Division II State Semifinal: Winton Woods (11-3) vs Uniontown Green (11-3)

Who wins?

• Winton Woods by 17+

Votes: 32 32.0%
  • Winton Woods by 8-16

Votes: 32 32.0%
  • Winton Woods by 1-7

Votes: 13 13.0%
  • Green by 1-7

Votes: 19 19.0%
  • Green by 8-16

Votes: 3 3.0%
  • Green by 17+

Votes: 1 1.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Congrats to WW on the win and Congrats to Green on a great season. They proved the better team in most aspects of the game but the times that counted most didn’t go their way. Truly, against all odds. No one favored Green, ever, and time and time again they proved the nay sayers wrong. Kudos to the program, players, coaches and students who made it all happen this year.

And how about Green being moved to the home side of the field just hours before the game because of landslide ticket sales?! That’s a community that’s hungry!

That's the kind of loss that those Green kids will lament for the rest of their lives. So many empty RZ trips, then compounding it by giving up a KO return TD. They just gift wrapped that for WW.
I assume “take a ways” initiated most of those empty RZ trips ? On the KO return did the KO team lay down or something or was it WW’s execution plus a burner returner ? I don’t see “gift wrapping” there.

Ok so WW didn’t stop those drives it was the refs and Green’s own incompetence?
Take us thru that logically.
Logically, a lot of teams have won a championship while being luckier than good in a playoff game along the way. You never apologize for it, you take win any way you can get it. I'm speaking from the Green kids' POV, and there's no way they don't feel like they gave that game away.

Logically, a lot of teams have won a championship while being luckier than good in a playoff game along the way. You never apologize for it, you take win any way you can get it. I'm speaking from the Green kids' POV, and there's no way they don't feel like they gave that game away.
They may feel it was taken

I get what your saying Redwing.

The part you are not seeing is ...

. it is not luck to defeat the blocking
and stop the guy on 4th down.

. It is not luck CAUSE 3 turnovers and end the other teams possessions.

. It is not luck to block the other team and run the Kickoff back.

Can anyone ever just give the team that won the credit that THEY DESERVE for doing what they had to do to win the game?

Nah...refs screwed us.
Nah...they were lucky.
Nah...stats over points.

It just doesn’t work that way.

Green lost...period. Didnt capitalize on opportunities and WW made plays when they had to. WW plays for the championship. Thats the way it goes. No shame for Green. Greens season lasted longer then I ever anticipated. Best of luck to WW
And go Buckeyes
Thank you. I can see why Green made a run this season. They are very good. I think you guys brought the whole town!! They were loud!!

I get what your saying Redwing.

The part you are not seeing is ...

. it is not luck to defeat the blocking
and stop the guy on 4th down.

. It is not luck CAUSE 3 turnovers and end the other teams possessions.

. It is not luck to block the other team and run the Kickoff back.

Can anyone ever just give the team that won the credit that THEY DESERVE for doing what they had to do to win the game?

Nah...refs screwed us.
Nah...they were lucky.
Nah...stats over points.

It just doesn’t work that way.
Do you cause the turnovers, or does the offense get sloppy and commit those turnovers? It is extremely rare that a good team has that many RZ opportunities and comes away empty, and even rarer that they don't have a hand in their own demise. Hey, Green butchered it and WW didn't, there's a lot to be said for playing a clean game in the playoffs.

That's the kind of loss that those Green kids will lament for the rest of their lives. So many empty RZ trips, then compounding it by giving up a KO return TD. They just gift wrapped that for WW.
Well, hopefully they don't lament it for too long. At least 4 of our football players should be in action on Tuesday for the basketball season opener

While I'm biased and think Green has the better team, Winton Woods earned the victory. Green's players fought to the last second and it wasn't enough. If Green had scored another TD and won 14-13, we'd all be hearing about Winton Woods missing an easy field goal, the dropped touchdown and fumbling inside Greens 20 in the fourth quarter. In a hard fought playoff game where every play mattered there's always twenty different things that could have led to a different outcome.

At the start of the year, most WW posters knew these things about our defense
1 they would be the heart and soul of the team
2 they would keep us in games
3 they would be able to win games with our defense.
tonight they did all 3. Our defense was outstanding and opportunistic. Yes Green had several opportunities inside the red zone but couldn’t quite capitalize.

however, our Defense made the plays when they needed, bend a little but not break.

Green is a real solid team, and your QB is nice as well as the WR’s.

Classy #7 grabbing his crotch and waving bye to the green fans. Real class act.....
It was bad but don’t get all self righteous. Kids do dumb things. The coaches will talk to him and tell him no matter what the crowd and sideline says to you, you can’t react in that way. A life lesson will be taught. Onward to Canton!!
GO WARRIORS!

I'll say this that 5 wide out offense is very difficult to defend. That's twice this yr this offense has given WW problems. My hat goes off to Green, they were tough. Tht Tre Martin kid is the REAL DEAL because I don't think he left the field. That QB was a gamer too. That defense was fast & aggressive & they were ready for us. They played the sticks on 3rd & manageable. But the gameball goes to the WW defense. They made the plays when we needed them.

Green wins this game going away on a 90 yard playing field.

It's incredible Green had 525 yards of offense and was able to get off 96 plays but could only muster 7 points. ?

What a heartbreaker.

The key to the game was that Winton Woods is blessed to have 2 great junior corners #7 & #25. plus their D Coordinator kept mixing up the coverages to keep the Green QB off balance. a little. The WW QB is going to have to play better, for WW to have a chance against Hoban.

The key to the game was that Winton Woods is blessed to have 2 great junior corners #7 & #25. plus their D Coordinator kept mixing up the coverages to keep the Green QB off balance. a little. The WW QB is going to have to play better, for WW to have a chance against Hoban.
QB play was a little shaky, hopefully he plays better in a week. Hoban will do its best to stuff the run.

QB play was a little shaky, hopefully he plays better in a week. Hoban will do its best to stuff the run.
By now it is what it is. He can improve on his play but I really don’t think he played terrible. I know the WR’s made a few mistakes that didn’t help him but he missed on a couple throws that could have put the game out of reach earlier.

Congrats to WW!
They have speed and are physical.
Corners real good!
There two backs are tough and quick!
There defense made plays when they needed to!
Green's D played great! Green matched WW's physicality.
It came down to turnovers and WW's D coming up big over and over.
WW's QB does not help them and does not put pressure on the D.
Good luck against Hoban!
Hold your heads up Green! You guys are tough and play with heart! You had a great season and represented Green and the Fed well!

Kids make mistakes. He has to to learn to ignore the crows. I won't get into what was yelled at him but regardless he will hear worse if not the same @ the next level so he needs thicker skin.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sometimes kids do stupid things. They see this crap on tv and want to emulate their idols. Stupid but I would never say it reflects on the WW program, just the stupid kid.
Stupid kid? He's stupid cuz he made a mistake like tht in the heat of the battle. He has to do better but I won't get into what our players were saying tht was going on the field. Kids felt disrespected and if you ask any team they will tell you we carry the sportsmanship badge w honor. You guys run to yappi but don't know what really happened.