Division 4 2022 Early Thoughts and Predictions?!

CBusGuy23

What can we expect out of Division 4 in 2022?

Our 2021 Final 4 consist of State Champ Clinton Massie, Runner Up Youngstown Ursuline as well as Port Clinton and Bloom Carroll.
Can we expect any of these teams back in Canton or will someone else takeover their region?

Thoughts?

Bishop Hartley supposedly returns to D4 — the division that’s been most friendly to them since 2010.

Not saying they will get to the Region 16 final again but McNicholas who lost to the state champs when they failed to convert a 2pt try has most of their skilled positions players returning, 2 wideouts, TE, and RB Ty Snyder who could emerge as one of the top backs in the state. They lost a good QB but I’ve heard good things about the backup who I think will be a junior. There is also a rising Soph who could see some action. They did lose some studs on defense especially LB and at safety. Top 2 Oline were Seniors as well.

Port Clinton lost a lot, including their Head Coach. Evidently, cupboard will be empty for a bit

Van Wert should make some noise. The other Region 14 schools potentially making noise: Bellevue, Clyde, and Shelby. For the record, Bellevue-Shelby back on the schedule, Week 3

wyoming has cj hester back, r16 POY, its qb, its entire O line, and all its receivers. d lost a few seniors, but still strong. probably not as good as the 18 team that won state, but better on paper than the 20 team that won R16.

I look for the normal players in R16 , Wyoming and Milton Union will be senior heavy teams with lots of returners. McNick, Eaton, Valley View will be back in the mix. CM is returning most of its offensive line but has to fill most it's skill positions. I believe CM JV went 8-1, with wins over Troy, Anderson and Lasalle so there are pieces in there to reload.

I look for Milton-Union to be in r20. The state using the 2018 numbers for 4 years has hurt the Bulldogs.

Port Clinton lost a lot, including their Head Coach. Evidently, cupboard will be empty for a bit

Van Wert should make some noise. The other Region 14 schools potentially making noise: Bellevue, Clyde, and Shelby. For the record, Bellevue-Shelby back on the schedule, Week 3
Very excited to see how region 14 plays out. Van Wert returns the best player in the region and some good pieces around him. Can't get over the size of Port Clinton from last year.

We’ll see
what's there to see? Their closest moment to win a State Title was as DI while going through Region 1 suspects. Lost big to Loveland in II, and heck, didn't stand a chance against my Norwalk Truckers a couple years ago in III.

Lesser enrollment, lesser talent

what's there to see? Their closest moment to win a State Title was as DI while going through Region 1 suspects. Lost big to Loveland in II, and heck, didn't stand a chance against my Norwalk Truckers a couple years ago in III.

They’re loaded for D4. Had almost no seniors last year and have guys transferring in. Like I said, we’ll see

I mean they dominated VASJ who was seen as one of the D4 favorites and it took a 70 yard Irish td pass with under 2 minutes left for Ursuline to beat Glenville. The Tarblooders were clearly a top team in D4 that certainly was good enough to win the championship.

maple, they are much improved from when your truckers with multiple D1 guys on the team played them.

I think they can make some noise, but aren't a favorite quite yet.

I'd look for Mentor Lake to rebound, I assume Ursuline will be excellent again as Reardon will find guys to bring in. VASJ will be good, but with the transfers everyone mentions there, will they bump to D3? Canton South and Perry will be solid in region 13 as well

Region 14 is a gauntlet. VW would be a solid choice to make it back to the regional final. Clyde loses a lot, Bellevue loses a good amout as does shelby. Bellevue and Clyde are great programs though who can contend for a regional title most years. Wauseon can also be a dark horse type team and Keystone will have a couple solid players, their schedule is terribly weak though.

If Hartley is back in division 4, I like them as the favorite. As someone mentioned, they have had a ton of success in D4 and I would think that would continue. BC loses quite a bit and will have a coaching change. St. Clairsville and IV are usually always solid in that region as well.

Finally in region 16, the usual suspects, Wyoming, Mcnick, Massie, and as someone said, Milton Union will be interesting to watch as well. I don't know what Eaton and Waverly have back, but if memory serves me, they were good last year too. What about Indian Hill?

D4 has been a pretty fun division and great for public schools. Unless more privates find their way back into d4 and reassert dominance.

maple, they are much improved from when your truckers with multiple D1 guys on the team played them.

I think they can make some noise, but aren't a favorite quite yet.

I'd look for Mentor Lake to rebound, I assume Ursuline will be excellent again as Reardon will find guys to bring in. VASJ will be good, but with the transfers everyone mentions there, will they bump to D3? Canton South and Perry will be solid in region 13 as well

Region 14 is a gauntlet. VW would be a solid choice to make it back to the regional final. Clyde loses a lot, Bellevue loses a good amout as does shelby. Bellevue and Clyde are great programs though who can contend for a regional title most years. Wauseon can also be a dark horse type team and Keystone will have a couple solid players, their schedule is terribly weak though.

If Hartley is back in division 4, I like them as the favorite. As someone mentioned, they have had a ton of success in D4 and I would think that would continue. BC loses quite a bit and will have a coaching change. St. Clairsville and IV are usually always solid in that region as well.

Finally in region 16, the usual suspects, Wyoming, Mcnick, Massie, and as someone said, Milton Union will be interesting to watch as well. I don't know what Eaton and Waverly have back, but if memory serves me, they were good last year too. What about Indian Hill?

D4 has been a pretty fun division and great for public schools. Unless more privates find their way back into d4 and reassert dominance.
Wauseon has some really good athletes, but they just need to figure some things out up front.

R16 usually has a very strong region champion. I see the typical cast of characters, but favor Wyoming with what they have returning. Clinton Massie will be strong even though they lose a lot of their skill players. They'll be returning a lot of the OLine which is the heart of their system.

Outside of R16, I agree with much of what's been mentioned. Some of it could depend on the division realignment. If Hartley comes back to DIV, I expect them to definitely be in the mix.

I agree on Glenville as well. They'll be dangerous, especially in DIV.

We aren't talking D1, or D2 anymore. They are down in D4. Believe me, they were a top 5 talent team in D4 last year. If they did not make a bad play call inside the 1 yard line against Ursuline, they maybe win state

I watched Glenville in person last season. There may be better "teams" in D4. But there's not a better collection of talent on one team.

I watched Glenville in person last season. There may be better "teams" in D4. But there's not a better collection of talent on one team.
That’s been the case for years there is they’re always talented but lack of coaching and playing as a “team” gets them in the end. Maybe if they were a team and played that way they’d have more than just 2 state runner ups in their history.

PC returns their 3 year starting qb, 2 offensive linemen and their TE. They lost their entire secondary and 2 receivers who went over 900 yds each. The cupboard isn’t empty. At least not for this year.

A program to watch in the future if they remain in region 14 is Lutheran West. They are the only private school in that region and are coached by 12 year NFL veteran John Parella. He brought in some Freshman from Cleveland last year and he is actively recruiting. check out this website

Last edited:
A program to watch in the future if they remain in region 14 is Lutheran West. They are the only private school in that region and are coached by 12 year NFL veteran John Parella. He brought in some Freshman from Cleveland last year and he is actively recruiting. I mean check out this website

the question will be how close are they to the d3 bubble and how many of the kids from cleveland they got in their enrollment count will add to their CB numbers.

the question will be how close are they to the d3 bubble and how many of the kids from cleveland they got in their enrollment count will add to their CB numbers.
They had 182 boys which would place them in division 5. They actually moved to division 4 due to competitive balance.

That’s been the case for years there is they’re always talented but lack of coaching and playing as a “team” gets them in the end. Maybe if they were a team and played that way they’d have more than just 2 state runner ups in their history.
I totally get where you're coming from. They must be considered a threat though especially in D4.

Glenville has multiple transfers this year from Euclid, Eds and some other places. At the D4 level they can make a run. Will be interested to see how they do this year. Will be interested to see where they are with the enrollment numbers. Do they stay at 4 or move up to 3?

Waverly will be losing practically all their skill positions going into 2022. Losing a great trio of receivers and the starting qb from last season. Will return the main running back which looked very promising toward the end of the season. Returning I believe 4/5 offensive linemen as well. As far as defense the secondary is losing a lot also the linebackers will be thinned out from graduation. Not saying it will be a down year but i am doubtful it will be like the last few

Waverly will be losing practically all their skill positions going into 2022. Losing a great trio of receivers and the starting qb from last season. Will return the main running back which looked very promising toward the end of the season. Returning I believe 4/5 offensive linemen as well. As far as defense the secondary is losing a lot also the linebackers will be thinned out from graduation. Not saying it will be a down year but i am doubtful it will be like the last few
Waverly has been a consistently good, playoff type program the past 5 years. I would expect them to regroup and be competitive once again.