted their only win was against Alliance.

Are those actual enrollment numbers or competitive balance adjusted numbers?