Division 3 region 10

5. Padua vs. 8. Holy Name: seeding wise neither should be here. Talent wise, not totally unexpected. Holy Name dominated in Week 1, but both teams left points off the board. Talent wise a wash too. Padua has the revenge factor as well. But Holy Name is starting to put everything together. Defense never was the issue and offense is showing signs of serious life. Holy Name, which completely dominated Norton in all facets tonight, beats their cross town neighbors again.

2. West Holmes vs. 3. Rocky River: the opposite in terms of seeding. Again, don't know enough to say for sure but this seems like a sneaky game of the week type because both may be flying under the radar with all eyes at least in the NE part of the state being on Region 9. This is a gut pick, since I do know River has faced some tough competition in the misfit toys conference (that was better than anyone would have thought). So will go with Rocky River in a down to the wire game.
Talk about a Region with a little bit of everything. Padua gets rematch of week 1 loss to Holy Name in the parochial side of the bracket. The public side has a school that sits alongside an interstate vs a school on a 2 lane road in middle of nowhere.

West Holmes is the geographic oddball in this quartet, but they're a really solid team. Prefer to spread it out, but won Friday with the RB toting 30+ for 175. They're one of those teams that will benefit from the move to carpet in the remaining rounds. Trying to figure out how Rocky River lost to Lakewood & then took Glenville to OT!?!?

Don't want to wish away the upcoming week, but next Friday looks like a hoot!

Would that be terrible for both schools. I’m sure HN doesn’t want to win that way. And would be heartbreaking for Padua kids.
That's for sure. I know the players for both schools were hyped when they found out they were going to meet again last Friday. Hopefully nothing major. Seems like there are a couple Padua posters on here so just was hoping they may have more insight on it.

As far as I know so far, the game is still on. There's been a recent uptick in positive cases at school and word is that there's like 150 kids in quarantine, but no word as to how many football players were affected. Assuming they're vaccinated and are asymptomatic, they might be good to go. It's possible that some of the kids being quarantined are football players being done as a precautionary step. I know last year they quarantined all fall athletes who were involved in playoffs until their team was eliminated (e.g. the volleyball team ;) ), but they were also hybrid learning last year.

WH vs Holy name. Just like all drew it up right? ?. The junior Biebe might be the dirtiest player I have seen in a long time.
I'm not too surprised by the matchup. West Holmes is undefeated and was the No. 2 seed for a reason. But I don't think anybody should think that West Holmes caught a break by facing Holy Name.

After all, Holy Name was in this same spot a year ago and fell 3 points short against Tiffin (which knocked out West Holmes a week earlier). This year, it took some time, and Holy Name has done a lot to shoot themselves in the foot almost all season long (mainly offensively) and they took some lumps against some very good teams early on, but they are starting to put it together and are a couple of plays away from coming in on an 8 game win streak (though as easily as they could/should have beat Valley Forge and Buckeye, they could have also lost to North Olmsted, even though it was a game they mostly controlled).

Even what appears to be some early lopsided losses, they were mostly games that were closer than the final indicated.

VASJ was a 7-0 game up until about 2-3 minutes before half when Holy Name imploded, giving up a TD, then turning the ball over deep in their territory and suddenly it was 21-0. They came out and got one back to start the third to maybe make it a game again, but VASJ responded with another TD to go up 28-7 and that was that. VASJ was better, but outside that couple minute spurt it was competitive. And say what you want about VASJ, talent-wise, they were as good as anybody from D3 down.

Same the next week against Riverside. It was nearly the same situation, where it was a 7-0 game just before half and HN went three-and-out and forced into a punt after making a stop that hopefully would've gotten them in at just 7-0. They then gave up a late TD to go down 14-0. Then Riverside got the ball to start the third and scored again. HN answered with a TD to make it 21-7, but Riverside answered back to put that away. But that was a solid football team and a tip your cap game.

Elyria Catholic (which is still around in D5 and I think could give Kirtland all they can handle) was an embarrassment, but I think was what was needed to bring this team together. It was a 7-7 game midway through the first half before the wheels fell off. It was pick-6, then a fumble deep in their own territory and suddenly 21-7 (that score seemed to be a theme in these losses, lol). Another pick 6 in the third and another fumble deep in their territory and the route was on. Like VASJ and Riverside, Elyria Catholic was better, but not nearly by as much as the score showed.

Anyway, the offense has come a long way since those games and still has not put everything together. Norton was close (and I usually don't blame refs, but that one was blatant where they tried to do anything they could to make it competitive ... the game was a complete mismatch that night). Padua was pretty close to putting it together (especially the passing game), but some of the self-inflicted penalties popped back up and some questionable clock management nearly cost them in a game that should not have came down to the last play (though Padua's QB made some great throws to get them back in it).

Once you get to this point, you got to be playing your best to advance. That's still the question with Holy Name. The record is deceiving and they are getting better, but still it's a team that definitely hasn't peaked. If they can, they will be a tough out for anybody remaining. If they continue to make those 4-5 bone-headed mistakes that flip the scoreboard, they will be going home.

I'm not too surprised by the matchup. West Holmes is undefeated and was the No. 2 seed for a reason. But I don't think anybody should think that West Holmes caught a break by facing Holy Name.

After all, Holy Name was in this same spot a year ago and fell 3 points short against Tiffin (which knocked out West Holmes a week earlier). This year, it took some time, and Holy Name has done a lot to shoot themselves in the foot almost all season long (mainly offensively) and they took some lumps against some very good teams early on, but they are starting to put it together and are a couple of plays away from coming in on an 8 game win streak (though as easily as they could/should have beat Valley Forge and Buckeye, they could have also lost to North Olmsted, even though it was a game they mostly controlled).

Even what appears to be some early lopsided losses, they were mostly games that were closer than the final indicated.

VASJ was a 7-0 game up until about 2-3 minutes before half when Holy Name imploded, giving up a TD, then turning the ball over deep in their territory and suddenly it was 21-0. They came out and got one back to start the third to maybe make it a game again, but VASJ responded with another TD to go up 28-7 and that was that. VASJ was better, but outside that couple minute spurt it was competitive. And say what you want about VASJ, talent-wise, they were as good as anybody from D3 down.

Same the next week against Riverside. It was nearly the same situation, where it was a 7-0 game just before half and HN went three-and-out and forced into a punt after making a stop that hopefully would've gotten them in at just 7-0. They then gave up a late TD to go down 14-0. Then Riverside got the ball to start the third and scored again. HN answered with a TD to make it 21-7, but Riverside answered back to put that away. But that was a solid football team and a tip your cap game.

Elyria Catholic (which is still around in D5 and I think could give Kirtland all they can handle) was an embarrassment, but I think was what was needed to bring this team together. It was a 7-7 game midway through the first half before the wheels fell off. It was pick-6, then a fumble deep in their own territory and suddenly 21-7 (that score seemed to be a theme in these losses, lol). Another pick 6 in the third and another fumble deep in their territory and the route was on. Like VASJ and Riverside, Elyria Catholic was better, but not nearly by as much as the score showed.

Anyway, the offense has come a long way since those games and still has not put everything together. Norton was close (and I usually don't blame refs, but that one was blatant where they tried to do anything they could to make it competitive ... the game was a complete mismatch that night). Padua was pretty close to putting it together (especially the passing game), but some of the self-inflicted penalties popped back up and some questionable clock management nearly cost them in a game that should not have came down to the last play (though Padua's QB made some great throws to get them back in it).

Once you get to this point, you got to be playing your best to advance. That's still the question with Holy Name. The record is deceiving and they are getting better, but still it's a team that definitely hasn't peaked. If they can, they will be a tough out for anybody remaining. If they continue to make those 4-5 bone-headed mistakes that flip the scoreboard, they will be going home.
There's a lot to unpack here. I don't think anyone would assume that simply because HN was 8 seed that this one will be easy. Took down the 1 seed & took down Padua who beat the team most thought was the "oh crap, we got them" team of this region (Senior).

That said, for those that haven't seen them (and based on some of the comments from northern based folks last week, I still think that's a lot of people) - West Holmes is GOOD. And they actually got better from week 12 - 13. Not because they played Rocky River with their backup QB (they did), but because the shift from their homefield to turf actually helped highlight their speed. And I don't just mean #24 (who's a Dude). You watch Rocky River game and the LBs are flying sideline to sideline & DBs were everywhere. At times it seemed they were giving up the checkdown to the RB because they knew it could be covered up.

Saying all that - West Holmes is not the kind of team you want to have "bone-headed" mistakes because they are going to make 4-5 plays themselves without your help. You give them any help and you'll be left looking like #47 from Rocky River who looks like he might have got too many "go sit in time-out" as a child and not enough "you wait until your dad gets home".

I have said all season that this is Holmes region to lose.

They seem to be peaking at the right time. Putting up very impressive offensive numbers.

I see this game starting off slow and close and Holmes pulling away and putting it out of reach before the 4th starts.

I don’t think Holy Name have seen a wide open offense like WH all year. I am sure they have not seen a player like Sam Williams Dixon. I can see the game being close for the first half but Dixon wears down every team and he will for sure be the best player on the field

Game is in Mansfield. Horrible call by the OHSAA. Over an hour for both teams.
At least it's in a D3 stadium. Massillon/Green (D2) is in Canal Fulton Northwest (D4) stadium.

Should be plenty of room & might be one of the funnest places to watch a game. Not having a track puts the fans right on top of the field.

At least it's in a D3 stadium. Massillon/Green (D2) is in Canal Fulton Northwest (D4) stadium.

Should be plenty of room & might be one of the funnest places to watch a game. Not having a track puts the fans right on top of the field.
I saw that with Massillon. Why the heck would you put that game there? The stadium holds 3500 people

I don’t think Holy Name have seen a wide open offense like WH all year. I am sure they have not seen a player like Sam Williams Dixon. I can see the game being close for the first half but Dixon wears down every team and he will for sure be the best player on the field
I agree on wide open offense being something that they haven't really seen.

Disagree on the second part. I've watched some highlights and Sam Williams-Dixon looks legit. Reminds me a bit of Mentor's Evan Harper the couple times they were able to use him in the hybrid role (that is very, very high praise). I know Holy Name didn't face Mentor, just my observation.

But Holy Name did face Ty Howard and Joey Webb from VASJ, who are both near that level. Though Howard was mainly the punisher while Webb played more the role SWD seems to play for WH.

They also faced Kentrell Marks (Purdue commit). That may be the closest comparison because while Forge ran a wing-T and used misdirection with another talented back in Eddie Starks, they did use Marks in the passing game to try to get him in space.

Hakeem Quaran from Lakewood (2,000 yard rusher I believe) was another talented athlete they had to face. Same with Marquise Hall from Padua (twice). They were different in that they are smaller, quicker guys, still top notch athletes.

The North Olmsted back (no. 7 IIR) was pretty good too and they used him like what it looks WH uses Williams-Dixon. The North Olmsted kid wasn't on the level as the others above, but was still a good looking player, IMO.

I'm not gonna argue that WH won't have the best player on the field. But I'll say this, as good as he looks, it won't be some "we never seen something like this before" thing for Holy Name.

I agree on wide open offense being something that they haven't really seen.

I'm not gonna argue that WH won't have the best player on the field. But I'll say this, as good as he looks, it won't be some "we never seen something like this before" thing for Holy Name.
Good points on the other folks Holy Name has played this year. Williams-Dixon is easily the most talented kid in the West Holmes area for years so I understand their excitement.

That said, the way they use him is REALLY fun & not something you tend to see often. Not talking about swing passes to the RB position, we're talking full WR routes on one play and then fullback lead counters on the next. And all from the same base formation with just a little motion to change it up.