Division II State Championship: Archbishop Hoban (14-1) vs Toledo Central Catholic (14-1)

Who wins?

• Hoban by 17+

Votes: 33 19.5%
  • Hoban by 8-16

Votes: 58 34.3%
  • Hoban by 1-7

Votes: 23 13.6%
  • TCC by 1-7

Votes: 45 26.6%
  • TCC by 8-16

Votes: 7 4.1%
  • TCC by 17+

Votes: 3 1.8%

• Total voters

Hoban played their worst game against Ed’s. Central Catholic played a great game against Ed’s, which was their only loss.

TCC had the tough road to this game. If they don’t get into a hole early like Massillon did tonight they have a chance. I think Hoban is the favorite.

TCC's big line is becoming a liability as they meet better and better. They don't have quick feet. With Avon a strong line. With Kings a quick line. With Hoban a quick strong line. TCC is going to need a reliable second level blocker and calm the OL so they don't panic and grab. Kings has an amazing receiver set that I think would give anyone trouble. TCC's secondary hopefully will fair better.

Hoban has a strong run game, right? How is the passing?

Haven't seen Hoban but if CCHS doesn't cut down on their 15 penalties it won't be close. I don't think I've ever seen a team other than Pete Carrol's USC teams win a game while having 15 penalties, let alone a playoff game.

On behalf of every high school football fan in Ohio, a big thank you to Hoban for beating Massillon. After reading their game thread it got to the point where I think most fans would root for ISIS over them.

Im excited for a rematch of the 2015 tital game.

Last edited:
Haven't seen Hoban but if CCHS doesn't cut down on their 15 penalties it won't be close. I don't think I've ever seen a team other than Pete Carrol's USC teams win a game while having 15 penalties, let alone a playoff game.
I’m not one to blame things on the refs, and there were some very legitimate penalties against them that they need to clean up, but there were also some egregious calls and no-calls from the officials in that game.

I’m not one to blame things on the refs, and there were some very legitimate penalties against them that they need to clean up, but there were also some egregious calls and no-calls from the officials in that game.
I can't argue with that but the fact still remains, whether it's their fault or something else going on that they can't control, they aren't gonna win with 15 penalties. Read into that whatever you like. A herculean effort today by CCHS in more ways than one.

I'm a 1987 Toledo CCHS grad but have been living in Canton for 28 years. This is a dream-come-true for me.
I'm an 86 Start HS grad and have a brother that lives in Canton now so it's cool for me as well, probably 10 fold for you though. He tells me the stories of how different it is there, with how the community is so invested in HS sports, and I've went there for a few games with local teams against McKinley and Massillon and it's just a different world there. Here you think Whitmer and CCHS are pretty invested but there's no comparison to that area of the state for enthusiasm and in general the level of competition. Whitmer's gonna be great again real soon, they got some serious talent coming through soon if it doesn't get plucked by the private schools.

TCC's big line is becoming a liability as they meet better and better. They don't have quick feet. With Avon a strong line. With Kings a quick line. With Hoban a quick strong line. TCC is going to need a reliable second level blocker and calm the OL so they don't panic and grab. Kings has an amazing receiver set that I think would give anyone trouble. TCC's secondary hopefully will fair better.

Hoban has a strong run game, right? How is the passing?
Better than average. Sperling has run for an OHSAA record 3400+ yards this season so as you might expect they don't pass much but they can if needed. Last night was a good example, especially early, when they went play action, drew in the Massillon DBs and went over the top for scores.

This is going to be a great game and atmosphere. When Hoban played TCC in 2015 Title game the atmosphere was just awesome. I appreciate at Ohio State so the 8-10k fans there was a drop in the bucket in that stadium but it was still loud and fun.

Better than average. Sperling has run for an OHSAA record 3400+ yards this season so as you might expect they don't pass much but they can if needed. Last night was a good example, especially early, when they went play action, drew in the Massillon DBs and went over the top for scores.
Central's LBs draw themselves in. The better teams just open the gaps, let them run in, then pop the pass over the top. Don't even need to set up a screen, which leaves for downfield blockers. Also avoids the issue of illegal downfield linemen, since you keep them in as decoys for the long ball.

Defending TCC is a pretty simple plan. Edmunds is strong, low center, great straight up the middle but easy to catch from behind. Anything along the line, you can have an average 180lb LB spy him like Kings, he'll never pass the line of scrimmage. Their QB, I forget his name is a stronger runner than he looks but is hampered by growth pains and late on-set puberty. A well placed cheer-leader can take him out of the game.

All this talk of "great" special teams is a farce. At least two fumbles a game. Once the kid ran the wrong way. Usually best to have your players hang back, see if the TCC players runs the wrong direction before tackling them.

If the game is close, I hear Coach Dempsey can be distracted by twizzlers. Just have a player leave some by a hash-mark. Easy way to build up sideline warning penalites in game critical situations.

Anything else I can do to help, don't hesitate to ask.

:D