Division I State Championship: St. Edward (14-1) vs Springfield (13-1)

Who wins?

• St. Edward by 17+

Votes: 24 13.0%
  • St. Edward by 8-16

Votes: 73 39.5%
  • St. Edward by 1-7

Votes: 29 15.7%
  • Springfield by 1-7

Votes: 45 24.3%
  • Springfield by 8-16

Votes: 6 3.2%
  • Springfield by 17+

Votes: 8 4.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

If no one else will say it, a shout out to the Massillon program that got our program back on track with our only loss of the season. Our pass D improved by leaps and bounds after that game. Playing quality teams like Massillon during the regular season makes us better in games like tonight.
you learn more about your team when you lose than when you win sometimes

There are plenty of private schools with average programs or worse.

1. Toledo St. Francis won D2 in 2002, I think, but hasnt been consistantly good in many years.
2. Toledo St. Johns has always been decent, but not great.
3. Oregon Cardinal Stritch couldnt even field a team this year.
4. The Columbus privates have had a little success with Hartley
5. But not much else with St. Francis, Watterson, and Ready. There are a lot of others that arent good, barely get by, or have seen better days.
6. Delphos St. John isnt good anymore. 7. Tiffin Calvert, Fremont St. Joes, and Sandusky St. Marys dont have strong programs.
8. Norwalk St. Paul has a good program however.
9. In Cleveland, Benedictine was 0-10 this year. Holy Name was pretty decent. But NDCL and others didnt dominate.

My point is success begets success. Good programs attract good players. Some programs rise. Some fall. Painting the Catholic schools with a broad brush is not the way to go.

Catholic schools have an advantage in that they can take.kids from anywhere. Some public schools do this as well.

Many suburban public schools have advantages too. The per capita income in some of them dwarfs other public schools. Families with 2 parents at home making good money spending money on their kids. Of course there is nothing wrong with this. Its what parents should do.

But in many areas, that model doesnt happen. Parents want to send their kid to the best option they can. And for some, that is a Catholic school. Since many of the urban Catholic schools have been around for a long time, they are now in older areas of whatever cities and those areas tend to be poorer. Do you really blame a parent for wanting to send their kid to a school with a history and a good program? The people in many of those areas dont have the advantages that others have. But they do utilize an advatage they have, a voucher to a school of their choice.

I personally feel any kid should be able to take the tax dollars and go anywhere they want. Kids should not be relegated to a particular school based on their zip code. No child should be forced to go to a government school.

what did st eds obtain that springfield did not except different lettering on the green plastic faceplate of a worthless trophy?

I don't know anything about tuition or the resources of the schools. But, this has been a recognized issue throughout the country. There are states that separate private and public school playoffs for this reason. And, I think sports factory schools like IMG Academy do not participate at all in the state playoffs for this reason. Do you really think it's a coincidence no Cleveland public school has ever won a state title in football? You really don't think parochial schools enjoy an advantage?

what did St Eds receive that Springfield did not except for different lettering on the green plastic faceplate on a worthless made in china trophy?

Why not do it the way other states who separate private and public schools do it? If there's no merit to what Douglass said, then why are other states already doing what he suggests?
Dude you cry a lot! Went from telling everyone how Springfield was going to beat up Ed’s , to crying how your feelings are hurt, it’s not fair. Dude stop the soy protein, switch to whey protein

There are plenty of private schools with average programs or worse.
Yet why are there different divisions based on size? Isn't it the "advantage" of having the odds of numbers to aquire good athletes. If so, then is it only an advantage if a school is successful?
Catholic schools have an advantage in that they can take.kids from anywhere. Some public schools do this as well.

Parents want to send their kid to the best option they can. And for some, that is a Catholic school. Since many of the urban Catholic schools have been around for a long time, they are now in older areas of whatever cities and those areas tend to be poorer. Do you really blame a parent for wanting to send their kid to a school with a history and a good program?
I absolutely do not blame a parent for wanting the best for their child. I don't think anyone ever has. Yet, again, does that change that it's an advantage for the Catholic school?
I personally feel any kid should be able to take the tax dollars and go anywhere they want. Kids should not be relegated to a particular school based on their zip code. No child should be forced to go to a government school.
Agree but l wouldn't say "forced".
Financially pressured would be a better description. 😉

Eds won the recruiting war years ago and I'm sure Springfield will bounce back. They are just getting started good. Like it or not, parents will come to the best places for their kids. As for sports, what other one's are they competitive at on the state level at Eds.?

Coach Douglass stated the reasons in the news article. If it's true you're all for "equality," then why not look at what other states like New York, New Jersey, Texas, etc do and follow their competitive balance models?
The big catholic schools[ex Dallas Jesuit] in Texas are in the public school playoffs. Private schools in Texas had there own organization because they did not want to be in the public league, they were never part of the public league.
New York is weird, there is a Catholic league champ and there are some private schools in the public league playoffs
New Jersey does separate tournaments.

Funny, how we heard in the run up to the game of how we shouldn't underestimate how good Springfield was and the real chance that they had in winning this game but now we hear about how the privates have. Such a great advantage. Springfield showed in the semis how they could play with the privates and I heard no complaints at that point.

When you have to come up with $16,000 per year to attend St Edward, its not a school with endless resources. And that's on top of paying public school taxes you don't use.
Very few are paying full tuition and highly doubt some of the kids on that football team are paying anything at all.
My neighbors across the street sends their oldest to Moeller. The father is an engineer for J&J and their child received an "academic" scholarship that reduced his tuition by 5K.
The parochial schools have large endowments that offset the published tuition cost and star athletes with little means pay very little.

Funny, how we heard in the run up to the game of how we shouldn't underestimate how good Springfield was and the real chance that they had in winning this game but now we hear about how the privates have. Such a great advantage. Springfield showed in the semis how they could play with the privates and I heard no complaints at that point.

Eh at least we don’t have to hear they played flat. That’s the usual go to.

First I have to congratulate both teams on a fantastic season. Ed's DL + OL were clearly the difference in this game and many posters predicted that could happen. Their studs up front were better than Springfields on both sides of the ball. I know I've written it many times: whoever wins the line of scrimmage most of the time wins football games. And that goes at ANY level. Just a fact. Springfield football, their fans, and community should be very proud with what they have accomplished the last 2 years. They just ran into a team that dominated the trenches. (that does sound familiar, but I won't go there- Lol!). I was very impressed with the Qb. He had grit and battled his behind off. I'm pretty sure we have not seen the last of Springfield, They will be back. But I'm pretty sure that Ed's isn't going anywhere either. I had a great time at the 3 games Friday, I love going to Tom Benson. Amazing venue and great atmosphere. Thank you Canton. And congrats to all 6 teams I got to see yesterday. It really was a fun, enjoyable, exciting day. Ohio football is amazing, and we should all just be thankful that we are blessed to be able to have this outlet of life every fall. May God bless every yappi poster and my hope is that we just appreciate what those 15-18 year kids do year round to give us such great HS football.

Last edited:
But what do you think about how other states already do this? Doesn't that in itself validate Douglass' point. And btw, he's not the only one who said this. Both Bob Gregg and Jay Minton made comments about private schools having a competitive advantage.
Open Enrollment, Open Enrollment, 80 % public schools have it. Where did Springfield pick up that nice QB they had? Public schools with good football programs in D1 recruit. don't be naive. Check out what Glenville did to get down from D2 to D4 just to have a stronger chance to win state Championship. Set up a phony Academy to have kids in academy not count in enrollment figures for sports. They play Wyoming for title.

The link below is a good read....
Drive around SW Ohio and SE Indiana, You will see Elder and LaSalle signs as far east as Brookville Indiana and East central school district.
(Colerain and Harrison are loaded in them. ST X hits Forest park and Fairfield pretty hard.
Moeller has recruiting signs as far north as Wilmington. There are still the NKY folk that send their kids across the river for a quality education as well.
With that said, Public schools have open enrolment, hell parents open enroll not just for athletics but also for educational opportunities.
Career centers get students that open enroll to a feeder school to attend CTE, the student may play sports for the feeder and never step foot in the door of the school for education.
https://law.justia.com/cases/federal/district-courts/FSupp/591/1538/2388721/

Great season Wildcats. Proud to see back to back runs win or lose that is hard to accomplish. Congrats Eds on the win size was the difference in this one and Springfield young oline struggled on the edge. Looking at rosters Eds will be the favorite again next crazy to believe most of that team is juniors

Congrats to Ed's. Sad to see Springfield coach compain about public vs private. Less excuses - more accountability. I for one enjoy watching public vs private and think high tides raise all ships. East coast schools that divide the two still see the same teams winning championships year in and year out. See yall next year

Open Enrollment, Open Enrollment, 80 % public schools have it. Where did Springfield pick up that nice QB they had? Public schools with good football programs in D1 recruit. don't be naive. Check out what Glenville did to get down from D2 to D4 just to have a stronger chance to win state Championship. Set up a phony Academy to have kids in academy not count in enrollment figures for sports. They play Wyoming for title.
I wondered how Glenville dropped down from D1 years ago to where they are now. As for Schondelmyer, his family sold their house and moved. They bought a new one. I don't know anything else about it but I haven't seen or heard that he was recruited to SHS. I would like to know details about where St Ed's star players came from and their football backgrounds before HS for last year's and this year's teams.

Congrats to Ed's. Sad to see Springfield coach compain about public vs private. Less excuses - more accountability. I for one enjoy watching public vs private and think high tides raise all ships. East coast schools that divide the two still see the same teams winning championships year in and year out. See yall next year
My school has had some epic battles with private schools......just makes it sweeter when ya win.

But no one said every single private school has the competitive advantage. Just some of them.

Status
Not open for further replies.