Division 4 2022 Early Thoughts and Predictions?!

maple, they are much improved from when your truckers with multiple D1 guys on the team played them.

I think they can make some noise, but aren't a favorite quite yet.

I'd look for Mentor Lake to rebound, I assume Ursuline will be excellent again as Reardon will find guys to bring in. VASJ will be good, but with the transfers everyone mentions there, will they bump to D3? Canton South and Perry will be solid in region 13 as well

Region 14 is a gauntlet. VW would be a solid choice to make it back to the regional final. Clyde loses a lot, Bellevue loses a good amout as does shelby. Bellevue and Clyde are great programs though who can contend for a regional title most years. Wauseon can also be a dark horse type team and Keystone will have a couple solid players, their schedule is terribly weak though.

If Hartley is back in division 4, I like them as the favorite. As someone mentioned, they have had a ton of success in D4 and I would think that would continue. BC loses quite a bit and will have a coaching change. St. Clairsville and IV are usually always solid in that region as well.

Finally in region 16, the usual suspects, Wyoming, Mcnick, Massie, and as someone said, Milton Union will be interesting to watch as well. I don't know what Eaton and Waverly have back, but if memory serves me, they were good last year too. What about Indian Hill?

D4 has been a pretty fun division and great for public schools. Unless more privates find their way back into d4 and reassert dominance.
It is true that some Ytown area boys may find their way to Wick Ave. because of Reardon's reputation. But there are other factors...Mooney's demise (war zone southside), top quality education, safer environment next door to YSU, easy access via expressways throughout the valley, etc. Parents are willing to pay higher tuition for Ursuline for reasons that far surpass athletics. Ursuline & Hartley were scheduled to play the opener again but Brookfield has agreed to play the Irish at Stambaugh instead. I agree Harley in div 4 will have a big impact. Having connections at both McNicholas & Ursuline I would have loved to have seen that match up in the final last December. The two met one year for the state baseball finals championship.

When Glenville came into Avon last year I recall almost every player in their line up seemed to be a sophomore and they didn’t even have a season the year before. They still pushed Chardon hard in Week 1 and matured into a dangerous playoff team by the end. They will be at Avon again this year and I’m expecting it to be a good game. The Tarblooders definitely will have the talent to win D4.

Port Clinton lost a lot, including their Head Coach. Evidently, cupboard will be empty for a bit

Van Wert should make some noise. The other Region 14 schools potentially making noise: Bellevue, Clyde, and Shelby. For the record, Bellevue-Shelby back on the schedule, Week 3
Shelby loses a lot including the starting QB and top WRs. Not sure who they have coming up through the ranks. The backup QB did not get much playing time last year to judge either way.

Looking at these enrollment numbers so far it looks like Mcnick will stay d4 if the cut offs stay close to the same, and looks like Alter and Fenwick will be coming back to d4.
I was speculating because I believe Mcnick enrollment has increased since the last update. Honestly don’t have a clue how the process works. Where are you seeing enrollment numbers?

Last edited:
Looking at these enrollment numbers so far it looks like Mcnick will stay d4 if the cut offs stay close to the same, and looks like Alter and Fenwick will be coming back to d4.
after competitive balance is factored in, i think Alter will stay D3? not sure.

I was speculating because I believe Mcnick enrollment has increased since the last update. Honestly don’t have a clue how the process works. Where are you seeing enrollment numbers?
Not sure how to share the link but someone posted a link in the DV thread. If I'm reading this right, it showed Mcnick with 197 boys with a CB of 32 for 229 that put them in d4 for last season. D4 cut off was between 209-271 last year. This will more than likely change a little this year, as far as cut offs numbers. The proposed enrollment numbers for Mcnick this year has gone up to 212 but there is no CB numbers yet so its kind of a guess, but to me it looks like basing it off of the last CB number 32, your CB could be 50ish and probably be d4 still. This is all speculation, not knowing cutoffs for D4 or competitive balance numbers its just guessing. Just fun off season talk.

after competitive balance is factored in, i think Alter will stay D3? not sure.
Possibly, I personally hope they come back to D4. I think it makes region 16 more exciting to watch to have them back. Looks like their enrollment took a big hit from 230 in 2018 to 189 now. Their last CB in 2019 was 60 and with that 189 enrollment could drop them back, of course speculation depending on those CB and cut offs.

If Alter and Stuebenville drop down with McNick staying, that makes Region 16 an absolute force in small school football. Legitimately 8 teams each year that can win it. Compare that versus many of the other regions where it is increasingly top heavy.

There could be a Major shuffle with this Division as of right now the numbers from Akron Public Schools indicate that Akron East may shift to D IV with 244 boys and that also depends on off Campus learning to as well.
region 13 most likely will be the assigned region.
Keep in mind that there are some Districts that the OHSAA has floating enrollment numbers with.

Possibly, I personally hope they come back to D4. I think it makes region 16 more exciting to watch to have them back. Looks like their enrollment took a big hit from 230 in 2018 to 189 now. Their last CB in 2019 was 60 and with that 189 enrollment could drop them back, of course speculation depending on those CB and cut offs.
Having Alter back in R16 would make an already tuff region, better! I love watching Massie and Alter games. Great competition makes you better. Look back to Regional champs over the last 10 or 15 years. Alter and Massie, fighting it out. after Alter move up, Wyoming started making it into regional finals. If this happens going to be even harder to get out of R16.

If Alter and Stuebenville drop down with McNick staying, that makes Region 16 an absolute force in small school football. Legitimately 8 teams each year that can win it. Compare that versus many of the other regions where it is increasingly top heavy.
Alter would be back in R16 but Stuebenville would go back to R13. Add Hartley back to R15 plus the others added to D4. It's going to be wonderful to watch this play out.

Not saying they will get to the Region 16 final again but McNicholas who lost to the state champs when they failed to convert a 2pt try has most of their skilled positions players returning, 2 wideouts, TE, and RB Ty Snyder who could emerge as one of the top backs in the state. They lost a good QB but I’ve heard good things about the backup who I think will be a junior. There is also a rising Soph who could see some action. They did lose some studs on defense especially LB and at safety. Top 2 Oline were Seniors as well.
Sounds as if McNick has scheduled Wheelersburg for Week 2@the Penn. Wheelersburg appears to have lost in the Region 19 final last year and ended the season 10-4. Should be a competitive game.

i think R-13 will see the same top teams this year, (pending CB numbers). Ursuline being the defending champs of the region will be the favorites, VASJ will be right there but can they improve the line to be able to go up against bigger, faster and stronger competition and avoid being out played like in the 2nd round game against Glenville. It’s been known Rotsky can’t win the big one and idk what the team will look like this season. The Vikings look to be beefing up their schedule as they will be playing an independent schedule and will host Hartley in Week 7 and face a good Wheeling Park (WV), Wooster and Holy Name teams that have had recent success.

Sounds as if McNick has scheduled Wheelersburg for Week 2@the Penn. Wheelersburg appears to have lost in the Region 19 final last year and ended the season 10-4. Should be a competitive game.
One of the cream of the crop programs in not only southern ohio but the state, that will be a great game