division 5 2022

dograt

Looking at the early numbers, Looks like reigning champion Versailles might be leaving d5 for d6.

Coldwater and Milton-Union might both be coming in to d5.

Who else looks like they are going to be coming in or leaving d5?

i believe Preble Shawnee returns a small but super shifty and athletic kid at QB? Taft will be a FORCE.

Coldwater
Taft
Preble Shawnee
Milton Union
Springfield Shawnee

who i see leading the way in R20.

Versailles and West Lib were the 2 most northern teams in R20. It is possible Coldwater goes North instead of South.

Taft's number is TBD. No idea where they will land.

Preble Shawnee's number (156) and CB number from last year (2) and last year's cutoff would put Shawnee in d6. Alot of if's there, but they will fall as a big 6 or a small 5.

Springfield Shawnee's number is 216, last year's cutoff for d4 was 209. They could bump up too.

Roger Bacon is up 14 boys (196). Their last CB number (13) would put them exactly at the last cutoff. It will be interesting where they fall.

Reading is up 31 boys, but a small CB number should keep them in d5.

There is potential for only 4 schools from last years top 9 in region 20 to return to the region! (Reading, Brookville, Mariemont, Purcell Marian). and PM is small, but had a huge CB number last time (63).

Last edited:
Versailles and West Lib were the 2 most northern teams in R20. It is possible Coldwater goes North instead of South.

Taft's number is TBD. No idea where they will land.

Preble Shawnee's number (156) and CB number from last year (2) and last year's cutoff would put Shawnee in d6. Alot of if's there, but they will fall as a big 6 or a small 5.

Springfield Shawnee's number is 216, last year's cutoff for d4 was 209. They could bump up too.

Roger Bacon is up 14 boys (196). Their last CB number (13) would put them exactly at the last cutoff. It will be interesting where they fall.

Reading is up 31 boys, but a small CB number should keep them in d5.

There is potential for only 4 schools from last years top 9 in region 20 to return to the region! (Reading, Brookville, Mariemont, Purcell Marian). and PM is small, but had a huge CB number last time (63).
you bring up a good point with cutoffs. that’s going to tell a lot when drawing the regions. Coldwater could get thrown into 18 just as easily as 20, but my bet is on 20. i think Preble Shawnee stays D5? Greeneview could bump up to D5, they’re bound to have a great year next year. Springfield Shawnee probably does bump up to D4

Coldwater vs Taft for the region championship. (assuming the regions are as we expect).

It appears that Kirtland is headed to D6, is the rest of D6 playing for 2nd place?
Kirtland is indeed dropping to D6. I was caught a bit off guard by the numbers myself; as the Hornets went from 166 boys to 137 from one cycle to the next. This may be a reason why they are going back to the small-school division of their conference beginning in 2023.

A team that is also dropping out of D5 is Garaway who I think is returning a lot of pieces this upcoming season in Region 21. It is interesting that the two state finalists in D5 both dropped to D6.

A team that I will keep my eye on is Ironton who jumped from 160 boys to 183 from last cycle to this one. Considering their CB# has been around 20 or so, that would put them on the border of D5 & D4 if I have my numbers correct…

Harvest Prep has a count of 116 but have had a large CB#. They could be a tough D5 school again.

How far did Kirtland’s enrollment drop?
By about 30-40 kids overall. Just sounds to me like there are some small classes making their way through. The last few classes graduated around 100-115 kids overall. Now that number may look closer to 85-90 or so for the next few years.

Looks like D5 will have a bump overall. D4 is rough, especially when you are playing with d5 enrollment numbers.
Look for Taft, Coldwater, Milton Union to lead D5 R20. MU returns almost everyone from 2021.

Looks like D5 will have a bump overall. D4 is rough, especially when you are playing with d5 enrollment numbers.
Look for Taft, Coldwater, Milton Union to lead D5 R20. MU returns almost everyone from 2021.
Do you think Valley View has a chance of dropping to d5? with enrollment at 191 but with a 0 CB with 239 in 2018.
Waynesville looks close too with enrollment 179 and only a CB of 8 with 201 in 2018. I know it depends on the cut off but there's a bit of a distance to the old d4 cut off at 209.

Do you think Valley View has a chance of dropping to d5? with enrollment at 191 but with a 0 CB with 239 in 2018.
Waynesville looks close too with enrollment 179 and only a CB of 8 with 201 in 2018. I know it depends on the cut off but there's a bit of a distance to the old d4 cut off at 209.
absolutely. Both look to be d5. Maybe the cutoff will be dropping this time around too?

Elyria Catholic returns 5 all Ohioans (1st and 2nd team). They should be pretty good
EC may bump to D4 assuming their CB remains the same. They had a 22 boy increase from the last count (152 in 2018 to 174 in 2021). Previous CB was 40 which would put them close to 215.

absolutely. Both look to be d5. Maybe the cutoff will be dropping this time around too?
I think you're right about this. No way to tell for sure but I copied the enrollment numbers from OHSAA into Excel and did the same with 2018 numbers (the last time adjustments were made). After a quick subtraction formula I took the average for all schools. On average number of boys have dropped by 6 so it would seem to reason the division cutoffs would drop by a similar amount. That's assuming CB hasn't made significant changes across the board.

When will the new divisional breakdowns come out? I'm thinking more schools will move to d5.
i think there will be some shifting- but with enrollment in Ohio dropping as a whole, i think the cutoff numbers are gonna be a little lower for each division. new regions should be publicized in june.

integrity system.
March 11-18, 2022- OHSAA Office calculates governance classifications after accepted appeal updates
Late March 2022- Board of Directors approves final enrollments and classifications
OHSAA updates website with final enrollments and classifications (A,AA,AAA) and notifies schools
April 1-29, 2022- School administrators able to run for DAB positions based on new classifications
May 1-15, 2022- Referendum/DAB Election Voting
June 2022 BOD meeting-