Division I Cleveland/Copley Region (Region 2)

cardzfan1234

Wednesday: Green vs. Hoban
Thursday: St Edward vs Mentor

Here is my preview of the four teams playing: https://mentorfootball.blogspot.com/2022/03/2022-region-2-preview.html

Green and St Eds were definitely "supposed" to be here. Mentor and Hoban were not nearly as likely. Hoban was the 5th highest seed at their district. Mentor was in a "down season" and playing in a district with a very, very talented Brush squad. Hoban is very young, relying on underclassmen. It would be popular to believe that St Eds and Green are the favorites to meet in the regional final. But I don't think that Mentor and Hoban are that big of underdogs.

Are there any seniors for Mentor or Ed's who played varsity minutes against Green 3 years ago?
If anybody from Ed’s, it would be Bova but they had some senior laden classes and he may have been a reserve player. I believe he is a 4 year varsity player, but can’t remember. EP01 will know.

If anybody from Ed’s, it would be Bova but they had some senior laden classes and he may have been a reserve player. I believe he is a 4 year varsity player, but can’t remember. EP01 will know.
I think Bova was on the JV his freshman year. Varsity rotational guy by his sophomore year.

Mentor and St Eds have played in the regional round twice. Both games were at Cleveland State.

The first was in 2010. Mentor had avenged a regular season loss to the Eagles in Lakewood. Mentor was down double digits in the first half, but pulled out a huge 61-57 win. This was the regional final, so the win gave Mentor their first ever trip to the state semifinal. At the time, it was the biggest win in program history.

Several years later, Mentor played St Eds in a regional semifinal in 2017. The Eagles had talent all over the place that included a strong freshman class (featuring Grant Huffman) and steady upperclassmen leadership (Schmock). Mentor started off strong and got a nice early lead after the 1st quarter. Then St Eds completely dominated the middle quarters. Their defense controlled the game and Eagles won, 62-43.

Outside of the anomaly in the 2010-11 regular season matchup that saw both teams scored over 100 if memory serves me right, these coaches will be battling for a much lower scoring game. I expect the game to be in the 60's. Mentor has to shoot well from beyond the arc to win, but they also can't just settle on that shot alone. They have guys who can mix it up inside, so hopefully they don't abandon attacking the paint.

Although Mentor shoots a lot of 3’s, they have attacked the basket very well. Any one of their starters can attack the hoop off of their motion offense. I’m sure they will do the same against St.Ed’s. Should be a great game.

Can Hoban keep it rolling and knock off Ed's?
St. Edward appeared to be reeling a bit at the end of the year. But they seem to have righted the ship. IMO, this team isn't on par with some of their powerhouse teams of the past, but the Eagles still are VERY good. And Bova is a heckuva player. Hoban is playing its best basketball of the year at the right time! And Jonas Taylor is special. Hoban can win, but I think the Eagles will prevail.